• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

mantidor

Also, why did Daenerys focus on the grain when she burned everything down and not on the Lanister soldiers. They could have used the grain (which was stolen from them to begin with).
Heck, she even complained about losing the grain.

Well I guess there is really no way for her to know that was grain, they sacked Highgarden and they are Lannisters so gold seems to be the obvious. And also it seemed to me she was holding Drogon back, only used to break the lines and burn the carriages but trying to minimize casualties.

Branduil

I think the most ridiculous part of the battle was the line not immediately breaking when Drogon roasted a bunch of them. Nobody is gonna be holding their position after that happens.

The term "plot armor" is so dumb. We're not watching a documentary lol. If it was realistic everyone wouldve died in the first two seasons and the show would have ended with no conclusion.

I guess there needs to be a nitpick every episode that everyone gets behind. Seems like Bronn/Jaime surviving will be the nitpick for this episode
The level of nitpicking in this thread drives me absolutely crazy. Always makes me laugh the disparity between my IRL friends and GAF, one absolutely loving the series, the other popping blood vessels because they didn't show us the Dothraki horde killing time on the boat ride over to Westeros.

I think the most ridiculous part of the battle was the line not immediately breaking when Drogon roasted a bunch of them. Nobody is gonna be holding their position after that happens.

The lake/river where Bronn pushed Jaime out of the way. How deep was that thing?

So it's pressumed that jaime and bronn got captured? That close to dany and drogo

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Did anyone else's brain run around in circles when Jon saw Theon? From "Oh hey, it's the ward and the bastard together again." to "Oh shit, Jon's totally going to deck him for Winterfell/Bran & Rickon" to "But he did save Sansa..."

I liked seeing the difference in their reunion (as the Stark "outcasts") compared to all the Stark kids seeing each other again (and completely forgetting about Rickon).

Yo, I thought for sure Bronn was going to kill the Dragon, but get killed in the process.

So glad my favorite show character is still around though!

Iksenpets

Banned
If the Golden Company is getting involved, is there still hope for Young Griff?

I hope the second-to-last episode is nothing but the Golden Company arriving and then delivering an extended monologue explaining the history of Young Griff. Then he dies and the finale happens the next week as though none of that had happened.

The term "plot armor" is so dumb. We're not watching a documentary lol. If it was realistic everyone wouldve died in the first two seasons and the show would have ended with no conclusion.

I guess there needs to be a nitpick every episode that everyone gets behind. Seems like Bronn/Jaime surviving will be the nitpick for this episode
Absolutely agree. Them surviving was more a play on viewer expectation more than anything. I thought the focus on Bronn surely spelt the end for the guy. I even thought he and the dragon were going to kill each other.

And with Jamie, I was sure he was dying or getting severely burned and further disfigured to haunt his ego and push Cersei away to eat at him.

Plot armor didn't save them lol. Bronn doesn't have any hits left that he's obviously saving for a faux encore.

nampad

Yeah, that kind of surprised me too. Everyone has heard the stories of Aegon and his dragons roasting whole armies before and here those poor saps trie to hold the line against Drogon and a horde of Dothraki.

Well I guess there is really no way for her to know that was grain, they sacked Highgarden and they are Lannisters so gold seems to be the obvious. And also it seemed to me she was holding Drogon back, only used to break the lines and burn the carriages but trying to minimize casualties.

They talked about the Lannisters sacking Highgarden and stealing all the supplies barely minutes earlier in the episode.

Burt

Can't burn the carts

There might be some food in them

Can't burn the enemy soldiers

That makes her the Mad King 2.0

Maybe she should've had Drogon fart on everyone and hope for the best?

jdstorm

Banned
That was probably my favorite episode since Hardhome. When this show nails it, it really nails it.

Only things I didn't like were Arya, who, just 6-7 episodes ago could still not compete with the fucking Waif without resorting to turning out the lights, is now Brienne's equal in a fight. That's just horsefeathers.

Either Bronn or Jaime needed to meet their end in this battle for it to really work from a storytelling perspective. I loved Jaime charging at Dany with the spear, giving zero fucks, but Bronn saving Jaime should have meant taking his place as a piece of charcoal, IMO.

What if the Waif is better then Brienne? In the 7 years the show has been going, Arya has spent the majority of it training with some of the best masters in the world. First Syrio, then The Hound, then Assasin School.

In contrast Brienne's mostly been journeying around Westeros chasing Sansa/Arya while training Pod. Unless Pod's sword is as good as his other sword then Brienne has spent 3+ years without quality opposition. Its only right that her skills should have degraded.

Brienne is still good, but Arya being on another level makes complete sense.

I hope the second-to-last episode is nothing but the Golden Company arriving and then delivering an extended monologue explaining the history of Young Griff. Then he dies and the finale happens the next week as though none of that had happened.
I can't imagine why they'd mention the Golden Company if they weren't going to actually use them. Presumably they would come in if Cersei didn't make payment or if the Iron Bank tried to hold Dany responsible for debts. On the other hand, without Aegon threatening Dany's position by being a likeable Targaryen to rally the masses, the Golden Company isn't interesting at all. I don't see why they wouldn't just get burnt like the rest. Same with Euron -- without his horn and evil sorcery, he's really not much of an obstacle.

rashbeep

Banned
"...and why did you come to Westeros exactly?"

It's an utter nonsense parallel, lol. Jon was playing devil's advocate because he really didn't want Mance to be burned alive by Stannis, not for his own sake. Jon understood the Free Folk's values by that point. Now as king himself, Jon has a responsibility to his people as their chosen representative much like Mance did, but Dany's the one putting her own pride before the survival of "her" people, as she claims to be the rightful ruler of all of Westeros yet still somehow cares more about Jon bending the knee than defending the continent from the newly proven threat of the Night's King.

YUP

Iksenpets

Banned
I can't imagine why they'd mention the Golden Company if they weren't going to actually use them. Presumably they would come in if Cersei didn't make payment or if the Iron Bank tried to hold Dany responsible for debts. On the other hand, without Aegon threatening Dany's position by being a likeable Targaryen to rally the masses, the Golden Company isn't interesting at all. I don't see why they wouldn't just get burnt like the rest. Same with Euron -- without his horn and evil sorcery, he's really not much of an obstacle.

I think the Golden Company is just being introduced because they need an explanation for how Cersei is still in the at all after their army got decimated this episode, and they wanted to use a company name from the books. I could also see some kind of eventual betrayal plotline coming when she can't pay. Or Euron is tasked with ferrying them over to Westeros and just takes them for himself or something.

What if the Waif is better then Brienne?

I should have stopped reading right here. Unfortunately, I didn't...

In the 7 years the show has been going, Arya has spent the majority of it training with some of the best masters in the world. First Syrio, then The Hound, then Assasin School.

And how would you characterize all that training time? Would you say she was a good student? Did she listen to her instructors and take what they said to heart? Did we see signs of progression from Arya as a fighter during these seven seasons, or did a sparring session with Brienne just conveniently replace all that? As for the Hound, I don't recall much combat training with him. Seems he was more about imparting her with "deep thoughts from Sandor Clegane" throughout seasons 3 and 4. And while we're speaking about the Hound, I seem to recall him falling in combat to somebody in S4. Who was it again?

Correct! The same Brienne we saw not only best the Hound, but also Loras Tyrell and Jaime Lannister. Brienne, who is nowhere near the fighter that the fucking Waif was, evidently...

SomTervo

That pretty much did happen though? We almost immediately get shots of soldiers pegging it from the line and screaming.

The line Jaime rallies is the backup line of archers.

Syrus

Banned
I should have stopped reading right here. Unfortunately, I didn't...

And how would you characterize all that training time? Would you say she was a good student? Did she listen to her instructors and take what they said to heart? Did we see signs of progression from Arya as a fighter during these seven seasons, or diid a sparring session with Brienne just conveniently replace all that? As for the Hound, I don't recall much combat training with him. Seems he was more about imparting her with "deep thoughts from Sandor Clegane" throughout seasons 3 and 4. And while we're speaking about the Hound, I seem to recall him falling in combat to somebody in S4. Who was it again?

Correct! The same Brienne we saw not only best the Hound, but also Loras Tyrell and Jaime Lannister. Brienne, who is nowhere near the fighter that the fucking Waif was, evidently...

Brienne doesnt fight people half her size and a fightet who relies on speed and dexteritu.

She mostly fights knights with heavy armor and swords.

Arya skillset is completely opposite Brienne skillset.

studyguy

The dagger ending up with where it did is not something I expected, but I guess it'd make sense given her training? Like at some point I'm assuming everyone who has that kind of weapon will just be on the front lines fighting walkers.

Shit's gonna be weird.

Brienne doesnt fight people half her size and a fightet who relies on speed and dexteritu.

She mostly fights knights with heavy armor and swords.

Arya skillset is completely opposite Brienne skillset.

As a tall, lanky fellow with long arms, my skillset is completely opposite that of Mike Tyson. Doesn't mean he wouldn't beat the shit out of me.

SomTervo

The level of nitpicking in this thread drives me absolutely crazy. Always makes me laugh the disparity between my IRL friends and GAF, one absolutely loving the series, the other popping blood vessels because they didn't show us the Dothraki horde killing time on the boat ride over to Westeros.

I agree there's a line with nitpicking, but there's a noticeable change from how the show used to operate (meticulous and plodding stoic drama to a point of error, through to slipshod country-spanning action theatrics). Like the plotting and writing used to be basically airtight.

Again, i don't mind at all. Personally I'd prefer fast plotting and pacing, but the show has definitely lost something.

Well you're not Arya Stark. Deal with it.

giphy.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It would've been boring because I doubt the Dothraki know how to play cyvasse.

Meier

This is definitely the best show has ever been. Each episode is just knocking it out of the park.. can't believe the season is more than halfway over though. UGH.

This is definitely the best show has ever been. Each episode is just knocking it out of the park.. can't believe the season is more than halfway over though. UGH.

Can't say I agree. I liked episodes 1 and 4, didn't care as much for 2 and 3. Don't feel like the show is currently anywhere near the level of writing quality it saw in seasons 1-3.

mantidor

They talked about the Lannisters sacking Highgarden and stealing all the supplies barely minutes earlier in the episode.

I don't remember the exact words, but wasn't it more like they need The Reach because is where the food is produced? Even if they took some food they still need the place itself where its produced, even Jaime told Bronn to supervise the crops.

As much as I really liked the episode, everything with Bronn was so stupid. I get that the dude is a great swordsman, but when did he learn to master the Scorpion and shoot down flying dragons?

The scorpion seemed overpowered for a weapon one man can crank on their own.

Do main characters, or fan favorites die anymore?

The "chaos is a ladder" scene was beautiful. I kept yelling to my wife, "he needs to kill Littlefinger!"

My wife kept pointing out, why isn't Dany lighting the front line of the enemy on fire instead of the caravan? Only thing I could think was Dany is a noon and wanted loot drops instead of increased her k/d ratio.

A lot of dagger. That dagger is gonna be painted red before this season is over.

I don't like the Mad Queen talk. She slaughtered her enemy on a battlefield. Not some town, or village. She's being nice even giving them a chance to live and fight for her.

Jon shouldn't bend the knee, instead come to an understanding with a wedding proposal. I know, not an original idea, but it makes sense.

Top Bottom