• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

PaulloDEC

So let's say someone playing this game sold all their gear for money, and then spent all the money on Glamburgers so they'd have a shot at defeating
Metatron EX.

Now they've beaten him (it took all seven burgers) and there's another battle they're gonna have to do, and there's absolutely no way they're beating it without healing items. What advice would y'all give that person?

The person is me.

lem0n

So let's say someone playing this game sold all their gear for money, and then spent all the money on Glamburgers so they'd have a shot at defeating
Metatron EX.

Now they've beaten him (it took all seven burgers) and there's another battle they're gonna have to do, and there's absolutely no way they're beating it without healing items. What advice would y'all give that person?

The person is me.

Start over, bruh. Unless there's a way to farm money, you're kinda screwed.

Ultimadrago

I just ran into the Toriel
Flirt + Mother
dialogue at the end of my second playthrough.

I laughed my ass off. Good stuff.

Seriously, that was on my checklist for this run.

PaulloDEC

Thanks for the tips guys.

Can someone tell me where the hell Gerson is? I've been all over the place looking for him.

EDIT: Never mind, looks like I had some crummy directions.

PaulloDEC

Well if Paullo has died enough the armor should be cheap enough by now. I only did the farming to see what would happen if I bought a donut.

Yup, I'm almost done. 18 deaths, so 1250 gold for the armor.

Hasn't actually taken all that long with the cloudy glasses method either. I realised I still had my old weapons/armor from when I last switched out, which gave me about 200 gold to play with.

poutmeter

I just ran into the Toriel
Flirt + Mother
dialogue at the end of my second playthrough.

I laughed my ass off. Good stuff.

Seriously, that was on my checklist for this run.

I didn't realize I could call people until after reaching the lab. Felt like an idiot and then started to backtrack just to hear Papyrus commenting on every area. I tried to call Toriel
, but nobody came picked up :(

I'm tempted to play the game again just to blow up Toriel and Papy's phones.

Ultimadrago

I didn't realize I could call people until after reaching the lab. Felt like an idiot and then started to backtrack just to hear Papyrus commenting on every area. I tried to call Toriel, but nobody came picked up :(

I'm tempted to play the game again just to blow up Toriel and Papy's phones.

This is one of the very few games where I found a plethora of secret messages and hidden interactions detailed online after already completing it and still played through the game again so that I could experience them with my own save at length.

It was totally worth it.

Edit: 870+ Screenshots later, I've finished my All Yellow Credits, True Pacifist Run~

PaulloDEC

Well, I just completed a single run of Undertale. Thanks to all the people in this thread who offered tips and suggestions; I can say with quite a bit of certainty that I wouldn't have completed the game without your help.

So... there's a lot I liked in the game. There were fun characters, great music and a really inventive battle system. Every now and then the game drops some surprisingly pretty visuals, and I really liked the designs of some of the creatures.

The stuff involving
save-states
and certain characters
being aware of existing outside of the in-game reality
was super cool, and I really liked being surprised by that. The
final boss
and the stuff surrounding it were also totally great.

Not all of the humour really landed with me, but the game was going for something very specific, so I can't begrudge it much. Unfortunately the highly self-aware tone of things made it hard for me to get particularly invested in the emotional story the way others clearly have. There were sweet and touching moments, but it hasn't left a huge impact on me in that sense.

Another thing I wasn't keen on is that the world feels unnecessarily large. While backtracking (due to lack of cash) towards the end of the game, I accidentally stumbled into an interaction that might actually be my favourite moment in the game. Now that I'm done, I'm left wondering how many other scenes like that I missed out on. I feel like there's a lot of places I might've been more inclined to explore had they not been such a hike to get to.

So a mixed bag for me, but one I'm glad I checked out. There's certainly nothing else like it, and I'm glad others have had such a transcendental experience with it (even if I'm a little bummed that I didn't).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I guess
neutral
? I thought I was being a
pacifist
, but
Flowey was the final boss
, so I guess not?

Well you reached an end state if you were truly pacifist you should have gotten instructions on what to do to achieve a "better ending" after the credits which you can do by reloading your save and proceeding with that.

PaulloDEC

Well you reached an end state if you were truly pacifist you should have gotten instructions on what to do to achieve a "better ending" which you can do by reloading your save and proceeding with that.

Oh yeah, I actually did get one of those.
Flowey came back all nice and told me I should go speak to Dr Alphys.
I may yet go do that.

To get True Pacifist, you have to "date" Papyrus, Undyne, and Alphys.

Ah, gotcha.

poutmeter

I was watching my friend finish the neutral route and the part where (spoilers for whole game)
Flowey says:

* Call for help
* I dare you
* Cry into the darkness
* "Mommy! Daddy!"
* "Somebody help!"
* See what good it does you!
(You called for help.)
* but nobody came

reading that after the Genocide route made me feel even worse for Asriel, which I didn't think was even possible. All those individual happy endings and I'm obsessing over this little dude.

This is one of the very few games where I found a plethora of secret messages and hidden interactions detailed online after already completing it and still played through the game again so that I could experience them with my own save at length.

It was totally worth it.

I'm definitely planning on replaying the game at some point and just try to experience the easter eggs and optional dialog instead of reading about them. It seems I missed a lot of things despite playing it twice.

Breads

Banned
I was watching my friend finish the neutral route and the part where (spoilers for whole game)
Flowey says:

All that falls very flat to me because it was just a spoof of Paula's prayers. I love Undertale but anything involving Asriel/Flowy/First Human was pretty eye rolly to me.

poutmeter

All that falls very flat to me because it was just a spoof of Paula's prayers. I love Undertale but anything involving Asriel/Flowy/First Human was pretty eye rolly to me.

I take it you mean Paula from Earthbound? EB is one of those games that I mean to play but never get around to it. Guess it's time to hit the eShop.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Have any good new LPs come out? My usual subs content lately isn't too my liking for the most part and watching some fun new Undertale LPs would be cool.

Dimmle

Has this been shared yet?

RichaadEB (the guy with all the great metal covers) and Ace Waters collaborated with a few featured artists to produce a cover album for Undertale and it's pretty damn good.

Still enjoying the soundtrack months later.

DNAbro

Has this been shared yet?

RichaadEB (the guy with all the great metal covers) and Ace Waters collaborated with a few featured artists to produce a cover album for Undertale and it's pretty damn good.

Still enjoying the soundtrack months later.

yeah it's been posted awhile back, it's great though. I still listen to the soundtrack daily.

Gaz_RB

My girlfriend, who is a super sweet kindergarten teacher, is playing through this game now (I didn't tell her anything about it other than its good. also, she doesn't play many games) and she is just killing everything. She says its because she needs to get her Love up so she has more health. She even killed the doggies :( Sans is gonna make her cry when she realizes what she's done.

I'm thinking about breaking up with her. Thoughts?

BraXzy

Wow.

I just played this in one sitting. And just.. I don't even know what to say. I had two friends watching me play through it through Steam and.. Damn. That was one hell of a journey.
I got such a mix of emotions at the end. My jaw dropped when Flowey showed up, I was sad, I was angry, I was frustrated. In the end, I spared the King and killed Flowey. No hesitation, straight away that thing that dead. Mainly due to being angry at it and all.

I want to get the true pacifist ending now but I think.. And this is super annoying. I think I fought and killed one thing right at the start of the game, because I have 3 XP. From then on, I did everything and avoided killing (besides Flowey). My ending had Flowey go all crazy mode and after beating him I guess I passed back into the main world and got a phone call from Sans about how the queen came back and things are okay. I wanted to free everyone :(

Puruzi

Banned
Wow.

I just played this in one sitting. And just.. I don't even know what to say. I had two friends watching me play through it through Steam and.. Damn. That was one hell of a journey.
I got such a mix of emotions at the end. My jaw dropped when Flowey showed up, I was sad, I was angry, I was frustrated. In the end, I spared the King and killed Flowey. No hesitation, straight away that thing that dead. Mainly due to being angry at it and all.

I want to get the true pacifist ending now but I think.. And this is super annoying. I think I fought and killed one thing right at the start of the game, because I have 3 XP. From then on, I did everything and avoided killing (besides Flowey). My ending had Flowey go all crazy mode and after beating him I guess I passed back into the main world and got a phone call from Sans about how the queen came back and things are okay. I wanted to free everyone :(

yeah you messed up

you can't get any exp

Finally got around to starting my genocide run. All's going well until I run into Undyne.

The fight is literally impossible with the shitty laptop I'm playing on with huge imput lag to the point were it goes so fast I push two buttons yet it only imputs the first.

Should I just give up and watch the rest on youtube? Will I lose anything not playing and just watching?

Breads

Banned
Finally got around to starting my genocide run. All's going well until I run into Undyne.

The fight is literally impossible with the shitty laptop I'm playing on with huge imput lag to the point were it goes so fast I push two buttons yet it only imputs the first.

Should I just give up and watch the rest on youtube? Will I lose anything not playing and just watching?

If you can't do Undyne you can't do things that come after which is a shame because it is quite the experiance - it's what took this from a good game to a great game for me. Watching it on Youtube won't give you a fraction of what you have to gain experiencing it blind.

You have a lot to gain from playing it yourself beyond this point. To those who already played the genocide run to the end, just agree or disagree. Don't spoil this!
(warning: Spoilers!)
-Sans fight in all its glory.
-Getting Dunked on mistakenly thinking that's how it was going to end.
-Getting hurt during your turn in the UI.
-Seemingly getting stuck in time.
-Asgore and Flowy eating it.
-Black wind.
-Finding out that you can continue the game from there with... caveats.

You are robbed of the impact these have to provide if you spoil the game for yourself.

^
Alright I'm going to try a persist on.
Stay determined.

Is the rest of the genocide run difficult in terms of reaction based timing?

Top Bottom