• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

mbpm1

I'll just say I'd watch the hell out of an anime adaptation of undertale.

And that I hope Toby Fox makes more stuff

xezuru

I want to use a new avatar of a character from this game but I don't wanna spoil people, albeit it doesn't outright spoil anything, just hints enough visually that something's up :(.

Fat4all

Banned
I feel bad for being so late to the party with Undertale. After finishing the story a few times over, and each with different results, and still not seeing everything this game has to offer...

I mean, unless some other game pulls a hat-trick (Tales from the Borderlands really got close), I don't see anything but Undertale being my game of the year.

mbpm1

Yeah, there have to be some reaaaaaaaaaally good games coming out in november or december to shake that from my list.

...Man, what even is coming out that could do that?

Fallout 4 I guess but even then

Yeah, there have to be some reaaaaaaaaaally good games coming out in november or december to shake that from my list.

...Man, what even is coming out that could do that?

Fallout 4 I guess but even then

It's pretty much guaranteed my top spot, especially considering its impeccable timing. I'd completely burnt myself out on MGSV and was feeling a tad bit disappointed with the whole thing. I was gonna preorder Isaac: Afterbirth anyways and figured "hey why not, that TieTuesday guy keeps preaching the game on Twitter and it's $18 with the music and at the very least Toby does crazy good music."

And then I played the game.

And now it won't get out of my head.

What a good goddamn experience.

El Odio

Banned
I feel bad for being so late to the party with Undertale. After finishing the story a few times over, and each with different results, and still not seeing everything this game has to offer...

I mean, unless some other game pulls a hat-trick (Tales from the Borderlands really got close), I don't see anything but Undertale being my game of the year.
The game's just over a month old though isn't it? I don't think that's too late to the party. Then again for whatever reason I thought this came out like two weeks ago so I was really sleeping on it.

Fat4all

Banned
The game's just over a month old though isn't it? I don't think that's too late to the party. Then again for whatever reason I thought this came out like two weeks ago so I was really sleeping on it.

It's one of those things where...

After I played it and beat it on pacifist, I looked at the steam page and saw when it came out. And I couldn't believe it took me this long to get to it.

Relative yes, but its quality made it feel like I should of been there day one.

Jintor

i need streams of people playing undertale. already watching super best friends play and they're taking FOREVER

WHAT'S THE GOOD STREAMS, PEOPLE

i need streams of people playing undertale. already watching super best friends play and they're taking FOREVER

I'm a fan of VoidBurger's and Cryaotic's.

VB's is assisted blind and Cry's is solo blind.

Of course if you prefer something a bit more sinister, slowbeef has got you covered.

Needless to say, all of these links contain huge spoilers, for all you folk who haven't played the game yet. (GO DO IT.)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I can vouch for VoidBurger's and Slowbeef's runs!

VB's is a huge delight and is her just having a lot of fun with it, and Slowbeef's gone the evil path and has some commentary with TieTuesday and Everdread who helped create the neutral end boss.

Dodger's is pretty fun too and you can see all of it in it's entirety on her twitch VODs if you don't feel like waiting for it all to get on Youtube.

Kangi

I second Dodger's. Her reactions to the game's bigger moments are fantastic. And to smaller moments, like her utter terror at Burgerpants' creepy sprites.

GenG3000

As MOTHER fan, the game did not amaze me as I thought it would when they recommended me to play it, but I definitely commend it for its
metanarrative efforts and shock value
. I felt through it that it was made by and for the new generation of gamers and that I was being left behind in its artistic choices and references to memes, the Internet, anime, minorities, etc. I just couldn't get into the world and characters and was watching the whole thing with a bit of indifference.

It has been a meaningful experience at least and everybody should at least complete it once.

MrBadger

What's an anime? Is that like a cartoon with swords?

I think some of this game would translate great to an anime, but a lot of other parts wouldn't. I'd still watch the hell out of it though.

Dunkley

Burgerpants's Bizarre Adventure

tumblr_inline_nuspecIINi1qmvtp6_250.png

yare yare no vacation days daze

Jintor

I just realised that Metatron only claims his viewercount is really low during the newcast segment

Where everything is a bomb

including the ratings

/edit and not only are bratty and catty an alley cat and an alligator

they're also
vALLEY GIRLS

i remember seeing fanart and stuff before but that's probably because of the demo.

Yep, there is definitely some old fan art out there.

I just realised that Metatron only claims his viewercount is really low during the newcast segment

including the ratings

they're also
vALLEY GIRLS

THAT BRATTY/CATTY SPOILER THOUGH
YOOOOO
I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT WHY AM I SO CLUELESS

Meia

including the ratings

Actually doesn't it start in the segment before it? I remember him once saying his 10 viewers, then him dropping it to 9 with the bomb part. Something along those lines anyway.

Playing for the second time now
(doing another pacifist run cause why not), and am amused to see all the different dialogue stuffs in it. Really neat to see everyone sort of recognizing Frisk.

LiK

I kinda hope Toby will port this to consoles. needs more exposure even with the word of mouth. I need more people to play this game.

Meia

I kinda hope Toby will port this to consoles. needs more exposure even with the word of mouth. I need more people to play this game.

Trying to think how this would work on consoles.
Do console makers allow games to reset the game while it's running, or close out the game itself so then they have to restart it via console? Then you have the problem of finding obscure places to save some of the game data to make it hard/impossible to completely wipe the data from the game.

I'm all for more exposure for a great game, but part of it being great is where it is currently I think.

chiimisu

I think it'd be nice to have Undertale on 3DS/Vita. Maybe with retail version and some additional content as well!

Thud

including the ratings

they're also
vALLEY GIRLS

I just noticed everything he says is pretty meta and then I looked at his name.

I felt pretty stupid haha.

I can second Cryatoic's playthrough. It was such a joy listening to him, remembering that my reactions were very similar.

(Seeing someone enjoy something so thoroughy. It fills you with determination.)

anime isn't real
Pick your finest battle-princess dress, and prepare for a giant-sword fight at sundown. We do not take kindly to such hurtful lies.

including the ratings
I love details like this, and the game is full of them. I wonder if Toby consciously planned even half of them. Intentional or not, it's fun either way, and part of why the game is still on my mind a month after I stopped playing.

DNAbro

Kind of hope so too. I would definitely double/triple dip depending on if he put it on multiple consoles. I've been trying to recommend this game to everyone. I hope that it doesn't get snubbed for GOTY choices just because not enough people have played it.

demidar

Kind of hope so too. I would definitely double/triple dip depending on if he put it on multiple consoles. I've been trying to recommend this game to everyone. I hope that it doesn't get snubbed for GOTY choices just because not enough people have played it.

Undertale is pretty hard to ignore given how loud the fanbase is, the crazy amount of fanart/fanmusic, and the Twitter bombardment.

Thud

Genocide Run

Sans is really giving me a bad time, this is true bullet hell. Like the neutral boss x10. Takes so long to even improve, can't just restart the fight.

Gotta stay determined and kill that bastard! The things a game will do to your mind.

El Odio

Banned
Thoughts concerning the game up to the lab.
Ever since the you're forced to fight, or not, Toriel I knew the boss encounters in this game would be something special and after getting up to Mettaton I'm glad to see I was so far from wrong. All of them (Papyrus, Undyne, Mettaton) completely change up the way combat is handled in an already unique way of doing so and that, combined with the fantastic music truly make this game something special. I'm loving every minute of this but greatly regretting making my first run a pacifist run because I don't know how I can go back and kill these guys.

Pacifist ending spoilers:

I wish you could become friends with Mettaton (unless you can and I just missed it...?), it just seems odd that he's left out of the ending (barring a minor cameo). Feels like he should be a part of the final main group of friends when he's just as prominent a character as they are but he ends up being grouped with the more minor characters Napstablook and the Monster Kid. That's just me though.

Pacifist ending spoilers:

I wish you could become friends with Mettaton (unless you can and I just missed it...?), it just seems odd that he's left out of the ending (barring a minor cameo). Feels like he should be a part of the final main group of friends when he's just as prominent a character as they are but he ends up being grouped with the more minor characters Napstablook and the Monster Kid. That's just me though.
He's technically Alphys since he was mostly working on her orders

Top Bottom