• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faithless

So, I've put in a bid for an official SNES/Gamecube SCART to get RGB into my Sony PVM -- because of buzzing audio.

Do any of you have a suggestion for fixing buzzing audio output before I drop a bunch of money on Nintendo's Cable (which other boards have suggested may clear up the buzzing because of shielded lines?)

Peagles

So, I've put in a bid for an official SNES/Gamecube SCART to get RGB into my Sony PVM -- because of buzzing audio.

Do any of you have a suggestion for fixing buzzing audio output before I drop a bunch of money on Nintendo's Cable (which other boards have suggested may clear up the buzzing because of shielded lines?)

Retro_console_accessories has a Pro version of her cables now which look super shielded, that could be a go-er?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking at R_C_A's ebay store earlier and it seemed like the person wasn't selling anything currently? I clicked the link from the OP.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ah thank you!
So I need this cable and then a scart to bnc cable to hook my genesis up to a compatible CRT right?

BubbaMc

Sounds like a ground loop issue.

Are you using the PVM's speakers? Are your SNES and PVM power cables plugged into the same power strip?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
For a model 1 I'd get one with the stereo audio cable. Not sure if she has them in stock though.

I've been planning on using external speakers through the headphone port on the model 1.. I'm pretty sure the displays I've been looking at don't even have speakers.

Peagles

I've been planning on using external speakers through the headphone port on the model 1.. I'm pretty sure the displays I've been looking at don't even have speakers.

Well that's workable I guess if it's the only system you intend you have set up. Otherwise it's easier to split audio off at the SCART-BNC cable part.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's workable I guess if it's the only system you intend you have set up. Otherwise it's easier to split audio off at the SCART-BNC cable part.

That makes sense. Unfortunately that cable doesn't appear to be up for sale. Maybe in a week or so?

Peagles

That makes sense. Unfortunately that cable doesn't appear to be up for sale. Maybe in a week or so?

Best bet would be to send her a message. She's pretty busy so you might not get a response straight away but she's pretty good about meeting requests.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Got it.
For sure.
I don't even have a CRT yet so I can wait.

SegaShack

Im just waiting for her to list Genesis 2 cables (for my 32x), then I will be dropping like $100 in cables, lol.

edit: She only had 2 Saturn Cables left, so I said screw it, and ordered the other cables I needed besides Genesis, will pay the extra dollar or so for shipping to not have to wait for a Saturn restock as well. Also ordered Dreamcast Scart and an original Xbox Component cable from other sellers. RGB here I come!

Im considering an XRGB mini, so actually I feel less sad that my plasma is only 720p. Hooray scanlines!
720p plasmas are anamorphic 1024x768 who think they are 1280x720.

... 720p scanlines on them can be very hit and miss. (they're still very good TV's just don't expect something pixel perfect)

BTails

Im just waiting for her to list Genesis 2 cables (for my 32x), then I will be dropping like $100 in cables, lol.

edit: She only had 2 Saturn Cables left, so I said screw it, and ordered the other cables I needed besides Genesis, will pay the extra dollar or so for shipping to not have to wait for a Saturn restock as well. Also ordered Dreamcast Scart and an original Xbox Component cable from other sellers. RGB here I come!

I was doing the same, but when I read that we were down to one Saturn RGB cable, I had to bite. Just ordered SNES, Saturn, PS1/2, and a SCART to XRGB adapter.

Now I wait for Solaris Japan to ship my preordered XRGB...

SegaShack

I was doing the same, but when I read that we were down to one Saturn RGB cable, I had to bite. Just ordered SNES, Saturn, PS1/2, and a SCART to XRGB adapter.

Now I wait for Solaris Japan to ship my preordered XRGB...
Hahha glad I wasn't the only one. I ordered cords for the exact same systems, lol.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
FWIW, I have an official Saturn JP RGB cable that I no longer need. Still works fine. I'd be willing to let it go for $20 + s&h.

Ramune

Re-asking a question I cross posted in the "best CRT" thread (but now under a pile of dirt)

Equipment:
Genesis NonHDG Model 1 (ext. Empty space rev.)
Olympus OEV203 (rebranded Sony PVM-20m2mdu)
Genesis 1/Master System RGB SCART cable from retro_console_accessories
Scart - BNC cable

I have my brightness and contrast on medium, and the Genesis, out of all my RGB consoles, has some slight double image going on. Here's some samples (brightness to max for camera capturing purposes):

DSC_0193.PNG

DSC_0195.PNG

Its not the display, as I have another Olympus PVM (same model), and it output the same picture. And every other RGB connected console is pretty crisp (well jury is still out on my SNES). Here's my US Saturn (model 2 round button rev.) using JP21 official Sega Saturn RGB cables with a JP21 -> SCART conversion connector from retro_gaming_cables.

BTails

FWIW, I have an official Saturn JP RGB cable that I no longer need. Still works fine. I'd be willing to let it go for $20 + s&h.

Tempting, but since I'll be getting a Scart switcher eventually, I'll want to keep everything the same for ease of use.

Buy from Sixfortyfive with confidence though, he (she?) sold me a Genesis game in the BST thread and the transaction was a pleasure.

That's interference of some kind I believe.

I have 2 PVM's and one does that with some cables while the other doesn't.

I suspect one is better shielded on the inside and that makes a difference, but it can be solved via better cables or something.

Is it wired to composite sync or composite video?

Can you test a Master System on it?

The Llama

720p plasmas are anamorphic 1024x768 who think they are 1280x720.

... 720p scanlines on them can be very hit and miss. (they're still very good TV's just don't expect something pixel perfect)

Completely depends on the tv. IIRC Samsung's were like that but Panasonic generally used 1366x768.

Ramune

That's interference of some kind I believe.

I have 2 PVM's and one does that with some cables while the other doesn't.

I suspect one is better shielded on the inside and that makes a difference, but it can be solved via better cables or something.

Is it wired to composite sync or composite video?

Can you test a Master System on it?

Im not sure. These are the cables in question though.

Whoa, fast editing there! ;)
I don't own a Master System, but got this cable specifically in case I get a FM modded Model 1 console down the line. ^_^;

Completely depends on the tv. IIRC Samsung's were like that but Panasonic generally used 1366x768.
Sorry, you're wrong.

1366x768 existed, yes... In very select models and up to 2008.

Here's the 2006 line-up:

Plasma.jpg

50PX60 and 50PX600 were 1366x768 - nothing else was. Next year (2007), 1024x720 was out and 1366x768 remained in 50PX75 and 50PX77. Always on the 50 inchers, only. In the prior production years to 2006 they also existed in the 65" models (like with 65PX500).

In 2008 there were only two plasmas with less than 1080p, 42PX80 (1024x768) and... you guessed it, 50PX80 with 1366x768. Some markets still retained a 852x480 model as a entry product after 2006, I think, but not for long (2008 at most, and I think it was 2007).

And from 2008 year onwards that ended. There was just 1024x768 in X10, X20, X30, X50, XT50 and X60 (in both 42" and 50" sizes) and 1920x1080p on U, S, G, V, and Z series with any inch size going on.

In reality, very few Panasonic plasmas were 1366x768 and that size was never on the most sold models (entry ones at the entry size available), if anyone has a 720p Panasonic or Samsung plasma at home there's at least a 95% chance it's 1024x768.

Even if it was 1366x768 that wouldn't change the problem with vertical 720p scaling for scanlines might I add since both solutions are 768 pixels tall, it doesn't look horrible, it just doesn't look accurate for a scanline pattern if you're looking out for it.

--- I have one.
Im not sure. These are the cables in question though.

Whoa, fast editing there! ;)
I don't own a Master System, but got this cable specifically in case I get a FM modded Model 1 console down the line. ^_^;
Master system would help, thing is Mega Drive 1 has internal interference going on, which I think we spoke about a few pages back.

I wonder if nuking the composite video line on the VDP (as a lot of people do lately) could improve it. Seems like composite interference to me.

EDIT: I confirmed and the cable you bought seems to not be a composite sync one but composite video as sync so you can't nuke the composite video pin inside(you can contact and ask though, just to be sure). Anyway that seller usually refers to such cables asas "sync-on-luma" or sync boosted or raw sync. As seen here (don't buy that one! it's JP21, it's just because it's the other currently listed genesis 1 cable and higher end).

can you also take a picture at Sonic the hedgehog tile screen? To look for jailbars which would be consistent with interference.

SegaShack

Are you using a power supply with the same specs as the original? Genesis is picky with power supplies, should be 1.2 amps I believe. Lots of 3rd party PSUs arent the proper voltage.

The Llama

Sorry, you're wrong.

1366x768 existed, yes... In very select models and up to 2008.

Here's the 2006 line-up:

Plasma.jpg

50PX60 and 50PX600 were 1366x768 - nothing else was. Next year (2007), 1024x720 was out and 1366x768 remained in 50PX75 and 50PX77. Always on the 50 inchers, only. In the prior production years to 2006 they also existed in the 65" models (like with 65PX500).

In 2008 there were only two plasmas with less than 1080p, 42PX80 (1024x768) and... you guessed it, 50PX80 with 1366x768. Some markets still retained a 852x480 model as a entry product after 2006, I think, but not for long (2008 at most, and I think it was 2007).

And from 2008 year onwards that ended. There was just 1024x768 in X10, X20, X30, X50, XT50 and X60 (in both 42" and 50" sizes) and 1920x1080p on U, S, G, V, and Z series with any inch size going on.

In reality, very few Panasonic plasmas were 1366x768 and that size was never on the most sold models (entry ones at the entry size available), if anyone has a 720p Panasonic or Samsung plasma at home there's at least a 95% chance it's 1024x768.

Even if it was 1366x768 that wouldn't change the problem with vertical 720p scaling for scanlines might I add since both solutions are 768 pixels tall, it doesn't look horrible, it just doesn't look accurate for a scanline pattern if you're looking out for it.

--- I have one.Master system would help, thing is Mega Drive 1 has internal interference going on, which I think we spoke about a few pages back.

I wonder if nuking the composite video line on the VDP (as a lot of people do lately) could improve it. Seems like composite interference to me.

EDIT: I confirmed and the cable you bought seems to not be a composite sync one but composite video as sync so you can't nuke the composite video pin inside(you can contact and ask though, just to be sure). Anyway that seller usually refers to such cables asas "sync-on-luma" or sync boosted or raw sync. As seen here (don't buy that one! it's JP21, it's just because it's the other currently listed genesis 1 cable and higher end).

can you also take a picture at Sonic the hedgehog tile screen? To look for jailbars which would be consistent with interference.

So it existed. I don't see how I'm wrong, outside of "generally used"? If anything, you're wrong for completely dismissing the fact that 1366x768 plasma TV's exist when they clearly do. I'm actually watching TV on a 50PX600U right now heh.

Regardless, the point is that the guys tv model is what matters.

Don't mind him. He just can't resist a knowledge dump, whether it's relevant or not. :p
Google knowledge at that. Finding full line-up info on models from a few back (before 2006) can be pretty hard these days and to make things worse Panasonic was very confusing a few years back, before X10/U10/S10/G10/V10 hit. Hence why I started at 2006 models, because it was the range I remembered by name (PX60 and PX600) who had 1366x768, then proceeded to look in the years after.

Anyway, I bothered because sometimes I am confused myself and forget stuff (I'd like to be able to know every model by name because it can come in handy, but I don't), this way I did that post so I can search for it sometime if I need it, it's dumping, yeah... but not entirely without a purpose.

I think it's relevant though, because I was telling someone with a 720p plasma to not expect pixel perfect results, which is true both for 1024x768 as it is for 1366x768 at that. 1280x720 plasmas were very rare and early 2000's stuff.

If anything, you're wrong for completely dismissing the fact that 1366x768 plasma TV's exist when they clearly do. I'm actually watching TV on a 50PX600U right now heh.
I only pointed that "generally" panasonic plasmas weren't 1366x768 as you implied, that's all you were wrong on, yes - but that's all I was saying you were wrong on. And I surely didn't dismiss them.

It's not about "I'm right and you're not" kind of deal, but... I was pointing facts, no need to get defensive. Fact is 1366 or 1024 in this case changes very little because the issue is the res being 768 tall thinking it is 720p, scanlines are horizontal and the vertical scaling algorithm at place should be very similar if not the same. It doesn't give out a perfect scanline pattern. I'd even say it's slightly worse than the one seen on the framemeister at 1080p (but with 720p) due to having less resolution going on, it gets more convoluted and thankfully scanlines are usually not 100% "solid" or it could be very noticeable instead of just a little.

Someone that doesn't know as much investing on a framemeister for said plasmas and only then learning of this might be very let down.
Regardless, the point is that the guys tv model is what matters.
I can bet a beer it is 1024x768.

But unless it is really 720 pixels tall though, which is atypical, then it'll never be 1:1.

EDIT: Whoops double post.

Ramune

--- I have one.Master system would help, thing is Mega Drive 1 has internal interference going on, which I think we spoke about a few pages back.

Are you using a power supply with the same specs as the original? Genesis is picky with power supplies, should be 1.2 amps I believe. Lots of 3rd party PSUs arent the proper voltage.

Well...hmmm...I seem to have triggered a false alarm. After trying all the other consoles and plugging the Genny back...everything is back to normal. And before posting the original question, I did try replugging the cables a few times, but had the same interferance. For SegaShack, I'm using the original AC adaptor that came with the console. :)

As for the title screen and jailbars:

As for Star Light Zone...

Thanks for all your help regardless! :D

Hey guys has anyone tested out this component to hdmi upscaler yet? Cant seem to find much or any reviews on it (I think its panlong branded?), thought if anyone would know it would be here :) Would be interesting for sixth gen systems especially VGA for dreamcast! (I dabble in converters but now with my trinitron its just a backup option)

Timu

Just ordered a non cysnc SNES scart cable from her and chose the fastest shipping so I can't wait to actually try RGB next week.
Now I have to get my Saturn scart cable from Sega Style unless she restocks.=p

BTails

Just ordered a non cysnc SNES scart cable from her and chose the fastest shipping so I can't wait to actually try RGB next week. Now I have to get my Saturn scart cable from Sega Style unless she restocks.=p

Sorry! ;)

Also, I ordered the non-csync from her without thinking (forgot there's 2 versions). If I'm going into an XRGB mini, should I be using this cable, or one with Csync?

Timu

Sorry! ;)

Also, I ordered the non-csync from her without thinking (forgot there's 2 versions). If I'm going into an XRGB mini, should I be using this cable, or one with Csync?
It's ok since I didn't plan to play on Saturn until later on.=O

It honestly depends on the console when it comes to csync, definitely the SNES. All but the 1CHIP-03 SNES(like mine) can use csync while every SNES can just use non sync.

BTails

It's ok since I didn't plan to play on Saturn until later on.=O

It honestly depends on the console when it comes to csync, definitely the SNES. All but the 1CHIP-03 SNES(like mine) can use csync while every SNES can just use non sync.

I'll just keep it as is then, unless there's a benefit to going Csync; I don't have a 1CHIP, but I may eventually upgrade to a modded mini...

Anyway that seller usually refers to such cables asas "sync-on-luma" or sync boosted or raw sync.

Think the only one she sells as "sync on luma" is the playstation cables, and that is different then csync. Raw sync is what she calls csync in the product description and normally explains it more in the info part of the listing.

Well...hmmm...I seem to have triggered a false alarm. After trying all the other consoles and plugging the Genny back...everything is back to normal.

Sorry we weren't more helpful. The only thing I could think of was interference with the cords or something about having to go though the jp21 adapter for it.

Can anyone recommend a good scart switch? Tried ordering the banbridge off amazon uk but they won't deliver to us.

The bandridge one is pretty good and its what I got. They also make an auto switching one that costs a little more and needs to be powered, but can't say anything about the quality of that one. Try this ebay listing for it, think its the same one I got mine from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400692093809?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

SegaShack

Think the only one she sells as "sync on luma" is the playstation cables, and that is different then csync. Raw sync is what she calls csync in the product description and normally explains it more in the info part of the listing.

Sorry we weren't more helpful. The only thing I could think of was interference with the cords or something about having to go though the jp21 adapter for it.

The bandridge one is pretty good and its what I got. They also make an auto switching one that costs a little more and needs to be powered, but can't say anything about the quality of that one. Try this ebay listing for it, think its the same one I got mine from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400692093809?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I had just spent the last 45 minutes trying to find the best price on that switch, and best I could find was 60 bucks shipped to the US. It was so expensive I gave up and decided I was going to manually swap out cables. Then I saw your link, price was amazing at about $37.50. I then decided to search "Scart Selector" instead of scart switch, and found the same sellers international listing of it, but it is a few bucks less.

Here it is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181369081512

Cost me $35 shipped. Thank you so much for posting this, really saved me.

I will remember what Lost In Blue said, and cut the wire to the LED.

I had just spent the last 45 minutes trying to find the best price on that switch, and best I could find was 60 bucks shipped to the US. It was so expensive I gave up and decided I was going to manually swap out cables. Then I saw your link, price was amazing at about $37.50. I then decided to search "Scart Selector" instead of scart switch, and found the same sellers international listing of it, but it is a few bucks less.

Here it is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181369081512

Cost me $35 shipped. Thank you so much for posting this, really saved me.

I will remember what Lost In Blue said, and cut the wire to the LED.

I only found the one I linked because someone else linked it in in one of these threads as well. For the same reason you had, they are named weird and don't show up when you just search for "Bandridge" and need "scart selector" as the search term. Think you can find the powered one around the same way but have heard things about it not being as good. Don't have it so can't say either way on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom