• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shirrako: Until Dawn Remake is a technical mess

nial

What a great strategy that seems like.
It worked pretty well for The Last of Us and this Until Dawn remake is barely high budget either, I doubt it's such an issue for them. Shame that it seems to be released in the state it is, I personally have no idea why they didn't go to the newest version of Decima, could have been a much better option than UE5.

Luipadre

What the hell is going at Sony?! What a mess
Jurassic Park Rollercoaster GIF by Universal Destinations & Experiences

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Looks like this is their first rodeo:

How on earth did they win this work?
Probably this part

The Woking, UK-based Ballistic Moon was founded in 2020 by Duncan Kershaw, Neil McEwan and Chris Lamb. All three had previously worked together at Supermassive Games, which had developed the original Until Dawn for the PlayStation 4 back in 2015.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It worked pretty well for The Last of Us and this Until Dawn remake is barely high budget either, I doubt it's such an issue for them. Shame that it seems to be released in the state it is, I personally have no idea why they didn't go to the newest version of Decima, could have been a much better option than UE5.
The most likely reason is that it is easier to find people with UE experience than Decimal experience.

Anyway, you spend a bunch of money on one remake, then another, then another, soon you're really talking about opportunity costs. I don't want to live in a world where companies just endlessly remake games on 5 year cycles.

nial

The most likely reason is that it is easier to find people with UE experience than Decimal experience.

Anyway, you spend a bunch of money on one remake, then another, then another, soon you're really talking about opportunity costs. I don't want to live in a world where companies just endlessly remake games on 5 year cycles.
I don't think that has ever happened, well, except for Super Mario Bros. 3 and USA back in the day.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Here is his playthrough

Which he labels 4k60fps 🤔
I don't think this guy knows what he is talking about.

//DEVIL//

Supermassive games co-founders left the company more than 8 months ago.

I believe they saw the writing on the wall very clearly it's going downhill.

Not sure if they are the same team that did the remake. still wouldn't really buy it for 30$ even.

I am not sure why Sony is even bothering with this. it wasn't a good game at all. Even sackboy Adventure is more fun than this.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Even?

Wash your mouth out, sackboy adventures is great fun in any context.
truth is I didnt buy it / play it. the previous games kinda left a bad taste that I didnt give this a chance. but watched gameplay vids and it look like a solid 7 out of 10. just so many games I have I dont find the need to buy this one yet. it can wait.

Reactions: GHG

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

The cost to get this team up to speed on Decima probably would have been significantly higher and probably would have required assistance from Nixxes to get running on PC.

GHG

truth is I didnt buy it / play it. the previous games kinda left a bad taste that I didnt give this a chance. but watched gameplay vids and it look like a solid 7 out of 10. just so many games I have I dont find the need to buy this one yet. it can wait.

I wouldn't pay full price for it (I didn't, I paid $22 via cdkeys), but it's great fun for what it is even though it's not really breaking any new ground in any way (although the music levels are sensational, you'll know what I mean if you ever play it). It also has couch co-op if that's your jam.

Strong recommend on sale.

TGO

Yeah looking at the gameplay this is nonsense, maybe there something that pops up at certain part's but so far it looks fine.

Sadly it looks like people are being hyperbolic regardless.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
You do know (1) Sony IP (2) Sony hired this apparently incompetent dev to do the work for them?

The buck stops at the top

So all these people who keep saying Sony should bring back old IP even though the original development studios aren't around think that Sony shouldn't find new studios to do the games? In this case while Supermassive is still around, another company owns them and this was made by former supermassive developers.

Making games is difficult, you can be competent and well intended and things still don't work out for one reason or another. The game had a deadline, it's clear Sony didn't want to sink more money into it, and we get what we get.

That's life.

midnightAI

So all these people who keep saying Sony should bring back old IP even though the original development studios aren't around think that Sony shouldn't find new studios to do the games? In this case while Supermassive is still around, another company owns them and this was made by former supermassive developers.

Making games is difficult, you can be competent and well intended and things still don't work out for one reason or another. The game had a deadline, it's clear Sony didn't want to sink more money into it, and we get what we get.

That's life.
It also sounds like Sony want to revive this as a franchise

Kangx

Here is his playthrough

Which he labels 4k60fps 🤔
I don't think this guy knows what he is talking about.

Yea, it's 30fps. The characters model, especially the faces look extremely good with lot of detail. This game look way better than SH5 at 30fps. The animation kinda suck though, especially the cutscene. It's 30fps, but it feel like a bit more choppy, it's kinda Jerky everytime the char step forward.

This is the cleanest and clearest UE5 game on consoles i have seen. This will look quite a bit better at 60fps. If the pro can get this kinda image quality at 60 fps, then it will be good.

Edit: freaking FSR suck. Character with long hair in motion suck especially when moving.

Last edited:

TGO

You do know (1) Sony IP (2) Sony hired this apparently incompetent dev to do the work for them?

The buck stops at the top
Ballistic Moon is made up of senior developers that has work on other games including the Original Until Dawn.
A lot of Studios people champion including the biggest in the business don't even have the original staff and is made up of Devs that have been there as little as 5 years
The developer had no experience with Decima? (Sounds like they didn't have much experience with UE either to be honest)
But they do, they made the original with Decima and they used UE before.
Going by Shirrakos gameplay, there is a couple of dips during transitions but I couldn't see anything else the section I saw
It seems to be targeting 30fps but we don't know what graphic modes there are and this game may not be able to hold 30fps being UE5.
They're also playing it before launch so they'll be missing the stupid day one patch too
We do know this has PS5 Pro support though so if it performance is the same on there, then we can start calling out the development team.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Ballistic Moon is made up of senior developers that has work on other games including the Original Until Dawn.
A lot of Studios people champion including the biggest in the business don't even have the original staff and is made up of Devs that have been there as little as 5 years

But they do, they made the original with Decima and they used UE before.
Going by Shirrakos gameplay, there is a couple of dips during transitions but I couldn't see anything else the section I saw
It seems to be targeting 30fps but we don't know what graphic modes there are and this game may not be able to hold 30fps being UE5.
They're also playing it before launch so they'll be missing the stupid day one patch too
We do know this has PS5 Pro support though so if it performance is the same on there, then we can start calling out the development team.
Well even though some senior staff are there the likelihood is the majority of developers working there haven't worked with Decima but most Devs have used UE at some point.

I do agree though that the game made on current iteration of Decima on PS5 in such an environment could look awesome so yes, still a strange decision I was just finding reasoning behind the change.
(The UE quip in my original post was more about the fact that it should run well but doesn't fit whatever reason)

Last edited:

TGO

PS5 Pro to the rescue - well played Sony
To be fair Shirrakos video is encoded at 60fps which will make the capture choppy even if it's stable 30fps
Well even though some senior staff are there the likelihood is the majority of developers working there haven't worked with Decima but most Devs have used UE at some point.

I do agree though that the game made on current iteration of Decima on PS5 in such an environment could look awesome so yes, still a strange decision I was just finding reasoning behind the change.
Time & Money is usually the answer.

Top Bottom