• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

NandoGip

Anyone listen to the podcast "Mythical Astronomy of Ice and Fire"?

Insanely fascinating. I never realized how much deeper these books could be.

Violet_0

Banned
You aren't.
well, there's two of us then, heh

Unfortunately, I stopped betting on this years ago. Chaos versus Order, "only the ladder", all that. It was around 2015 I started getting the feeling that was fated to be their last conversation.
I wish he would just fucking leave Winterfell, go back to the Vale and actually do something noteworthy
preview spoiler
now he's going to attempt to murder Bran because he's the "heir of Winterfell", get killed in the process and accomplish nothing. The fool should have just stayed mayor of Baltimore

He was getting his forehead carved in the sept when *BOOM*! Also, did you know he's gay? You might have missed that on the show. I think he was gay. Maybe. It's hard to tell. That was his only trait. Awesomely written character!

Not true at all. He was expertly skilled at shaving body hair with a straight razor.

Ithil

Casterly Rock and Highgarden, never seen even in the books so far, are finally shown...and both fall in the same scene, in the same episode.

I'm starting to think the cut down to seven episodes was a mistake. The rush to clear things out of the way is getting hilarious.

Also just one line in the Oldtown scene would have saved it, just something like "the greyscale will likely return eventually, but you're safe for the time being". Instead it's like Jorah is just cured like that? They made it seem too easy given it was supposed to be the most deadly disease and even Shireen being cured of it was a miracle.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Hey and what happened to Show Loras? Because in the books, he got his ass kicked and was on the verge of dying in Dragonstone, right?

NfcQGkb.jpg

epuwnRR.jpg

Ithil

I'm finding the easy triumphs of Cersei all a bit implausible.
You had Lannisters (and Euron from episode 2 on) vs Dany/Dothraki/Unsullied/Tyrells/Greyjoys/Dorne, but somehow everyone but Dany and the Dothraki are already eliminated in three episodes.

The allies getting swept off the table has been ludicrously fast and easy, they basically did nothing. Where is the Tyrell army for instance? They're mean to have a huge standing army. They handwaved the Dornish army still being in Dorne but come on, why is everyone so useless all of a sudden?

Ithil

Bran's actor frankly got a shit role.

While the likes of Arya travel all over Westeros and beyond and have many scenes working with great actors with plenty of sword fighting and action scenes, Bran has sat in a sled in the snow for 4 seasons, with the same 2-3 characters.

Now he's supposed to be aloof and emotionless now that he's actually in civilization again.

Also just one line in the Oldtown scene would have saved it, just something like "the greyscale will likely return eventually, but you're safe for the time being". Instead it's like Jorah is just cured like that? They made it seem too easy given it was supposed to be the most deadly disease and even Shireen being cured of it was a miracle.

I complained about in this thread last week to mixed results. Cutting the scale off with a scalpel and putting a salve made from common ingredients seemed awfully simplistic to me for a disease with such an ominous reputation. Oh, well- Jorah needed something to do for half a season, so there it is.

NandoGip

You had Lannisters (and Euron from episode 2 on) vs Dany/Dothraki/Unsullied/Tyrells/Greyjoys/Dorne, but somehow everyone but Dany and the Dothraki are already eliminated in three episodes.

The allies getting swept off the table has been ludicrously fast and easy, they basically did nothing. Where is the Tyrell army for instance? They're mean to have a huge standing army. They handwaved the Dornish army still being in Dorne but come on, why is everyone so useless all of a sudden?

I could be wrong (probably very wrong) but this is my understanding:

Dothraki, Unsullied: Forces split on boats where they're weak, protecting their base, and the mission to the Lannister home
Tyrells: I think a large amount of their force was actually aligned with Cersei or something
Greyjoy: Didn't most of them stay with Euron?
Dorne: Not sure about this one.

Moff

every scene was pretty great, loved everything, but especially the end.
cersei will definitely die brutally at the end of the season the way she keeps winning.
then Tyrion will save Jaime

The Unsullied are not eliminated, just isolated. We'll be seeing more of them, I expect, (don't be surprised if they're used as the 'save the day' card late this season after not being mentioned for several episodes.)

My guess regarding the Tyrell army is that it was neutralized by Lannister/Tarley forces during the siege of Highgarden that just took place.

With that said- absolutely, yes- I agree with your larger point. A lot of handwaving is required to believe that Cersei/Jaime/Euron could have pulled any of this off.

I complained about in this thread last week to mixed results. Cutting the scale off with a scalpel and putting a salve made from common ingredients seemed awfully simplistic to me for a disease with such an ominous reputation. Oh, well- Jorah needed something to do for half a season, so there it is.

I mean, they kind of explained it with the archmaester getting mad at Sam and making it seem miraculous that it worked.

Gigglepoo

With that said- absolutely, yes- I agree with your larger point. A lot of handwaving is required to believe that Cersei/Jaime/Euron could have pulled any of this off.

The quickest explanation for Cercei's dominance is that A) Euron is the world's best pirate B) Jamie and Randal are world-class generals C) Everything Dany attempted was stupid.

So, yeah, it's dumb that Euron teleports across the seas (though I don't hink he was outside Casterly Rock, just some of his forces), but if you ignore the time traveling, it make sense that Cercei is winning. War is as much about strategy as it is about brute force. We saw Robb win over and over again despite being outnumbered because he was smart.

Seriously, how dumb was it to go back to Dorne to get troops? Why not just get them beforehand going to Dragonstone? Or send a raven to Dorne and Highgarden that they should seige King's Landing? And why go to Casterly Rock at all? It's not important. Dany made mistakes, Cercei hasn't, and now the tables have turned.

It's not that implausible. It's just sped up because the show doesn't care about time or distance.

I mean, they kind of explained it with the archmaester getting mad at Sam and making it seem miraculous that it worked.

Well, there's explaining something, and then there's explaining something away. My main niggle with it all wasn't that the procedure worked or didn't work, it's more that it just doesn't seem like some highly advanced procedure that could only be discovered in a dusty tome in the bowels of the Citadel library. I think the writers could have come up with something a bit more exotic or experimental if they had applied themselves a bit more.

So only a part of the Lannister army, which was said to be already lacking in numbers, was taken to one of the stronger castles in Westeros and faced one of the biggest (if not the single biggest) army in their home turf, won and took the castle?

Not only that, but the token force guarding Casterly Rock was able to deal heavy casualties to the Unsullied and Euron used warp factor 9 to get to the other side of the entire continent not only without the Tyrells noticing, but also fast enough in order to set up an ambush for the Targaryen fleet?

I can see this show's brains oozing out of its ears at this point.

Moff

the teleportation of Euron from Kings LAnding to Casterly Rock is most definitely the top teleportation we have seen so far.

Now personally I never cared about it, I understand thy it needs to be done and think the pacing is better for it. And after all we see the events of 2000+ pages in 13 episodes now, there will be a lot of teleportation.

However, the problem this time was there could have simply not been weeks or months between those scenes. Cersei said it herself it was 48 hours.
Euron brought Ellaria -> Cersei chained her -> slept with Jaime and told him about Ellaria -> was informed the banker is there -> told the banker in 48 hours he will get his money
it's 48 hours, that's how long it took for Euron to sail to Casterly Rock, including both sieges at the Rock and in Highgarden

Well, there's explaining something, and then there's explaining something away. My main niggle with it all wasn't the procedure worked or didn't work, it's more that it just doesn't seem like some highly advanced procedure that could only be discovered in a dusty tome in the bowels of the Citadel library. I think the writers could have come up with something a bit more exotic or experimental if they had applied themselves a bit more.

Yes. It could've been something Sam read "in a book" that was talking about a similar disease to greyscale and experimented on Jorah and found the right solution.

It simplistic and frankly dumb in how Jorah was cured.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
the teleportation of Euron from Kings LAnding to Casterly Rock is most definitely the top teleportation we have seen so far.

Now personally I never cared about it, I understand thy it needs to be done and think the pacing is better for it. And after all we see the events of 2000+ pages in 13 episodes now, there will be a lot of teleportation.

However, the problem this time was there could have simply not been weeks or months between those scenes. Cersei said it herself it was 48 hours.
Euron brought Ellaria -> Cersei chained her -> slept with Jaime and told him about Ellaria -> was informed the banker is there -> told the banker in 48 hours he will get his money
it's 48 hours, that's how long it took for Euron to sail to Casterly Rock, including both sieges at the Rock and in Highgarden

She said fortnight, which I always felt was a vague set of "time" but it generally means 2 weeks.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

A fortnight isn't 48 hours.

Ithil

The quickest explanation for Cercei's dominance is that A) Euron is the world's best pirate B) Jamie and Randal are world-class generals C) Everything Dany attempted was stupid.

So, yeah, it's dumb that Euron teleports across the seas (though I don't hink he was outside Casterly Rock, just some of his forces), but if you ignore the time traveling, it make sense that Cercei is winning. War is as much about strategy as it is about brute force. We saw Robb win over and over again despite being outnumbered because he was smart.

Seriously, how dumb was it to go back to Dorne to get troops? Why not just get them beforehand going to Dragonstone? Or send a raven there that they would seige King's Landing? And why go to Casterly Rock at all? It's not important. Dany made mistakes, Cercei hasn't, and now the tables have turned.

It's not that implausible. It's just sped up because the show doesn't care about time or distance.

You saw his giant flagship there.

Gigglepoo

Tyrion couldnt possibly know about the teleporting capabilities of the Iron Fleet

Even Jon (who isn't the sharpest tool) pointed out that Dany could have already taken King's Landing. Tyrion's moves aren't meant to win the war. It would be quicker, have fewer casualities, and demand less risk if they had just attacked King's Landing from the onset instead of dicking around like they have been.

You saw his giant flagship there.

Clearly, I didn't. Man, the showrunners really don't care. If Euron wasn't there, the whole situation could have actually been explained. Now it's just silly.

Top Bottom