• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaShack

Hey I remember we talked about making Extron audio adapter cables. Are you using the link I gave you? If you do it right, they should work. They may look a little ramshackle and fall apart if you mishandle them or plug/unplug them a lot.

Thank you. I have a 6 pole connectors that go +-G+-G. With the left three being left audio and right side being right audio. I am not using negative and am connecting the positive of each side to its positive and the ground to its ground. For some reason I can get left audio working perfectly but can not seem to get right audio to work no matter what (have tried different cables and connectors and get the same result). I did wire both the input and output the same. Should I be doing something differently?

It's pretty nice.

Ordered some more cables from retro_console_accessories - another SNES SCART cable to fit my old NES that's presently under baphomet's care, and a SCART-to-SCART cable for the Toro (though I honestly have no idea if my CRT will take it; it can't take 480p, so I hope you can output 480i over the SCART connector...).

Oh, and the gscartsw thing works pretty nice. Turns out a Genesis Model 1/Sega CD Model 2 DC adapter works great for it. Saturn makes a weird noise when turning on, though, may have to try another port with that.

a SCART-to-SCART cable for the Toro (though I honestly have no idea if my CRT will take it; it can't take 480p, so I hope you can output 480i over the SCART connector...).
Yeah you just have to switch it to the 240p/15khz option and it will boot to 480i for most games and optionally 240p for a handful of games.

That would depend on the model. If it has a menu button, press Degauss and Enter to go into the service menu to adjust geometry and screen size/position. A couple of PVMs have a slide out tray with pots, most older ones you have to open like ToD did. Keep in mind that what looks good for one game or console may not apply to the next game or console. It can vary a lot so adjust to a happy compromise for all your games.

Got into the service menu and got everything lined up! Thanks for the advice. Man, these monitors are cool!

Mega

Banned
Im curious about the 4K thing too. I'm assuming it will look better than 480p upscaled to 1080p?

Thank you. I have a 6 pole connectors that go +-G+-G. With the left three being left audio and right side being right audio. I am not using negative and am connecting the positive of each side to its positive and the ground to its ground. For some reason I can get left audio working perfectly but can not seem to get right audio to work no matter what (have tried different cables and connectors and get the same result). I did wire both the input and output the same. Should I be doing something differently?

Your Extron uses a 6 pole connector? Mine uses 5 (+-G+-) so I'm not really sure about the adapter wiring for your switch. I'm not sure I've seen one of those. You're not using one of the two blue ones on the bottom right?

captivescrewconnrep.jpg

thanks for the reply...is $200 a good/fair price?

In my opinion, for a 20" PVM in proper operating condition and with no burn-in, it is a good price for sure.

FYI a PSP with a component cable outputs 240p when playing PS1 classics. Perfect for field testing potential monitor purchases! Bring your own BNC/RCA connectors.

In my opinion, for a 20" PVM in proper operating condition and with no burn-in, it is a good price for sure.

FYI a PSP with a component cable outputs 240p when playing PS1 classics. Perfect for field testing potential monitor purchases! Bring your own BNC/RCA connectors.

That's awesome and helpful advice.

Valcrist0

Neo Member
I've been checking regularly and this is the first I've seen one come up. I'm heading over tonight to pick it up.

Let me know if its good enough to warrant the 6 hour round trip!

Small world, my J-Ville brethren. I've been scoping out excellent CRTs on craigslist for quite some time and I have come up dry.

Yeah man, its rough around here. I did come across someone selling a xrgb-mini with a RGB modded snes mini and some great games for $200, but I can't get a response out of them. The post is over a week old now so I'm sure its gone.

Madao

i got a JP Black Wii today. i remembered the talk about differing video quality between Wii consoles so i'll try to see if i can spot a difference between captures from both. i already put homebrew in it so i'll be using the 240p test suite.
i'll get around this on the weekend since i have to do some other things.

Hmm. Now I'm thinking having the 240p test suite in your pocket would be really great.

I wonder what would happen if I injected a NES emulator for PS1 into my PSP Go...

Just picked up the monitor. It's in great shape. I'll take some pictures once I get home with it.... Really nice guy that sold it to me. He says he has four more of them if you guys want to make the drive.

None of the PVMs have the BVM's operation time feature that shows the number of hours it's been on.

I should have known that. /shame

It makes sense when you think about it because in broadcast it's more important to keep equipment calibrated periodically.

IrishNinja

okay, this component/SCART thing is bought, warehouse is like minutes from my house but they won't let me pick it up, haha...so, should be here soon?

think i'm gonna try to setup this massive set this weekend, hoping the shelf can carry the weight...anyway if ya'll don't hear from me, this heavy-ass CRT was my end, and i have no ragrets

televator

Did some reading on new 4K display/Blu-ray standards. There's some great things and some... strange things.

They're moving away from long held standards/limitations. It doesn't make as much sense anymore to have to conform strictly to old standards that go as far back as black and white TV. UHDTVs will now support and properly display 32bit color. The old standard was 24 bit. Even 1080p blu-ray had this limitation. Film master has traditionally been 48bit, so the bump in color depth will bring home theater setups that much closer to the real thing. This will have the effect of far less color banding/false contouring in gradients of similar color (e.g. Scenes of the sky, dark shadowy areas). So that's great.

There's also support for high dynamic luminance range. More shadow detail, and more highlight detail... Bad news is, that because of the limitations of OLED and LED, you can't have both. OLED will take advantage of one standard that emphasizes black resolution while LED will use the other standard for highlights. So to get the best image from a 4K Bluray, you need both an OLED and an LED? Not sure if this also means that this is how blu rays will be hard coded. It's very strange and uses new terminology. I kinda suspect that the OLED standard will look better anyhow...

I've been out of town for a couple weeks and came home to this. Going to rewire tomorrow to clean it all up in there. If I get N64 rgb or hdmi I can get rid of composite, s-video cables.

1gvQG83.jpg

HGniMTO.jpg

I've been out of town for a couple weeks and came home to this. Going to rewire tomorrow to clean it all up in there. If I get N64 rgb or hdmi I can get rid of composite, s-video cables.

1gvQG83.jpg

HGniMTO.jpg

Oh shit, time to check if that is still waiting list only. Guess I need to make an account as well.

Wow! What is that beast?
Scart switch

yeah, that's actually a good number of slots - any signal degradation? also how much does that set you back?
It is $215. I haven't done any thorough tests. Mostly just booted up my consoles to see if they displayed. There shouldn't be although there might need to be some sync adjustments.

It has VGA out? And yes, N64 RGB is worth it for it's low price.
Yea, VGA out. Yeah, I noticed it wasn't very expensive I was kind of waiting on more word about the n64hdmi mod.

televator

So, IDK about everyone else here, but I think I'm gonna sit out this cycle of HDTV tech. I know 4K is gonna be hot for the coming years, but I just can't get behind OLED and LED. I'm hoping that mLED and/or Quantum Dot yields more favorable performance. IMO the current technologies have taken a step backwards from plasma in some respects. My rule is that if the next HDTV I buy doesn't flat out outperform my last one, then I have no reason to buy a new TV.

'fraid not. Best I can do is off-screen pictures, while drunk.

Fiddlesticks. I REALLY should set aside some cash for a capture device.

I don'tt think I'll ever buy a television proper. My next monitor will probably be a 1440p monitor with 144hz and gsync. Think that should hold me over for a long time both in pc and retro hemispheres

SegaShack

Im curious about the 4K thing too. I'm assuming it will look better than 480p upscaled to 1080p?

Your Extron uses a 6 pole connector? Mine uses 5 (+-G+-) so I'm not really sure about the adapter wiring for your switch. I'm not sure I've seen one of those. You're not using one of the two blue ones on the bottom right?

Let me link you to the manual:
https://www.extron.com/download/files/userman/System-8-10-plus_ManualF.pdf

The wiring is on page 21 here.

Thanks again for your help.

I won't buy another TV until something with per-pixel lighting and ~1 frame of latency is available, those are my minimum specs.

Plasma is pretty (I have a Kuro) but it is not without issues. I'm hypothesizing here but I'm pretty sure the reason you can't possibly get less than 3-4 frames of latency on a good-looking plasma is the temporal dithering needed to increase the apparent amount of colors. There's a lot of processing that has to be done in a videophile-grade plasma set.

4k does have a lot of potential for imitating scanlines as with 240p there are line lines of resolution on the set to simulate each scanline from the source.

Timu

I don'tt think I'll ever buy a television proper. My next monitor will probably be a 1440p monitor with 144hz and gsync. Think that should hold me over for a long time both in pc and retro hemispheres
That's what I had since 2013 and I love it!!! Mine only goes up to 120hz though.

Madao

i would have jumped in the monitor wagon ages ago but i just can't give up the size of a regular HDTV.
my current TV is 47" and i feel it's the right size.

That's what I had since 2013 and I love it!!! Mine only goes up to 120hz though.
Price is high but they really seem perfect for games.
i would have jumped in the monitor wagon ages ago but i just can't give up the size of a regular HDTV.
my current TV is 47" and i feel it's the right size.
I currently play at my desk where I have my desktop, a 1080p60 monitor, a 1024x768 monitor, my framemeister, SFC, and PS2. No real room for a giant television lol. Also, I tend to find I'm not a huge fan of the menus for TVs. Sounds minor, but there's so much crap thrown in to them that I find it difficult to configure them in a way I'm happy with.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So, about two weeks ago the ebay-seller we all know and love, was going to "post something for me tomorrow". And even though Ive been talking to her since, there is still nothing - while my Framemeister have been here for almost a week. I know she has a ton of stuff to do, but Im really starting to get impatient, as I want so bad to set up my new rgb-setup :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom