• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Clydefrog said:
Is the future bright or will these guys play for other national teams when they age?
The US is always going to have a team almost entirely made up of players who are eligible for at least one other national team, but why should this be a worry? The only one that actually matters (not counting guys we don't mind leaving like Diskerud's teammate Erik Benjaminsen) that I can think of who has ever said they will play for the US and then didn't or filed a switch away from the US is Subotic. Being worried about something based on the actions of one individual would be silly. If Chandler, Hurzeler, Doyle etc. start fleeing in droves then it would be a concern.

shoplifter

a quality win yesterday, art museums today, and I fulfilled my greatest wish as an 8 year old: see Black Aggie and live.

time to fly back home.

Daigoro

yeah Ricketts was good yesterday.

decent game there. im not sold on Jones yet (not just because of this game). good goal, horrible fucked up dive. cut that shit out.

kind of cool that were going up against Panama again. i got Wednesday off, looking forward to the match up.

shoplifter

Daigoro said:
yeah Ricketts was good yesterday.

decent game there. im not sold on Jones yet (not just because of this game). good goal, horrible fucked up dive. cut that shit out.

kind of cool that were going up against Panama again. i got Wednesday off, looking forward to the match up.
We were bound to get a few divers once we started pulling more heavily from leagues where it can be gotten away with, and/or it is part of the game.

Doesn't mean Americans as a group will like it, but it was bound to happen.

xbhaskarx

U.S. Under-17 Men
vs. Uzbekistan
Estadio Torreon; Torreon
June 22, 2011 @ 4 p.m. ET
Galavision/ESPN3 (live) ESPNU (delay)

U.S. Men
vs. Panama
Reliant Stadium; Houston, Texas
June 22, 2011 @ 7 p.m. ET
Fox Soccer, Univision

Does anyone know when ESPNU is showing the U17 game? I searched the DirecTV guide looking to DVR it but it was not listed.

methodman

Banned
I hope swagadelo starts. That guy worked really well in our new formation with Sasha getting the ball to him, Demps, and Donovan in space. Delo's definitely not as good when he is playing in that shitty formation we were using earlier in thr tournament with no movement up the middle

xbhaskarx

Joe Gyau with the senior team at Hoffenheim?

Google Chrome translation said:
The new season begins for 1899 Hoffenheim on Wednesday, 22 June, are invited by 15 clock with a public workout in the Dietmar-Hopp-Stadion in Hoffenheim, which includes both the fans and the media. At this first session with Holger Stanislawski are expected to attend the following players: goalkeeper Tom Starke, the three, Daniel Haas and Jens Grahl, Andreas Beck, Fabian Johnson, Marvin Compper, Jannik Vestergaard, Matthias Jaissle, Dominik Kaiser, Tobias Weis, Denis Thomalla, Zeyad Salihovic, Sven Schipplock, Ryan Babel and Roberto Firmino. Also invited were with Joseph Gyau, Florian jerk and Marco Schäfer three players in the U23.

xbhaskarx

More interesting news regarding young Americans abroad:

Solskjaer said no to the U.S.
Joshua Gatta (19) could play Gold Cup for the United States when Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had said yes to the American coach.

Google said:
A coach Bob Bradley phoned to Molde manager before he took the squad to this year's Gold Cup being played in the U.S. now.

- Bradley said that Josh was one of several young players that he wanted to test out the A-squad. He asked if the boy was ready for the task, and I replied that I thought it was a little too early. Therefore we agreed that he should rather consider him the next outlet, says Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to Romsdals Budstikke.

He treats Gatta opportunity to play for the national team. But he also asserts that the 19-year-old, despite substantial progress still has a lot going on in their game.

- He really impressed when he played for the U20 team in France in May and coaches which he believed should be included in the Gold Cup. But he would have been one of the last places in the squad and had perhaps not been given playing time. Then it is better that he plays well in the playoffs, smiling Solskjaer.

- I have no plans to make Josh to the back, he's playing there because we have injuries to the defense. But he has taken the challenge and performed well. Attacking comes to his right with speed and drive, he can go himself and he creates space for others. Defensively, he's good to be in pressure. There are no positions that need to be better.

Solskjaer is convinced that the American is a class player in a few years.

- I've never been in doubt that this potential will turn out in the long term. He himself is very clear and impatient, and we assure him all the time that he will get their chances. But I have very good time with Josh.

- The potential is indisputable, we know he's going to be a top player, says Solskjaer.

Stuck

US Soccer said:
Altidore Sidelined 4-6 Weeks After Hamstring Strain in USA's 2-0 Victory Against Jamaica

U.S. Men’s National Team forward Jozy Altidore will be sidelined 4-6 weeks after suffering a left hamstring strain in the ninth minute of the USA’s 2-0 victory against Jamaica on June 19 in the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinal at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. Altidore underwent an MRI evaluation on Tuesday in Houston that confirmed the injury.

Looks like Jozy is officially out of the tournament.

xbhaskarx

US team is the same as last game:

U-17 #USMNT Lineup: McIntosh; Acosta, Fehr, Carroll, Amon; Pelosi (c), Dunn, Guido, E Rodriguez; Arriola, M Rodriguez

daoster

One more US player to stalk on Twitter: Jermaine Jones!

http://twitter.com/#!/Jermainejunior

It doesn't have the official logo yet, but Gooch tweeted it, so I'm gonna assume it's legit.

xbhaskarx

WTF, 1-0 Uzb in the 15th minute, it should be 2-0, both the fault of Zach Carroll.
First was an attempted clearance where Carroll kicked the ball straight up in the air, second was a Carroll giveaway and the goal looked onside. We're lucky to only be down 1.

DominoKid

#USMNT lineup vs. Panama: Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra (c), Lichaj; Bradley, Jones; Bedoya, Kljestan, Dempsey; Agudelo

Landycakes has been definitively benched. Interesting...

Heretic

I thought it was the Nats and got scared...

I'm off of work at 5 and don't get home till around 6 =(

Clydefrog, are you a Galaxy by any chance?

EDIT:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..... Donovan needs to step it up big time.

Bedoya makes good runs but he can't finish. He needs to gain some mass...

Clydefrog

I don't mind seeing Donovan benched again... hoping Bedoya and Kljestan have another good outing.

Heretic, when it comes to MLS, yeah I support the Galaxy. I'm not a huge fan by any means but I like to see them win! I've only been to one game :/

xbhaskarx

DominoKid said:
#USMNT lineup vs. Panama: Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra (c), Lichaj; Bradley, Jones; Bedoya, Kljestan, Dempsey; Agudelo

Landycakes has been definitively benched. Interesting...

My fear is this will be like Ghana, with many of our players on fumes (this time I'm worried about Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Jones, Bradley, Dempsey, maybe even Agudelo) because we have had needed such consistent effort from our starters throughout the tournament. In that sense the loss to Panama was sort of like Slovenia, it meant we couldn't give certain guys a break.
I was hoping to at least see Edu for Jones and Dempsey at forward.

Panama are not Ghana though, so we should be fine.

Heretic

Clydefrog said:
I don't mind seeing Donovan benched again... hoping Bedoya and Kljestan have another good outing.

Heretic, when it comes to MLS, yeah I support the Galaxy. I'm not a huge fan by any means but I like to see them win! I've only been to one game :/

They did play good without Donovan... kind of hurts to say that =(

Clydefrog, I MIGHT have some extra tickets to a Galaxy games. General Admission seats so we don't have to sit next to each other. You are a queens fan after all =p they came free with Gold Cup tickets that I got. Interested?

Clydefrog

Heretic said:

Clydefrog, I MIGHT have some extra tickets to a Galaxy games. General Admission seats so we don't have to sit next to each other. You are a queens fan after all =p they came free with Gold Cup tickets that I got. Interested?

LOL - depends on when the game is, but yeah I could be interested. You got tickets for the gold cup final in Pasadena? Better hope we win today!!!

Heretic

Clydefrog said:
LOL - depends on when the game is, but yeah I could be interested. You got tickets for the gold cup final in Pasadena? Better hope we win today!!!
Bought them last week. I'm hoping for the U.S. to make it. Kind of cheering for Mexico IF we don't make it just so I can have some emotional attachement to the final =p If both Mexico and the US lose it's going to be a boring final for me...

Pre

For once I'd actually like to see Adu get into this game now that we're playing a five-man midfield. The Jozy injury killed any chance of that happening in the Jamaica match.

bluemax

Banned
Heretic said:

Are Gold Cup tickets sold out? If USA wins I kind of want to go.

cruets

bluemax said:

sold out :( think i'll just show up at the rose bowl saturday and wait til kick off and buy some scalp tickets, thats if the us wins

Heretic

bluemax said:
Cruets says nosebleeds are. We got nosebleeds but last weeks. Took the risk and both them with hopes that the US would make the final. Regular price should still be available

EDIT: beaten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom