• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shirrako: Until Dawn Remake is a technical mess

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Goddamn, that looks insanely nice. I mean, the original looked stellar too but this is a clear step up.
Yeah differently an upgrade, but the original never had a 4K update so it's more noticeable.
Sadly Shirrako encode the capture at 60fps when the game isn't running at 60fps which makes it choppier then it probably is.
And all the uploaders have done this
That's why I'm ignoring any comments about the frame rate until I see it myself.

Last edited:

Kangx

This look a lot smoother with letter box. Maybe 60fps mode?

Edit: the animation look way more natural too.

Last edited:

WoJ

The most unnecessary remake of all time.

kim kardashian GIF
Quoted for truth.

TGO

This look a lot smoother with letter box. Maybe 60fps mode?

Edit: the animation look way more natural too.

I forgot the original didn't have HDR, does look better.
And that 3rd person camera is... different.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
The most likely reason is that it is easier to find people with UE experience than Decimal experience.

Anyway, you spend a bunch of money on one remake, then another, then another, soon you're really talking about opportunity costs. I don't want to live in a world where companies just endlessly remake games on 5 year cycles.
Unreal or Unity that seems to be the options for anyone who doesn't get unlimited budget.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
People have lost their fucking minds. First we get a thread about silent hill 2 getting downgraded from its ps2 version and now this.

This game is using the latest ue5 tech plus new animations. Get a grip.

I'm starting to wonder if this is due to console wars. Both games are console exclusives coming out in October. I too think both at least "look" good.

squidilix

Here is his playthrough

Which he labels 4k60fps 🤔
I don't think this guy knows what he is talking about.

The game look very too sharp... and not in the good way...they are something wrong here.
Also I don't like the new lightning. Sure, character model are better (texturing, 3D model), but the original seems to have more atmosphere...

TGO

The game look very too sharp... and not in the good way...they are something wrong here.
Also I don't like the new lightning. Sure, character model are better (texturing, 3D model), but the original seems to have more atmosphere...
The original also has crushed blacks, but I think that was design choice.

TGO

So not only they expect you to pay 60 bucks, but you can't play in 60fps anymore and there are new bugs. Sounds like a great deal.
His tweet says that but his gameplay doesn't...., the only thing we know from his gameplay is he did a straight convert 60fps video which duplicates frames making it choppy.
I'd wait for a proper analysis, but I am surprised how quickly people are jumping on it.

midnightAI

And? It's how you use the tools not what they are capable of. I have noticed a few scenes where the lighting 'looks' better in the original, is it technically better? Probably not, but it's the results that count not which is the most 'high tech'

UE5 isn't some magic wand where every game looks better if you use it (no game engine is) the developers still have to get the best out of it for what they are trying to create. In other words, just because this remake uses UE5 doesn't automatically make it better (it may well be in many parts but as I said, some scenes look better in the original in my personal opinion)

EN250

Loved the game back in the day, no chance it's worth $60 tbh, but imagine asking for that price while releasing a buggy mess

The original game runs great without any compromises

Where are my MotorStorm remasters Sony!?

Shin-Ra

People have lost their fucking minds. First we get a thread about silent hill 2 getting downgraded from its ps2 version and now this.

It’s reasonable to expect at least a solid 30fps mode in a cinematic adventure game like this but they’ve failed to even achieve that.

As a first party game this should be extremely polished but it’s buggy at launch again. No excuses.

Ronin_7

No issues so far, and it's probably the best-looking game I've ever played—maybe even comparable to Hellblade 2.

The performance is at 30 FPS, but I'm not entirely sure if it's consistently locked at 30.

Kangx

Inconsistent frame pacing at 30fps.
No issues so far, and it's probably the best-looking game I've ever played—maybe even comparable to Hellblade 2.

The performance is at 30 FPS, but I'm not entirely sure if it's consistently locked at 30.
I see some frame pacing issue in one test on youtube. Can you switch to letter box or is it depend on certain scenes? In one video I listed above, seems to run quite a bit better than the video in the op but in another video with letter box mode, it run quite choppy. This kinda confused me.

Akuji

Hopefully they Patch it to be a bit better by halloween. I probably invite some friends for a playthrough.

Did the same with the OG when it Released.
Top 5 ps4 game for.

xrnzaaas

His tweet says that but his gameplay doesn't...., the only thing we know from his gameplay is he did a straight convert 60fps video which duplicates frames making it choppy.
I'd wait for a proper analysis, but I am surprised how quickly people are jumping on it.
You know, if this was a free next-gen upgrade I'd be very lenient. If they're charging 60€ for a remake my expectations are high to justify it. Going back to 30fps (and apparently not stable 30fps - we'll see about that) is not what I wanted to hear, even if there's a new engine as an excuse for that.

Ronin_7

Inconsistent frame pacing at 30fps.

I see some frame pacing issue in one test on youtube. Can you switch to letter box or is it depend on certain scenes? In one video I listed above, seems to run quite a bit better than the video in the op but in another video with letter box mode, it run quite choppy. This kinda confused me.
You can feel so inconsistency but it's definitely better than most UE5 or UE4 games.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
They only paid for development and are publishing it (someone at Sony publishing team decided that game was ok to release in this state).

I get that you don't know how real life works, but there's a limit to how much you can delay a game and realistically still profit from that game.

It's clear they didn't think more time was worth it and that's also why they cut marketing for the game.

Sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses.

keefged4

Wait what? This is a remake? I thought it was a typical Sony re-release remastered thing. Was it necessary for Until Dawn to be remade is probably a better question?

All these Sony remakes make no sense. Who asked for this or the horizon remake? And I don't forget how they unlisted the Horizon Forbidden West from their PS+ subscription and how they doubled the Zero Dawn's price after the Remaster announcement. Fuck Sony with these cheap tactics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom