• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

jfkgoblue

The sewer stuff really brightened my day. Such a wonderful little nod. I can't wait to see what other subtle foreshadowing or unresolved questions happen in the last seasons.

I think I'm over the teleporting at this point. Let's just keep the insanity moving. The slow sections were the worst in the last seasons. Thankfully the only bad part so far was the romance between Missandei and Grey Wolf, which I skipped. Very solid so far.
Did Tyrion ever mention that he designed the sewar system at Casterly Rock in the show? I don't remember, I know it is brought up in the books though.

Violet_0

Banned
Euron in the books is a suped up late game villain who happens to have magic, valaryian steel armor, a kraken and a dragon binder horn.

He's basically a walking villain sue loot piñata who just showed up in the heap of garbage subplots AFFC introduced to eventually give the heros some sweet end game loot when he gets offed.

I like this description

show Ramsay would have appreciated his style

Slater

Banned
Did Tyrion ever mention that he designed the sewar system at Casterly Rock in the show? I don't remember, I know it is brought up in the books though.
Yes he did. With Varys when they were getting ready for blackwater. Same scene as the famous "god of tits and wine"

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So... Grey Worm left Dragonstone to sail for Casterly Rock, and in that same amount of time Euron caught up to and captured Ellaria/Yara, then went back to King's Landing to parade them around, THEN caught up to Grey Worm's fleet?

They must be pretty fast :/

Yes he did. With Varys when they were getting ready for blackwater. Same scene as the famous "god of tits and wine"
Tyrion Lannister: My brother was the youngest Kingsguard in history. My sister became queen at the age of nineteen. When I reached manhood, my father put me in charge of all the drains and cisterns in Casterly Rock.

Lord Varys: A most highborn plumber.

Tyrion Lannister: The water never flowed better. And all the shit found its way to the sea. 

Isn't it typical during times of war for them to not contact their family? Similar to how Robert tells Ned not to beat himself up for cheating on Cat, "you never knew if you'd return to her" or something similar. I took it as them having no contact for years. *shrug*
that's true too, but in this war there have been moments of peace, like right after Jon & Sansa take back Winterfell and have their lords meetings. Those were a few days where everyone could wind down.
https://youtu.be/m-mRcaQIU48?t=1m33s

So... Grey Worm left Dragonstone to sail for Casterly Rock, and in that same amount of time Euron caught up to and captured Ellaria/Yara, then went back to King's Landing to parade them around, THEN caught up to Grey Worm's fleet?

It would have been cool to have a small scene with Euron doing some fucked up black magic to give them the wind or something. But seems that they want him to be a regular pirate in the show.

I really like how Davos and Jon stood their ground when it came to negotiating with Dany.
it would be nice to get some Jon/Davos 1 on 1 scenes again, too. I think the only 2 times that's happened was when Davos was asking Jon to swear allegiance to Stannis, and when Jon was resurrected and Davos talked to him to help give a peace in the mind.

"He's a damn bastard!" - Davos Seaworth on Jon Snow
I like how he just says "This is Jon Snow" as if he is telling people about his new friend.

it would be nice to get some Jon/Davos 1 on 1 scenes again, too. I think the only 2 times that's happened was when Davos was asking Jon to swear allegiance to Stannis, and when Jon was resurrected and Davos talked to him to help give a peace in the mind.
That would be cool. Davos and Jon will have a lot of things to talk about.
I feel like they should have bargained more. Jon doesn't really give a shit being the king or the north being independent so "you help us kill the zombies and I'll bend the knee immediately afterward."
I felt like he cared enough for a Northern independence in that scene. He was worried about the undead more than anything right now.

Matt

So, where the fuck was Highgarden's army? They are the most populous region, the second richest, and they are almost the only kingdom to not have the shit kicked out of them so far. Then being bad at warfare has never been said before. In fact, the opposite has.

That scene made no sense.

I like how he just says "This is Jon Snow" as if he is telling people about his new friend.

That would be cool. Davos and Jon will have a lot of things to talk about.

yeah. Tyrion & Dany are getting plenty of scenes together, and even though Davos isn't as important, he's the closest thing to a King's Hand that Jon's got.

Speevy

Banned
So, where the fuck was Highgarden's army? They are the most populous region, and they are almost the only kingdom to not have the shit kicked out of them so far.

Knights only win at the end of the battle surprise attack.

Otherwise they're just for decoration.

So, where the fuck was Highgarden's army? They are the most populous region, the second richest, and they are almost the only kingdom to not have the shit kicked out of them so far. Then being bad at warfare has never been said before. In fact, the opposite has.

Knights only win at the end of the battle surprise attack.

Otherwise they're just for decoration.

yup

highgarden was never known for it's powerful army

just the prettiest

Matt

yup

highgarden was never known for it's powerful army

just the prettiest
No, I'm pretty sure it was.

Like, am I crazy here? There has been pretty consistent talk in the books and show about the power of Highgarden. They were always supposed to have the largest army in Westeros.

dabig2

Like, am I crazy here? There has been pretty consistent talk in the books and show about the power of Highgarden. They were always supposed to have the largest army in Westeros.

Show nerfed them in favor of making Cersei's ascension to queen semi believable. Because honestly the Tyrell army should've besieged King's Landing immediately after the explosion, and ran the streets blood with the meager Lannister forces in KL (as Jaime and co. were still in the Riverlands). And then Jaime and his crew would've been slaughtered as well. And all of this would've been justified by the commoners because everyone knows that the sept explosion was no accident.

But that would make for a boring season 7 I guess.

mantidor

Show nerfed them in favor of making Cersei's ascension to queen semi believable. Because honestly the Tyrell army should've besieged King's Landing immediately after the explosion, and ran the streets blood with the meager Lannister forces in KL (as Jaime and co. were still in the Riverlands). And then Jaime and his crew would've been slaughtered as well. And all of this would've been justified by the commoners because everyone knows that the sept explosion was no accident.

But that would make for a boring season 7 I guess.

I would pay to see that, it's the opposite of boring.

Forkball

I assume a lot are still stationed in King's Landing, as many went with Mace and Margaery. A lot of the other Reach families either A) died with Stannis or B) decided not to help since their lord got blown up.

So they blew up the high sparrow and those faith crazies last season. No repercussions at all yet. They're all martyrs; that would instill a riot greater than when they were hurling turds at Joffre.

Feels like they skipped a beat there in terms of retribution from the plebs.

Speevy

Banned
The Tyrells can't defeat the Lannisters because it undermines the idea that Dany has to bring the whole world to heel.

She never stood a chance of convincing the Westerosi people that she was a more peaceful alternative to Cersei because they already made up their minds.

If Dany wants the Lannisters dead, she'll have to kill them herself.

Watching the rationalisation of the totally appalling writing in these last few seasons is like reading the_donald as they explain away the next idiotic move from the president.

That Melisandre scene was really dumb

"I'm gonna leave the show for a bit since Im no longer relevant but don't worry I'll be back later to die. Also you're gonna die too Varys"

Randyll Tarly is a big part of Highgarden's power. He's their commander in battle. Maybe they'll explain next episode that a lot of them either switched or deserted.

But they really have to explain where the Tyrell army went. All they showed was a skeleton crew guarding the castle.

Speevy

Banned
Oh well that explains why a gigantic army was pushed over, effortlessly, in several moments of a montage. Got it. Stellar story telling.

None of this should be happening anyway. Olenna Tyrell does not have the authority to pledge her soldiers to Dany. I don't care how many septs they blow up.

c0de

What a boring episode.
I know that Dany was regarded as overpowered at the end of last season but this whole "Oh, I didn't see this coming!" crap of the exact opposite of what should happen will happen is getting out of control, in my opinion.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

They don't call him the greatest captain on the 14 seas for nothing.

ZeroRay

Tbh, even in the books, Hiighgarden wasn't very well fortified IIRC.

The power of Highgarden is the power of The Reach and I guess the show gave all of it to Tarly instead of the Redwyne/Tarly/Hightower combo that the books had.

Man, I've kinda just accepted the writing's degraded into a typical dull TV action show now. I'm just glad the production value's still good enough that I can at least enjoy the show for it's "cool" moments with the characters.

jrcbandit

It would have been nice if they made a point that Euron's ships, which destroyed the Unsullied/Grey Worms transport ships, were a side fleet that didn't just teleport around but instead were stationed at the Iron Islands that are nearby. It just seems silly when it looks like his main fleet somehow teleported from King's Landing to Casterly Rock, which normally takes going around the southern edge of Westeros to reach by boat....

dabig2

None of this should be happening anyway. Olenna Tyrell does not have the authority to pledge her soldiers to Dany. I don't care how many septs they blow up.

Olenna going to sulk in Dorne with the Sand Shits over gathering all her bannermen for war against Cersei (a fight they would've won easily without even Dorne's help) and then traveling halfway around the world to treat with Dany will always be the dumbest shit.

Kain

They don't call him the greatest captain on the 14 seas for nothing.

He really is a magician.

Or... D&D have alligned with my old theory from the books that LF and Euron are allies and they have exchanged teleportation devices.

It would have been nice if they made a point that Euron's ships, which destroyed the Unsullied/Grey Worms transport ships, were a side fleet that didn't just teleport around but instead were stationed at the Iron Islands that are nearby. It just seems silly when it looks like his main fleet somehow teleported from King's Landing to Casterly Rock, which normally takes going around the southern edge of Westeros to reach by boat....

Yeah it's not like it's far fetched that they'd have other groups of ships elsewhere. He said Yara and Theon stole his best ships. Not all of them. He may still have a huge swath of ships to work with.

Top Bottom