• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

JakeD

The show is abysmal at portraying moral grays, yet people eat it up, I don't get it. We have 6 seasons of the Lannister army being horrible, pillaging and torturing and doing all sorts of horrible things, and they just sacked a castle, and suddenly people care about them? Because that one guy shaking? Or Ed Sheeran? Urgh.

agree with this. using her dragons on the slavers was worse morally but people ate it up. ive seen a handful of people online this morning saying it was too far and tyrion should turn on her.

goes to show how effective the editing of that scene was, i suppose

It's another reason why they should have shown the taking of highgarden. Without it they get to score "moral equality" points which are completely unearned

Do you mean Jaime? The guy who threw a child out of a tower...
Post-hand Jaime is great in the books. He sees Cersei for what she is, redeems himself a little through Brienne, and his handling of the conflicts in the riverlands is fantastic. Before that, he's a real piece of shit.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm a fan of the character in general and, at least in the books, he is on the upward swing in terms of redemption. However I don't think we should forget the he threw a little kid out of a window because he couldn't *not* fuck his sister for a little while.
What if throwing Bran out the window is what made me a fan of his?

GreyWind

OH MY GOD! What is happening!!!?

2zv299W.png

It wasn't a fight to the death. I'm not sure why people are looking that hard at it.

We know it wasn't a fight to the death. It's just more unearned level-jumping from Arya, which has been a bit of a problem for some of us over the last 6-7 episodes. She's gone from disobedient fuckup to master-level assassin/warrior in a very short period of time with next to none of her progress actually playing out on screen.

studyguy

I always liked the way NCW approached the character from that moment on. I believe he looked at it as "Imagine they made a show about your entire life, but they started it on the day you did the worst thing you've ever done".

NCW...? Wrestling?
Where were you when Jaime threw Bran down 10 stories on to ye olde announcers table at hell in the incest cell

mantidor

That's odd to say about this show considering that one of it's great strengths is how it humanizes soldiers and shows how stupid war is.

Going all the way back to season 1 the show has excelled at reminding the audience that these people are just people made out of meat like anyone else. I'll always remember the horror of that random Knight Bronn killed in The Vale.

Eh? It seems like you want it to be less morally grey. The Lannister Army isn't some uniquely evil force, they're like any other army. You can think what they do is evil (although Cersei/Jaime are more to blame) while simultaneously being horrified by the sight of them being burned alive by a flying WMD. These aren't mutually exclusive concepts. People contain multitudes.

Well I disagree, ok, I give the point that the earlier seasons were better about this, and I think its because they had original book material to draw moral ambiguity from. But now that they don't have this, their attempts at this moral dilemmas are just bad. Take the Lannisters, all this season they have been shown as "sympathetic", to the point they don't even showed them taking Highgarden so we don't see them at all doing "bad" things, and that Ed Sheeran scene was just ridiculous, and this was to portray this last battle as "ambiguous", but... it simply wasn't, because the Lannister soldiers are suddenly "good guys".

The show only works in extremes, they are either torturing people at Harrenhal or talking about how they want their baby to be a girl, which was lol worthy, honestly.

The Food Freight Fight definitely holds up on a second viewing

I really like how the imagery sets Dany up as the bad side, with the diabolical fire and ominous music, while the Lannisters are given heroic imagery, with white horses and Bronn channelling Bard

Can't say I'm a fan of Daenerys, but this talk about her being a mass murderer or some unnatural monsters is quite misguided. She fought and she killed the enemy soldiers, which, you know, is what war is about.

gspec

Who is on Arya's list aside from Melisandre and Cercei?

Wasn't Sansa on Arya list also at least in the books? Melisandre wasn't on the list in the books maybe the show. Littlefinger was not on it in the books or show. She may have added him at some point.

The mountain is on the list for killing mica. Ser payne the executioner. The hound is still on the list because she though he died when she left him.

Azzanadra

The Food Freight Fight definitely holds up on a second viewing

I really like how the imagery sets Dany up as the bad side, with the diabolical fire and ominous music, while the Lannisters are given heroic imagery, with white horses and Bronn channelling Bard

Not gonna lie, I was rooting for the Lannisters the whole way.

And not just because I dislike Dany, but because Cersei's one of those villains that I actually like to see succeed. I used to hate her in the beginning, but around AFFC I reached a point at which I realized I rather enjoyed having her around, ASOIAF wouldn't be the same without her presence. Whether it was her bumbling attempts at ruling, her, her excessive cruelty or her rare moments of humanity, she was always a fun character.

Non book reader here, but curious on the timeline of Dragonstone:

In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, Dragonstone is a volcanic island located a couple of hundred miles north-east of King's Landing. The island has a small port and a large castle on it, built by the Targaryens some 500 years ago, when they settled Dragonstone as a trading outpost of the great Valyrian Freehold. When Valyria was destroyed in the cataclysm known as the Doom a century later, Dragonstone was the largest Valyrian stronghold to survive intact. The Targaryens refused to help the colony-states along the west coast of Essos maintain Valyrian rule. They would later become the Free Cities.

How/When is the Children of the Forest stuff etched into the heart of Dragonstone? lol

All these etchings happened way before the timeline of Targaryens and Valyrians?

How/When is the Children of the Forest stuff etched into the heart of Dragonstone? lol

All these etchings happened way before the timeline of Targaryens and Valyrians?

Yes, many thousands of years. At first there were no humans on Westeros, just the Children of the Forest and whatever else. The First Men came from Essos iirc, chased the Children of the Forest out and ruled for thousands of years, then the Andals came much later from, idk where exactly, and beefed with the First Men. Targaryens are a very recent development in the grand scheme of things. The Doom happened about 100 years before Aegon's Conquest if I'm not mistaken, which itself was about 300 years before the start of the books/show. Someone can correct me on the finer points.

And the whole CotF and First Men teaming up to fight the Others and their origin story is just a show invention as far as we know I think

We're in full blown Benioff/Weiss fan fiction, better to disregard the books

Paganmoon

Bran going "Chaos is a ladder" was the most badass line

Best line was Davos "fewer" though.

I get the feeling Bran also gave the dagger to Arya, knowing she'd eventually kill Littlefinger with it.

And nitpicky, but why break the line with dragon fire headon? Go parallel to the line and take out all of them damn it.

Jamie in the water is about as much a shock cliffhanger as Jon's death.

Arya beating Brienne was completely fucking ridiculous by the way. This show's taken many shortcuts with Arya's character development but this one takes the cake.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Arya beating Brienne was completely fucking ridiculous by the way. This show's taken many shortcuts with Arya's character development but this one takes the cake.

Who says Arya beat Brienne ? Arya has some fancy moves but that one kick put her down for a long enough time for a follow up killing blow and at the end they both had their respective weapons in killing positions.

Who says Arya beat Brienne ? Arya has some fancy moves but that one kick put her down for a long enough time for a follow up killing blow and at the end they both had their respective weapons in killing positions.

however pedantic you want to be, the entire thing was very very silly

Yes, many thousands of years. At first there were no humans on Westeros, just the Children of the Forest and whatever else. The First Men came from Essos iirc, chased the Children of the Forest out and ruled for thousands of years, then the Andals came much later from, idk where exactly, and beefed with the First Men. Targaryens are a very recent development in the grand scheme of things. The Doom happened about 100 years before Aegon's Conquest if I'm not mistaken, which itself was about 300 years before the start of the books/show. Someone can correct me on the finer points.

And the whole CotF and First Men teaming up to fight the Others and their origin story is just a show invention as far as we know I think

Fascinating.

We're in full blown Benioff/Weiss fan fiction, better to disregard the books

Well, lol, that just makes me want to read the books now.

One thing was unbelievable even for GoT is how Arya Stark bested Brienne. She beat the hound and one of the most skilled fighters in all of westoros. Arya shouldn't be able match her in a face to face fight like that. Also I was under the impression faceless men were assassins. And mostly use stealth and deception to fight.

OK. I'll take the liberty of re-wording his post for him (since I agree with him completely):

"Arya equalling Brienne was completely fucking ridiculous by the way. This show's taken many shortcuts with Arya's character development but this one takes the cake."

Massa

I think the most ridiculous part of the battle was the line not immediately breaking when Drogon roasted a bunch of them. Nobody is gonna be holding their position after that happens.

They tried to show that Jaime stuck around by the troops, that definitely helped with that.

Joeytj

Banned

Waaaay before Targaryens and even Valyrians. At the time when Children of the Forest and the First Men were fighting The Others (White Walkers), the Valyrians were probably still a tribe of sheepherders in Essos.

We're talking at least a couple of thousands of years ago, before even the Andals arrived in Westeros.

The only thing that seemed really silly for me about the episode is how the fuck did Dany and a dothraki army get to the Reach from Dragonstone so fast and unnoticed? I know I should be immune to the logic leaps of the show at this point but somehow this stuff still bothers me.

diunxx

That Arya vs Brienne scene was so fucking stupid XD.

And why did Danny burn all the food and gold? Take it and feed tour army you idiot!

At first the teleportation powers of the characters bothered me, but I don't mind now since it means we are getting this shit over with faster.

Arya already had needle at Brienne's throat 3 moves in, slashed Brienne's legs where there was no armor, and put a knife to the throat.

In the heat of battle, Brienne would be dead within 10 seconds.

And why did Danny burn all the food and gold? Take it and feed tour army you idiot!

All the gold was at King's Landing. Those caravans contained food and other valuable items. It was essentially a sacking of High Garden.

Dany purposely burnt it to send a message to Cersei. Dothraki can eat anything. There's a pile of dead horses that they can eat for weeks. Tyrion would not have come without food being accounted for.

The gold already made it to King's Landing iirc, but the food is destroyed.

With winter having arrived, I sure hope the show makes a clear point that destroying any food anywhere is basically a crime against humanity (and likewise for the Lannister army basically condemning all the farmers of the Reach to die by taking all their food from them) *and* an idiotic move.

Top Bottom