• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
Does anyone think they'll introduce Coldhands now that Bran's reached his destination? I can't imagine he has no further purpose in the books, and if the theory that he's Ser Duncan is correct, GRRM clearly has plans for him.

(I just finished reading AKO7K and there was just way too much Bloodraven in there for this theory to have no legs.)

Sean C

Does anyone think they'll introduce Coldhands now that Bran's reached his destination? I can't imagine he has no further purpose in the books, and if the theory that he's Ser Duncan is correct, GRRM clearly has plans for him.

(I just finished reading AKO7K and there was just way too much Bloodraven in there for this theory to have no legs.)
Duncan the Tall was killed at Summerhall.

I wouldn't expect to see Coldhands at this point.

Apt101

Yeh, Summerhall seems like the pretty definitive end for Dunk.

Not just that, but Dunk wasn't at the Wall near his time of death, did not worship the old gods like Cold Hands appears to, and was like 6' 4" at least. It's just a bonkers theory.

The sadder part is that a lot of people in this thread think it's funny

I'm a lurker in this thread in general and I just now came back after a 4ish month break. I was getting so tired of the jokes getting repeated ad nauseium. It's like the guy in the office who still uses the "WASSSSUPPP!!!" joke and laughs at himself.

the child must be too old

image.php

mantidor

Sansa was brought to the North literally just to be raped. No seriously look at all she did in Season 5. People aren't putting anything past D&D anymore.

Or how Meryn Trant needed to be a violent pedophile, he wasn't already horrible enough for the show, for some reason.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Sansa was brought to the North literally just to be raped. No seriously look at all she did in Season 5. People aren't putting anything past D&D anymore.

Let's not act like the concept of a daughter of a noble house being married off to someone she doesn't want to be with for political gain is some crazy D&D idea.

Euron

Let's not act like the concept of a daughter of a noble house being married off to someone she doesn't want to be with for political gain is some crazy D&D idea.
It certainly isn't but look at the situation in the context of the show. Everything in the ASOIAF universe has a purpose as it occurs. Sansa is going through an entire developmental arc after being a victim. That's why it wasn't her in the books. There's no role that she played in the show in Season 5 that (f)Arya couldn't have.

Again they went through 4 seasons of character development just to make Sansa a rape victim for an entire season.

I was just thinking about this the other day. They have a significant amount of new characters this season, I wonder if they are going to do another video introducing new characters. They usually did it around comic con so it's probably not gonna happen but I feel like it's sort of necessary for non book readers this season.

ZeroRay

Season 5 didn't make me too confident in the writers straying away from the books.

I'm guessing S6 will be more of the same, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Faddy

Banned
It certainly isn't but look at the situation in the context of the show. Everything in the ASOIAF universe has a purpose as it occurs. Sansa is going through an entire developmental arc after being a victim. That's why it wasn't her in the books. There's no role that she played in the show in Season 5 that (f)Arya couldn't have.

Again they went through 4 seasons of character development just to make Sansa a rape victim for an entire season.

I don't know how anyone can say that after the filler material of Dance, in particular Tyrion's story.

Patriots7

the child must be too old
GoT_joffrey_approves.gif

Ugh, if only I could wash Season 5 out of my head.

It's not. That's not the problem with Sansa's arc in Season 5.
Hell, Sansa is still being married off to someone she doesn't want to be with for political gain in the books.

Euron

Those chapters might have overstayed their welcome, but they didn't lack a purpose.
Yep. While certainly far from perfect they did their job in providing world-building for Essos that wasn't possible with Dany.

Hell, Sansa is still being married off to someone she doesn't want to be with for political gain in the books.
I've mentioned this so many times but it still rings true. In the books (TWOW Chapter tagged just in case)
Harry's an asshole but Sansa is able to gain the upper hand and manipulate him instead of helplessly being raped. The latter just makes for a bad story and bad TV.

Mr Git

I was just thinking about this the other day. They have a significant amount of new characters this season, I wonder if they are going to do another video introducing new characters. They usually did it around comic con so it's probably not gonna happen but I feel like it's sort of necessary for non book readers this season.

I remember seeing one for series 3 I think. It's what revealed to me that Paul Kaye was playing Thoros which I was pretty pleased about.

Season 5 didn't make me too confident in the writers straying away from the books.

I'm guessing S6 will be more of the same, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Yup. I think the best has already passed us, and we will probably look back when all this is over, and say yeah 1-4 was amazing, they should have stopped there.

S5 was a head scratcher from start to finish.

There is quite a difference between a noblewoman going to her marriage bed with all the dignity she can muster and being shoved facedown and raped. The former was what Sansa thought she was in for. The latter is what we got. Let's not confuse the two. They are worlds apart.

ASIS

There is quite a difference between a noblewoman going to her marriage bed with all the dignity she can muster and being shoved facedown and raped. The former was what Sansa thought she was in for. The latter is what we got. Let's not confuse the two. They are worlds apart.
Actually Sansa knew very well what she in for, she was even informed of all the horrible things Ramsey did while that girl was bathing her and her answer was "I'm Sansa of house Stark, this is my home, and you can't frighten me".

Patriots7

Actually Sansa knew very well what she in for, she was even informed of all the horrible things Ramsey did while that girl was bathing her and her answer was "I'm Sansa of house Stark, this is my home, and you can't frighten me".
"That's Moat Cailin. Are we going to Winterfell? I don't want to go!"
"Avenge them"
"Ok"

I don't think that at any point in season 5, Sansa knew what she was in for.

That was what, 20 minutes before she was raped?

Not really what people mean when they say she "knew what she was in for".

mantidor

The whole north plot in season 5 was a complete mess and makes me have lots of doubts about future seasons.

Not just how Sansa as a character made no sense, the Boltons really never seemed to have problems holding the north, we just hear about some incident, so the marriage seems just a plot point to give us more shock value for the sake of it.

This is further reinforced by that trite and dumb candle plot. "The north remembers" yet all they can do is for foreigner Brienne to maybe help Sansa. And missing the candle at the last second was such a cheap, formulaic conclusion to the whole thing.

The whole north plot in season 5 was a complete mess and makes me have lots of doubts about future seasons.

Not just how Sansa as a character made no sense, the Boltons really never seemed to have problems holding the north, we just hear about some incident, so the marriage seems just a plot point to give us more shock value for the sake of it.

This is further reinforced by that trite and dumb candle plot. "The north remembers" yet all they can do is for foreigner Brienne to maybe help Sansa. And missing the candle at the last second was such a cheap, formulaic conclusion to the whole thing.

Reeked of them treading water, IMO. From set reports, etc. it sounds like the
GNC is a possibility in season 6,
and they needed the S5 bullshit to get the story there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom