• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Patriots7

20 good men? I don't see it as plausible, like you said its winter, its also wartime. No keep should be letting anyone in especially from outside their lands, theyve got to survive for potentially years on there reserves of food.
Haha, this show never ceases to amaze me.

I was just thinking, with Storm's End all but forgot, if she took the Vale she has control of all but the North, and would severely wound Jon if half of his men left the North.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The answer to your question is the answer to why the show is so terrible. It's David and Dan. They want to wrap it up because...reasons? HBO would love to have kept this going and they could have if they properly wrote seasons 4+ but that's when shit started getting diluted and now we're left with this shell that they are just trying to push to an ending.
I could've sworn I read an interview where they said they only started the series because they wanted to film the Red Wedding. Once that was done you can see they lost interest.

Sansa: "Come on Bran. You're the lord of Winterfell. You're one of the most powerful men in the north."

Bran: "I am the north."

Sansa: "Okay, fine. You can be the north. Just come inside."

Bran: "I...see...everything..."

Sansa: "Okay, I'm going inside now."

Bran: "I want to see you in that wedding dress again."

*Sansa takes off running*

That was an odd exchange. He brings up her wedding night - you know, the same night Sansa was raped with Theon standing there. What a way to bring back memories.

Slater

Banned
People: "It's so dumb that Jon hasn't changed from dying" Also people: "why is Bran being so weird after becoming an omniscient tree-man suck it up lol"

Speevy

Banned
I liked the scene when Sansa was giving orders around Winterfell. I know this wasn't the best scene, but it really makes me happy whenever they bother to throw in a little world-building scene with no battles or scheming.

zer0das

Banned
I will raise this point for the new page: why is Daenerys floating her army in the seas to be picked off by thr Iron Island fleet when her Dothraki horde can dominate the countryside?

She didn't anticipate Euron building a billion, faster than light ships on islands with minimal resources in about a week's time.

bengraven

I want Cersei to know.

Fuck what a great scene.

And I liked Sansa giving orders. It reminds me of her mom in Episode 1.

Bran was the strangest thing. He didn't behave like this before. He's basically a robot now.

This bothered me as well.

KahooTs

Another field of fire is a possibility with the way things are set up. Lannisters owning the Unsullied in a battle then surprise, the dragons appear in the sky.

ryseing

Dany has two nuclear options with the dragons and Dothraki. Problem is that if she uses either it makes it that much easier for Cersei to rally against a common enemy.

I refuse to believe the Tyrell army went down like chumps. But apparently they did so you could have the Olenna/Jaime conversation. Was it really worth it?

RaidenZR

The Bran stuff was just lackluster writing or direction. The actor can deliver lines so, unless the character is taking a dramatic turn into an unexpected or telegraphed space, then I'd guessing they just didn't give him much to work with.

Arya and Bran basically acted the exact same way. Aloof and strange. No social skills to connect with people who they cared for previously. At least Arya didn't bring up a horrific event when talking to Hot Pie. Bran just straight up went "Hey... remember that time you got raped for the first time? Such a pretty day. Like today."

The fuck? The directors are pretty lame for that.

It would be nice seeing Dany failing tbh. That discussion she had with her advisors about letting the dragon's loose speaks of her recklessness, that will eventually kill at least one of those dragons.

Oh, one of the dragons (probably Viserion) is a goner for sure. Will be shot down by a ballista. That's already been 100% telegraphed. Doesn't change my prediction that Cersei's dead at the end of this season and Dany isn't.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Jon and Dany's interactions are surprisingly good.

Also nice seeing Tyrion and Jon talking with each other again.

it was at exactly the moment they're standing there outside on those steps when i realized how much tension D&D must have been feeling all those years -- and suddenly realized these two are literally the most wooden leads in the entire series -- but was instantly relieved. They really do click. Thank god.

Speevy

Banned
I think the purpose of the Bran scene was to make Sansa feel isolated within her own home, having a brother with whom she can't have a normal conversation or depend on for support.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't know. Seems pretty appropriate. And who knows what her plans for her after her daughter dies.

kind of think she stated what her "post-death of daughter' plan was. To keep Ellaria alive, in that cell, with her daughters rotting corpse, meaning they'd just leave her body there post death.

The answer to your question is the answer to why the show is so terrible. It's David and Dan. They want to wrap it up because...reasons? HBO would love to have kept this going and they could have if they properly wrote seasons 4+ but that's when shit started getting diluted and now we're left with this shell that they are just trying to push to an ending.

That's not why. It's money and complexity of shooting the show. This show is expensive as fuck to produce and shows hitting past season 6 cost a LOT more due to contract renewals. The same shit happened with madmen, the sopranos, etc. And some actors, even if they love the parts, want to move on.

KahooTs

As she wasn't convinced Jon or Davos should have suggested that Dany just go for a fly north and have a look for the Others. Then someone could have said no, the travel time would take too long.

Violet_0

Banned
first good episode of the season. Lots of fun character interactions we've been waiting 8 years for, neat twist I didn't see coming with Casterly Rock, the Jamie/Olenna scene was great. Euron is sort of a videogame character who just randomly turns up with his flameball-throwing ships to fuck shit up

almost no one in Westeros can apparently build a castle that can withhold more than an afternoon of a siege

What episode was the last to follow the books?

Im reading that its all fan fiction now but the show is getting the big plot points from Martin right?

Jeels

That's not why. It's money. This show is expensive as ruck and shows hitting past season 6 cost a LOT more due to contract renewals. And some actors, even if they love the parts, want to move on.

HBO is raking it in. Suoer expensive yes but also a cash cow. There are very few shows with such high viewership The other being TWD and they are planning to milk that forever.

Ugh. I really dislike "show Jaime."

The books handled him better.

Oh. And I'm going to be sad when Bronn dies.

Eh, maybe he'll take out greyworm.

Who knows!

Burt

Is it wrong that i'm liking Euron so far? If he had the eyepatch he would be my favorite character.
Bruh Euron hit rock bottom when he showed up in the first episode this season as someone in this thread said as straight out of a hot topic

And then last episode was awesome but also sort of like was that terrible I dunno it was awesome but kind of over the top

And then this episode was the greatest smarmiest baller sack of shit ever

So no, it's not wrong, Euron's the real deal now baby

off topic but I also saw ghost in the shell the other day and he was actually one of the few highlights when I went in totally expecting to totally hate him

People: "It's so dumb that Jon hasn't changed from dying" Also people: "why is Bran being so weird after becoming an omniscient tree-man suck it up lol"

The problem I have with it is we basically got no introduction to it whatsoever, after episode 5 last season we only have a couple scenes with Bran and in them he still seemed like himself but taken aback. Which would make sense. Hell him and Meera could see the wall when he finished the tower of Joy scene, so their first scene in S7 is literally that same day probably, he was a little robot-ish with Ed but not anything as much as he was this episode. I just think/feel we're missing a solid 2-3 episodes of scenes for him (Which I know wouldn't be much anyway but still.) We don't get to see him turn into what he was this episode. Jon post death has had much more screen time, Bran has not after his big "change". Hell, what happened to Bran's story line in terms of importance is literally the opposite of Jon. Jon gets brought back to life and then barely changes at all as a character then receives a lot of screen time. Bran becomes the three eyed raven and has a super small amount of screen time but has apparently changed significantly.

Because Tyrion was responsible for his son's death. As a once father, he probably would let the facts of the matter get the better of him at least at first.
again...why would Davos's own family not be important to him? Unless they do not exist to him anymore?
Tyrion hardly is "responsible". He planned the citys defence and that's it. Davos cannot possibly start asking for apologies when his son and Davos himself would no doubt have killed Tyrion given the chance. Also it's not like Davos came unprepared to meet Tyrion, he knew they would meet him and the trip there took a long time. Also his son died supposedly year+ ago depending how you look at the timeline, it's not that fresh of a wound anymore.

And sure his family is important to him but I doubt house Seaworth is important enough to waste wartime ravens on. It's not like they are some huge house with soldiers, big finances ect. to take care of that need to be immediately informed about possible losses. Davos was very high ranked but he isn't from an important house.

And that's as I said would be if they even had a raven that could reach them. Possibly would first have to send a raven to Storms End (that may or may not be in Stannis's control in the show) to even forward the message to his family that may or may not live in the Stormlands.

Speevy

Banned
What episode was the last to follow the books?

Im reading that its all fan fiction now but the show is getting the big plot points from Martin right?

They've been slicing little pieces from the books, but pretty much nothing follows the books past Tywin Lannister's death. Virtually every major event has been altered significantly in some way.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bran was the strangest thing. He didn't behave like this before. He's basically a robot now.

Just watched that scene. Apparently becoming Westeros' biggest voyeur makes you monotone and incapable of attempting an explanation to simple questions.

This whole three eyed raven subplot has been a total wash since S1.

Tyrion hardly is "responsible". He planned the citys defence and that's it. Davos cannot possibly start asking for apologies when his son and Davos himself would no doubt have killed Tyrion given the chance. Also it's not like Davos came unprepared to meet Tyrion, he knew they would meet him and the trip there took a long time. Also his son died supposedly year+ ago depending how you look at the timeline, it's not that fresh of a wound anymore.

And sure his family is important to him but I doubt house Seaworth is important enough to waste wartime ravens on. It's not like they are some huge house with soldiers, big finances ect. to take care of that need to be immediately informed about possible losses. Davos was very high ranked but he isn't from an important house.

And that's as I said would be if they even had a raven that could reach them. Possibly would first have to send a raven to Storms End (that may or may not be in Stannis's control in the show) to even forward the message to his family that may or may not live in the Stormlands.

it's war, I get that. but Matthos's death was still tragic and he still died by Tyrion's hand. That's not something I think the show should gloss over and that's that. Davos has proven himself to be a loyal advisor and comrade to Jon so Jon should give him the freedom to contact his family if that is an issue - and I'm sure he would if Davos wanted to contact his family but he doesn't seem like he ants to.

If ravens can go from the Citadel all the way to Winterfell, then they can go from Winterfell to Storms End.

Apt101

it's war, I get that. but Matthos's death was still tragic and he still died by Tyrion's hand. That's not something I think the show should gloss over and that's that. Davos has proven himself to be a loyal advisor and comrade to Jon so Jon should give him the freedom to contact his family if that is an issue - and I'm sure he would if Davos wanted to contact his family but he doesn't seem like he ants to.

If ravens can go from the Citadel all the way to Winterfell, then they can go from Winterfell to Storms End.

Yea but also keep in mind the economy of time in finishing this story, and what show-only viewers care about. They don't remember or care that Davos had family. Shit many would probably have to think for a moment before even remembering who Jon Snow's father is supposed to be, or what brothers he lost.

Forkball

The world map for Euron:
skyrim-ingame-west-lg.png

Euron has traveled the world. It makes sense that he would already have a lot of fast travel points unlocked.

The teleportation is simply a symptom of the monetary/time restraints the show is now under. I don't like it, but I understand why they are doing it. It is pretty ridiculous though to think back on how long it took people to travel. Robert spent weeks on the road to Winterfell and the show spent time showing how arduous a journey it was, yet now characters go twice that distance with no consequence.

Anyways, I thought it was an overall excellent episode. Dany, Jon, and Tyrion meeting lived up to expectations. Dany was all haughty, Jon was stubborn, and Tyrion was smarter than both of them. It's the scene everyone has been waiting for since season one. I am loving Cersei's character this season. Compared to her foolishness and poor decisions after taking command when Tywin died, she is now much more cunning and brutal. That scene with the sand snakes... damn, that was more vicious than I imagined. I thought she would have the mountain kill them, or burn them alive, but Cersei is far more creative than I. She is an excellent antagonist to the idealistic Dany. Though it will be interesting to see if Dany goes full blown fire and blood now that she has taken some major hits and how people react to it.

I see some people talk about how weird Bran was.... and he was, but it wasn't out of nowhere in my mind. He is completely different than before, and is driven by a purpose most can't fathom. Also, the dude is just straight up addicted to the Weirnet. Don't act like you're better when you get bummed once you find out a place doesn't have wifi.

One thing I don't understand is how Olenna is even in Highgarden. She was on Dragonstone last time we saw her. Why not stay there? You had to imagine she knew that if she went to Highgarden it would be a death sentence. At least she went down swinging.

And I'm sorry... I still don't like Euron. He's not as interesting as Book Euron OR Book Victarion. I know the show is the show, but he seems like such a missed opportunity. Can you tell which lines are from Book Euron and which are from Show Euron?

"We are the ironborn, and once we were conquerors. Our writ ran everywhere the sound of the waves was heard. My brother would have be content with the cold and dismal north, my niece with even less ... but I shall give you Lannisport. Highgarden. The Arbor. Oldtown. The riverlands and the Reach, the kingswood and the rainwood, Dorne and the marches, the Mountains of the Moon and the Vale of Arryn, Tarth and the Stepstones. I say we take it all! I say, we take Westeros."

"Let's go murder them."

"Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray."

"A finger in the bum."

TBF, who knows how much time has gone passed since the last time we saw Bran. He arrived at the Wall as a white-eyed mess, and it's quite likely some weeks went by before he reached Winterfell.

Speevy

Banned
Am I remembering incorrectly or did Cersei say the sept explosion was an accident?

Is this season 7's "Poisoned by his enemies."?

Slater

Banned
Euron in the books is a suped up late game villain who happens to have magic, valaryian steel armor, a kraken and a dragon binder horn.

He's basically a walking villain sue loot piñata who just showed up in the heap of garbage subplots AFFC introduced to eventually give the heros some sweet end game loot when he gets offed.

Yea but also keep in mind the economy of time in finishing this story, and what show-only viewers care about. They don't remember or care that Davos had family. Shit many would probably have to think for a moment before even remembering who Jon Snow's father is supposed to be, or what brothers he lost.

even though I started reading the book, I am still a show-only viewer mostly and I care that Davos had a family...however, I get that I'm in the minority. It just sucks how little exposition this character is getting now. He was great last season.

Matter of fact, a lot of supporting characters are getting very little screentime. Hound + bannerless so far just in the first episode, Bran was missing in episode 2 and Arya was missing in this episode.

Euron in the books is a suped up late game villain who happens to have magic, valaryian steel armor, a kraken and a dragon binder horn.

He's basically a walking villain sue loot piñata who just showed up in the heap of garbage subplots AFFC introduced to eventually give the heros some sweet end game loot when he gets offed.

Yeah he's pretty ridiculous in the books. Show Euron at least doesn't look that overpowered.

I wonder if he will bring a kraken in the show to fight the dragon.

Ramirez

even though I started reading the book, I am still a show-only viewer mostly and I care that Davos had a family...however, I get that I'm in the minority. It just sucks how little exposition this character is getting now. He was great last season.

Matter of fact, a lot of supporting characters are getting very little screentime. Hound + bannerless so far just in the first episode, Bran was missing in episode 2 and Arya was missing in this episode.

Isn't it typical during times of war for them to not contact their family? Similar to how Robert tells Ned not to beat himself up for cheating on Cat, "you never knew if you'd return to her" or something similar. I took it as them having no contact for years. *shrug*

That was an odd exchange. He brings up her wedding night - you know, the same night Sansa was raped with Theon standing there. What a way to bring back memories.

If the show was more clever, I'd bet it could be Bran being creepy on purpose to absolve himself from the responsibilities of being Lord of Winterfell.

The sewer stuff really brightened my day. Such a wonderful little nod. I can't wait to see what other subtle foreshadowing or unresolved questions happen in the last seasons.

I think I'm over the teleporting at this point. Let's just keep the insanity moving. The slow sections were the worst in the last seasons. Thankfully the only bad part so far was the romance between Missandei and Grey Wolf, which I skipped. Very solid so far.

Top Bottom