• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
Goddamn ghosting. I picked up a S-Video cable for my N64 and one of those S-Video to HDMI upscalers and I'm getting white smudges all over my PC monitor when I play my games :( Brand new cable and upscaler. I'm convinced it's the PC monitor. I'm gonna try it on another TV tonight.

elmalloc

Your package wouldn't ship until today (Tuesday), technically as late as tomorrow. Weekends aren't business days and yesterday there is no mail pickup.

That is actually incorrect; I thought the same as you until I proved myself wrong, lol. I dropped a package off at the USPS self-service kiosk on Monday (MLK day) and it moved to another state.

And routinely my USPS packages have movement on Sunday. Just because they don't deliver does not mean they're not moving. It's just a misconception.

I had several sellers ship on Saturday and movement occurred on MLK and even arrived at the post office. They just don't deliver. The misconception might be holidays, USPS packages deliver on Saturday. And in some cases, USPS delivers on Sunday now, too.

The 18th was MLK, The 17th was Sunday.

23871353813_56bde91b12_b.jpg

elmalloc

Goddamn ghosting. I picked up a S-Video cable for my N64 and one of those S-Video to HDMI upscalers and I'm getting white smudges all over my PC monitor when I play my games :( Brand new cable and upscaler. I'm convinced it's the PC monitor. I'm gonna try it on another TV tonight.

The Ultra HDMI n64 mod is available now. It's about $200 though, if you want a reference to a known/trusted installer I can PM you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpy1M6v2_MI

baphomet

That is not true. I dropped a package off at the USPS self-service kiosk on Monday (MLK day) and it moved to another state.

And routinely my USPS packages have movement on Sunday. Just because they don't deliver does not mean they're not moving. It's just a misconception. I thought the same as you until I proved myself wrong, lol.

I had several sellers ship on Saturday and movement occurred on MLK and even arrived at the post office. They just don't deliver. The misconception might be holidays, USPS packages deliver on Saturday. And in some cases, USPS delivers on Sunday now, too.

That's not how it works. I was a postmaster for 5 years. Yes mail moves constantly, but that isn't what the problem is. 24 business hours from Friday is Tuesday. So it shipping tuesday is correct by eBay's terms.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
OG Xbox is the first console of the modern paradigm. Its key games - Halo, Splinter Cell, Elder Scrolls etc - these are what are the main game types today.

GC and PS2 are also similar, but I think have lots of the quirky Japanese vibe from earlier Japanese consoles left, at least in a higher percentage of top games. DC to an even greater extent. And those are the types of games that appeal to retro-fans. I remember Katamari and Viewtiful Joe, not Need for Speed Underground (despite the latter being the higher seller). Xbox has some of these quirky too, but not as many (and of course the GCN has Nintendo who even today make more 'retro' games then almost everyone except indies). But GC and PS2 don't feel too retro to me either for a similar reason.

Microsoft didn't make any money, but with their spending they did manage to push change of what a console is - a western-focused PC in a box type thing. The PS4 is more a 'latest' Xbox style console than a new PS1 IMO.

Maybe I'm just a Japanese fetishist though.

Agree 100% with all this. Its why Im nowadays a retro/indie/Nintendo-only player, and couldnt care less about the cinematic "press A for Awesomeness" that populates the PS4 (Uncharted, God of War etc).

elmalloc

That's not how it works. I was a postmaster for 5 years. Yes mail moves constantly, but that isn't what the problem is. 24 business hours from Friday is Tuesday. So it shipping tuesday is correct by eBay's terms.

Business days is Monday-Friday, true, but I think they need a different excuse rather than saying "It won't ship on Sunday or holidays anyway", because it does. What they mean to say is they are lazy.

baphomet

Did you not see my image proof? Lol. Things have changed then I guess. I think you reworded your response to talk about handling time now. Business hours needs to change then since mail actually moves every day.

I've not reworded anything. Business hours are Monday through Friday. Post offices close at noon or earlier on Saturdays, and very few post offices actually have ssk's. I live in Denver and the closest one to me is 25 minutes away.

Mail has always moved 7 days a week including holidays. Business hours have nothing to do with the post office.

elmalloc

I've not reworded anything. Business hours are Monday through Friday. Post offices close at noon or earlier on Saturdays, and very few post offices actually have ssk's. I live in Denver and the closest one to me is 25 minutes away.

Mail has always moved 7 days a week including holidays. Business hours have nothing to do with the post office.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your original post talking more about business days they're given to ship rather than the package actually making movement if they were able to ship it (which they were).

They gave the excuse that Sundays are closed and Monday is a holiday, so the SSK excuse is out of laziness, they can take advantage of the 24 hour business day rule. I dropped my package off, they didn't, that's fine they're still within the rules but it seems lazy.

I've actually got my OG Xbox plugged into my PVM right now, via SCART.

Enjoying me some THPS4 that I picked up for 50p. Still a bloody amazing game.

Mega

Banned
But for me the raison d'être for OG Xbox is stuff like the "Dreamcast 2" style lineup of exclusive Sega games, or Team Ninja exclusives, etc. There is plenty of very console (and very Japanese!) stuff on it.
Yeah, the Xbox is still a pretty well kept secret, even among people who are into old school games. Everyone knows Ninja Gaiden, but then you dig a little deeper and find stuff like Outrun 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi 1 + 2, JSRF, Phantom Dust, Spikeout, Gunvalkyrie, Genma Onimusha, etc. There's some really, really excellent stuff on there.

I'm willing to keep an open mind about getting an Xbox down the line if I can get my hands on such games.

Peltz

OG Xbox is the first console of the modern paradigm. Its key games - Halo, Splinter Cell, Elder Scrolls etc - these are what are the main game types today.

GC and PS2 are also similar, but I think have lots of the quirky Japanese vibe from earlier Japanese consoles left, at least in a higher percentage of top games. DC to an even greater extent. And those are the types of games that appeal to retro-fans. I remember Katamari and Viewtiful Joe, not Need for Speed Underground (despite the latter being the higher seller). Xbox has some of these quirky too, but not as many (and of course the GCN has Nintendo who even today make more 'retro' games then almost everyone except indies). But GC and PS2 don't feel too retro to me either for a similar reason.

Microsoft didn't make any money, but with their spending they did manage to push change of what a console is - a western-focused PC in a box type thing. The PS4 is more a 'latest' Xbox style console than a new PS1 IMO.

Maybe I'm just a Japanese fetishist though.

Xbox had its share of fun Japanese games too:

JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantom Dust, Shenmue II, Otogi 1 and 2, Ninja Gaiden and NGBlack, DOA 3 Ultimate and Xtrreme, Gunvalkyrie, Metal Slug 3-5, SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Silent Scope Complete, Crazy Taxi 3, Sega Soccer Slam, Dynasty Warriors 3-5, Fatal Frame 1 and 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2, Phantom Crash, Samurai Showdown V, Sega GT 2002, Sega GT Online, Soul Calibur II, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, Sonic Riders, Steel Battalion, Steel Battalion: Line of Contact, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Super Monkey Ball Deluxe... etc.

That's a pretty worthy library of Japanese games. Forget the fact that you could also play Halo, Morrowind, Kotor, Jade Empire, PGR and other fantastic western console exclusives on it.

I'd venture to say that it has a library that is equal in quality to GCN, DC, and in many ways, even the mighty PS2.

Khaz

Yeah, the Xbox is still a pretty well kept secret, even among people who are into old school games. Everyone knows Ninja Gaiden, but then you dig a little deeper and find stuff like Outrun 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi 1 + 2, JSRF, Phantom Dust, Spikeout, Gunvalkyrie, Genma Onimusha, etc. There's some really, really excellent stuff on there.

The Xbox had a lot of crappy PC ports, and that's still what the IGNs and Gamespots will relay as the highlight of the system... but anyone who knows better will tell you that those weren't what made the system good.

Dat SEGA seal of quality

TeaJay

My life in gaming is pretty much the only youtube retro channel I watch. It's informative and has high production values (sound, setting, filmography).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Xbox remains my favourite console of the 128 bit gen. There's an absurd of gaming jewels for a console that built its fame on PC ports and mediocre PS2 conversions, but even more bewildering, quite a few Japanese ones.

From the back of my head:

• Halo (I'll just ignore the rest of the series)
  • Project Gotham series
  • Kung Fu Chaos (AMAZING fun with friends)
  • Chronicles of Riddick (ZOMG)
  • Oddworld
  • Phantom Dust
  • The Suffering (tons of fun)
  • Conker: Live and Reloaded
  • Dead or Alive 3
  • Tekki/Steel Batallion (remains the craziest game I've ever seen)
  • Crimson Skies
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta (ZOMG)
  • Psychonauts
  • Ninja Gaiden (ZOMG)
  • Call Of Cthulu: Dark Corners Of The Earth
  • Jet Set Radio Future
  • Breakdown (seriously, it wasn't that amazing, but it's damn worth looking for it)
  • Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (some of the most FUN I've ever had with a console)
  • Otogi 1 and 2 (PURE. CLASS.)
  • Fatal Frame 1 and 2
  • OUTRUN 2, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Spikeout (one of Xbox's secret jewels)
  • Gunvalkyrie (turns into solid gold once you master the idiotic controls)
  • Hunter: The Reckoning (best Gauntlet clone in ages -ignore the awful sequel)
  • METAL. WOLF. CHAOS. Nuff said.

And that's just from the top of my head. That console had so much to offer. At times it felt like the Dreamcast 2 that never was (and then some).

Galdelico

Speaking of the original XBOX - I own a crystal PAL system - I had the chance to try a couple of different video connections, with my recently acquired Trinitron KV21FX30: RGB scart and S-Video, both official/Microsoft-branded.
What I noticed is - unlike every other retro console I own, from the Mega Drive to the PlayStation 2, which dramatically gains in IQ, when connected through RGB scart - the XBOX looks noticeably better/sharper in S-Video (I even dare to say that the picture doesn't look particularly crisp to begin with, in RGB, which is quite surprising to me).

gelf

Writing off the Xbox as a PC port box really irritates me. I actually prefer its Japanese lineup to that of the Gamecube.

In hindsight those devs probably should have made thier games for another system though considering how forgotten and under appreciated those games are now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Writing off the Xbox as a PC port box really irritates me. I actually prefer its Japanese lineup to that of the Gamecube.

In hindsight those devs probably should have made thier games for another system though considering how forgotten and under appreciated those games are now.

The odd thing is that the Xbox retained significant Japanese support even when it was clear that it had no chances in the local market.

Some other great to amazing Xbox games:
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer (easily one of the best brawlers of its generation, if not ever)
  • Deathrow
  • Kingdom Under Fire

Also, I still have my review copies of Tao Feng, Blinx and Kakuto Chojin. lel

D.Lo

My point wasn't that it was bad, but that because of the way it was made and marketed and its premier titles, and the fact that paradigm has continued as the dominant one, it doesn't feel retro.

I openly dislike the politics behind it, it's pretty bullshit that a company can literally buy 100% of their marketshare (MS lost more money on it than Sega had ever seen in their entire existence: ~$170 net lost for every single console 'sold'). Many of the classics (pretty much 100% of Japan-centric games) on it were literally bought and paid for by MS with no expectation of return, and sometimes only so they were not on other platforms.

That is however separate from the games themselves.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I openly dislike the politics behind it, it's pretty bullshit that a company can literally buy 100% of their marketshare (MS lost more money on it than Sega had ever seen in their entire existence: ~$170 net lost for every single console 'sold'). Many of the classics (pretty much 100% of Japan-centric games) on it were literally bought and paid for by MS with no expectation of return, and sometimes only so they were not on other platforms.

Its called capitalism and yeah, its bullshit.

Balb

My point wasn't that it was bad, but that because of the way it was made and marketed and its premier titles, and the fact that paradigm has continued as the dominant one, it doesn't feel retro.

One of the good things about retro gaming is that you can separate the politics of a console and its library. At the time, the Saturn (and even something like the GameCube) was a frustrating console to own for various reasons and the vibes were generally negative, but in hindsight it has a lot of good exclusives that people regret missing out on. I feel like the Xbox needs the same kind of second look from the retro community.

I know the controller (both models) sucks, but that's what adapters are for.

I'm thinking it would be nice to consolidate all console AV information in here in a neat list.

Example:

[Console Name] - Region X - Revision Y
Color bit rate/maximum colors: XX bits / XXX colors
Output Port A
Video output: Component YPbPr, 15 pin D-sub RGB, Composite; XX Hz
Audio: 2 Chanel Stereo; XX.xx kHz
Output Port B
Video Output: UHF
Audio: Mono

IDK, maybe I'm fucking crazy.

Yeah, this would be really helpful.

Peltz

I like you D.Lo, genuinely, I do. But this comes off as totally biased.

Xbox was state of the art for a very great price and Microsoft bankrolled a lot of classics. How you are twisting that into a negative feels pretty wrong. All of the console manufacturers have tried to assert their dominance in their own way. Microsoft really is no different, especially during that generation.

I mean, just look at Nintendo's tactics during the NES era. It's just healthy competitive business and it's generally good for us consumers.

Mega

Banned
If we're going down this path, Nintendo was the absolute worst and MS pales in comparison. They were very anti-competition and trying to monopolize the US market. Their treatment of third party devs/publishers was outright bullying, and extortion with the cart racket. They're directly to blame for the failure of SMS in NA, threatening retailers to withhold hardware and games if they carried SMS product. Nintendo forced exclusivity so that PC Engine/TG16 did not get many of the bigger profile 8/16-bit games. Nothing compares to Nintendo's nasty behavior when they were on top.

Speaking of the original XBOX - I own a crystal PAL system - I had the chance to try a couple of different video connections, with my recently acquired Trinitron KV21FX30: RGB scart and S-Video, both official/Microsoft-branded.
What I noticed is - unlike every other retro console I own, from the Mega Drive to the PlayStation 2, which dramatically gains in IQ, when connected through RGB scart - the XBOX looks noticeably better/sharper in S-Video (I even dare to say that the picture doesn't look particularly crisp to begin with, in RGB, which is quite surprising to me).

What RGB cable are you using? My official cable has an external PCB which I can only assume is affecting the image somehow - maybe some filtering/boosting etc. A crystal model is almost certainly v1.6 too - I've got a v1.0. Basically, I feel the RGB looks class on my 20M4E!

Being a fan of something seems incompatible with economics. Funny how when looking at something boring like sugar importation tariffs it's easy to see that companies always do what's in their best interest, but with art and stuff like that some companies are seen as "good" and some as "bad."

missile

I don't know the technical reasons behind it, but I looked around and found some possibly enlightening posts on the Atari Age forums.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243240-why-is-the-composite-video-so-crappy-on-sega-consoles/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/70376-composite-output-comparisons-modelrevision/

What does that last one mean? The RF signal is pulled from the composite chip which causes a decrease in overall quality?

Someone in one of those threads noted that running a Genesis emulator on another device and then using a composite converter box gave much better quality than the default Genesis composite. I guess that verifies Sega sourced garbage chips but doesn't quite explain why they are so bad.
Thx for the information! I'm going to dive into it and will report back.
Stay tuned! xD

elmalloc

This is awesome. It looks like this HDMI and the RGB mods it refers to are now compatible with any N64 from any region, is this correct? I've always wanted to pick up a nice colourful model.

Primarily interested in a NTSC U model though.

Yes, AFAIK the Ultra HDMI N64 works with all models (as opposed to the RGB mod which only works with early NS serial numbers). I sent my Jungle Green funtastic in, but I also have a Japanese NTSC-J Gold that's a little more beat up that I didn't. You could get an NTSC-J pikachu model (orange/yellow or blue/yellow) and send them in for HDMI mod.

s-l1600.jpg

n64-nintendo-64-pikachu-pokemon-orange-76615d2272448d32f4359e0b0feef058.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It's fairly easy to make them play US games from what I hear, they just break the tabs inside the console (the cartridge slot is too small on Japanese consoles).

I like the lighter blue pikachu look from Japan (compared to the USA version which is darker and a lot more expensive). You can even get a Daiae Hawks N64 console from Japan for relatively cheap. Most Japan consoles are $50-100 + shipping.

s-l1600.jpg

The Ultra HDMI N64 mod is roughly $160-250 depending on which modder you go with. The modder I went with stil has a couple more in stock and is highly regarded from RGB Life, in case anyone wants to send their N64 in, starts at $190 for him (on his website).

Common or not, I do believe Jungle Green to be an awesome color! It doesn't go well with my Gold N64 controllers, but I'll have to succumb to that since I bought new N64 controllers in gold and the gold n64 is just a little too shabby to want to mod and trust it will last a while.
s-l1600.jpg

Chinner

Banned
Need help.

I'm looking for a crt tv to play consoles from mega drive/snes up until the ps2. I need it to be around 20 inch or so because it's going into a small room. The problem is that the supply of those types of tvs are limited and I'm struggling to find anything local.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there a new alternative possibly or should I just remain patient?

I'm in uk to clarify.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Need help.

I'm looking for a crt tv to play consoles from mega drive/snes up until the ps2. I need it to be around 20 inch or so because it's going into a small room. The problem is that the supply of those types of tvs are limited and I'm struggling to find anything local.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there a new alternative possibly or should I just remain patient?

Look for thrift stores and close your fingers so most of those are not even stocking CRTs anymore. There are heaps of second hand ads over the interwebs, however.

I'm in a similar position, but I'm actually looking for a *mint* 24 to 30 inch high quality 4:3 TV because of reasons. It has become quite the enterprise. I would do unspeakable things for a Grundig Xentia M72-490 Dolby.

televator

Need help.

Have you looked at craigslist? I can still find listings for CRTs in my area. May be different for you. You can also try second hand thrift stores.

If all else fails, you might even try your luck with electronic recycling centers. That's where Goodwill sends the vast majority of their TVs. Call them up and see if they may be inclined to sell you an intact set.

Galdelico

What RGB cable are you using? My official cable has an external PCB which I can only assume is affecting the image somehow - maybe some filtering/boosting etc. A crystal model is almost certainly v1.6 too - I've got a v1.0. Basically, I feel the RGB looks class on my 20M4E!
Please keep in mind I'm not using a PVM/BVM, just a decent 21" CRT Trinitron, so I don't even expect to reach a similar level of quality with my setup. That said, I'm using this RGB cable - which is first party, as in Microsoft branded - any my Crystal XBOX is the 2nd anniversary model, which came bundled with two controllers S (I'll check the box and the unit itself later, as soon as I get back home). On the other hand, this is the S-Video cable which gives me a noticeably sharper picture.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Also try ebay and limit the search to your zip code and local pickup.

I just did that out of curiosity, it's been ages since I checked eBay.

It's a barren wasteland of nothing these days, at least over here. Wallapop has utterly destroyed it. It was bad when I left, but it's absolutely dead now. Wow.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I have an OG black unit plus modded "dev kit", both of them with duke controllers as God intended. #blessed

I kind of walks along the fine line that separates retro from modern consoles, but it has too many amazing games not to keep it around. And the homebrew scene was something else.

Peagles

My hands are too little for the Duke, lol.

I've got a plain black (but I need to fix it cos the disc drive has a mind of its own) and a transparent green (not Halo branded) which I use regularly. Was lucky enough to win a 500GB HDD at auction and they sent me a 750GB instead so I'm in the process of putting all my games to the HDD as well as some cool homebrew stuff! Picking up the newer style games is cool but my focus is on the lesser known and "strange" games that nobody seems to remember. It's a cheap system to collect for, that's for sure!

I keep my current OG Xbox unmodded, as nice as playing games off of a HDD is! Got it for £20, with 4 games, two S pads and official RGB cable last year. Bargain including postage.

Strange thing though, it has a Microsoft asset tag but appears to be a regular retail console. Spoopy

TGMIII

Is there a "best" model to go with if you're planning on RGB modding a NES?

Love the look of the original famicom but the famicom-AV is arguably the best system to pick up in terms of latest manufacturing date, right?

Chinner

Banned
Is ther any general tips for looking at crt tvs? Anything in particular regarding era, build or brand that would give any indication of quality?

Love the look of the original famicom but the famicom-AV is arguably the best system to pick up in terms of latest manufacturing date, right?

AV Famicom has a cleaner composite signal - meaning it should theoretically look cleaner via RGB.

Late to the party here, but Gen 6 (DC/PS2/GC/Xbox) is absolutely retro at this point. Reason it doesn't feel like it is because it came out before Gen 7, the generation we only just left, so it feels more recent than it actually is. Gen 7 was a lengthy anomaly.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I just picked up a AV-modded Famicom which should be arriving tomorrow or Friday. I'll likely use it for a few years and build up a little library of Famicom carts and then go all in on a RGB-modded AV Famicom in a few years. I'm hoping the price on them drop by then...the ones I was looking at on eBay are in the ballpark of $400.

I just picked up a AV-modded Famicom which should be arriving tomorrow or Friday. I'll likely use it for a few years and build up a little library of Famicom carts and then go all in on a RGB-modded AV Famicom in a few years. I'm hoping the price on them drop by then...the ones I was looking at on eBay are in the ballpark of $400.
RGB mod's not going to get any cheaper and Japan's retro stuff is starting to climb rapidly in price so... outlook not so good.

elmalloc

If you have HDMi capability, go for the Hi-Def NES instead. It usually runs for $350 and it's PQ is better than RGB NES, but it's useless if you have a CRT.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If you have HDMi capability, go for the Hi-Def NES instead. It usually runs for $350 and it's PQ is better than RGB NES, but it's useless if you have a CRT.

This one is $440 but it outputs everything from RGB to composite on the AV out, which is cool.

There's another one for about $100 less but it's RGB-only, not something I would want personally.

Edit: That first one doesn't include controllers or any cables. Yikes. Fuck that, I'm okay with composite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom