• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

Thank you. One last question, probably for people who own the Startech... I'm hearing about how difficult it is to set up correctly with the right software and drivers. Is this true or is it not a big issue?

TheWraith

My RGB21 - Mini-Din adapter that came with my Framemeister appears to have broken :(
Anyone have any suggestions as to where I could get another?

Just email Solaris Japan they have them, although they're not listed on their site. Just ordered 3 myself, quite difficult to find indeed!

Peltz

Guys, Super Monkey Ball is so amazing! Can't believe it took this long for me to play it. You can tell this is the same team that made F-Zero GX. It has that same level of polish, clean visuals, and addictive gameplay.

Amazing. (Playing the GCN version by the way).

It has quickly become one of my favorites.

Peltz

^SMB rocks, and that's not up for Nagoshiation
giphy.gif

Timu

Thanks for this. What say if, hypothetically, I'll only use HDMI... Would you still recommend the Startech over Elgato?
Yes.

Thank you. One last question, probably for people who own the Startech... I'm hearing about how difficult it is to set up correctly with the right software and drivers. Is this true or is it not a big issue?
It's not really a big issue as you can choose either Startech or Micomsoft drivers.

entremet

Guys, Super Monkey Ball is so amazing! Can't believe it took this long for me to play it. You can tell this is the same team that made F-Zero GX. It has that same level of polish, clean visuals, and addictive gameplay.

Amazing. (Playing the GCN version by the way).

It has quickly become one of my favorites.
I got it at launch. Incredible game and GameCube version is the best because of the octo gate.

Monkey Target is a GOAT party game.

I got it at launch. Incredible game and GameCube version is the best because of the octo gate.

Monkey Target is a GOAT party game.

SMB2 is still in my list of top ten games ever.

Ideally Deluxe on PS2 / Xbox would've been the GOAT, but you're right - the Octo Gate on the Gamecube controller is the best.

So, I play it on an emulator with a Game Cube controller :D

Also just popping in to say my two Sony 14" PVMs have been perfect for the Smash tournaments we run. Thanks to all who recommended them.

dubc35

There was some AV switch talk a couple pages back, I am looking to buy one. Any recommendations?

I would be using it for audio only for NES, SNES, and Genesis into my receiver for 2.1 sound.

I see a few on Amazon in the $8-10usd range, are those any good or a 'get what you pay for kind of deal?' Monoprice has a ton of switches but they all seem to be HDMI, DVI, VGA, USB, etc; no plain old RCA plug switches.

Madao

I have an analogue NT with the HDMI mod and I am still thinking about getting a AV Famicom for RGB stuff. Sometimes I really want to play on my CRT and that's a bummer for my NT.

Anyway, where did you get the mod and how much did you pay? I tried contacting the makers of the kit but they wouldn't sell it to me (even though I am more than capable of doing the mod myself) due tot he fact I wasn't associated with any retro store or mod shop online.

the HDMI N64 preserves the original output plug intact so you can set up 2 different displays with the same console. it's also possible to have the RGB mod on the same machine with the HDMI mod for those that want to go that far.

i got mine from Badassconsoles.com. it was like $164 for the materials + installation (except shipping. that's separate). from the site's QA, i got that the maker of the HDMI boards doesn't sell them because he wants to avoid people butchering up an installation and only sells to distributors. that's probably not all the story but it's what's been said officially.

i have 2 videos out. more later.

F-Zero X Jack Cup
F-Zero X Queen Cup

i played in direct mode since i wanted to get a feel of the response time. it felt just as good as i remember when playing through the FM. it's probably better since i was rusty as hell.

i think i'll record some Mario 64, Zelda OoT and MM and Star Fox 64 next. i'll also put the other cups of FZX.

No sweat! Also much easier to change consoles by just having to unplug the din cable, instead of messing around with the disconnecting and connecting the scart cables!

Solaris have emailed me multiple times in the last 24 hours (less than that!) and are sending me some out.

Thanks a lot for this - a real weight off my mind!

I need to buy a new screen to use with a Framemeister... should I get a TV or a monitor? The latter seem to have better picture quality and way lower response time. I need one which is around 24-27" in size.

My retro consoles are PC Engine (RGB), Super Famicom, Megadrive, Neo Geo AES and MVS. One advantage that comes to me regarding a monitor is that I could get one with a pivot, which makes it easy to play vertical shooters in original format.

This one looks good:

https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Monitors/VN279QLB/overview/

Vortex566

I need some help. I am using an upscaler connected to a Gamecube using scart and to a HDMI monitor. I have an option to change the mode on the upscaler, but not sure what I need to set it to? I can change the resolution outputted I think, but have no idea what setting would be best for the Gamecube.

If I've made no sense I apologise in advance.

entremet

So my Wii isn't reading discs :(

I hate disc based systems. Such a pain.

Both Gamecube and Wii games. Bummer. I hope it's easily fixable since I have tons of VC games. I'm afraid of sending to Nintendo and getting a new one without my games.

Peltz

No sweat! Also much easier to change consoles by just having to unplug the din cable, instead of messing around with the disconnecting and connecting the scart cables!
I wouldn't do that. The Framemeister is made with extremely cheap plastic. It is in danger of breaking every time you change the din cable.

Peltz

I need some help. I am using an upscaler connected to a Gamecube using scart and to a HDMI monitor. I have an option to change the mode on the upscaler, but not sure what I need to set it to? I can change the resolution outputted I think, but have no idea what setting would be best for the Gamecube.

If I've made no sense I apologise in advance.
What upscaler are you using and what region of GameCube? Not all gamecubes are compatible with SCART.

psylah

Retronauts went off today on the hunt for the best-quality image. Not too in-depth, though.

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=1333

RETRONAUTS EPISODE 62: HIGH FIDELITY CLASSIC GAMING

What’s the best way to play old games in these modern times? Jeremy Parish, Frank Cifaldi, and Christian Nutt plummet down the CRT-hunting, 240p-upscaling, console-recapping, and RGB-modding rabbit hole.

psylah

Can I get a check on these monitors?

00u0u_aLSo971EV3k_600x450.jpg
00303_kmtH6M7vBPk_600x450.jpg

PVM14M2U RGB, Comp, SV, CV inputs $79
PVM14N6U Analog RGB only, SV, CV inputs $49
PVM1340 Analog RGB only, SV, CV inputs $49

Features:
HR Trinitron CRT provides a high resolution of 800 TV lines
SMPTE-C standard phosphors
Beam current feedback circuit for stable color reproduction
Composite, Y/C, RGB and component (Y/R-Y/B-Y) inputs
Optional component serial digital interface kits available
Accepts external sync
Auto setup for chroma and phase
Power consumption: 90W
Frequency response: Line (composite) 10MHz ± 3dB (Y signal only)RGB 10MHz ± 3dBY/C 10MHz ± 3dB (Y signal only)
Normal scan: 7%
Underscan: 5%
Convergence: Center 0.4mmCorner 0.5mm
Synchronization: AFC time constant 1.0mS
Operating temperature: 0-35°C (32-95°F)
Storage temperature: -10-40°C (14-104°F)
Humidity: 0-90%
Color Temperature: 6500K, 9300K, USER (3200K-10000K)
Cabinet: Light gray
Resolution: 800 TV lines
Dimensions W x H x D: 346mm (13.62")W x 340mm (13.39")H x 430.5mm (16.95")D
Weight: 16.7kg (36lbs 13oz)
CRT size: 14" (13" viewable area, measured diagonally)
AG pitch: .25mm
Phosphor type: SMPTE C
Aperture correction: 0~+6dB
Inputs/Outputs:
IN OUTComposite 2 2
Y/C 1 1
Analog RGB/ 1 1
Component 1 1
Ext. Sync for RGB 1 1
Remote 1 -
Audio out: 0.8W monaural (-5dBs, high impedance)
AC input: 100-240V (UL listed for 120V, only)50/60Hz
Color standards: NTSC, NTSC4.43, PAL, and SECAM
Rack Unit height: 8 RU

If I plan on using SCART, is the $80 14 inch one any better than the $49 one for doing that?

Mega

Banned
^Edit: meant the recent MLiG video, not Retronauts.
From a presentation standpoint I can't get over their voices. Drives me up a wall. The main guys talks like he thinks the audience is dumb or like someone slowed his voice down to 0.8x speed. The second guy has this irritating valley girl uptalk. I'll watch it anyway but damn guys, work on how you present yourselves.

Can I get a check on these monitors?

If I plan on using SCART, is the $80 14 inch one any better than the $49 one for doing that?

It has component which is a big feature (GC, Wii, PS2). That's the one to get.

Component is easier to plug into the monitor than Scart cables (RCA-BNC adapters). Also plugs into Scart switches with a cheap RCA-Scart adapter.

It has component which is a big feature (GC, Wii, PS2). That's the one to get.

Component is easier to plug into the monitor than Scart cables (RCA-BNC adapters). Also plugs into Scart switches with a cheap RCA-Scart adapter.

240p Component from a PSP playing PS1 games is AMAZING and dirt cheap (for the PSP and the cable).

Retronauts is great. They aren't professional broadcasters. Maybe I am just more familiar after being a listener for years but I don't get any complaints about presentation or voices. That seems really superficial to me. It's like any other podcast full of gamers.

Just now getting to MLiG's NGC video. It's a bit odd watching them now that I've dug through shmups' hardware forum myself, so I recognize their sources and such lol.Overall, it's a good video, though. Sums up everything very nicely.

One thing, though, any of you smash players know anything about NGC/Wii differences? They mention explicitly they don't know of any instance of 'quirks' in the Wii BC, but I have heard god-knows-how-many-times that Smash on a wii has some weird lag or something. Can anyone back that? Is it superstition?

D.Lo

^From a presentation standpoint I can't get over their voices. Drives me up a wall. The main guys talks like he thinks the audience is dumb or like someone slowed his voice down to 0.8x speed. The second guy has this irritating valley girl uptalk. I'll watch it anyway but damn guys, work on how you present yourselves.
I think you're thinking of the My Life in Gaming guys?

Timu

I love how MLiG talks about Nintendon't in that Gamecube video, it's pretty much the main way I play Gamecube games now.

televator

Nah, those podcast dudes are grating, I agree. One of the MLiG guys has as a high pitched annoying voice, but they aren't constantly talking over one another with annoying cadence.

Edit: Oh yeah, he really could have meant MLiG. Still, I stand by my words.

That makes more sense. Still, cut them some slack. Again, these are just geeks like us. They aren't professional broadcasters. And I can't really believe someone's asking for more polish from the MLiG guys. Do they have any idea what it takes to produce videos of the quality they put out?

That makes more sense. Still, cut them some slack. Again, these are just geeks like us. They aren't professional broadcasters. And I can't really believe someone's asking for more polish from the MLiG guys. Do they have any idea what it takes to produce videos of the quality they put out?
Their videos have been getting consistently better too. ThIs is probably their best yet, but their N64 and PS1 videos were a big step up from their previous videos.

You all will have to forgive me, but I just get really irritated with people who bitch about personal affectations when it comes to podcasts and videos. It's a trigger for me. So I'm almost always going to call it out as shitposting.

I've been on the other end of creative endeavors and it's hard enough without dumb criticisms like this. These are just passionate geeks like all of us. Let's keep the discussion to the content (criticism of which is totally fair game). That is what makes GAF's retro threads so great in the first place.

nateify

One thing, though, any of you smash players know anything about NGC/Wii differences? They mention explicitly they don't know of any instance of 'quirks' in the Wii BC, but I have heard god-knows-how-many-times that Smash on a wii has some weird lag or something. Can anyone back that? Is it superstition?

I've done some research on Super Smash Bros. Melee specifically and I can assure you the Wii simply cannot add input latency, the hardware right down to the polling of the controller is essentially the same. What you may have heard about is the latency added to the VC version of Smash N64, which is due to frame skipping in the emulation.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
You all will have to forgive me, but I just get really irritated with people who bitch about personal affectations when it comes to podcasts and videos. It's a trigger for me. So I'm almost always going to call it out as shitposting.

But how will people know you're a true fan unless you insult and belittle anyone who has the audacity to openly talk about the interests they share in common with you?

I've done some research on Super Smash Bros. Melee specifically and I can assure you the Wii simply cannot add input latency, the hardware right down to the polling of the controller is essentially the same. What you may have heard about is the latency added to the VC version of Smash N64, which is due to frame skipping in the emulation.

Nah, definitely was in the context of Melee. I would be not-at-all surprised if it was a superstition, but I also don't feel equipped to describe it accurately, as I'm not super involved with smash, and don't know the little things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom