• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaMc

that's known, no idea why that'd make the device = "forget about it" at that res though

"Forget about it" was my response to Pancakes R Us who specifically asked if the XRGB mini could recreate the JVC CRT picture, which at 1080p it can't.

For others the XRGB may be perfectly acceptable.

baphomet

"Forget about it" was my response to Pancakes R Us who specifically asked if the XRGB mini could recreate the JVC CRT picture, which at 1080p it can't.

For others the XRGB may be perfectly acceptable.

Again, you don't need a 720p set to make the picture look like that. Set the xrgb to 720p with scanlines and it'll look correct on a 1080p set. Its going to get scaled no matter what. Even on a 720p(1366x768 or whatever) display.

Peagles

Again, you don't need a 720p set to make the picture look like that. Set the xrgb to 720p with scanlines and it'll look correct on a 1080p set. Its going to get scaled no matter what. Even on a 720p(1366x768 or whatever) display.

I'm willing to bet some 1080 native displays look better than some 720 native displays too.

I think if I had an upscaler our TV would look fine in 720p, even though it's a 1080 plasma.

D.Lo

Yep, modern TVs have problems scaling interlaced SD images. But 720p to 1080p scaling is very well handled by all but a few TVs. The Framemeister gets you 9.9% of the way on a 1080p TV. Scaling one million pixels to two million pixels is much easier to do and look nice than 150k (240p) to 2 million.

See also all the PS360 games that render at less than 1080p (ie 99.9% of them). You didn't need a 720p TV to play them.

IrishNinja

haha we should start an RF Defense Force peagles!!

1) authentic retro experience™ for broke american kids
2) zero input lag *nods to sixfourtyfive*
3) unique visual enhancements such as color banding, dot crawl, entirely illegible text (mysterious!), etc

D.Lo

The crazy thing about RF is that we had these native RGB monitors sitting next to native RGB sources, and both had to do major signal down/upconversions to get them to talk to each other.

Video game consoles were basically a hack use of TVs which were designed just to receive compressed-to-hell broadcast signals.

Peagles

3) unique visual enhancements such as color banding, dot crawl, entirely illegible text (mysterious!), etc

4) "tune in" to excitement! no more boring binary on/off channel switching
5) dedicated gaming - connect one system at a time for a more focused gaming experience
6) tv sharing experience - flick the switch between 'game' and 'tv' for instant broadcast television!

Gunsmithx

I'm now expecting our retro game night this week to be exclusively in RF while the rgb nes cries in the corner.

IrishNinja

5) dedicated gaming - connect one system at a time for a more focused gaming experience

oh my god i had this borrowed hotel TV in the day with no ability to adjust contrast (brutal on dark games like RE1's cavern) and the classic systems were daisy-chained RF's with a cable switch...hoooo boy

^edit just read gun's post bwahaha

I'm now expecting our retro game night this week to be exclusively in RF while the rgb nes cries in the corner.

see we really should keep shit OG like this but watch Mzo bitch, he's such a prima donna about these things

IrishNinja

8) said daisy-chaining adds unique "snow" effect to many games! did you like the intro level to X-Men 2: Clone Wars?! you bet your sweet ass you did and now you can make all games look like that!

Gunsmithx

oh my god i had this borrowed hotel TV in the day with no ability to adjust contrast (brutal on dark games like RE1's cavern) and the classic systems were daisy-chained RF's with a cable switch...hoooo boy

^edit just read gun's post bwahaha

see we really should keep shit OG like this but watch Mzo bitch, he's such a prima donna about these things

I'm so down but he'd probably kill us lol, we can also order incomplete games too!

7) optional daisy-chaining for further enhancement of aforementioned unique visual enhancements!

It feels like there should be some crazy sub retro group that insists on true originality RF style

SegaShack

Let's do it.
RF passing through a VCR first too, for even worse signal quality. Maybe thats the key to getting 2600 onto an RGB monitor.

I can do any mods that don't involve soldering and every time I have tried soldering, I break something.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It feels like there should be some crazy sub retro group that insists on true originality RF style
True retro poverty has to include color-matching puzzle games on a black-and-white TV at some point. (I have played Dr. Mario like this.)

Or those screw terminals and switch boxes that you had to use when not even RF jacks were available.

IrishNinja

Or those screw terminals and switch boxes that you had to use when not even RF jacks were available.

oh god, i had one of those on an old set for my Atari 400 in the day, not even sure what that connection's called anymore...wonder where that system went too

also not sure how far you got on B&W Dr Mario but props man!

D.Lo

True retro poverty has to include color-matching puzzle games on a black-and-white TV at some point. (I have played Dr. Mario like this.)

I played Zelda 3 on a black and white TV. Had no memorise potions by position.

Never daisy chained 3+ systems via RF huh... It's even better then you can imagine.

I used to have the Nintendo 64 switch block directly into my CRT aerial socket. Then the PlayStation RF would go in one side, and my VCR the other side. Then my Dreamcast/GameCube would plug into the PlayStation RF socket.

Quality sucks, especially RF for the Cube, but it was convenient at least! Used to record Final Fantasy X-2 songs from the PlayStation 2 via the VCR later on with composite too.

bacardi

Hey guys, fantastic thread here :D

Just wanted to ask a simple question: Is there any point of getting a much more expensive Professional Monitors like the Sony PVM-20 or just use a regular consumer model Trinitron? I mean is the image quality that much better in the professional models? Most of them are also a pain to hook up I see since they have BNC inputs, thanks :)

antibolo

Banned

Just wanted to ask a simple question: Is there any point of getting a much more expensive Professional Monitors like the Sony PVM-20 or just use a regular consumer model Trinitron? I mean is the image quality that much better in the professional models? Most of them are also a pain to hook up I see since they have BNC inputs, thanks :)

Where do you live? If you're not in a country where SCART is a thing, a big advantage that PVMs have over consumer TVs is native RGB input.

The image quality is that much better but they require a lot of fiddling.

Even most CRTs these days require fiddling. I am constantly not happy with the over scan and geometry on my set.

bacardi

I'm in Europe so a RGB SCART cable is pretty much a standard thing here, so I really have a hard time believing a PVM for example (which here costs around 300USD) Will display that much better than a consumer Trinitron TV for 10 USD.

It will definitely be more reliable though.

My KX-14CP1 was made in Japan, which is usually what signifies a good quality Sony display.

bacardi

It will definitely be more reliable though.

My KX-14CP1 was made in Japan, which is usually what signifies a good quality Sony display.

Yeah good point... Besides they look much better tan the consumer models :p On that note anyone ever experience with the Sony PVM-2044? Cheers.

SegaShack

Read this for a comparison of a PVM to a Trinitron CRT. Much better image quality. I had a consumer trinitron before I got my monitor (both calibrated too), and even on conposite the monitor is much better. They are higher end and were much more expensive.

http://retrorgb.com/rgbmonitors.html

Timu

So I got my scart to component converter today but made a recent discovery on why my scart cable didn't work with the previous converter and this one. It turns out I got the wrong cable and/or it's the console itself blocking the csync signal.

Here's something I didn't know: It turns out that my late SNES has the 1CHIP-03 after looking under the console seeing UN321 under the console. It does not like csync without modification and is why it didn't work with either converter. To be able to use my cable I would have to modify it but I read it also requires soldering, something I don't do. Since I don't do that, I now need a new cable without the csync.

Amazing how much there is to know, I should had went with my Saturn 1st, lol.

IrishNinja

The image quality is that much better but they require a lot of fiddling.

Even most CRTs these days require fiddling. I am constantly not happy with the over scan and geometry on my set.

how much fiddling around with monitors & CRT's can you do to actually eliminate overscan? again i had a trinotron and don't recall much extra in the way of settings

SegaShack

how much fiddling around with monitors & CRT's can you do to actually eliminate overscan? again i had a trinotron and don't recall much extra in the way of settings
It's all in the service menus and you can do a lot of advanced geometry adjustments. Fixing overscan would be easy. Just look up how to enter the service menu for your model.

Peagles

I'm in Europe so a RGB SCART cable is pretty much a standard thing here, so I really have a hard time believing a PVM for example (which here costs around 300USD) Will display that much better than a consumer Trinitron TV for 10 USD.

Believe it.

Khaz

In the service menu of my standard, basic consumer CRT TV I can adjust vertical overscan (up and down) but not horizontal overscan (on the sides). I'm not sure why, though.

Peltz

Scanlines do not display properly at 1080p resolution. This is a known issue.

480p (top left), 720p (top right) and 1080p (bottom):
framemeister_scanlines.jpg

Ok, granted, I haven't played on a proper SD in over a decade, but what should I be finding so objectionable in the 1080p image? How are those scanlines "wrong" and the 720p scanlines "right"?

Khaz

Ok, granted, I haven't played on a proper SD in over a decade, but what should I be finding so objectionable in the 1080p image? How are those scanlines "wrong" and the 720p scanlines "right"?

They're thinner? I don't know either, I'm #teamCRT.

I adjusted my monitor via pots on the chassis while the display was powered. Not the safest method but this 1995 display has no menus. Kinda prefer it this way.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone in the Bay Area have any leads on where to find a PVM/BVM? I've been looking through ads for broadcast equipment rental places with the hope that maybe if I called they'll sell me one.. I found a place in San Francisco that has a few but have yet to make the call.

theres a 14incher on craigslist right now in the oakland hills area but the guy was a little evasive when I asked about the convergance, plus I'm starting to think I want a larger one.

antibolo

Banned
14 inch is OK if you intend on putting it on a desk and playing from a chair that's right next to said desk.

If you want something you will put in your living room you'll need at least a 20 incher, or it's just not going to be enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom