• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Moff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYOkYquttQ&app=desktop
I just love those reactions

what an epic show beyond proportions

I think one of the reasons this battle worked so well, apart from the legendary dragon action sfx, is that at this point literally everybody could die, except maybe dany. the reactions in this video absolutely mirrored my own when I watched it, you just want everybody to survive at this point which is why all of them cheered at the end.

Brienne versus Arya is basically The Mountain versus Oberyn. It works.

I think one of the reasons this battle worked so well, apart from the legendary dragon action sfx, is that at this point literally everybody could die, except maybe dany. the reactions in this video absolutely mirrored my own when I watched it, you just want everybody to survive at this point which is why all of them cheered at the end.

I think one of the reasons this battle worked so well, apart from the legendary dragon action sfx, is that at this point literally everybody could die, except maybe dany.

Pretty sure Jamie and Jon and Cersei have plot armor until the last two episodes of the series then all bets are off.

Brakke

Banned
One thing I noticed in this week's battle is how it adapts the visual language used in Battle of the Bastards, especially for the Bronn continuous shot while he's running to find the dragon killer. I like that, it shows that different directors on the show can still borrow from each other when things have been established as a style and shown to work.

There's a thing they did a couple times in BotB where a horse hit a footman at full charge and just wrecked him. That happened at least once in this ep, too. Just so brutal and so satisfying.

GreyWind

Reading in the comments how upset some people are about the cheering for Drogon burning people alive.

FFS!

jdstorm

Banned
Just rewatched all Brienne's big fights. (Loras, Hound, Jamie ect)

There is clearly a disconnect with how good Brienne's actress is at doing fight scenes (not very good) and how good her character is meant to be. In this case Maise Williams (Arya) is a much better fighter and so without the need to for one fighter to clearly win due to plot she (Williams) outclasses Christie (Brienne) and thats what makes the fight look so one sided.

Not sure Arya deserves a place high on the tier list just yet. But 7 years of assumedly dedicated training (and while the show doesn't follow everything too closely it has always shown Arya to be dedicated in the pursuit of combat training even all the way back to the pilot where she outshoots Bran with a bow and Arrow.

Gigglepoo

I know those cave paintings were way too convenient but (Winds of Winter spoiler!)
there's something similar in Arianna II TWOW:

And all at once she found herself in another cavern, five times as big as the last one, surrounded by a forest of stone columns. Daemon Sand moved to her side and raised his torch. “Look how the stone’s been shaped,” he said. “Those columns, and the wall there. See them?”

“Faces,” said Arianne. So many sad eyes, staring.

“This place belonged to the children of the forest.”

“A thousand years ago.” Arianne turned her head. “Listen. Is that Joss?”

mantidor

The show is abysmal at portraying moral grays, yet people eat it up, I don't get it. We have 6 seasons of the Lannister army being horrible, pillaging and torturing and doing all sorts of horrible things, and they just sacked a castle, and suddenly people care about them? Because that one guy shaking? Or Ed Sheeran? Urgh.

thx

The show is abysmal at portraying moral grays, yet people eat it up, I don't get it. We have 6 seasons of the Lannister army being horrible, pillaging and torturing and doing all sorts of horrible things, and they just sacked a castle, and suddenly people care about them? Because that one guy shaking? Or Ed Sheeran? Urgh.

I always liked the older brother. He was always somewhat fair and honorable. or tried to be.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The level of nitpicking in this thread drives me absolutely crazy. Always makes me laugh the disparity between my IRL friends and GAF, one absolutely loving the series, the other popping blood vessels because they didn't show us the Dothraki horde killing time on the boat ride over to Westeros.
I don't see anyone busting any blood vessels.
People who are upset with the nitpicking always sound far more exasperated. To me, it's a natural critique considering how much travel time factored into the story in the past.

I know those cave paintings were way too convenient but (Winds of Winter spoiler!)
there's something similar in Arianna II TWOW:

And all at once she found herself in another cavern, five times as big as the last one, surrounded by a forest of stone columns. Daemon Sand moved to her side and raised his torch. “Look how the stone’s been shaped,” he said. “Those columns, and the wall there. See them?”

“Faces,” said Arianne. So many sad eyes, staring.

“This place belonged to the children of the forest.”

“A thousand years ago.” Arianne turned her head. “Listen. Is that Joss?”
I like the idea of the cave paintings. I do find the location of the obsidian mine a little ridiculous.

Violater

I should have stopped reading right here. Unfortunately, I didn't...

And how would you characterize all that training time? Would you say she was a good student? Did she listen to her instructors and take what they said to heart? Did we see signs of progression from Arya as a fighter during these seven seasons, or did a sparring session with Brienne just conveniently replace all that? As for the Hound, I don't recall much combat training with him. Seems he was more about imparting her with "deep thoughts from Sandor Clegane" throughout seasons 3 and 4. And while we're speaking about the Hound, I seem to recall him falling in combat to somebody in S4. Who was it again?

Correct! The same Brienne we saw not only best the Hound, but also Loras Tyrell and Jaime Lannister. Brienne, who is nowhere near the fighter that the fucking Waif was, evidently...

One was a sparring sesstion, the others were actual fights.
I don't see why people are getting so worked up.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
That's odd to say about this show considering that one of it's great strengths is how it humanizes soldiers and shows how stupid war is.

Going all the way back to season 1 the show has excelled at reminding the audience that these people are just people made out of meat like anyone else. I'll always remember the horror of that random Knight Bronn killed in The Vale.

Eh? It seems like you want it to be less morally grey. The Lannister Army isn't some uniquely evil force, they're like any other army. You can think what they do is evil (although Cersei/Jaime are more to blame) while simultaneously being horrified by the sight of them being burned alive by a flying WMD. These aren't mutually exclusive concepts. People contain multitudes.

Gigglepoo

I think the most ridiculous part of the battle was the line not immediately breaking when Drogon roasted a bunch of them. Nobody is gonna be holding their position after that happens.

It's funny because just week Tyrion said, "But my sister's armies fight for her out of fear." Turns out he was wrong again! The Lannister army is hardcore. Good thing Dany is finally realizing her military adviser doesn't know anything about military stratagy.

jfkgoblue

God all those people screaming like it's a football game so you can't hear what they are saying would drive me insane.

Jeez, give me a break with the attempts at justifying Arya's sword mastery.

Brienne has been training her entire life, has proven herself one of the absolute best fighters in Westeros, and has countless battles under her belt.

Arya had a couple sessions with Syrio and a few months, maybe a year? with the Faceless Men where she spent much more time with stealth and magic and poison etc than with swordfighting -- in fact was she even allowed to touch a sword the whole time she was there? She had one bar brawl with the Hound vs some guys, and one stick fight with the Waif where she got her ass kicked.

Brienne would obliterate Arya under any circumstances whatsoever. The scene was just silly. Arya would not be able to parry a damn thing, she'd get her arm broken if she tried if Brienne was going half-force.

What is the point of training swordsmanship your whole life if you'll still be worse than a 14 year old who maybe picked up a trick or two while training with some face-changing assassins -- assassins, not swordsmen?

Chaos is a ladder. The way Brann cuts little finger, like muscle memory, reacting to the words. The face on Little Finger, omg.

" we can hold them off "
*cue the giant scream in the cloud*
*cue fucking epic music*
*cue insane 20 minutes of battle*

JakeD

really enjoyed this ep, even the stuff leading up to the epic battle seemed like a higher quality then the previous few episodes. maybe it was the lack of euron.

my only real complaint is the bronn scorpion scene. it felt cheesy (somehow in a scene with a person riding a CGI dragon, bronn using the scorpion felt cheesy)

it was really the perfect opportunity for an "Oh" moment. bronn manages to hit drogon, only for him to land in front of him and roast him. a character who doesn't serve much purpose gets his absolutely badass death. but no, he managed to jump 5 feet away and survive. even though dragon fire melts stone. ok. nitpick, fine, maybe. then the exact same thing happens with jaime a minute later. bronn will pull him up on a beach next week and say "you owe me a bag of gold you fucka" this complaint goes away if dany and tyrion capture them and hold them as prisoners

loved the stark and cave scenes. little annoying that cersei just keeps managing to score large armies out of nowhere. "oh half our army got burned. no sweat, golden company! we can even re-use the gold armor props from the lannister army"

studyguy

More like Sansa has the super power of being the only character who isn't a fucking weirdo.

tfw your brother can't hold a conversation without creeping people out, your sister is probably a mass murderer and your half brother supposedly fights icecube zombies.
8FS1xs4.jpg

Gigglepoo

I know I rip the writers for fan service, but I'm so so so so so so glad that Meera finally told off Bran. Exactly what I wanted. He's lucky she didn't leave his robot butt beyond the wall.

Moff

do we even know if her father is alive? unless he was killed in the sept of course.
I wonder if we will see more of the Reeds.

TrueBlue

Tbf, I can see Sansa as being the one who keeps her super-siblings in check, or at least orchestrate then towards a common goal.

Which, in a way, is actually really awesome.

More like Sansa has the super power of being the only character who isn't a fucking weirdo.

tfw your brother can't hold a conversation without creeping people out, your sister is probably a mass murderer and your half brother supposedly fights icecube zombies.

Sansa will be a better version of her mother. Especially after that little finger advice to play every scenario in your head so nothing surprises you. Shell be a better, non psychotic Cersei.

studyguy

do we even know if her father is alive? unless he was killed in the sept of course.
I wonder if we will see more of the Reeds.

Nah, they're very obviously clearing the table of any unnecessary characters as quickly as possible, if someone leaves, I'd assume they're gone for good.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
What if the Waif is better then Brienne? In the 7 years the show has been going, Arya has spent the majority of it training with some of the best masters in the world. First Syrio, then The Hound, then Assasin School.

In contrast Brienne's mostly been journeying around Westeros chasing Sansa/Arya while training Pod. Unless Pod's sword is as good as his other sword then Brienne has spent 3+ years without quality opposition. Its only right that her skills should have degraded.

Brienne is still good, but Arya being on another level makes complete sense.
It wasn't a fight to the death. I'm not sure why people are looking that hard at it.

I always liked the way NCW approached the character from that moment on. I believe he looked at it as "Imagine they made a show about your entire life, but they started it on the day you did the worst thing you've ever done".

Yeah exactly

And honestly, the throwing the child out of the window thing was so long ago that i forgot about it ;)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nah, the deleted scene will be Jon telling Ghost to hide in the shadows and watch over his sister while he's gone.

studyguy

I don't think it matters much if one can beat the other, more to the point it just shows off that Arya can fight on her level if need be. Just sets the stage for at some point in the future when Arya is fighting some rando knight/walker and doesn't immediately get trounced.

The show does a piss poor job of showing who is the best swordsman in the land, at this point if Arya can fight Brienne, it at the very least justifies her matching up to or coming out on top when fighting literally anyone else left in the show atm. Still feel like the show itself does a pretty poor job of reminding viewers about the relative skill level of the swordsmen in the show.

I always liked the way NCW approached the character from that moment on. I believe he looked at it as "Imagine they made a show about your entire life, but they started it on the day you did the worst thing you've ever done".

I'm a fan of the character in general and, at least in the books, he is on the upward swing in terms of redemption. However I don't think we should forget the he threw a little kid out of a window because he couldn't *not* fuck his sister for a little while.

Also where the fuck is ghost?

Moff

Nah, they're very obviously clearing the table of any unnecessary characters as quickly as possible, if someone leaves, I'd assume they're gone for good.

while this is true, Howland Reed is the only man alive who actually knows who Jon is and might have some kind of physical proof and not just Bran visions. I think there is a good chance he might still appear.

It's more like there aren't any real records past a few hundred years and so it becomes legends

that makes sense too but you can't deny (unless there's something in the books that lets you know for sure) the possibility of the maesters or whoever, lying about the history of the planet.

Top Bottom