• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

To me 1080p scanlines look horrid, too thin and sharp. 720p with scanlines look much more natural

They used to look that way on previous firmware, they now are fully customizable and look great. Are you sure you have the latest firmware, are using 4x profiles and ZOOM is on?

I used to play in 720p only for this very reason that scanlines on 1080p looked unnatural and too thin but now 1080 looks way better for anything 240p really.

flyover

They used to look that way on previous firmware, they now are fully customizable and look great. Are you sure you have the latest firmware, are using 4x profiles and ZOOM is on?

I used to play in 720p only for this very reason that scanlines on 1080p looked unnatural and too thin but now 1080 looks way better for anything 240p really.
If you don't mind my asking, what are your recommended general settings for some 240p content output to 1080? I would love to get some nice scanlines at that resolution, but am not so great at finding the right settings myself.

If you don't mind my asking, what are your recommended general settings for some 240p content output to 1080? I would love to get some nice scanlines at that resolution, but am not so great at finding the right settings myself.

Direct link to profiles

This includes everything from NES to Wii. I can't recall off the top of my head how to install them in to the right place on your SD card, but I think there's a readme included.

Here's the website they're located at: http://firebrandx.com/pixelpurist.html

TheWraith

Use the FBX profiles as detailed by NormalFish, and refer to these scanline settings for you to tinker with:

XRGB_Mini_scanline_settings.png

I can guarantee you they look equal or better then what used to be available with 720p scanlines in the old firmware. make sure you use the 4X profiles only.

at 1080p with FBX's 5x profile (which I prefer) I use INT_LINE 0 and INT_SMOOTH ~90. They're thin, but they feel pretty authetic and mask a bit of the softness on my SFC (though, unfortunately, most of the bleed is on the horizontal axis).

televator

New Framemeister firmware update 2.03 just has been updated, according to Mycomsoft color output of RGB has been improved, as well as better sync stabilization among other stuff according to their twitter feed.

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini.htm

Nice. I really need to get back around to some 240p games and put the FM through its paces. Now that we've made it seem probable that Fudoh was wrong about the FM's internal color space, RGB output could look really nice from the FM.

Rich!

Just confirmed with the seller...off to get my JVC tomorrow!

I have six to choose from so yeah, hopefully my SFC Jr arrives in time tomorrow for me to RGB mod it to take with me! It's a two hour drive, but needs must

Mega

Banned
You already have the SNES scart cable and BNC adapter cable?

If you're in a bind and have no consoles for testing, take your K101 and use the Composite Out... it works surprisingly well. Beer also recently brought up the original PSP's Component Out as a good option for anyone wanting to test a monitor on site.

New Framemeister firmware update 2.03 just has been updated, according to Mycomsoft color output of RGB has been improved, as well as better sync stabilization among other stuff according to their twitter feed.

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini.htm

Direct link: http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini_download.htm

(frames? in 2016? sure looks like a website designed by hardware engineers...)

Seems like more settings geared at composite/s-video, some sync fixes for HDMI, some other tweaks for the minor differences between NTSC-U/J. The added A/D and sharpness options for Luma vs Chroma should be interesting given how much less resolution there is in Chroma for s-video -- probably best to turn the sharpness way the hell down for chroma but we'll see.

I'm curious if the sync fixes will help with the lag on resolution switch. As it is now my TV seems to lose all signal for a couple seconds if the resolution changes at the console output end, which doesn't make a lot of sense other than HDMI just being full of gremlins, so if it fixes that it would be great.

Rich!

If you're in a bind and have no consoles for testing, take your K101 and use the Composite Out... it works surprisingly well. Beer also recently brought up the original PSP's Component Out as a good option for anyone wanting to test a monitor on site.

How am I supposed to take my k101 when I sold it to you? Haha

The psp outputs 240p, 480i and 480p so that's what I use to test monitors! Too bad there's no 240p test suite for it.

Rich!

Yeah, right now the only consoles I have to hand are the Wii U and Xbox OG. I don't have anything else around at the moment.

I do have a PS3 but no component cable.

Worst comes to worst, I'll just have to blind buy the one in best condition. As long as it turns on, of course. He's already confirmed none have burn-in.

Peltz

Yeah, right now the only consoles I have to hand are the Wii U and Xbox OG. I don't have anything else around at the moment.

I do have a PS3 but no component cable.

Worst comes to worst, I'll just have to blind buy the one in best condition. As long as it turns on, of course. He's already confirmed none have burn-in.
Wii component cable (if you have one ) works on Wii U.

Rich!

lol I forgot

I own a GameCube (with a scart RGB cable). And I have a media launcher for Swiss/240p

Problem solved. My brain however is still an issue

Rich!

Do you know if there is a way (i.e. homebrew) to use a SCART RGB cable on an NA Gamecube?

I don't think so, no. With the Wii it's possible but you need to change your system firmware to the EU one.

Personally it's safe to say that purely in terms of hardware, the PAL GameCube is the superior one. It supports component, 60hz and RGB SCART. Obviously you need a way to play US/JP games, but that's easy enough (xeno chip, action replay, etc)

Rich!

quick question

are broadcast monitors picky about c-sync? do I need cables specifically wired for it? My sega and snes scart cables are, but my gamecube one isn't - I remember it not working on the framemeister, but it works fine on CRTs. Also, reading up on the monitor I'm getting tomorrow it seems it has "over 550 lines", according to the manual. that sounds good.

for reference, this is the back of the monitor - see the RGB and sync ports:

JVC-TM-1750PN-17-inch-Broadcast-Monitor-004.jpg

I thought you had two!

Regarding the PSP, couldn't you just boot up an SNES or Genesis emulator and run the relevant 240p Suite rom?

You.... You're God damn right I could! Great idea. Genesis emulation on psp is excellent. I've never tried them with the component cable though. I'll try it out when I can.

I generally use chrono cross for testing. 240p in game and 480i for the menus.

Why would someone want this over the component or HDMI options? Do PVMs not normally do component?

The component cables are expensive and very few CRT support 480p anyways. My gamecube is a glorified gameboy machine @240p. It would have been cheaper for me to use an RGB Cable.

Rich!

Why would someone want this over the component or HDMI options? Do PVMs not normally do component?

Why spend hundreds on a component cable for a PVM when you can spend £3 on eBay and get an RGB SCART cable that gives you basically the exact same quality? Especially if you're going 240p.

No one with a PVM/framemeister and a PAL GameCube should be buying a component cable. Absolute waste of money in those cases IMO.

Rich!

But wont the GCVideo also have a component option? I thought it did...

But SCART RGB cables for the GameCube are less than a tenner each.

If you are gaming on a PVM or framemeister with a PAL GameCube, your best option is an RGB cable. You get superb quality equivalent to the component solution and it'll cost you the price of a big mac meal.

LCDs are another thing entirely, as is the situation if you only have an NTSC GameCube.

televator

But SCART RGB cables for the GameCube are less than a tenner each.

If you are gaming on a PVM or framemeister with a PAL GameCube, your best option is an RGB cable. You get superb quality equivalent to the component solution and it'll cost you the price of a big mac meal.

LCDs are another thing entirely, as is the situation if you only have an NTSC GameCube.

The line of conversation with my response to normalfish was about mods/GCVideo.

It'd be nice if theres some way to boot the gameboy player independently of the GC. Just supply 5V, handle IO and interface with a controller and output to display. Might be more trouble than it's worth but it'd be good for a consolized GBA to not rely on a GameCube.

Lettuce

Just confirmed with the seller...off to get my JVC tomorrow!

I have six to choose from so yeah, hopefully my SFC Jr arrives in time tomorrow for me to RGB mod it to take with me! It's a two hour drive, but needs must

Six?, damn!!. Wheres the seller located?....might pick up a backup as £60 isnt a bad price.....or though i got my Sony PVM for £20 but that was before more people became aware of them

You mean like with switchers and extensions? Yeah, I guess I see that.
Not just that, but if I'm using a specific box (say, the OSSC), I'll have access to scart (and VGA, afaik, to be fair), but not component.

Older displays especially hamper the utility of HDMI.

Tangentially, I'm actually kind of nonplussed with the focus on digital HDMI hardmods these days. I mean I understand why they're popular, but they really feel limited.

televator

Not just that, but if I'm using a specific box (say, the OSSC), I'll have access to scart (and VGA, afaik, to be fair), but not component.

Older displays especially hamper the utility of HDMI.

Tangentially, I'm actually kind of nonplussed with the focus on digital HDMI hardmods these days. I mean I understand why they're popular, but they really feel limited.

OSSC does component. I guess if it were another device that did SCART to HDMI only, then that'd be valid.

With support for analog connections being phased out, eventually digital interfaces will be the only option for people. Poor S-video got kicked to the curb already. Heh

OSSC does component. I guess if it were another device that did SCART to HDMI only, then that'd be valid.

With support for analog connections being phased out, eventually digital interfaces will be the only option for people. Poor S-video got kicked to the curb already. Heh

it does? I thought I recalled a specific conversation debating the utility of component on the device and Marqs was pretty clear he didn't think it was worth implementing. looking at it, though, you're right. bad example.

And yeah, I definitely understand why people want the HDMI mods. It's just an odd project since it feels like the people who benefit most are people on the less-die-hard end of the AV spectrum, but it tends to be quite expensive. People seem happy though so more power to 'em.

televator

it does? I thought I recalled a specific conversation debating the utility of component on the device and Marqs was pretty clear he didn't think it was worth implementing. looking at it, though, you're right. bad example.

And yeah, I definitely understand why people want the HDMI mods. It's just an odd project since it feels like the people who benefit most are people on the less-die-hard end of the AV spectrum, but it tends to be quite expensive. People seem happy though so more power to 'em.

...but I'm a die hard AV enthusiast. The idea of getting the video and audio data before any analog conversion speaks to me.

Anyway, the images Fudoh put up of the OSSC shows component input. Unless the hardware has changed since his review, I'd assume component is still there.

...but I'm a die hard AV enthusiast. The idea of getting the video and audio data before any analog conversion speaks to me.

Anyway, the images Fudoh put up of the OSSC shows component input. Unless the hardware has changed since his review, I'd assume component is still there.

I'm not saying it doesn't.

Fudoh's unit might be a slightly different revision, so I'm not totally sure, but yeah.

I'll get excited about HDMI mods when I have an OLED (or better tech) TV with < 2 frame latency, maximum. At that point we'll also have some other nice things like an OSSC with audio support (somebody will make one, it's open source, and not everyone is as afraid of the HDMI audio licensing situation), the Garo scanliner, and more.

Lots to look forward to. Many substantial advances are going to be made on the digital display side of the retrogaming hobby. I'll stick with CRTs until then.

I'm more interested in a OSSC-like device with the lag-free options AND a framebuffer for deinterlacing than an audio solution, but I -- just today in fact -- have a fully set up external audio solution now.

I also just finished setting up my mini with the new firmware and tinkering with my profiles/cross referencing with FBX' profiles. They're looking good. It's much easier to keep a cohesive list now that I'm only really using 2 consoles LOL

Mega

Banned

Do you want the mods to include other connection types or were you hoping that the folks behind them were working on other stuff more relevant to your interests? I don't object to it because it fills a need for better image quality on HDTVs than analog-to-digital upscalers.

I do agree with your sentiments when it comes to stuff like the FPGA NES only having HDMI... that sucks for anyone who wanted a cheaper and more versatile alternative to a NESRGB-modded console for CRT gaming. If Kevtris does his FPGA multi console device, I'd be bummed if it too were only HDMI (he said it would be easy and almost no extra cost to add several connection types). I have a really good HDMI-Component converter which is how I muck around with the Ultra HDMI on my CRT, but I want native support for HDMI, RGB and Component on new and upcoming dedicated devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom