• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madao

speaking of Wii Component cables, is there any difference between the quality of D-Terminal vs Component cables and vs monoprice component cables?

is there any way to get scanlines to look right on a twitch stream with a xrgb mini? It looks great on my tv and like crap on the stream.

there wouldn't be scanlines if you captured the raw SD image from the consoles. why go through all the trouble for them?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yes!! I am probably joining the PVM club tonight. I just got a line on a FREE Sony PVM 2530 that I have been assured is like new quality.

Any thoughts on that monitor for gaming?

Little cross promotion here. I've ended up with two mini's because of an odd ebayer and a package being lost. Thought I'd see if anyone here was interested in it before I just returned it to the seller. I'm in the US so you'll get it nice and quick. Just looking to get enough to cover the cost of it.

Post in buy/sell/trade thread.

Huggers

Yes!! I am probably joining the PVM club tonight. I just got a line on a FREE Sony PVM 2530 that I have been assured is like new quality.

Any thoughts on that monitor for gaming?

Solid crt. Definitely good that it is like new as that's an older model and could well have had a lot of hours of screen on time. I think that model is 500 lines so it won't be top end broadcast monitor picture wise but still very good.

Huggers

Friend made me a unit to house all my gear. Really pleased with the new set up.

iIBc7hm.jpg

Khaz

That's a really cool setup, and the Mega Drive Master System is at its rightful place at the top.

I would have put the TV on the other side though, so you don't have to sit next to the wall.

BocoDragon

Solid crt. Definitely good that it is like new as that's an older model and could well have had a lot of hours of screen on time. I think that model is 500 lines so it won't be top end broadcast monitor picture wise but still very good.
Thanks for the input! I just got it setup. After a few hours of disappointment, I got to fiddling with the pots on the inside, and now I'm a true believer! It looks fantastic, and I'm happy to lean on this for my authentic retro needs.

This monitor definitely hadn't been overused in a business environment, like so many other PVMs. The craigslist seller who gave it to me for free was the first buyer circa ~1990-1991, and he rarely used it. It still had the box, manual and remote, like new.

Apparently he bought it at a retail store (I know the exact store he means, a specific A&B Sound location, which is a Canadian chain closed years ago), and it was not for any production purpose. My takeaway was that, despite our perception of these as industrial monitors, budding videophiles in the 80s and early 90s actually bought these for home use. These are the people that bought laserdiscs and such. The fact that they'd sell it at retail changed my perception of these as being exclusively for hospitals, etc.

Huggers

That's a really cool setup, and the Mega Drive Master System is at its rightful place at the top.

I would have put the TV on the other side though, so you don't have to sit next to the wall.

Cheers Khaz. Ha well there's also a Saturn to add to that top shelf too. Yeah the screen isn't definitely settled there, going to play around with it for sure

PVMs seem to be ten a penny on ebay UK. They usually seem to have "trinitron" branding. I take it these are lesser models?

They vary Geoff. A couple of the 100 odd quid ones that have gone in the last few months the have been very decent. Depends on the model number

ok - some are going for like £20, I take it these ones are shite-tier examples.

I guess I need to do some more research. Might be a nice option to have if I can get one cheaply.

Mr Git

I gave my old CRT to my sister years ago and regret it a lot. I now don't really have room for one but keep looking for them anyway. I finally bought Twilight Princess on GC last month but it looks horrible stretched out.

AdamT

Anyone in the Hartford, Connecticut area? This guy is selling an 14M2U for $55 as well as some more older broadcast equipment. He has a PVM-8044Q, but that's only 8in. Here

Khaz

Has anyone tried to compare a Trinitron PVM to a consumer Trinitron with Scart RGB? I'm interested to know how big the difference is between them, picture-wise. I like that consumer Trinitrons can be found for nothing, come in bigger sizes and have consumer-friendly options (remote control, Scart socket, auto switch on Scart, decent sound, etc.)

Huggers

Has anyone tried to compare a Trinitron PVM to a consumer Trinitron with Scart RGB? I'm interested to know how big the difference is between them, picture-wise. I like that consumer Trinitrons can be found for nothing, come in bigger sizes and have consumer-friendly options (remote control, Scart socket, auto switch on Scart, decent sound, etc.)

It depends on the model of PVM/BVM. A 500 line broadcast monitor won't give a dramatically better pic than a consumer Trinitron but still noticeably better. An 800 line one will look vastly better

Nice little set up. Doesn't take that much space either.

Thanks mate. Yeah it was a real mess before hand. Made a huge difference

there's gotta be a dramatic difference in TVLs, right?

I gave my old CRT to my sister years ago and regret it a lot. I now don't really have room for one but keep looking for them anyway. I finally bought Twilight Princess on GC last month but it looks horrible stretched out.

I believe there's a widescreen 480p hack through a homebrew program called Swiss. All you need is a Datel SD card reader to get it working.
Personally, I use it to force 240p on Game Boy Player, but it's real versatile software.

ok - some are going for like £20, I take it these ones are shite-tier examples.

I guess I need to do some more research. Might be a nice option to have if I can get one cheaply.

Not necessarily. If you can make your way into London you can pick up lovely quality PVM via auction for under a tenner.

I paid £30 posted for my KX-14CP1, £20 posted for my RGB Sony 9" PVM.

USIj9hv.jpg

Mmm.

Not necessarily. If you can make your way into London you can pick up lovely quality PVM via auction for under a tenner.

I paid £30 posted for my KX-14CP1, £20 posted for my RGB Sony 9" PVM.

USIj9hv.jpg

Mmm.
Lol, I love how it says SUPER FAMICOM right there in the title screen. I've only played the SNES version.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just one question to all the people who use upscalers like the Framemaister. It seems like it inputs are pretty limited - do you change cables everytime you want to play a new console, or is there a smart way to do this?

Just one question to all the people who use upscalers like the Framemaister. It seems like it inputs are pretty limited - do you change cables everytime you want to play a new console, or is there a smart way to do this?

smart way would be to invest in a swtich

Morfeo

Nice, was worried those would compromise the picture somewhat. Would any of you care to link to a decent one?

BocoDragon

Lol, I love how it says SUPER FAMICOM right there in the title screen. I've only played the SNES version.

That's the whole title screen too. It lacks the nice "castle" backdrop that was added to the Western version.

Morfeo

IIRC, Hama or Bandridge for SCART, Selecty 21 for JP21

Thanks! That Hama-one seems to have gotten decent reviews.

Another thing I wonder though, which might be a bit harder to asnwer. Before when I switched between my Pal and NTSC Snes and other consoles, I could always use the same cables, but with Scart everybody says this wont work and even warns about it. Why is that so? And considering most information online is about getting NTSC-systems to work, does that mean that I need some different equipement for instance to get a Pal Snes to work with the Framemaister? Or will it be enough to just use the Scart and plug it in there?

Btw, this is the worst part about having tons of games:
cZZYDAG.jpg

I am moving :( This box shows Wii U, PS3 and Famicom, as well as original Xbox and 360 games hidden below.

Well I actually just put one away but I'm keeping my options open if another PVM/BVM appears locally. My girlfriend has it in her head her record player is going there. The fucking hipster

Plant that BVM right in the middle of that with 2 bookshelf speakers on either side. Better do it fast before it becomes a record player stand.

Thanks! That Hama-one seems to have gotten decent reviews.

Another thing I wonder though, which might be a bit harder to asnwer. Before when I switched between my Pal and NTSC Snes and other consoles, I could always use the same cables, but with Scart everybody says this wont work and even warns about it. Why is that so? And considering most information online is about getting NTSC-systems to work, does that mean that I need some different equipement for instance to get a Pal Snes to work with the Framemaister? Or will it be enough to just use the Scart and plug it in there?
First you'll need a cable to convert mini din on the FM to euro scart female. Then all you need is a scart lead. If you have one lead that physically fits in all your consoles and ends in a male scart connector I can't see why that would be a problem if you wanted to switch it back and forth.

Then again I'm no expert

Morfeo

So, lets say I get this adapter, can I then plug that one to a SCART switch, and then plug both NTSC and Pal-systems to that switch, or would I need two seperate swtiches and adapters, one for the Pal-systems and one for the NTSC-systems? This is really complicated lol.

PS2 and 3DS-games in the box:
Q0pGMkK.jpg

This past weekend I went to my local goodwill, and I noticed that they had all of their old CRT TVs on sell for a dollar each. So I looked around their TV section, and I saw that they had a Sony Trinitron 20'' TV. I've been looking to buy a CRT for a while now (particularly the Trinitron series). And while this TV wasn’t in the perfect shape (The top of TV is a little scuffed up, and the front cover panel won't stay latched), for a dollar, it was easily minor faults to overlook. I plugin the TV to make sure it worked, which it did, and then I took it home to clean up & try out.

Here are some pictures of the the TV I've took with my phone's camera.
As you can probably tell, I don't have a place for the TV yet, which is why it's on the floor. I'll look for a cheap TV stand sometime later this week.
Here's an shot of the scuffed up part of TV that I had mention earlier. I was thinking about maybe placing a sticker/decal to cover it up. Something like an Nintendo logo, or retro gaming related.

So, lets say I get this adapter, can I then plug that one to a SCART switch, and then plug both NTSC and Pal-systems to that switch, or would I need two seperate swtiches and adapters, one for the Pal-systems and one for the NTSC-systems? This is really complicated lol.

PS2 and 3DS-games in the box:
Q0pGMkK.jpg

The 50Hz PS2 games, it hurts...

I have 29 PAL GameCube games, and 28 of them support 60Hz. Luigi's Mansion is 50Hz optimised fullscreen. Granted they don't support 480p, I went PAL because I was given an official RGB cable for nothing and the cables required to make an NTSC RGB cable cost stupid money.

Most PAL Dreamcast games are 60Hz too. I seem to recall the Xbox forces 60Hz depending on the system setting.

Then you have the PlayStation 2, which is extremely hit or miss. The three PAL titles I have, FFX/X-2/XII I also have NTSC-U copies of to play...

Anything prior to the sixth generation of consoles though I avoid PAL software like the plague.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom