• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega

Banned
dat shipping doe

I talked to the seller and he has combined shipping rates through his site. I got three switches and it came out to about $112 (instead of $152 through ebay). I used PayPal so if this is some fraud BS, I should be covered.

khaz, I don't mind the lack of auto switching for half the price. I'm already used to dialing in everything on my Extron. I'm mainly getting these as a backup anyway.

ToD_

Well, this is probably even better. The Bandridge 5 input scart switch for $22. Think I'm in for a couple.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandridge-5-Way-Scart-Selector-SVB7725-/252350062378

There are also a bunch of automatic Bandridge switches on eBay. They are a tad pricier, but the luxury of not having to press a button every time you change console is worth it imo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bandrid...497238?hash=item35ff0fe056:g:XZIAAOSwzgRW1fAC
Shipping from Europe may be expensive though.

Does the automatic switching work well? I will be on vacation in the Netherlands (where both sellers reside) next month, so I may be able to avoid the high cost of shipping.

Khaz

Does the automatic switching work well? I will be on vacation in the Netherlands (where both sellers reside) next month, so I may be able to avoid the high cost of shipping.

This is what I've been using for the past few years and it hasn't failed me. The Scart input 5 can also act as an output to record stuff, and some people have noticed that as such it can send Vcc to the console, making any LED permanently ON. it doesn't damage the console though, and can easily be modded if that bothers you. I just have a non-LED console on it.

I think one piece of information lacking in the thread, relative to other points, is what HDTVs people use/recommend in tandem with the XRGB Mini. I currently use my old Sony Wega 720p LCD projection TV, which I know must be far from ideal. The TV has treated me well and has a great set of speakers, but I have been looking to upgrade to something full 1080p (preferably plasma) that can be wall mounted. The problem is that there are almost no resources of people discussing their experiences with different types (LCD vs. plasma), brands or models of TVs for displaying upscaled retro content.

Personally my goal is to find a late-model plasma with low use that someone is selling to upgrade to 4k, and will ride that out as long as I can for current gen (PS4) and upscaler use. I'm not interested in 4k and don't even own anything that puts out more than 1080p content. Does anyone else have an interest in this or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If you do have to go with a newer set, check out rtings.com they do lag tests on all the models they test.

Personally I went with a Samsung set that hits only about 25/26 ms of lag.

Peagles

I think one piece of information lacking in the thread, relative to other points, is what HDTVs people use/recommend in tandem with the XRGB Mini. I currently use my old Sony Wega 720p LCD projection TV, which I know must be far from ideal. The TV has treated me well and has a great set of speakers, but I have been looking to upgrade to something full 1080p (preferably plasma) that can be wall mounted. The problem is that there are almost no resources of people discussing their experiences with different types (LCD vs. plasma), brands or models of TVs for displaying upscaled retro content.

Personally my goal is to find a late-model plasma with low use that someone is selling to upgrade to 4k, and will ride that out as long as I can for current gen (PS4) and upscaler use. I'm not interested in 4k and don't even own anything that puts out more than 1080p content. Does anyone else have an interest in this or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Is choosing the best TV for a FM somehow distinct from choosing a good 1080p TV in general for gaming? If it is, then yeah that'd be good discussion to have.

Personally we just picked the best TV we could get for 1080p for gaming and I'm happy using that with my FM, but I might be missing something.

D.Lo

Is choosing the best TV for a FM somehow distinct from choosing a good 1080p TV in general for gaming? If it is, then yeah that'd be good discussion to have.

Personally we just picked the best TV we could get for 1080p for gaming and I'm happy using that with my FM, but I might be missing something.
I don't think they would be distinct, you want the exact same things from both (good blacks, low lag etc).

One exception - UHD is 3840x2160 and can integer multiply 720p vertically. 720p sources should in scale more evenly on a UHD screen. So using the FM in 720p for the nicest scanline effects, or running 720p Wii U games, should (all else equal) look best on a 4K.

Setting up my SFC on my Mini. My unit isn't super sharp, so I've been trying out sharpness settings, and it's actually amazing how well sharpness works on the mini. Once you go over 2 it gets dumb, but at 1 or 2 it's pretty amazing what it can clear up.

Arzehn

Regarding TVL (lines of color) is higher always better? What is the visible difference between a PVM with 350 TVL and 600 TVL? Does it effect scanline width for example?

Should I be looking for 500 and above?

Regarding TVL (lines of color) is higher always better? What is the visible difference between a PVM with 350 TVL and 600 TVL? Does it effect scanline width for example?

Should I be looking for 500 and above?

Generally, TVL is directly proportional to the 'clarity' of the picture. Thus, higher TVL is generally better in terms of getting a very crisp image (usually with strong scanlines at 240p). However, many people don't prefer this look and like a slightly softer picture due to nostalgia or preference.

Setting up my SFC on my Mini. My unit isn't super sharp, so I've been trying out sharpness settings, and it's actually amazing how well sharpness works on the mini. Once you go over 2 it gets dumb, but at 1 or 2 it's pretty amazing what it can clear up.
Anything after 0 looks bad to me. Take a close look and you can see greys turning white, super narrow/wide pixels (especially with non-square PAR sources), and other problems.

I'd rather it just be a little soft.

Anything after 0 looks bad to me. Take a close look and you can see greys turning white, super narrpw/wide pixels (especially with non-square PAR sources), and other problems.

On every other 240p source I've tried, I agree with you.

On this SFC, it is the perfect level of sharpness. And with scanlines, some of the artifacts are far less obvious.

TheWraith

Anything after 0 looks bad to me. Take a close look and you can see greys turning white, super narrow/wide pixels (especially with non-square PAR sources), and other problems.

Also depends on wich TV you use, on my Samsung sharpness needed to be 0, on my new Sony Bravia sharpness at 1 is way better for my SFC.

Arzehn

Generally, TVL is directly proportional to the 'clarity' of the picture. Thus, higher TVL is generally better in terms of getting a very crisp image (usually with strong scanlines at 240p). However, many people don't prefer this look and like a slightly softer picture due to nostalgia or preference.

Thanks, I guess I'll pick the set with higher TVL if i see similar priced products.

Thanks, I guess I'll pick the set with higher TVL if i see similar priced products.

Generally, I think everyone hear can agree that anything at 600 TVL and higher is very good. Higher than that is luxury and might not be worth a premium unless you're all about getting the best fucking CRT the world has ever known, and don't care about the price.

Madao

I don't think they would be distinct, you want the exact same things from both (good blacks, low lag etc).

One exception - UHD is 3840x2160 and can integer multiply 720p vertically. 720p sources should in scale more evenly on a UHD screen. So using the FM in 720p for the nicest scanline effects, or running 720p Wii U games, should (all else equal) look best on a 4K.

that's pretty much why my next planned upgrade is a 4K TV or monitor but they're very expensive so i'm waiting for price drops and saving up money.
also, i want the TVs to hit sub 1 frame of lag (under 17 ms).

Peltz

Generally, I think everyone hear can agree that anything at 600 TVL and higher is very good. Higher than that is luxury and might not be worth a premium unless you're all about getting the best fucking CRT the world has ever known, and don't care about the price.
600 lines is more than enough in my opinion.

Generally, TVL is directly proportional to the 'clarity' of the picture. Thus, higher TVL is generally better in terms of getting a very crisp image (usually with strong scanlines at 240p).

Actually, TVL affects the amount of detail in the scan line as the electronic beam traces from left to right. It doesn't affect the clarity of the spacing between the lines from top to bottom. Especially not with an aperture grille design as found in PVMs.

Actually, TVL affects the amount of detail in the scan line as the electronic beam traces from left to right. It doesn't affect the clarity of the spacing between the lines from top to bottom. Especially not with an aperture grille design as found in PVMs.

I'm not sure where you're disagreeing with me lol. Maybe the scanline comment? Every high TVL monitor I've seen has really massive, very distinct scanlines.

I'm not sure where you're disagreeing with me lol. Maybe the scanline comment? Every high TVL monitor I've seen has really massive, very distinct scanlines.

High TVL on a PVM means more vertical slots in the aperture grille. That doesn't make (horizontal) scanlines more distinct.

Khaz

What plug converter would you need to get that to work in the US?

I suppose your regular EU-to-US power converter would work just fine. Or you could buy a separate adapter: It's a 12V, 0.5A, centre +ve, the jack is of the same size as a Master System and Megadrive1 adapter.

High TVL on a PVM means more vertical slots in the aperture grille. That doesn't make (horizontal) scanlines more distinct.

Yes, I agree with you.

It's also true that every high TVL monitor I've ever seen has big, fat, scanlines.

I'm not saying this is necessarily because of the TVL, I'm saying that these two things are correlated.

Do you have an instance of a high TVL monitor without thick scanlines?

I have had my framemeister uopened for over a month and missing a few cables.

This is probably a stupid questions but when buying a component cable for ps2-ps3 does price matter? I have bought flimsy cables that break apart easily from dealextreme (in the past) so not sure. Also looking into buying a scart cable for the SNES.

Does anyone know any other alternative places to buy the CSYNC EuroSCART to XRGB mini adapter (since it is sold out at the uk retro store)

Peltz

storafötter;201796001 said:
This is probably a stupid questions but when buying a component cable for ps2-ps3 does price matter? I have bought flimsy cables that break apart easily from dealextreme (in the past) so not sure.

Also looking into buying a scart cable for the SNES.

It matters. There are very poor quality PS2 component cables that make the picture look horrible. I'd try to find a used first party cable if you can. I managed to snag one for $20 about a year or two ago.

They're out there, but very rare. It took me a few weeks to find one, but it's worth it.

It's so good that I would have paid $40 for it (used).

It matters. There are very poor quality PS2 component cables that make the picture look horrible. I'd try to find a used first party cable if you can. I managed to snag one for $20 about a year or two ago.

They're out there, but very rare. It took me a few weeks to find one, but it's worth it.

It's so good that I would have paid $40 for it (used).

Yeah I was thinking how ebay is flooded with generic non-first party ones. Thanks for the clarification. Dont wanna make any bad mistakes on my first try.

televator

storafötter;201796001 said:
I have had my framemeister uopened for over a month and missing a few cables.

This is probably a stupid questions but when buying a component cable for ps2-ps3 does price matter? I have bought flimsy cables that break apart easily from dealextreme (in the past) so not sure. Also looking into buying a scart cable for the SNES.

Does anyone know any other alternative places to buy the CSYNC EuroSCART to XRGB mini adapter (since it is sold out at the uk retro store)

A little pricey, but new Sony brand quality, it plugs directly into a Framemeister, and easy to order.

SegaShack

Ok Extron friends. So I got a bunch of cheap audio cables as well as the phoenix block connectors. What is the best way to wire it. It seems to be really finicky for me. I have the color (red/white) going into power for its respective side and then ground going into ground. I can get it to work but it takes forever to position the cable just right. Is there any trick to using these?

What abut these, not official, but should be decent right? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017NVQ84/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I forgot to say I am in Europe so amazon shipping prices from the US will be ridiculous, but it says monster brand cables so I will have a look for those thanks!

The Play-Asia ones seem pretty tempting (despite orderning a D-terminal adapter for the Wii component). I appreciate these recommendations.

Mega

Banned
Ok Extron friends. So I got a bunch of cheap audio cables as well as the phoenix block connectors. What is the best way to wire it. It seems to be really finicky for me. I have the color (red/white) going into power for its respective side and then ground going into ground. I can get it to work but it takes forever to position the cable just right. Is there any trick to using these?

Hey I remember we talked about making Extron audio adapter cables. Are you using the link I gave you? If you do it right, they should work. They may look a little ramshackle and fall apart if you mishandle them or plug/unplug them a lot.

If you need help, read this page:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/883855-rgbhv-matrix-switcher-question-2.html

Use the PDF in post 41 and follow the advice on post 42. Audio input wiring, unbalanced input with 5 poles. Instead of the cables that go from left and right sleeves to ground, use 1K ohm resistors and you can use these adaptors as either input or output.

Madao

all this D-Terminal cable talk made me remember i got one for Wii but only used it for like a month since i ended up using the Wii2HDMI adapter more often.

and it's even more funny now since i went back to the old component cable plugged directly to the TV. man, i wish i knew that progressive wouldn't cause lag like interlaced on HDTVs earlier. i could have saved some money.

I've asked this before without much luck, but anyone got suggestions for audio? I'm ignorant as hell with this sort of thing, so let me try to lay this out.

I would like to route my PC audio, as well as typical red/white audio cables from my SFC and digital/optical (whatever it's called) from my ps2, all to a unit which I can output to my headphones and desk speakers.

Is there a box I can get for a reasonable price that can do all this without much fuckery?

Peltz

I've asked this before without much luck, but anyone got suggestions for audio? I'm ignorant as hell with this sort of thing, so let me try to lay this out.

I would like to route my PC audio, as well as typical red/white audio cables from my SFC and digital/optical (whatever it's called) from my ps2, all to a unit which I can output to my headphones and desk speakers.

Is there a box I can get for a reasonable price that can do all this without much fuckery?

What type of PC audio are we talking about?

You may need a receiver.

Khaz

I've been using this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-100Watt...ooth-Remote-Control-24V-Adapter-/111693150045
The remote is a bit cheap but I suppose you can change it for whatever universal remote you prefer.

This. High TVL does not directly CAUSE thicker scan lines, but I believe there is something tighter about the lines (less spread from phosphors?) that ends up making the black spaces more distinct. It's obviously true that the highest TVL monitors ALWAYS have the thickest scan lines, and vice versa for lower TVL monitors.

Yeah that is basically where I'm at, since I have a PS4 and also use my TV for Apple TV. My thing is that I don't want to pay a lot for a new TV, I want to find some rich person who hardly ever uses their TV and wants to upgrade just because they can to sell me their top of the line, little used ~5 year old plasma. It's not worth it to me to upgrade if I'm going to spend more than $500. My gaming is evenly split atm between PS4 and retro systems (mostly Dreamcast) through the FM.

This. High TVL does not directly CAUSE thicker scan lines, but I believe there is something tighter about the lines (less spread from phosphors?) that ends up making the black spaces more distinct. It's obviously true that the highest TVL monitors ALWAYS have the thickest scan lines, and vice versa for lower TVL monitors.

Well, I mean, in terms of pure resolution you're going to have more pronounced scanlines of course. Half of the image is black and when the image is finer, those lines will appear more pronounced. Combine a 800TVL display (like my 20M4E) with something like a 1CHIP SNES and the effect will be all the more apparent. My SHVC-CPU-01 is extremely sharp even so mind.

Mega

Banned
Wondering if anyone had some input on this local Sony PVM.
Its a PVM 1340. Cant find the TV Lines it has anywhere.

Can't find much info on it but it should be okay for all old consoles. My guess is 450 to 600 lines. I wouldn't worry about it nor use that as a reason not to buy it.

televator

You might be better off with a mini shelf CD system. I remember back in 2002, I had an Aiwa sound deck with most of what you are looking for.

I wish I still had it. It was a charming piece of tech.

Yes, I agree with you.

It's also true that every high TVL monitor I've ever seen has big, fat, scanlines.

I'm not saying this is necessarily because of the TVL, I'm saying that these two things are correlated.

Of course not. High TVL monitors are over-engineered, so of course they have super thin scanlines (the black space in between is just space); they have super tight focus, and it's the focus, not the TVL, that makes the scanlines so apparent.

You said it's the TVL that causes the scanlines to be so apparent, it's actually the focus that does that.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just clarifying for those who would want to understand.

You can actually adjust pots to defocus a PVM to the point that the scanlines blur together, but the TVL is a physical aspect (number of slots in the aperture grille).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom