• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIS

I really liked it, personally I really like the atmosphere of the hall of faces in general so there's that. But yeah not what I expected. I want some actual footage please.

Speevy

Banned
So not only did the person fake it, but he also faked a copyright and pretended to be HBO and shut the video down.

I can't wait for the teaser tonight.

ASIS

So not only did the person fake it, but he also faked a copyright and pretended to be HBO and shut the video down.

I can't wait for the teaser tonight.

Wait, what?

You mean there's still a chance we'll see actual footage tonight?

Speevy

Banned
Wait, what?

You mean there's still a chance we'll see actual footage tonight?

giphy.gif

axb2013

Upon further review, there really isn't much to complain about.
The purpose of the teaser was just to start that GOT fire but that IMO tolerable approach misfired with the audience. The teaser does the same thing the show itself and the books do, that's what I think they went for. Nice build up, starts chronologically seeking to catch the audience off guard with Ned, goes down the list then aims to wow with implying that crucial living characters are about to die but then denies the very idea it suggested by showing "too many" of vital character's faces.

It's different than what shows and games typically do. For me, even if it the teaser were a 5 minute trailer as good as having the kind of sex that makes your knees buckle after you stand up, I am pretty sure I would still end up with the exact same aftermath: Wanting more.

NeoGiff

Upon further review, there really isn't much to complain about.
The purpose of the teaser was just to start that GOT fire but that IMO tolerable approach misfired with the audience. The teaser does the same thing the show itself and the books do, that's what I think they went for. Nice build up, starts chronologically seeking to catch the audience off guard with Ned, goes down the list then aims to wow with implying that crucial living characters are about to die but then denies the very idea it suggested by showing "too many" of vital character's faces.

It's different than what shows and games typically do. For me, even if it the teaser were a 5 minute trailer as good as having the kind of sex that makes your knees buckle after you stand up, I am pretty sure I would still end up with the exact same aftermath: Wanting more.

I see where you're coming from, but to me a tease should actually tease some of the content, and not simply go "Look! It's GAME OF THRONES, remember that?!", which is all this seemed to do.

It's more a reminder of the show's existence than a tease of what the upcoming season may hold, which in itself is a bit self-defeating since their comfort in knowing the audience will inevitably come back in droves is what started this whole lazy advertising shitshow (that has been underway for the last few years) in the first place.

Ghost23

If that's all it is then I'm pretty disappointed. Last season had some of the worst marketing for a show as popular as GoT. If I recall they didn't even post the trailers on YouTube last year until later which is insane. I was hoping they would improve their marketing this year, but it doesn't look like much is changing.

bengraven

Two fucking months left.

This is the kind of trailer you put out in September because you don't have any foota---

OH wait-a-minute, they already DID that fucking trailer.

axb2013

I see where you're coming from, but to me a tease should actually tease some of the content, and not simply go "Look! It's GAME OF THRONES, remember that?!", which is all this seemed to do.

It's more a reminder of the show's existence than a tease of what the upcoming season may hold, which in itself is a bit self-defeating since their comfort in knowing the audience will inevitably come back in droves is what started this whole lazy advertising shitshow (that has been underway for the last few years) in the first place.

Serving no content to digest was arrogant and misfired with many as a result. I see your logic but I am hopeful for S6, belief is so often the death of reason.

It's unfortunate as a fan wanting to get a taste of the season, but it isn't exactly a first in the industry. Mad Men famously showed nothing of new seasons before they aired, and their promos were hilariously troll worthy.

NeoGiff

This "tease" is just meta revenge for our negative reaction to a certain scene. We want a proper visual/audible starting point for the final surge of speculation to begin. But we need sweet nothings whispered in our ears.

Rg5ySFL.gif

Demise

Yep, which would place more emphasis on Jon's origin, which would point to the fact that he won't stay dead, which is exciting

Everything point to a long flashback displaying the last moments of lyanna and I can't understand people who doubt jon snow won't return, he will.

bengraven

You can see Tywin next to Joffrey and Ygritte next to Jon.

edit: character to his right isn't familiar though, but looks like Mads Mikkelson or Balon Greyjoy.

Also, maybe Varys on the far left, facing sideways as it pulls back from Tyrion?

Watching it again, hahahaha they even found a spot to throw in that stupid, beyond overused bass drop effect.

This "tease" is just meta revenge for our negative reaction to a certain scene. We want a proper visual/audible starting point for the final surge of speculation to begin. But we need sweet nothings whispered in our ears.

Rg5ySFL.gif

As awful as Dorne was that actress playing Tyene was almost fine enough for me to over look it when she was on screen... Almost. (Insert "Bad Pussy" reference somewhere).

NeoGiff

You can see Tywin next to Joffrey and Ygritte next to Jon.

edit: character to his right isn't familiar though, but looks like Mads Mikkelson or Balon Greyjoy.

Also, maybe Varys on the far left, facing sideways as it pulls back from Tyrion?

The face on Jon's right belongs to Stannis.

Speevy

Banned
Tyrion's death wouldn't really serve anyone so I doubt they'd do it before he comes back to KL.

Jaime's death would work but not until he's crossed paths with Brienne in a really contrived way.

Cersei can die but she's too good an actress to waste.

Arya can't die until she's not blind anymore.

Sansa can die after the northern war storyline has concluded.

So was every other living main character's face, making the initial interesting premise (dead characters having their quotes repeated in the House of Black and White?!) redundant.

wtf.

i watched it on my phone, so i couldnt really see. i just remember ned, joffrey, jon, catelyn, and tyrion.

what a dumb teaser.

NeoGiff

Jaime's death would work but not until he's crossed paths with Brienne in a really contrived way.

Jaime will take Riverrun and burn Cersei's letter, as in the book. Brienne, who happens to be bumbling by outside, sees the light of the fire through the window. Suddenly, it all comes back to her. Sansa Stark. The candle. "Do your duty". Using methods known only to her and twenty good men, she makes her way through the encamped Lannister army offscreen, and confronts Jaime inside his chambers.

There it is, folks.

People are reading into that teaser way too much. None of those faces are actually in the House of Black and White.

i mean i just figured it was using the house to get a point across. the concept fell flat when people who were still alive started showing up.

still a dumb teaser.

This reminds me that I have to give credit to D&D for continuing Bronn's story. I always thought that character got short-shrift from GRRM, plus Jerome Flynn is good in the role.
Shame the story they continued it with was dogshit. Bronn's story was still a hundred times better 'off screen' in the book than it has been on the show.

Ratrat

Shame the story they continued it with was dogshit. Bronn's story was still a hundred times better 'off screen' in the book than it has been on the show.
Yeah...how is Jaime taking Bronn, who has betrayed countless people for money to Dorne make any sense. All he does is get poisoned and punched. Taking over the Stokeworth castle, naming his son Tyrion and foiling Cersei's assasination attempt are a lot more amusing.

Yeah...how is Jaime taking Bronn, who has betrayed countless people for money to Dorne make any sense. All he does is get poisoned and punched. Taking over the Stokeworth castle, naming his son Tyrion and foiling Cersei's assasination attempt are a lot more amusing.
He did get to see some tits on the show too, that was important I guess.

I loved reading Cersei's chapters and her growing frustration at Bronn's antics even though he wasn't around.

i mean i just figured it was using the house to get a point across. the concept fell flat when people who were still alive started showing up.

still a dumb teaser.
I think it shifting to the living people is supposed to get people worried that Tyrion, Dany, Sansa etc. are next. The whole "All Men Must Die" marketing thing we've seen a million times already. Yawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom