• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

I was legitimately howling with laughter at some of the faces Euron was pulling and when Meek Theon Reek abandoned ship.

Arya's stuff continues to stand out as the best to me. I'd rather she went south and killed Cersei but I guess I'll settle for a reunion with Sansa.

Is Bran just chilling at the wall? I figured there'd have been a Bran/Jon reunion but since he seems to be leaving I don't know if that's happening.

Based on what they said in the inside the episode, I take it to mean the Nymeria scene convinced Arya to head back south because something along the lines of she couldn't be tamed so neither should Arya?

ryseing

Friggin Theon. Friggin eunuch sex. No Nym/Arya reunion.

Disappointing week. At least two of the three bad pussies died.

It helps if you remember that showEllaria is essentially Darkstar with tits.

...Actually no, that makes it worse, doesn't it?

I will say that not having live action Dorkstar is a damned tragedy.

Speevy

Banned
I thought that for two of the most noble characters in the show, the sex between Missandei and Grey Worm was surprisingly lurid.

Apt101

So decompression time.

Dorne was a nothing of a side story, so Cersei cutting off their head early while propping up Dr. Hot Topic isn't a big surprise and should have been expected. Looking back they gave a lot of foreshadowing to this right up until the actual attack (literally). It was like a foreshadow sandwich. Now there's stakes and it shows that the cornered lion is ready and able to fight; the Lannisters aren't finished yet. Still, Euron and the Sandsnakes collectively are both unironically corny characters and this felt like the writers openly asking the audience "there - feel better? Now we can move on".

The Nymeria scene makes perfect sense. Nymeria "You chose your pack a long time ago. Here's me choosing mine now. No hard feelings. Peace".

I think the most interesting twist was Tarly. It seems like the entire war rests on his shoulders at this point. Or, at leas the war as we know it prior to the episode after next.

The dragon-killing super crossbow feels like a red herring. Seems like the kind of "final weapon" a Bond villain parades around before their inevitable fall.

Whips really are the worst weapon.
giphy.gif

Nymeria knew that Arya was the Waif. That's why she left.
Hmmmmm

I dug the ending, but I was sad to see the verrrry slow ramp up continue. I thought the scene between Grey Worm and Translator would have been fine last year, but they have so much plot to get through before the end (if they want to handle it properly, which I guess they don't), they don't have that long to spend on scenes like that.

Also, how is it Peter Baelish, supposedly the smartest guy around, still doesn't know how to talk to Stark men.

Who else could pull off leather jeans so effortlessly, and yet casually, with eyeliner unironically, in summer 2017? Euron Greyjoy (Paramore song circa 2007 kicks in), that's who.

Edir: regarding Theon, cmon book readers, were we expecting anything less? He's still Reek.
Theon feels more built up mettle wise in the books rather than in the show, mainly because he was tortured worse and we're actually in his head/he seems to have no issue talking out of turn/laughing and planning now.

Show Theon is on a different trajectory, but it's interesting all the same and I love that the final scene was set up for his end game arc.

I dug the ending, but I was sad to see the verrrry slow ramp up continue. I thought the scene between Grey Worm and Translator would have been fine last year, but they have so much plot to get through before the end (if they want to handle it properly, which I guess they don't), they don't have that long to spend on scenes like that.

Also, how is it Peter Baelish, supposedly the smartest guy around, still doesn't know how to talk to Stark men.

Northerners got their priorities right

Neifirst

Based on what they said in the inside the episode, I take it to mean the Nymeria scene convinced Arya to head back south because something along the lines of she couldn't be tamed so neither should Arya?

No, Arya is still going home but Nymeria can't/won't go with her because she's no longer a domesticated direwolf. They explain it well on inside the episode.

It's frustrating that Jorah Mormont & Peter Baelish characters have changed once there is no more "source material" to go off. Peter has been an idiot since D&D took over while Jorah.. Dany won't win the throne if Jorah doesn't survive. Let Jorah go away already damn!!

Did they make any effort to explain why Tarly was chill in betraying Highgarden after Cersi murdered the Tyrell kids?

Not really other than the fact even though he is loyal bannerman to the Tyrells and the Reach, that his loyalty to the crown supersedes his loyalty to his regions hierarchy.

Pkaz01

No, Arya is still going home but Nymeria can't/won't go with her because she's no longer a domesticated direwolf. They explain it well on inside the episode.

Yup, it's more of Arya realizing Nymeria is wild and not a pet, and refuses to be domesticated just like her.

Nymeria could've at least given her a nudge with her nose though lol was cold

DBT85

I just think they could have wholly not bothered and saved the budget and minutes for something else. Since they are ignoring written events, Nymeria could never have been mentioned ever again and most wouldn't have even noticed since its been that long since she was sent away in episode 3 or whatever.

Speevy

Banned
I liked this episode because it's clear to me that whatever anyone says actually matters.

There are no more dead-end plots. People say shit and it gets done. That may be the best we can hope for at this point.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hmm, must have misheard, I took it to mean that convinces Arya to head south as well.

this was my take as well. "That's not you" is what she said, and that's after her "attempt" to come with her back to Winterfell. I took it as she realizing it it for both of them. That neither of them are the kind of beings that "go home."

But maybe it's a misinterpretation.

He gets named Warden of the South and stops the evil brown foreigners. Build the wall and whatnot.

It's been a while since I read the books but isn't Tarly meant to be about honest military combat and law? Cersi's betrayal seems like it would be a greater infraction to him than a former ruler trying to regain a throne that should have been hers.

On top of that I don't get why Yasha would be sold on the plan to take Casterly Rock? Isn't her beef with her beef with Eurion and The Boltons?

Pkaz01

I just think they could have wholly not bothered and saved the budget and minutes for something else. Since they are ignoring written events, Nymeria could never have been mentioned ever again and most wouldn't have even noticed since its been that long since she was sent away in episode 3 or whatever.

direwolf connected to a main character that leads a giant pack of wolves? There's no way this was the last we saw of Nymeria

Apt101

Even if most show-only viewers don't get the metaphors behind the scene, I'm glad they included it.

There's also still a chance that that wolf pack has a part to play, too.

Patriots7

I thought Ned's bones were lost or stolen by the Iron Born?

So who exactly is the ruler of Dorne? I'm going to assume that since no other noble families have been mentioned (well the Dayne's but not really in this context), they're going to just have Dorne heel to Cersei without having to explain anything? I hate how this show simplifies things. And fuck D&D for even bringing Dorne into the show and ruin it.

Is Davos hand of the king?

I'm surprised the Vale army is not mentioned at all.

They changed the actor of Dickon?

So we're going to have another "The King who Knelt." Boring. I wish he had sent Sansa, at least it would be an interesting conversation.

Show Varys is so much worse than Book Varys.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Is Sam stealing his Father's sword going to go anywhere?

edit: That did happen, right? I didn't imagine it, did I?

it happened, and "maybe it'll go somewhere" but not till however Sam leaves Oldtown.

It's been a while since I read the books but isn't Tarly meant to be about honest military combat and law? Cersi's betrayal seems like it would be a greater infraction to him than a former ruler trying to regain a throne that should have been hers.

On top of that I don't get why Yasha would be sold on the plan to take Casterly Rock? Isn't her beef with her beef with Eurion and The Boltons?

Yasha joined a side, would be kind of shitty to turn her back now. See America joining the Allies in WW2. Really wanted Japan, but helped in Europe first.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Did they make any effort to explain why Tarly was chill in betraying Highgarden after Cersi murdered the Tyrell kids?
Tarly is loyal, but also to a pragmatist. He knows that there is a war coming that he can't simply sit out. He knows that Olenna Tyrell is bitter because her entire family is gone and the Tyrell name is finished. He knows that Dothraki Warriors and Unsullied are coming (one is know for their savarergy and the other is known for their ruthlessness). We as viewers know that Dany can control her people, but to the people of Westeros, they only of the rumors and legends associated with them. We also know that Tarly will do anything to preserve their family legacy, and if he is able to win, his family will be the next great house. The dude told his oldest son to go to The Wall or die because he didn't think he was fit to the lead the family name. He will do whatever it takes, he's just another Tywin or Roose.
I liked this episode because it's clear to me that whatever anyone says actually matters.

There are no more dead-end plots. People say shit and it gets done. That may be the best we can hope for at this point.
Gendry been rowing since Season 3...dude likely has Hulk arms.

DBT85

direwolf connected to a main character that leads a giant pack of wolves? There's no way this was the last we saw of Nymeria

Even if most show-only viewers don't get the metaphors behind the scene, I'm glad they included it.

There's also still a chance that that wolf pack has a part to play, too.

Sure if that's not the end then fine it makes total sense.

Top Bottom