• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

btrboyev

Didn't we see the remaining two dead at the end, one hanging from the mast and the other impaled twice and lying on top of it?

No. Not sure how hard it was for some you to understand this. The last picture of them showed the same way we saw them last being killed. Noise around heck and impalement.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Yeah it really does feel like a lot of fan influence over the writing and direction of show

You don't think GRRM has been influenced, himself? I mean, John Snow
was probably going to be killed off only for it to be revealed much later on his importance, if any
. Remember, GRRM has written and rewritten huge parts of his books, entire books I read, just because how he wants it to go.

Did Euron get shot in the neck with an arrow or am I imagining things?

It was very dark but I thought I saw the arrow to the neck, as well as him getting stabbed in the dick, the chest, and the back. I was very confused.

I thought the hanging one was Yara.

I thought it was the whip girl hanging by her whip. I think D&D will keep Yara alive even though Euron has no actual use for her

It was the whip of one of the Sand Snakes.

It was very dark but I thought I saw the arrow to the neck, as well as him getting stabbed in the dick, the chest, and the back. I was very confused.

Taint stab was the Sand Snake below decks with Ellaria. I think most of the stabbing was below deck.

Burt

I thought the hanging one was Yara.

Yeah I thought the same, but I couldn't be sure even after going back to it a few times. That it might've been the other Sandsnake didn't even register while I was staring at it though, and I can't think of any reason Euron would have for keeping Yara alive.

Numeric and pack obviously gonna come through during some fight later.

Baelish gets driven out of Winterfell and gets the fuck eaten out of him while crawling back to King's Landing for more scheming.

plz

Speevy

Banned
I thought it was the whip girl hanging by her whip. I think D&D will keep Yara alive even though Euron has no actual use for her

Of course he has a use for her. She's a hostage to barter for Dany and she'll make him the Greyjoyiest Greyjoy baby that ever Greyjoyed.

Why does Varus sound like he would fit in at the Constitutional Convention with James Madision instead of an advisor to an autocratic despotic monarch, who regularly has people murdered by child slaves?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
You don't think GRRM has been influenced, himself? I mean, John Snow
was probably going to be killed off only for it to be revealed much later on his importance, if any
. Remember, GRRM has written and rewritten huge parts of his books, entire books I read, just because how he wants it to go.
What are you talking about exactly? He did say he was influenced by the show, with Osha being a more prominent character now. Also doing a twist that is no longer possible on the show.
Yeah I kept thinking wow they're killing Euron, wait no he's pretty much in tact.
He's Ramsay 2.0/Joffrey 3.0...we just need a scene with him fighting with his shirt off now...

Of course he has a use for her. She's a hostage to barter for Dany and she'll make him the Greyjoyiest Greyjoy baby that ever Greyjoyed.

He wants to be king of the Iron Islands. She is a threat to his claim. And I don't believe Greyjoys do the whole incest thing

Edit: I get, sort of, using Ellieria and her daughter as hostages for Dorne. In the show they are somehow the rulers of Dorne at this point in time, so they could be leveraged to subdue that kingdom. But Yara? Who needs her. Danny, being nice and all, I guess would sort of care if she was a hostage. But it's not like they could use her to make the Iron Islanders fall in line. TheY already are in line behind Euron

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I just checked on that scene after Reek comes up from the water. It is the two Sand Snakes left there on display as they were killed. One with a spear holding them up, the other hanging.

Pkaz01

Didn't expect much from this episode when I saw who the director was, the ending scenes were kinda cool I guess. Shame he directs the next one too

Burt

The whip around Euron's neck the first time looks like an arrow, and the taint stab was the one in the lower cabin. There's a lot of confusing match on action between the Sand Snakes that really kind of muddles the thing in the moment. He does get stabbed in like the back of the armpit and takes some slashes to the leg, but that's about it.

Don't bring whips to platemail fights dumb dumb.

Okay and yeah, that's the other Sand Snake hanging by the neck. The profile shot looking like Yara was confusing, but I guess she's still kicking.

Vyer

Show continues to be great fun. Euron truly the wild battle mad asshole the endgame needs. Happy to see so much movement heading toward the end.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Episode was okay, but still had a few nitpicky stuff. The Valyrian semantics I can see happening, but it just made me roll my eyes. Nymeria leaving (so she can chill with wherever Ghost is). When Euron and Yara started fighting, it's obvious who was going to win... I just don't know why he's taking her hostage.

Speevy

Banned
Maybe Euron's death will come at Cersei's hand, as he demands what he feels he deserves and she just kills him and takes his fleet by force.

I don't think that works with Greyjoys but you never know.

Supervillains are known to kill their subordinates.

Speevy

Banned
Episode was okay, but still had a few nitpicky stuff. The Valyrian semantics I can see happening, but it just made me roll my eyes. Nymeria leaving (so she can chill with wherever Ghost is). When Euron and Yara started fighting, it's obvious who was going to win... I just don't know why he's taking her hostage.

So they can have repeated scenes of Theon crying over all the things he's done.

Good grief D and D. A man as broken as Theon would be happy to die for a noble cause. He should have charged right at Euron knowing full well that the men would butcher him.

He's finally free.

That's a fucking great ending.

Pkaz01

I really liked Varys and his response to Dany, even with the lame I choose you stuff at the end. Olenna might bring out the mad queen in her tough which is a shame

Gnome

Theon should probably just hang himself. His character's been little more than a background mannequin for the past two seasons anyway.

I quite liked the episode. Nothing insanely stupid happened (if you don't count the whole Dragonstone being abandoned thingy but that's leftovers from last episode).

Really the most annoying thing to me is how Littlefinger has become the worst schemer in seven kingdoms. Season 1 LF was perfect. He was likeable, the kind of guy you could imagine is well liked in court. Now we have creepy batman who makes no sense with his dialogue. What was that crypt stuff supposed to be?

I just wish Euron had bit more supernatural twist to him, like anything. Best thing about book Euron is how he is so unpredictable in what he and his merry men are capable of.

Steejee

Euron could have just decided in the moment, when Theon jumped, to hold onto her. He has no reason to figure he's at risk of losing her or it backfiring, so why not?

I do like how Jon and Ser davos always roll together now. Lol.

This show could spin off dozens of episodes of the adventures of these pairings.

Speevy

Banned
It's very clear to me now that I've seen the episode that all of Dany's Westerosi allies are doomed, and the only chance she has is to kill the Lannisters herself.

Faddy

Banned

She is a hostage to barter with Dany. Or at least throws questions on her alliances. Does she trade Tyrion for Yara? Would Olenna trade Tyrion for Yara? Who is valued and who isn't in this pact. It keeps the other Iron Islanders who backed Yara at bay as well.

Who knows, after looking hopeless Cersei might pull this one out before defeating the Night King.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Theon should probably just hang himself. His character's been little more than a background mannequin for the past two seasons anyway.

I thought Yara would get the axe (har har) and it'd galvanize him to leave the remaining fleet but uh... he's now going to swim around and bump into Gendry.

Faddy

Banned
It's very clear to me now that I've seen the episode that all of Dany's Westerosi allies are doomed, and the only chance she has is to kill the Lannisters herself.

We didn't traipse all the way to Vaes Dothrak and back not to see some Dothraki Screamers run wild over Westeros.

Would've been tougher on the budget.

Yeah...

I just feel like Season 5 is where the show really turned into fanfic territory, for better or worse. In that, they had a bunch of book material they could have used or fleshed out if they wanted, albeit a lot of the dry stuff from AFfC or ADwD, but it was still book material. Instead they tried to do their own take on Dorne, which was so terrible they basically gutted all of it in the first episode of Season 6.

So, they could have done Victarion and more of the Ironborne stuff in Season 5 if they felt like it, but instead they wasted time on Dorne and basically tried to shove in some Ironborne stuff in Season 6 because oops, we still haven't killed off Balon yet.

The show at this point though for me is all about the production values. And that's fine but its such a shame how the first 4 seasons or so have some genuinely great book moments and dialogue translated to the screen, just sometimes without as high of production values as you might like. Now, you have production values for days but the writing is pretty barren at this point.

I just think back to Season 1 when you had Ned at the Tourney Grounds and having a CG Red Keep in the background felt like a big deal of a shot, whereas right in the opening scene of this episode you've got some massive wide shot of Dragonstone in a thunderstorm zooming up to the strategy room.

I just wish Euron had bit more supernatural twist to him, like anything. Best thing about book Euron is how he is so unpredictable in what he and his merry men are capable of.

Yeah, Book Euron is great in part because he is so different than the other Ironborne like Victarion. Euron is this creepy dude that's been missing and comes back with a creepy ship with a tongueless crew after having sailed around the world. He's a bad guy but he's creepy and also kind of charming in a way that TV Euron isn't really. TV Euron just seems like a slightly more edgy version of the raiding/pillaging Ironborne we've already seen on the show time and again. Book Euron has weird stuff like the Dragon Horn that gives him that supernatural element to him.

Gnome

I hope Cersei does win, the "good guys" shouldn't be rewarded for acting stupid. Like, seriously, how do you get ambushed at sea? Was nobody keeping lookout? The ocean is pretty big, and empty, pretty hard to miss someone sneaking up on you.

Also, "taking Casterly Rock" being used as a red herring twice now, lmao. Do better D&D. We all know you ain't spending your budget on another set.

I do like how Jon and Ser davos always roll together now. Lol.

Jon knows the only way to convince Dany to help him is to have the greatest hype man in all of Westeros at his side.

Davos literally hyped Stannis so much that the Iron Bank was willing to back him, if he were in the WWE whoever he was managing would be champion forever. He is that damn good at selling people on whoever he believes in at the time.

He and Jon are going to walk into the throne room, see Dany on her chair, and Davos will just start selling Jon to her, hard.

"Your grace, this is Jon "Believe the Hype" Snow, and he's here to talk. The man doesn't come down from the north very often, but to believe the hype, you got to see the hype. And the hype knows when he sees the hype. And girl, you got the hype."

Alliance formed in five minutes.

Top Bottom