• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Geg

Question about the
Sans
fight:
Do his dialogue turns get shorter the more you die to him or something? Last night when I was fighting him he seemed to have an extra line about his special attack, but playing today he didn't say it and went straight to his "survive THIS and I'll show you my special attack" one.

Speaking of that I got all the way to the end before getting killed by the spiral of dragon lasers. Shit sucks

lol Normally I wouldn't actually put any stock in this hubbledy jubbledy but
almost every line of dialogue is proceeded by an asterisk

It helps that he's been assisted by someone who already made that mistake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NtML0CGCSQ

He kinda figured it out even before Ross helped him along thanks to his atrociously unwatchable playthrough with Holly.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Question about the
Sans
fight:
Do his dialogue turns get shorter the more you die to him or something? Last night when I was fighting him he seemed to have an extra line about his special attack, but playing today he didn't say it and went straight to his "survive THIS and I'll show you my special attack" one.

Speaking of that I got all the way to the end before getting killed by the spiral of dragon lasers. Shit sucks

I noticed the change in his speech, but I don't think the battle shortens any.
I tried mapping out his attacks, and I'm pretty sure they follow this order (assuming you're just attacking and not using recovery items):
- Short random attacks
- Laser Chase
- Short random attacks
- Wall smashing
- Wall smashing
- Giant laser chase
- Vertical long bones
- Short random attacks
- Harder wall smashing
- 2nd to last attack

AHA-Lambda

OK, I just beat that boss.

What do i do now?

it told me to
reload my save and be friends with Undyne but I'm just back before the King fight again

What do I do?

kurona_bright

Neo Member

What do i do now?

it told me to
reload my save and be friends with Undyne but I'm just back before the King fight again

What do I do?

Take the boat back to Waterfall and visit Undyne's house. It's to the north of the trash heap.

And get ready for spaghetti. Ish.

What do i do now?

it told me to

What do I do?

Go be friends with Undyne. Remember when during the chase scene with Undyne Papyrus told you you should meet at her house to be friends? Go to her house.

Granjinha

What do i do now?

it told me to

What do I do?

Go
befriend Undyne. Her house is in Waterfall. Take the boat there, go up and take the left. It's the third entrance from the right to the left in the upper part of that room.

AHA-Lambda

Take the boat back to Waterfall and visit Undyne's house. It's to the north of the trash heap.

And get ready for spaghetti. Ish.

Go be friends with Undyne. Remember when during the chase scene with Undyne Papyrus told you you should meet at her house to be friends? Go to her house.

Go
befriend Undyne. Her house is in Waterfall. Take the boat there, go up and take the left. It's the third entrance from the right to the left in the upper part of that room.

So I don't need to
restart my save
?

I assumed I had to
start over?

Meffer

People who unironically beg for a way to save Asriel are kind of missing the point because the whole idea is that you can't save everyone no matter how hard you try

Although I am legit curious about what the hell that Gaster stuff is about
Isn't that the guy that blew himself up so hard his code was scattered across the game? There's no mention of him when you play in the game either. You actually have to look through the game's files to know about him. Also he blew himself up so hard, that anybody that really knew him also disappeared. It's meta as hell.

People who unironically beg for a way to save Asriel are kind of missing the point because the whole idea is that you can't save everyone no matter how hard you try

Although I am legit curious about what the hell that Gaster stuff is about

You underestimate the power of DETERMINATION.

Seriously though, the True Pacifist ending involves you not dying to an all powerful being solely because you refuse to. The game as already jumped that shark.

The only thing we know with 99% certainty about Gaster is this: He is related to Sans and Papyrus (W.D. Gaster -> Wing Din Gaster -> from the two fonts, Wing Dings and Aster) and worked with Sans experimenting with SAVEs and determination when he was Royal Scientist. (Alphys' determination extractor was built with his blueprints). It was during one such experiment that he became lost through space and time. Also he kind of looks like a bowling pin.

Geg

I noticed the change in his speech, but I don't think the battle shortens any.
I tried mapping out his attacks, and I'm pretty sure they follow this order (assuming you're just attacking and not using recovery items):
- Short random attacks
- Laser Chase
- Short random attacks
- Wall smashing
- Wall smashing
- Giant laser chase
- Vertical long bones
- Short random attacks
- Harder wall smashing
- 2nd to last attack
Yeah I've pretty much got the pattern of all his attacks down. Some of them are just so hard to dodge, like the long vertical bone attack, I always have to use a turn for healing after that

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've pretty much got the pattern of all his attacks down. Some of them are just so hard to dodge, like the long vertical bone attack, I always have to use a turn for healing after that

You want to evade that move by moving up slightly and then going in a counter-clockwise circle to avoid the bones.

Geg

You want to evade that move by moving up slightly and then going in a counter-clockwise circle to avoid the bones.

Yeah I can do that for about the first half of the attack, but I'm not quick enough to keep it up the entire time. Eventually I just start hitting them because they're too fast for me

edit: And when he fucking
quick slams me against the wall once and again against the same wall, I get sent back into the attack before it disappears. I can't avoid getting hit.

BiggNife

You underestimate the power of DETERMINATION.

Seriously though, the True Pacifist ending involves you not dying to an all powerful being solely because you refuse to. The game as already jumped that shark.

The only thing we know with 99% certainty about Gaster is this: He is related to Sans and Papyrus (W.D. Gaster -> Wing Din Gaster -> from the two fonts, Wing Dings and Aster) and worked with Sans experimenting with SAVEs and determination when he was Royal Scientist. (Alphys' determination extractor was built with his blueprints). It was during one such experiment that he became lost through space and time. Also he kind of looks like a bowling pin.

I can see the argument, but it's pretty clear that not being able to save Asriel is 100% Toby's intent and it's not gonna change. Honestly it feels like Toby was juggling too many messages and metaphors at the end of the game so there's some debatable choices like that, but what are ya gonna do.

And yeah, I read the Steam thread about Gaster. I'm really curious to see if there's more to him that people haven't found yet, or if it's going to be added later.

Maximo

Decided to give the game a go and so far the humor is really good, still getting through the skelly brothers but yeah im enjoying it!

ivb_1973

Banned
True Pacifist ending done and, well, I liked neutral ending much more. That last battle wasn't half as good as the neutral one. Do you recommend doing genocide?

Solely thinking about it makes feel as vilanous as Flowey...

Something I didn't understand about true pacifist ending...

How did it come for Flowey to have Asriel's sentience? Just because his ashes fell to the flower and it nutrured of it? And then Alphys RANDOMLY picked that flower to make experiments?

I'm also confused about that Frisks (EDIT: Fallen one) thing... so he was a jerk? Why the game has to invalidate one of the most touching moments of Neutral ending? Knowing that Frisk (EDIT: the Fallen one) is a jerk harms the tragic story of Asriel making it nearly pointless. :(

JC Sera

True Pacifist ending done and, well, I liked neutral ending much more. That last battle wasn't half as good as the neutral one. Do you recommend doing genocide?

How did it come for Flowey to have Asriel's sentience? Just because his ashes felt to the flower and it nutrured of it? And then Alphys RANDOMLY picked that flower to make experiments?

I'm also confused about that Frisks thing... so he was a jerk? Why the game has to invalidate one of the most touching moments of Neutral ending? Knowing that Frisk is a jerk harms the tragic story of Asriel making it nearly pointless. :(
frisk wasn't a jerk. the fallen human was. they are two separate people

Meffer

How did it come for Flowey to have Asriel's sentience? Just because his ashes fell to the flower and it nutrured of it? And then Alphys RANDOMLY picked that flower to make experiments?

I'm also confused about that Frisks (EDIT: Fallen one) thing... so he was a jerk? Why the game has to invalidate one of the most touching moments of Neutral ending? Knowing that Frisk (EDIT: the Fallen one) is a jerk harms the tragic story of Asriel making it nearly pointless. :(
When a monsters ashes are spread on an object they loved while alive their essence will be merged with that object.
He loved the yellow flowers.

Um, wow. So apparently if you spend a while looking at the word search it actually thinks you solved it and there's alternate dialogue from Papyrus and sans

Well, it's a very small difference, but basically it's that after a Genocide Run,
the murderous demon in you stays active even after you restart. So considering the happiest ending has everyone being happy and friends, go figure what happens when you stop controlling your character and the demon comes out to play.

Up until then however, all is the same as with the regular True Pacifist Ending. It sorta just adds onto it.

i just finished the
True pacifist ending, after the genocide run, and i don't regret it at all! I mean it's far better to save everyone after killing them than the contrary! Even if in the end, the first human take control and eventually destroy the world (but we'll never know)

man this game is truly amazing!

Dunkley

i just finished the
True pacifist ending, after the genocide run, and i don't regret it at all! I mean it's far better to save everyone after killing them than the contrary! Even if in the end, the first human take control and eventually destroy the world (but we'll never know)

man this game is truly amazing!

Cool, and definitely congrats, just a question however,
what does Flowey say when you boot up the game again?

Dunkley

onyl thing is
for some wierd reason I dont think aslriel/flowey would use a cell phone to communicate

Neither do I, hence why I couldn't provide an explanation of why it would make sense after pointing out it's Asriel's voice. :v

I can see the argument, but it's pretty clear that not being able to save Asriel is 100% Toby's intent and it's not gonna change. Honestly it feels like Toby was juggling too many messages and metaphors at the end of the game so there's some debatable choices like that, but what are ya gonna do.

And yeah, I read the Steam thread about Gaster. I'm really curious to see if there's more to him that people haven't found yet, or if it's going to be added later.

Well, we know there are going to be patched-in content. So I'd say yes.

Geg

After I think about five hours over the course of two days, I finally beat
Sans.

I actually went back to Grillby's to see if his body would be there lol

This game really did not want you to kill everything.

Cool, and definitely congrats, just a question however,
what does Flowey say when you boot up the game again?

Thanks man!
He say the same thing that he say after a normal true pacifist (not post-genocide), just checked on youtube

anyway i'm happy that i stumbled on this game randomly on an akward zombie comics, not sure if i would have found it if it were not for her

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=092115

Dunkley

Thanks man!
He say the same thing that he say after a normal true pacifist (not post-genocide), just checked on youtube

Ah,
that's fair enough if you assume at that point he has no power and thus telling of how Frisk is living his "happy life". Would have been cool however if there had been special dialogue on that.

Thanks for sharing!

I can't wait for that feeling myself.
I've gotten to Sans' final wave of blasters four times now. I can't do the circle consistently enough to make sure I don't go too slow or too fast. I think the most HP I went into it with was 40 or 50 and I still screwed it up.

Ah...yes...

This is a good feeling.

(I think over 60 deaths, about 9 +/-1 of which was on that fking last attack)

Maximo

Played alot before I had to go be social, man the music is fucking great love the oldschool bit music, and the unique battle system is really rad. Fought my first boss
(Sans Brother)
and wow really awesome challengeling but fun and constantly changes it up to keep it interesting. The humor is the best part of the game, weird characters that often have me cracking a smile, and that's the beauty of the game I almost always have a smile on my face.

Geg

Spoiler question about the game's soundtrack:

What's the deal with the track "Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans"? I assumed it would be a battle track against him in a neutral playthrough but you only ever fight him in the genocide route. Is that entire track just meant to be a red herring to hide what his boss fight is actually like?

Capra

I think it was Toby's original track for Sans' fight that got shafted when he decided to remix Megalovania. Personally I still like it but Mv definitely sells the tone of the boss better.

Top Bottom