• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn Remake Developer announces to significantly scale down the studio

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I don't even know what to take away from this. Loved Until Dawn probably my favorite in this genre, but remake it and selling 60 bucks? Any elementary schooler except Hulst knows it's DOA.

mdkirby

Damn that’s a shame. They make good stuff. I wish Sony would buy them on the cheap, but they’re cutting costs.

Killjoy-NL

Hmm am I mixing them up? This is the same guys that made the quarry right?
Just checked, The Quarry and original Until Dawn were developed by Supermassive Games

Until Dawn Remake seems to be Ballistic Moon's first game.
Weird to already announce them downscaling.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Hmm am I mixing them up? This is the same guys that made the quarry right?
That's OG maker, Supermassive, and they are still releasing their huge Dark Picture Anthology series. This studio was founded in 2022, although it appears to be made of many Supermassive folks.

Whatever they pitched as their next project might have not worked out at all, so they have to scale down and focus on getting a new or reworked concept right, with just a few core people?

mdkirby

Just checked, The Quarry and original Until Dawn were developed by Supermassive Games

Ohh, ok, that’s fine then. I mean it’s shit people are losing their jobs. But if all they’ve done is an unreleased remaster it’s not a big loss.

Wonder what supermassive are cooking

mdkirby

That's OG maker, Supermassive, and they are still releasing their huge Dark Picture Anthology series. This studio was founded in 2022, although it appears to be made of many Supermassive folks.
Yeah someone else pointed it out. Sucks as it would be a good way to cut their teeth, and I want more studios making games like this, there’s not enough of them, and they are “weekend binge games”, they don’t last long (a good thing), but when you only get a small handful per year, there’s just not enough.

Still wakes the deep (great but game breaking bug stops me finishing)

And Nobody wants to die are the stand outs this year so far for me

xrnzaaas

Not that surprised, not an ideal game to pick as your first project. No one needs a full priced remake of a PS4 game that already looked good. Sure, they probably invested a lot of effort in recreating it on a new engine, but I don't think there's going to be a big payoff.

Cyberpunkd

The final price for the remake probably takes into account the huge budget it had = studio scaled way too fast, too much = downscaling time to what is should have always been.

simpatico

Gold Member
Concord taking down innocent bystanders now. Upheaval at Sucker Punch and Insomniac as snack and coffee budgets are slashed.

Whatever they pitched as their next project might have not worked out at all, so they have to scale down and focus on getting a new or reworked concept right, with just a few core people?

This right here. They scaled up to do this project, and had to have pitched some other projects. I imagine that those pitches failed and now the studio is in a bad way.

peronmls

Remaking somebody else's game with their assets is hardly an achievement. Seem like a marketing tactic to gain an audience for future low budget games. It's not their game. They have yet to make their own IP. Can't fool me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Good point. You're probably on to something.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Remaking somebody else's game with their assets is hardly an achievement. Seem like a marketing tactic to gain an audience for future low budget games. It's not their game. They have yet to make their own IP. Can't fool me.
its the same devs. they just dont work for supermassive anymore.

sony owns the IP and the source code so they jumped right into remaking it as their first project.

pre-sales must be low and someone has to pay for concord's fuck ups so herman is cutting this studio down instead of giving himself a paycut.

A.Romero

You can tell they are newbies. This happens with a lot of studios and usually there are no press releases about it.

Bojji

Damn that’s a shame. They make good stuff. I wish Sony would buy them on the cheap, but they’re cutting costs.

They will fucking punish everyone but those stupid motherfuckers that are responsible for this mamooth fucking flop of Concord...

Thanks Sony for not giving a fuck about your loyal fans that loves your SP games, this is their worst gen ever when it comes to quality exclusives. I hope GaaS will make them go bankrupt lol

Top Bottom