• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Dimmle

I wasn't totally sold on this game even after all the hype, but when Dan Ryckert spoke so highly of it on the Bombcast I decided to pick it up. After playing for about an hour... I have no idea what this game is.

When I started playing it, I went along with the assumption that it's not a "typical" RPG, so I didn't play it like one. I fled from every battle I was able to and spared every enemy I could. I felt like that's what the game was pushing me towards.

I also didn't bother buying items because I figured it wasn't really necessary for a funny little story-driven romp.

But now I'm reaching the point where there have been a couple genuinely difficult battles and I'm wondering if I have hamstrung myself by avoiding XP and gold, making these fights more difficult for myself. It's making me feel a bit put off by the whole thing.

So what should I do? Do I need to keep playing the game in this "alternative" style that it suggested at the beginning? Or am I better off just playing it like a traditional RPG and slaying every enemy I come across? So far the game has not done a good job of spelling out the consequences for my actions.

Keep playing as you would! You can kill or not kill. You get XP and more HP when you kill, less death if you don't. The game won't spell out the consequences for your decisions-- that's by design.

Niahak

Sparing gets you gold, which you can use to buy items which will help you survive (mostly armor and consumables). Generally that's preferable to running if you can figure out how to convince the monsters not to fight.

I completed the game without XP and gold with only a few really tough sections, and I'm not that great at bullet-hell games.

DNAbro

I wasn't totally sold on this game even after all the hype, but when Dan Ryckert spoke so highly of it on the Bombcast I decided to pick it up. After playing for about an hour... I have no idea what this game is.

When I started playing it, I went along with the assumption that it's not a "typical" RPG, so I didn't play it like one. I fled from every battle I was able to and spared every enemy I could. I felt like that's what the game was pushing me towards.

I also didn't bother buying items because I figured it wasn't really necessary for a funny little story-driven romp.

But now I'm reaching the point where there have been a couple genuinely difficult battles and I'm wondering if I have hamstrung myself by avoiding XP and gold, making these fights more difficult for myself. It's making me feel a bit put off by the whole thing.

So what should I do? Do I need to keep playing the game in this "alternative" style that it suggested at the beginning? Or am I better off just playing it like a traditional RPG and slaying every enemy I come across? So far the game has not done a good job of spelling out the consequences for my actions.

Using mercy gives you Gold for items and armor. Running away does not. You should definitely be trying to find the most current armor and picking up items at every store you get the chance. Play how ever you think you should when it comes to enemies.

Jintor

I thought of another question.

There's a room in Snowdin fairly close to Snowdin town, where the christmas tree reindeer monster hangs out. There's a locked door there with four of the toggle-able mushrooms. I tried binary-toggle methods on my way past initially to see if there's a simple password, but it didn't work. Is there a way to get in, and what's in there if so?

That's not the dev door is it?
You have to avoid every name in the true credits to get in there.

I think the very fact that you're having difficulty resulting from being merciful has done a pretty decent job of spelling out at least some of the consequences of being so very pure of heart

Hyoukokun

i don't believe this game... there's two tracks that only play if you corrupt your own save data by setting the room number to an incorrect value

Thought this was going to be the
sound test (link), which contains the supremely creepy Gaster's Theme, a bunch of random musical clips, and precisely none of the actual music that shows up in the game itself

killatopak

Gold Member
Finished this game a week ago on a true pacifist run. It's probably one of the best games I've ever played. Is the genocide run worth it? I wanna know what's the difference between them but I feel so sad doing it especially after what flowey said at the end.

Finished this game a week ago on a true pacifist run. It's probably one of the best games I've ever played. Is the genocide run worth it? I wanna know what's the difference between them but I feel so sad doing it especially after what flowey said at the end.

If you don't wanna do it just YouTube it. A Genocide run has permanent consequences.

PSqueak

Banned
If you don't wanna do it just YouTube it. A Genocide run has permanent consequences.

Please note that if you do this, you'll still feel very bad.

How long ago were Sans, Papyrus, and Undyne born that they didn't remember Toriel?
I don't even remember if Alphys remembered her, but it's not clear when Alphys' experiments took place...
Also, one of the shopkeepers said something interesting in the epilogue, to the effect of:
-When a monster has a child, the monster grows older as the child grows up, but a childless monster will live effectively forever; which is why Asgore and Toriel stopped aging after Asriel 'died'. Who are Sans and Papyrus' parents (are they siblings, anyway?), and why are none of the other monsters nearly as old as Asgore/Toriel seem to be?

1.- This is just my theory, but my estimation is that the game takes place between 202X and 203X, 201X was the year Chara fell, not frisk, a span of 10 to 20 years would be enough for Undyne and Papyrus to not know Toriel. Alphys knows about Toriel because in the very least, she has their home videos.
2.-Some people theorize Gaster might be the skele-bros' dad, but that's also just a theory, I think the implication is that Toriel and Asgore are the oldest because presumably everyone else is having a normal life (we saw entire families in snowdin) while the goars aren't having kids in the foreseable future. Bur hey, Gerson the turtle seems pretty old too.

Coincidentally, its a really morbid thing to think Toriel will outlive Frisk and every and each one of her students in the human world.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
No no no no

Killing Papyrus in a genocide run is

Toriel is. Saint god.
Also, Toriel is the only person that is *really* trying not to kill you. Papyrus will give you a free run after a while, and Asgore doesn't really WANT to kill you - but damn if he's trying.
Toriel is just... trying to shelter a child. Having to kill Toriel is why i haven't played genocide yet ;_;

PSqueak

Banned
Toriel is. Saint god.
Also, Toriel is the only person that is *really* trying not to kill you.

WRONG.

Toriel can totally kill you if you're not careful (it happened to me because im a bit too nervous and moved into the bullets by accident), Papyrus literally CAN'T kill you, his normal attacks stop when you reach 1 hp, you can get yourself to 0 hp in his final attack, but if you do, instead of dying the game CRASHES, their whole universe stops and rewinds because Papyrus can't kill!

Aureon

WRONG.

Toriel can totally kill you if you're not careful (it happened to me because im a bit too nervous and moved into the bullets by accident), Papyrus literally CAN'T kill you, his normal attacks stop when you reach 1 hp, you can get yourself to 0 hp in his final attack, but if you do, instead of dying the game CRASHES, their whole universe stops and rewinds because Papyrus can't kill!

Oh, holy shit.

Corpekata

Banned
I tried my hardest to
get Toriel to kill me and the bullets move out of the way. No clue how anyone could accidently get killed by her when I couldn't even do it on purpose.

PSqueak

Banned
I tried my hardest to
get Toriel to kill me and the bullets move out of the way. No clue how anyone could accidently get killed by her when I couldn't even do it on purpose.

Your soul moves faster than her attacks and they pool in the bottom, it's totally possible, there is even a special sprite of her looking horrified after she kills you.

Also, please stop making me feel bad that i "died" in two encounters you're supposed to not be able to die at .-.

Dimmle

Toriel will be more likely to
kill you if you're trying to kill her.

Also re: Sans and Papyrus (GENOCIDE AND GENERAL SECRET STUFF SPOILERS):

The merchant in Snowdin and some allusions that Sans makes during your second dinner date both imply that the skeleton brothers are not from "these parts." The genocide run and Sans' lab almost explicitly confirm that, so basing their age on whether or not they know Toriel might not be sound.

Aureon

Your soul moves faster than her attacks and they pool in the bottom, it's totally possible, there is even a special sprite of her looking horrified after she kills you.

Also, please stop making me feel bad that i "died" in two encounters you're supposed to not be able to die at .-.

Np, i died at Toriel too. Thrice. No, don't ask me how. I'm bad at bullet hells. Really bad.

1.- This is just my theory, but my estimation is that the game takes place between 202X and 203X, 201X was the year Chara fell, not frisk, a span of 10 to 20 years would be enough for Undyne and Papyrus to not know Toriel. Alphys knows about Toriel because in the very least, she has their home videos.
2.-Some people theorize Gaster might be the skele-bros' dad, but that's also just a theory, I think the implication is that Toriel and Asgore are the oldest because presumably everyone else is having a normal life (we saw entire families in snowdin) while the goars aren't having kids in the foreseable future. Bur hey, Gerson the turtle seems pretty old too.

Coincidentally, its a really morbid thing to think Toriel will outlive Frisk and every and each one of her students in the human world.
I dunno, would 10~20 years be enough for another 6 humans to fall into the underground? I thought that shit took a relatively long while

An as said above yeah, Papyrus and Sans knowing who Toriel used to be is kind of a crapshoot since they could've showed up anytime between Asriel's death and Frisk's fall

PSqueak

Banned
I dunno, would 10~20 years be enough for another 6 humans to fall into the underground? I thought that shit took a relatively long while

My personal theory that could kinda fit on that span is the following:

First human (toy knife) was an orphan, no body came to search for him cause he had no family.
Second human (bandana/glove) was a teenager delinquet/thug/gang member, likely had no one to report his death
Third human (glasses/book) probably was an explorer/archeologist, it's likely that his dissapearance was reported as "unknown location"
Fourth human (Ballerina) a little girl who fell down accidentally, her dissapearance cause the Fifth human (cook), her mother, to come looking for her, after none of them cameback, the Sixth human, a local sheriff (cowboy hat/gun) came to investigate since the mother had previously reported the missing girl.

if you take in account the last 3 humans coming very close to each other, these could easily fit in that span, but again, that's just my fan theory.

Dimmle

My personal theory that could kinda fit on that span is the following:

First human (toy knife) was an orphan, no body came to search for him cause he had no family.
Second human (bandana/glove) was a teenager delinquet/thug/gang member, likely had no one to report his death
Third human (glasses/book) probably was an explorer/archeologist, it's likely that his dissapearance was reported as "unknown location"
Fourth human (Ballerina) a little girl who fell down accidentally, her dissapearance cause the Fifth human (cook), her mother, to come looking for her, after none of them cameback, the Sixth human, a local sheriff (cowboy hat/gun) came to investigate since the mother had previously reported the missing girl.

if you take in account the last 3 humans coming very close to each other, these could easily fit in that span, but again, that's just my fan theory.

I'm more inclined to think that the previous humans were all children (seems more elegant that way) since those items were all wearable by a child.

Plus, the gun was found by Catty near the dump and didn't necessarily accompany the cowboy hat.

Although I understand that theory as a way to explain the time window.

mbpm1

Np, i died at Toriel too. Thrice. No, don't ask me how. I'm bad at bullet hells. Really bad.

To be fair, "just stop moving" is suicide in most bullet hells

Use gold you get from running from enemies to buy items.

Thud

Genocide Run

Grinding in RPG's will never be the same. The atmosphere in this run is so heavy. Undyne is wrecking my ass, had to take a break lol.

Molemitts

I think Undyne on Genocide is going to be way too hard for me. It's a shame, I can put the game right next to Cave Story as a game I love that I'll never be able to completely finish.

kami_sama

Genocide Run

Grinding in RPG's will never be the same. The atmosphere in this run is so heavy. Undyne is wrecking my ass, had to take a break lol.

The little speech she gives you at the start is great. The idea you are a threat to both monsters and humans took me by surprise, although Toriel said something like it when you kill her, and seeing her act as a hero was awesome.

MrBadger

Don't worry,
I died to her too. I don't know how but it happened.

No no no no

Killing Papyrus in a genocide run is

Alternatively,
killing everyone but Papyrus, leaving him wondering where all his friends went in the ending.

PSqueak

Banned
Alternatively,
killing everyone but Papyrus, leaving him wondering where all his friends went in the ending.

And yet
He's so determined to make the most for everyone, always optimistic and working hard for monsterkind.

This sort of thing and his speech if you abort a genocide run on his fight...

Papyrus truly is the most pure of all monsters.

I wish I could say I figured out how to
not to kill
Undyne
with fleeting speed
, but I didn't. After about 20 minutes it clicked, and it was a great moment.

Dr. Buni

Shame F12 doesn't work with this game. So many interesting-looking locations and funny dialogues I wanted to save as screenshots.

Dr. Buni

Yea, wtf was up with that. I couldn't take any screenshots with Steam.
Apparently it's a problem with Game Maker... The only way to save screenshots seem to be with the good old print screen key, but doing that sadly breaks the flow of the game.

Jintor

I only have one real problem with the OST and that's that most of the songs aren't as long as standard songs... although there are, like, 110 of them or whatever

it's a crime that spider dance is as short as it is

So is it pretty much accepted that (game code spoilers/all mode spoilers)
Gaster is/was a skeleton?

Well, (All Everything Spoilers)
The names of Sans weapons, along with his sprite similarity to the brothers, and him also being a font seems to indicate he is. Whether he's their third bro or whatever is more up for debate

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I need to find some change around the house cause this game has me sold after coming off from yet another Earthbound run, dat critical acclaim :eek:

Genocide Spoilers

Vinesauce's Joel got dunked on in one of the most hilarious, genuine reactions I've ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFImzL68v5E
Not pictured - the entire stream chat telling him to spare Sans, with no one warning him about the trap.

I saw this live and lol'd so hard. I also had no clue at the time and there was no way anyone can just slay
Sans knowing he's just that chill down to earth guy that you can trust.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Hope this is the right place to ask but I'm having a real hard time having my game recognize my save file.

So I originally played a few hours or so of the game on an older Macbook. Got a new Mac today and copied the game and the save files over to the new mac. However, when I boot the game, it treats it like I'm just starting out - "name the fallen human."

The saves are in this folder /Library/Application Support/com.tobyfox.undertale/. I simply copied and pasted it into the new Mac's Application Support directory.

I've unistalled and reinstalled the game (originally purchased from Humble Bundle) but that's not working. Something isn't right and I'd GREATLY appreciate your help other than "you shouldn't have bought a Mac."

Top Bottom