• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to request a Luma scart cable with audio break out and she posted it within the time that you guys haven't heard back so I'm not sure.

Might just be your order is taking a while. She didn't really respond to me other than to say she posted the cable.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I was able to request a Luma scart cable with audio break out and she posted it within the time that you guys haven't heard back so I'm not sure.

Might just be your order is taking a while. She didn't really respond to me other than to say she posted the cable.

But she did at least send you a message that she posted the cable? I am ordering 5 cables from her, so it makes sense that it takes some time. Would just be nice to get an answer.

Both times I've sent her messages on ebay, I've had to send follow up messages before she responded.

Yeah, ive already sent two follow up messages, but thinking there is coming a third today.

But she did at least send you a message that she posted the cable? I am ordering 5 cables from her, so it makes sense that it takes some time. Would just be nice to get an answer.
Yes. I'm just saying that if yours is taking a while to compile, it makes sense you haven't heard back, as she's waiting to post before getting back to you. But i don't know.

Morfeo

Yes. I'm just saying that if yours is taking a while to compile, it makes sense you haven't heard back, as she's waiting to post before getting back to you. But i don't know.

Yep, guess I need to be patient. At least I can use the framemeister with the component-based systems while Im waiting!

Galdelico

I got the SD Media Launcher from code junkies in the uk. I was able to download swiss but I really don't see the options like setting it to 240p. I did however find the Game Boy Interface and was able to get that working.

With regard to swiss. Downloading that whole nightly build is confusing. I don't know what I needed to and I was just thankful that I got the GBI interface running. I would prefer to run my own Game Boy player Disc at times in 240p mode. I've seen people force 240p mode on youtube but I don't think I downloaded that option when I picked up the nightly build.

I wish more of these mod makers would consider quality of life issues when it comes to using that software. Often times I think they make it obtuse on purpose. There has yet to be a program like this I didn't figure out after a while but its just frustrating when you are new to the program.
Incidentally, I just bought a PAL Game Boy Player and placed an order at Code Junkies, for one of their SD Media Launcher sets (thanks again for the help in the GameCube thread, should some GC gaffer be posting here as well!).
I'll be sure to check out the previous pages, but - as far as I seem to understand - the Game Boy Interface alone isn't the best all in one solution yet - in order to play Game Boy/GB Color/GB Advance games on a CRT screen, without input lag and stuttering - is that right?

Peagles

Yep, guess I need to be patient. At least I can use the framemeister with the component-based systems while Im waiting!

If it makes you feel better, I had to file a PayPal claim to get her to respond. I didn't want to, but it got to the 45 days or whatever it was back then and I hadn't even heard from her.

She was great after that though lol...

Incidentally, I just bought a PAL Game Boy Player and placed an order at Code Junkies, for one of their SD Media Launcher sets (thanks again for the help in the GameCube thread, should some GC gaffer be posting here as well!).
I'll be sure to check out the previous pages, but - as far as I seem to understand - the Game Boy Interface alone isn't the best all in one solution yet - in order to play Game Boy/GB Color/GB Advance games on a CRT screen, without input lag and stuttering - is that right?

It's certainly the best all in one option.

For anyone that's curious how to use this thing, download the latest version here. Put the contents on the root of your sd card. You want 240p, so use the LL or ULL version -- launch gbi-ll.dol or gbi-ull.dol. These don't have as many options (no filtering, scaling, border, anything that needs a framebuffer) but do have a few.

To use options, check out the gbi.cli.example file to see how it should look, and make your own gbi.cli file (use notepad...) in the same folder. You just pass the arguments mentioned in the gbi topic at gc-forever.

If you're using ULL version on component cables for example and you want to force 240p (it defaults to 480p for some reason with component cables) you can do:
--scan-mode=non-interlace
just make that a line in your gbi.cli file.

It's important to understand that ULL might not work on your TV since it has a big change in refresh rate. It's supposed to work on Sony PVMs at least. I thought I had it working on my Framemeister but the last time I updated it seems to just go to a blue screen now.

If you using an SD Media Launcher the best thing you can do is rename the dol file you want to start automatically as autoexec.dol. Most people seem to have swiss as autoexec but since I never use anything but gbi I have that as autoexec.dol. Then it just launches as soon as the thing boots with the Datel disc in.

Also good to note that a recent update added GBA via GC link cable as a controller option, which was missing before.

Morfeo

If it makes you feel better, I had to file a PayPal claim to get her to respond. I didn't want to, but it got to the 45 days or whatever it was back then and I hadn't even heard from her.

It kinda does make me feel better yeah, since that shows that she is always pretty slow. I havent paid for my stuff yet though, so cant go that route - and also dont really want to, considering I buy all my cables from her.

Galdelico

It's certainly the best all in one option.

For anyone that's curious how to use this thing, download the latest version here. Put the contents on the root of your sd card. You want 240p, so use the LL or ULL version -- launch gbi-ll.dol or gbi-ull.dol. These don't have as many options (no filtering, scaling, border, anything that needs a framebuffer) but do have a few.

To use options, check out the gbi.cli.example file to see how it should look, and make your own gbi.cli file (use notepad...) in the same folder. You just pass the arguments mentioned in the gbi topic at gc-forever.

If you're using ULL version on component cables for example and you want to force 240p (it defaults to 480p for some reason with component cables) you can do:

It's important to understand that ULL might not work on your TV since it has a big change in refresh rate. It's supposed to work on Sony PVMs at least. I thought I had it working on my Framemeister but the last time I updated it seems to just go to a blue screen now.
That's great, thank you!

I forgot to mention, my setup - at least initially - is going to be: PAL GameCube + PAL GBP -> official Nintendo RGB Scart cable -> Sony Trinitron CRT TV (hopefully I'll migrate to PVM lands soon). So there's no component cables involved, as for right now.
One thing I don't entirely get is... Does GBI LL version fix the stuttering you normally get with GBP? Or do you specifically need the ULL update?

If you using an SD Media Launcher the best thing you can do is rename the dol file you want to start automatically as autoexec.dol. Most people seem to have swiss as autoexec but since I never use anything but gbi I have that as autoexec.dol. Then it just launches as soon as the thing boots with the Datel disc in.

Also good to note that a recent update added GBA via GC link cable as a controller option, which was missing before.
Hopefully I will! :D
I say so because I bought one a couple of hours ago from Codejunkies.co.uk, but - for some reason - my PayPal payment is still pending (and I don't think there's anything wrong with my PP account, as I completed two other different payments on there too, with no problems). It seems like they still have to 'accept' it, but I'm not familiar with that website, so it may be all right.

I'm using the ULL version of the Game Boy Interface via s-video 240p on my JVC DT-V1710CG and it syncs up great and is awesome! Smooth gameplay, 160p windowboxed, use GBA as controller, *zero* lag, *zero* stutter, simply unbeatable.

I also have a Super Game Boy 2, of course.

sEfGV8n.jpg
sUuVLgB.jpg

Reasons like this were why I ended up going with retrogamingcables UK, I read a lot of posts around the net saying similar things, and I just didn't have the patience to deal with that.

Reasons like this were why I ended up going with retrogamingcables UK, I read a lot of posts around the net saying similar things, and I just didn't have the patience to deal with that.

Well most things someone would need can be found just on her normal storefront, and she's very quick to ship 'em out in my experience.

Mega

Banned

Thanks for this! I previously had to resort to using LL for proper 240p because ULL mysteriously ran games in 480p over GameCube Component. This never made sense to me.

One thing I don't entirely get is... Does GBI LL version fix the stuttering you normally get with GBP? Or do you specifically need the ULL update?

Yeah it does. Normal GBP software has a mess of duplicated frames every 5 seconds or so. It runs at standard 59.94Hz (60FPS) and it should only have 1 frame duplicated every now and then so I'm not sure why it does the stuttering thing. LL runs at 59.84Hz which is closer to GB/GBA native panel refresh, but still not quite and has 1 duplicated frame every so often (not sure of the exact timing) to make up the difference.

ULL runs very very close to GBA native refresh at 59.72Hz -- it's still not exact so I'm not sure how the difference is made up but it doesn't seem to duplicate frames (maybe a longer vblank window?).

Galdelico

Yeah it does. Normal GBP software has a mess of duplicated frames every 5 seconds or so. It runs at standard 59.94Hz (60FPS) and it should only have 1 frame duplicated every now and then so I'm not sure why it does the stuttering thing. LL runs at 59.84Hz which is closer to GB/GBA native panel refresh, but still not quite and has 1 duplicated frame every so often (not sure of the exact timing) to make up the difference.

ULL runs very very close to GBA native refresh at 59.72Hz -- it's still not exact so I'm not sure how the difference is made up but it doesn't seem to duplicate frames (maybe a longer vblank window?).
Awesome, thanks again!
Hope everything arrives soon, as I'm really looking forward to test the whole set out.

Peagles

It kinda does make me feel better yeah, since that shows that she is always pretty slow. I havent paid for my stuff yet though, so cant go that route - and also dont really want to, considering I buy all my cables from her.

Yeh that's tricky. Hang in there...

People say they're noisy, I'd rather wait and get something better quality, but I've since sourced my cables elsewhere.

Well most things someone would need can be found just on her normal storefront, and she's very quick to ship 'em out in my experience.

I just made a normal order, but she got bad at responding when one of the cables didn't work. It was just a straightforward SNES cable though, nothing complicated, and she had some in stock still afaik, and still very slow to respond.

I just made a normal order, but she got bad at responding when one of the cables didn't work. It was just a straightforward SNES cable though, nothing complicated, and she had some in stock still afaik, and still very slow to respond.
Ah, yeah. that's unfortunate.

IrishNinja

i need retro_console_accessories to come back & offer a breakaway SCART cable with an audio out for this YUV/component adapter, prolly not getting sound of anything till she does (but i'm curious if plugging speakers/headphones into the front of the Genesis might work for that?)

Khaz

i need retro_console_accessories to come back & offer a breakaway SCART cable with an audio out for this YUV/component adapter, prolly not getting sound of anything till she does (but i'm curious if plugging speakers/headphones into the front of the Genesis might work for that?)

it will.

as for the breakaway cable, any random scart plug with Audio out should do the trick, no need to have one custom made.

IrishNinja

it will.

as for the breakaway cable, any random scart plug with Audio out should do the trick, no need to have one custom made.

okay, cool! looks like i'll be running through Alien Storm again soon, the RCA cable im using now is butt but ive a component onna way from monoprice. and yeah, i just don't have any SCART cables with audio out right now, except the BNC one for my PVM which won't work here...i know she sells em, just not right now sadly

Madao

i saw some screen captures from GC/Wii in another forum and they look a lot better than the captures i get.

anyone knows of a good resource to calibrate a capture card? i'm now having second doubts about my capture card's settings and want to get the best out of it. i have the Startech PEXHDCAP60L.

Timu

i saw some screen captures from GC/Wii in another forum and they look a lot better than the captures i get.

anyone knows of a good resource to calibrate a capture card? i'm now having second doubts about my capture card's settings and want to get the best out of it. i have the Startech PEXHDCAP60L.
Do you capture your shots in PNG format?

Rich!

so I looked on gumtree earlier, found a panasonic 25" crt for free! RGB input via SCART of course, as standard here in the UK. Picked it up after work. It's awesome!

Only have a gamecube plugged in so far, but it gives a glorious image via RGB:

Oh and I ordered this today:

It was £80 on ebay with free postage for all of that. I'll be selling the games and controllers separately as I don't need them - that'll get me a good chunk of that cash back. I also bought an RGB amp to go with it:

_12p8zyx.jpg

cant wait to get back into lagless rgb goodness

Morfeo

Sorry to hear man. I followed that thread twice a day for at least 9 months... Got in when he announced the first run. I know a lot of people are waiting for the next run to open. It's a gorgeous switch

I was actually slightly short on cash when it came on sale, so held off ordering - which of course was a mistake lol. Anyways, glad for you guys that got it, now im just waiting for the next batch!

Yeh that's tricky. Hang in there...
People say they're noisy, I'd rather wait and get something better quality, but I've since sourced my cables elsewhere.

Yeah, Ive heard so much complaining about retrogaming.uk, which is why i stick to the ebay seller, despite her slowness.

Rich!

lol, the geometry is slightly off. tinkering time!

anyone got a good source image/suite to use to do this? The service menu is easy as hell to access on this set - just hold down mute and press channel down once.

i had the same problem. there is an easy fix (and ive read the adapters degrade image quality somewhat, but i havent tested it) but it was enough to deter me from using one.

ps: i have never, ever, once in my life, soldered anything, but doing this was INCREDIBLY easy. it took me a while to just get the courage to solder the first thing ever as i am not savvy in this kind of shit whatsoever, but if youre brave enough, heres the best fix for audio using the adapter you have.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discuss...io-to-the-cvs287-scart-to-component-converter

its extremely extremely easy. i have shaky AF hands though so i had to try it twice but second time was fine.

Vespa

That's a nice picture, Rich and for free! Picked up a pc crt Diamondtron 750sb for £10 on gumtree, loving how cheap this tech is! Just waiting for my YUV to VGA transcoder to arrive for some sweet 480p crt Wii.

I'm assuming that it's a 480i image you've snapped there, Rich? How many consumer crts are you rocking?

Rich!

That's a nice picture, Rich and for free! Picked up a pc crt Diamondtron 750sb for £10 on gumtree, loving how cheap this tech is! Just waiting for my YUV to VGA transcoder to arrive for some sweet 480p crt Wii.

I'm assuming that it's a 480i image you've snapped there, Rich? How many consumer crts are you rocking?

Yeah, 480i 60hz RGB via GameCube. Can't wait to get a 240p system running through it.

And just this TV right now! I had to sell off or give away everything previously after breaking up with the ex, but now I have enough space and money to get back into it.

I still have my SNES, Mega Drive and (of course) GameCube RGB SCART cables from before. The thing is, living here in the UK, getting a decent RGB set up is really cheap. All SNES (minus the mini/Jr), PS1 and Mega Drive consoles output RGB as standard. SCART cables are cheap. PAL GameCube and Wii output RGB via SCART. And people are literally throwing away awesome RGB CRT sets.

The only cost prohibitive areas IMO would be NES and N64.

Khaz

i had the same problem. there is an easy fix (and ive read the adapters degrade image quality somewhat, but i havent tested it) but it was enough to deter me from using one.

I am very doubtful it has any effect on image quality. It's just a tiny passthrough plug, the switch never touches the RGB lines.

It does make for a big, bulky connection, that may fall off because of its weight when moving it or bumping it. The mod you shown is in that regard a better solution, more secure. If it were me however, I would take the audio at the other end of the Scart cable, the closest to the source as possible, to eliminate any potential noise that could creep in your cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom