• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Ultimadrago

So who's everyone's favorite characters?

My #1 is Toriel (Best GOAT mom) followed by Sans (Mysterious Skeleton with the humor of an elementary schooler).

I also like Undyne and the bird that generously flies you over the disproportionately small gap (for music alone).

Honorable mention for Easily Weirded Out Bunny Guy.

My #1 is Toriel (Best GOAT mom) followed by Sans (Mysterious Skeleton with the humor of an elementary schooler).

I also like Undyne and the bird that generously flies you over the disproportionately small gap (for music alone).

Undyne for sure

Runner up: Burgerpants. As someone who works at retail, he is my inner self.

Someone who I find rather humerus.

Ferrio

Banned

Undyne

Didn't care much for her until I saw her fight in neutral if you kill her vs her genocide fight.

poutmeter

Turns out he details what happened to him when he first woke up if you go genocide near the end. Though it's funny that he and Papyrus are friends, though I guess if anyone can win him over it's Papy. That explains his constant meet ups with him.

He tells his story when you walk through Asgore's home in the genocide run, sorry if I spoiled it for you.

As for Papyrus, I wouldn't call them friends. I think he was an interesting distraction to a bored Flowey, and someone to use when it suits him -like having Papyrus gather everyone to meet at the barrier.

Tibia honest, it's really hard to choose a favorite out of such a wonderful cast, but the skeleton bros sure tickled my funny bone.

When it comes to minor characters, I really like Doggo. The dogs in general are awesome.

Kangi

Favorite major character: (pacifist spoilers)
Asriel
. Runner-up: Sans.

Favorite side character: Monster Kid. Runner-up: Blooky.

Favorite minor character: Snowdrake. Runner-up: Onionsan.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Favorite major character: Sans
Runner-up: Undyne
Both for Genocide route.

Favorite side character: Napstablook
Runner-up: Burgerpants
They both make me laugh quite a bit. Blooky. <3

Favorite minor character:
KadNLCa.png

Runner-up: Annoying Dog
[REDACTED]

poutmeter

Runner-up: Undyne
Both for Genocide route.

I already liked both Sans and Undyne by the time I finished the neutral route, but the Genocide run made me appreciate both a lot more. Undyne was even more of a badass and Sans' character suddenly had a lot more depth. It's mainly why I love the Genocide route the best, despite the consequences of playing it.

DNAbro

Favorite major character: Flowey/
Asriel
(pacifist spoiler)
runner-up: Sans

Favorite side character: Monster Kid
runner-up: Burgerpants

favorite minor character: heats flamesmen
runner up: Snowdrake

Oh, if we're doing this:

Runner-up: Papyrus

Favorite side character: Burgerpants
Runner-up: Gerson (
"Ha, you can't kill me because I'm in a shop!"
This guy has some of the best dialogue lol)

Favorite minor character: Onionsan
Runner-up: Lesser Dog (
Annoying Dog can go straight to where Chara came from
)

mbpm1

Sans and Undyne are top, for expanded depth from Genocide. But also Papyrus.

Kolx

Just finished the pacifist ending and holy shit what an ending! I had to replay from scratch today because I killed some people in my first breakthrough. This game is a gem and I'm really glad I played it. The dialogues, the characters, the story is just top notch. Also
asriel :(

Inumbris

I finished this game a week ago, and holy hell I'm still thinking about it! I managed to get a Pacifist ending on my first run through and I felt that it was one of the most satisfying endings that I've experienced in a game.

PACIFIST Run:
I gave mercy to Flowey after the Neutral final boss fight, with befriending Alphys being the only requirement for Pacifist left. The parting message Flowey gives you after sparing him after Neutral victory, the visit to the True Lab, then the set-up by Flowey at The End and the Asriel reveal were all wonderfully done!

As for favourite character, I don't think I can go past Papyrus. Although I loved Undyne and her growth by the end of the game, and Toriel just made me feel so warm, Papyrus just made me laugh way to many times for me to pass up on him receiving top honours.

Now I'm listening to the soundtrack a whole bunch and reminiscing. I don't think I can ever bring myself to do a Genocide run; it would just feel too wrong after such a great finish.

Does this game support steam cloud storage of saves? Can I start playing it on my work computer and finish off at home like with some games?

The primary save files are not synced, they are in %LOCALAPPDATA%\UNDERTALE\ (C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\UNDERTALE, the folder is hidden by default) in Windows, the cloud is actually for a kind of other files that
track your world state that is consistent through all your saves.

Ultimadrago

Napsta and Tori are my favorite characters. Muffet is up there too.

Oh man, I forgot about Muffet! Alright, to redo in Kangi's proper-like format:

Favorite major character: Toriel
Runner-up: Sans

Favorite side character(s): Bratty and Catty
Runner-up: Muffet

Favorite minor character: Bird that flyeth over disproportionately small gap
Runner-up: Easily Weirded Out Bunny Guy

When it comes to minor characters, I really like Doggo. The dogs in general are awesome.

Agreed. The dogs are great fun!

Runner-up: Gerson (
"Ha, you can't kill me because I'm in a shop!"
This guy has some of the best dialogue lol)

Turtle Man is not talked about enough. I really liked him. The
Fluffybuns
story was sweet.

Undyne, easily. Both in vanilla and as
Undying the Undying,
for being so unexpected and so, so badass. They're only person to put up a fight after nearly 2-3 hours of playing, and they don't let up for even a second.

Not to mention the reason for why she's able to put up such a fight as the latter is straight outta Gurren Lagann in terms of defying the impossible; that's why I love her so much. She's got one of my favorite leitmotifs, too, and cooking with her is a hilarious experience.

NEO0MJ

As for Papyrus, I wouldn't call them friends. I think he was an interesting distraction to a bored Flowey, and someone to use when it suits him -like having Papyrus gather everyone to meet at the barrier.

Obviously. A guy like Flowey wouldn't call anyone a friend, but he still has fun messing with Papyrus. He still talks to him according to Sans, though keeping him ready also plays a role in that.

Now I'm listening to the soundtrack a whole bunch and reminiscing. I don't think I can ever bring myself to do a Genocide run; it would just feel too wrong after such a great finish.

But don't you want to know what happens and how different characters react when you kill everyone?

Doing Genocide Run and I am stuck on
Undyne the Undying entirely due to the fact I cannot keep up with the arrows part of her attacks. I can generally deal with the spears part of her attacks but the arrow are my weakness. Decided to get the items the increase my i-frames and that has helped a lot.

I swear am going to fucking enjoy killing her and sending her to hell with the rest of the freaks! I absolutely love the idea of killing the hero,

And no I have to intention of doing a Pacifist Run I don't want this world to have happiness.

mbpm1

Doing Genocide Run and I am stuck on
Undyne the Undying entirely due to the fact I cannot keep up with the arrows part of her attacks. I can generally deal with the spears part of her attacks but the arrow are my weakness. Decided to get the items the increase my i-frames and that has helped a lot.

I swear am going to fucking enjoy killing her and sending her to hell with the rest of the freaks! I absolutely love the idea of killing the hero,

And no I have to intention of doing a Pacifist Run I don't want this world to have happiness.

I love this game to bits. I instinctively did a pacifist playthrough first and got the true ending. Currently going through it again, once more on pacifist. The game itself is wonderful beyond reason.

But holy shit, what is with this fanbase? In an alarmingly big part it is becoming more obnoxious than the Kingdom Hearts fanboy league. And you REALLY need to try to achieve that. I'm so glad I went blind into the game, only following the advice given in the steam winter sale thread but a lot of people are having their experiences spoiled by assholes. I'm watching the recent ProJared let's play and he is literally slogging through the game. It's tainting the experience to the point where it's painful to watch him continue. A game, I am sure, he would be a lot more in favor of if it was not so overhyped and backseated.

At least you guys are normal.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Favorite character is Sans. I liked him at first but didn't love him, but the Genocide run sealed the deal.
His transition into finally getting serious, combined with the boss fight and music is probably the best "shit just got real" moment I've seen in recent memory. It had been strongly hinted that he's more than he seems in any playthrough, but it's the Genocide run that reveals the most about his character. And the fight... oh god, the fight is a huge difficulty spike, undermines a lot of game assumptions, and the music is awesome. It also makes you genuinely want to cheer for him because you're the bad guy in that route.

I like looking up playthrough videos just to see people's initial reactions to getting completely smashed by Sans.

Favorite minor character is probably Napstablook.

Bakkus

Just finished Genocide run and holy shit
If Undyne was hard then Sans was insane

Now that i've finished all the endings I have to say the game was really great. Don't think it deserves to win any best game ever awards like on Gamefaqs, but still an incredible experience.

Now there was some stuff I didn't quite understand like what was
Flowey's full backstory again? There was a lot which was said, I don't quite remember everything

Also from the pacifist ending
What purpose did the True Lab serve storywise, and what was the deal with everything in there being completely fucked up? Why was it necessary for me to complete that and activate those lights before I could get the pacifist ending?

Now that i've finished all the endings I have to say the game was really great. Don't think it deserves to win any best game ever awards like on Gamefaqs, but still an incredible experience.

Flowey's full backstory again? There was a lot which was said, I don't quite remember everything

What purpose did the True Lab serve storywise, and what was the deal with everything in there being completely fucked up? Why was it necessary for me to complete that and activate those lights before I could get the pacifist ending?

Your second spoiler is the answer to the first spoiler.
They were trying to inject Determination into a monster, but monsters couldn't take it. So they injected it into a flower, since flowers don't have souls.

Saikyo

Major Spoilers (all routes)

Edit: Just read Exterminieren post.

Asriel died after coming back from the barrier (Chara last wish, etc), he turned into dust in the throne room, so the flowers got it or maybe they throwed some of his dust on them because of that tradition

Alphys was experimenting injecting determination into flowers (Alphys probably took one from the throne room), one of these flowers had some of the dust of Asriel só he was reborn as "Flowey", having the same personality but not the soul, lacking good emotions and immortal, he escaped the lab and tried to find both Asgore and Toriel but he didnt felt anything talking to them

He tried to kill himself but he couldnt, then he discovered he had determination and tried a lot of things because he had the power to "reload" like Frisk, but again he grew bored of trying to making everyone happy and become an asshole.

Then when Frisk appeared he tried to reload and couldnt (because the protagonist had more determination than him), then Undertale begins

PSqueak

Banned

Well, it's kinda like this:

If you winged it thru the true lab without checking everything (screens, the video tapes) basically the true lab is there to inform you about Asriel and Chara (and thus the first hints that you didn't name the playable character) and also documents Alphy's experiment with determination: an extract from human souls that would allow monster souls to be eternal like humans' but it backfired and mutated them, later injected into a flower that eventually led to Flowey in his ingame form. The purpose of these experiments was to create a way to break the barrier without the need of more human souls.

That's just part one of Flowey's backstory, if you backtrack all the way to the very first screen in the game during the victory lap, Asriel explains more about Chara and how he became a flower (which Alphys experimented on), which is kinda related too since it was due to his inner struggle when Asriel absorbed Chara's soul in a poorly thought plan to destroy Chara's Village.

Before Flowey was Flowey, he was Asriel, Asgore and Toriel's child and the Fallen Child's adoptive brother. The Fallen Child was nursing a deep hatred of humanity, and hatched a plan co-opting Asriel- essentially, the Fallen Child would commit suicide. Asriel would take his body back to the surface, combining his own SOUL with the Fallen Child, allowing him to cross the barrier, kill enough humans to destroy the barrier entirely and kickstart the human and monster war all over again. However, Asriel was still able to exert some influence, and managed to keep from killing any of the humans, even as they attacked him. Having left the Fallen Child's body behind, Asriel crawled back to the castle, dying and turning to dust in the garden with all the golden flowers.
Later on, as part of Alphys' experiments in replicating the qualities of the human SOUL, she injected one of these flowers with determination. As a result, Asriel's essence bonded with the flower, granting him life without a SOUL, leaving no capacity for love and empathy; giving us Flowey, essentially. Although he initially made himself known to his parents, Flowey soon became existentially horrified at his own existence, and attempted to kill himself. However, as a result of the determination injected into the flower, he found himself back where he had first woken up as a flower- essentially, he had gained the ability to save and reload. He used this power to play merry hell with the Underground, befriending and killing everyone as his whims saw fit. He only lost his abilities when someone with more determination than him entered the Underground- that someone being Frisk.
Throughout the game, Flowey plays a long con to try and manipulate Frisk into opening up the other human SOULs that Asgore's harvested to allow him to take them for himself. In the neutral run, he takes the six SOULs and uses their power to create a twisted new form that will allow him to take Frisk's SOUL and regain his true form along with a variety of godlike powers. In the Pacifist run, he uses the soul of every monster in the underground in place of Frisk's to become Asriel again, but equipped with enough power to destroy the world. When Frisk gets through to him, he uses this power to break down the barrier before releasing the SOULs- you can find him in the epilogue standing at the flower patch where Frisk first fell, where he relays a lot of this backstory and states that he'll soon turn back into Flowey without the power of the SOULS inside him. In the Genocide run, the player character murders him as he begs for his life, trying to appeal to the Fallen Child's memories of the two of them.
As I said before, Alphys was using the True Lab to run experiments to harness the power of the human SOUL, in order to synthesise something that would enable them to destroy the barrier. Human SOULs have determination, which allows them to outlive their hosts, unlike monster SOULs which turn to dust with their monster. As part of these experiments, Alphys injected monsters on the brink of death with determination, to see if their SOULs could be maintained after their deaths- however, the determination kept them alive instead. The side-effect was that the injected monsters "melted", and merged together, creating the Amalgamates that you encountered in the True Lab. Alphys entered a profound depression as a result of her actions, and finding out about them is how you become closer to her, in the same way that you get closer to Papyrus by dating him, or to Undyne by cooking with her. This kicks off the Pacifist ending, with all of your friends coming to your side to stop the fight against Asgore and being seized by Flowey as a result. That's the reason why Flowey tells you to get closer to Alphys once you've done a killing-free neutral run- he's trying to get you to gather them all together so he can steal all their SOULs in one fell swoop.

Top Bottom