• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

I think it shifting to the living people is supposed to get people worried that Tyrion, Dany, Sansa etc. are next. The whole "All Men Must Die" marketing thing we've seen a million times already. Yawn.

"There are some great shocks this season. Sansa becomes her own woman and starts making her own decisions this season. The good guys start to fight back this season."

Forkball

I know they're probably trying to hold more back this year since not even book readers know what will happen next... BUT GIMME THE DAMN TRAILER

Ithil

Yeah...how is Jaime taking Bronn, who has betrayed countless people for money to Dorne make any sense. All he does is get poisoned and punched. Taking over the Stokeworth castle, naming his son Tyrion and foiling Cersei's assasination attempt are a lot more amusing.

Well I guess he got to see some terrific tits in the process, so it balances out?

Is there any meaning behind it? i think its just sending the "no one is safe" message.
I do think that's what it is, which is kind of funny. When they released that poster of Jon and the first Season 6 teaser featured old footage of him, there were a lot of people applauding HBO for coming clean on his resurrection and no longer treating the audience like they're stupid after all the "dead is dead" nonsense and the set leaks. I remember reading articles saying stuff like "finally HBO is letting people focus not on the obivous question of if he's coming back, but the far more intriguing question of what that means his storyline is going to be this year?".

But I actually think it could be the opposite and they're still going with it... obviously, the poster itself is supposed to be an ambiguous shot with you not being able to tell if it means Jon is living or if it's just a reminder he died, unfortunately I think that was to stir the debate even further rather than put an end to discussion. As far as the first teaser, the first shot focuses on Jon while Bloodraven's monologue tells you "the past is already written, the ink is dry" and then it cycles through shots of all the horrible things that happened in earlier seasons to characters that were irreversible then ending with a line from Bran saying "they have no idea what's going to happen."

Often the argument from the actors when they're told to lie to reporters about Jon's status boils down to "Remember what happened to Robb, remember what happened to Ned? Oberyn? Ygritte? This is Game of Thrones. People tune in for the surprise shocks and deaths, the fact no one is safe. Dead is dead, Jon got stabbed and none of the main character we killed off came back to life on the show before, don't assume you know anything." I think the promotional strategy is the same thing, they're basically saying with these promos "Oh, you smug fans. We're beyond the novels now, don't assume we're lying to you or that somehow you know better than us about what's going to happen. Remember all the doom and gloom from previous years? Things are gonna get worse, not better. Be very afraid, because that's what makes the show exciting.. right? There's no hope." .

It's a boring and tired message if you ask me. There's a limit to everything, you can only stretch the "no hope" thing for so long until it produces a boring story. I'd argue until the final season with the battle with the Others when all bets are off there are at least a handful of characters who are actually VERY safe and will continue to be so. Daenerys and Tyrion are two of them, it's laughable to suggest that either of them will kick the bucket when she's had a storyline disconnected from Westeros for 6 years now and we still haven't gotten the payoff for it. They're just gonna waste six years of audience investment in her character for shock value? Very unlikely. Every major character who died and we weren't expecting to die was actually done so in order to facilitate a bigger story George was planning: Ned was to kickstart the War of the Five Kings, the Red Wedding for the "North Remembers" subplot, Oberyn for the Dornish to enter the war, Jon for his resurrection/parentage discovery/probably being freed from his oath so he can go south.

Of course, there will be deaths just like every year, but I doubt very much we're gonna get the whole Ned/Robb/Cat & Jon (albeit temporary) kind of death happening again for a good while. There are some characters you just can't get rid of permanently without wrecking the entire story and making it a directionless mess. There are other characters who will die that we're still emotionally invested in, but ultimately they're expendable in comparison... or at least David and Dan view them as such. See the almost pointless deaths of characters like Mance and Barristan on the show. You can expect more of that kind of thing for certain.

Yoda

I think one thing that is a safe bet is that Jon's resurrection will not be "clean". The Jon Snow from S1- S5 is dead, whatever comes back will have some caveats.

Of course, there will be deaths just like every year, but I doubt very much we're gonna get the whole Ned/Robb/Cat & Jon (albeit temporary) kind of death happening again for a good while. There are some characters you just can't get rid of permanently without wrecking the entire story and making it a directionless mess. There are other characters who will die that we're still emotionally invested in, but ultimately they're expendable in comparison... or at least David and Dan view them as such. See the almost pointless deaths of characters like Mance and Barristan on the show. You can expect more of that kind of thing for certain.

Going to disagree here, Cersei is a major character and her plot armor is non-existent atm (past the duel w/Robert Strong). I'd also say Arya is starting to look like fair game.

Loke13

I think one thing that is a safe bet is that Jon's resurrection will not be "clean". The Jon Snow from S1- S5 is dead, whatever comes back will have some caveats.

Going to disagree here, Cersei is a major character and her plot armor is non-existent atm (past the duel w/Robert Strong). I'd also say Arya is starting to look like fair game.
No way Arya dies before getting back to Westeros.

No way Arya dies before getting back to Westeros.

Arya's making it to the end IMO. Part of GRRM's "bittersweet" ending will that Arya will achieve everything she wants (vengeance) but will be unable to reconnect with her old life- leaving her as an outsider, as per this quote:

"You’ll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

Disagree about Jon coming back different too. Maybe in the books, but I think they're wanting him to take on Stannis' role from the books so he'll have to remain fairly similar.

mantidor

I'm afraid for Cersei, I love to hate her, the actress is phenomenal and she will leave a void close to the one Tywin left.

It's an interesting way to tell a story, to kill off such big characters, but the problem is that we are left with a hole and you run the risk to come up with characters not interesting enough to fill on that void. I feel it happened after Jeoffrey/Tywin/Robb died.

In a weird way I feel Sansa is the only character "safe", if the point of her is to completely deconstruct the princess archetype killing her off wouldn't quite achieve that. Princesses either live happily ever after or are sacrificed/sacrifice themselves in some tragic way, think the little mermaid
or Shireen T_T
. To subvert all those tropes she would have to live, albeit what looks likely to be a life full of hardships. That would be an example of a bittersweet ending. For the rest of the characters once they have reach their story arches I feel they are fair game for the grimgrrm reaper.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Honestly they should make the promotional material for S6 That Winter Is Here...it would be so perfect.

Gigglepoo

Honestly they should make the promotional material for S6 That Winter Is Here...it would be so perfect.

Is it here? With eight seasons, I don't know if this season will focus on TWoW or cleanup from the major components (Iron Born, Stoneheart) left out of the show so far.

I imagine it will be both? I really shouldn't even try to guess where the show is going, though. That's a fool's game.

I was hoping they'd cover that in the show. I agree it would have been better than the Bronn story we got, but I'll take all the Bronn I can get.

Yes, the execution of the Dorne storyline was poor all around, but I'm glad they kept Bronn as a character and didn't abandon him as in the books, nor kill him at a convenient time for shock value. I imagine he accompanies Jaime on his Riverrun quest as well.

Yoda

Her role is though. She has to be a candid girl and fierce queen at the same time, while being the future rightful queen of the world... I think she did well.

Season one worked, but she hadn't transformed into a leader yet. The leader part is where she is just too damn inconsistent... example:

8ba783c52155ecd760ab27ab5f7d9880.jpg

^ The line is rattled off like she's in a casual conversation, yet it's suppose to show her own self-righteous moral compass, but it comes off as robotic/dialed in. It's certainly isn't an easy role I'll give it that, but she's had the role for a long time, I feel it should have improved by now.

Demise

Season one worked, but she hadn't transformed into a leader yet. The leader part is where she is just too damn inconsistent... example:

^ The line is rattled off like she's in a casual conversation, yet it's suppose to show her own self-righteous moral compass, but it comes off as robotic/dialed in. It's certainly isn't an easy role I'll give it that, but she's had the role for a long time, I feel it should have improved by now.

Well, that could also be a direction problem. What baffle me is how different she's in real life, that should tell something about her skills. Kit Harrington is mostly Jon Snow in real life, same goes for Jaime Lannister, Bronn and other actors : they're mostly like their character in real life. This is also what make Lena Headey and Charles Dance so good, they're completely different in real life. Damn Lena Headey and the red witch are defintely the two finest actress you can find in the show. I throw the girl that play Daenerys in there. Everyone praise Dinklage for its acting skills, but he mostly play himself on screen.

I think ageing Dany up is the problem here (and also that Emila Clarke is a truly terrible actress).

In the book you can make the argument that she's still a child, so lines like these are her putting on a strong face to appear in control, but we as readers can see how false that is.

In the show however, EC and whoever directs her seem to buy into the 'badass dragon queen' narrative that gets thrown around, so she plays this stuff 100% straight. We're supposed to think lines like this are cool and they're really, really not.

mantidor

I think ageing Dany up is the problem here (and also that Emila Clarke is a truly terrible actress).

In the book you can make the argument that she's still a child, so lines like these are her putting on a strong face to appear in control, but we as readers can see how false that is.

In the show however, EC and whoever directs her seem to buy into the 'badass dragon queen' narrative that gets thrown around, so she plays this stuff 100% straight. We're supposed to think lines like this are cool and they're really, really not.

The show is sold on that badass dragon queen narrative and the character is very popular.

I have to agree with Demise, the problem seems direction, they really don't know if they should stay true to her character or keep the popular marketable "badass" narrative, Clarke plays the character perfectly fine, she is supposed to be insecure and inexperienced.

I don't think we are supposed to think these lines are cool, we know the consequences of what happened with her decisions, and so did the actress. It really shows when she is talking to Tyrion, how he realizes how naive she is, but then production also used that conversation with the "break the wheel" line for promotion and marketing, I feel both actors and directors are left in a rough spot, they are probably required to create all those "hype" lines.

What song do you guys they should use for the season 6 trailer? I think "Wolves" from Kanye would be an cool choice. Sort of ominous and interesting beat and oh it's called wolves for the starks.

Faddy

Banned

I look at this post and can't see the issue with it. She says one thing then does another. She is a leader but not a good one. Her indecisiveness and naivety are the things that are causing problems.

She doesn't have a moral compass and has struggled with important decisions Flip flopping on bringing back the fighting pits, burning nobles but then marrying Hizdar.

DO you think she should just have been brilliant at everything and infallible?

NeoGiff

What song do you guys they should use for the season 6 trailer? I think "Wolves" from Kanye would be an cool choice. Sort of ominous and interesting beat and oh it's called wolves for the starks.

Seven Nation Army, featuring a heroic shot of Mace Tyrell proudly marching his army in tempo to the beat. Sync the song up with the gif and the genius of it is undeniable.

ZyC1KCr.gif

Paganmoon

I...didn't know GRRM dropped every other writing/editing project except Wild Cards to finish TWOW.

Obviously says nothing about his progress, but it's interesting that he seems really full steam ahead.

(I can take this over to the book thread if you all would like)

jlawok.gif I'll believe GRRM is actually writing the book when I have TWoW in my hands. Not a moment sooner.

Did anyone volunteer for that? I know we discussed it recently since we've been approaching the limit for a while now.

I think someone may have expressed interest, but that thread has been moving so slowly that I guess there hasn't been much priority behind making one. Though with the show coming back I imagine there will be renewed interest in the series.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I am not writing anything until I deliver WINDS OF WINTER. Teleplays, screenplays, short stories, introductions, forewords, nothing.

And I've dropped all my editing projects but Wild Cards.

(drop Wild Cards too GRRM)

Sean C

I...didn't know GRRM dropped every other writing/editing project except Wild Cards to finish TWOW.

Obviously says nothing about his progress, but it's interesting that he seems really full steam ahead.

(I can take this over to the book thread if you all would like)
Yeah, GRRM, close that barn door! No matter that the horse has escaped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom