• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisis

Banned
That referee was trying to yellow card #2 for NOTHING until the sideline ref said it was US ball.

daegan said:
PROTIP: this keeper is playing out of his mind, STOP SHOOTING FROM MILES OUT

Every time they get in close, Castillo or Torres fucks up and gives it back.

Nesotenso

Crisis said:
That referee was trying to yellow card #2 for NOTHING until the sideline ref said it was US ball.

Every time they get in close, Castillo or Torres fucks up and gives it back.

I agree about Castillo but Torres has been a standout. Castillo gives up the ball all the time. Hope he never sees the national side again.

Nesotenso

Started bright and faded out. Will be destroyed by Belgium. Castillo was terrible. Torres gave a good account himself. Shea didn't have 90 minutes in him.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Nesotenso said:
Started bright and faded out. Will be destroyed by Belgium. Castillo was terrible. Torres gave a good account himself. Shea didn't have 90 minutes in him.

Hey if Azerbaijan can tie them why can't we? I agree with your other statements.

Nesotenso

Also Robbie Rogers is not national team material.

Edit : We should always play with two strikers up front. When do we play Honduras ? What is the schedule for all friendlies before qualification next year?

Crisis

Banned
Here's some quick notes:

- Excellent efforts: Landon Donovan (though I'm shocked he missed that goal), Tim Howard, Brek Shea, Freddy Adu had a few good passes. Juan Agudelo tried his ass off towards the end.

- AWFUL efforts: Castillo (he never, ever, ever needs to play for the national team again. He gave the ball away virtually every time he had it.) Jose Torres gave the fucking ball away twice at VERY inopportune times by the US' own goal and somehow managed to FALL DOWN on a very real goal scoring attempt in stoppage time. Jozy Altidore has apparently never been in sync with any other member of the US national team. Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey were SORELY missed tonight. Edu wasn't bad, but he wasn't effective, either.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Nesotenso said:
Also Robbie Rogers is not national team material.

Edit : We should always play with two strikers up front. When do we play Honduras ? What is the schedule for all friendlies before qualification next year?

October 8th and Ecuador is the only game after Honduras confirmed so far. It is on the 11th.

What exactly about Landon's performance was excellent? It was more like lackluster. I didn't even notice him during the second half.

Nesotenso

sazabirules said:
Hey if Azerbaijan can tie them why can't we? I agree with your other statements.

Hey, would love to see a win one of these days but its been hard following the side. We never seem to play a complete game.

DominoKid

Crisis said:
Here's some quick notes:

- Excellent efforts: Landon Donovan (though I'm shocked he missed that goal), Tim Howard, Brek Shea, Freddy Adu had a few good passes. Juan Agudelo tried his ass off towards the end.

- AWFUL efforts: Castillo (he never, ever, ever needs to play for the national team again. He gave the ball away virtually every time he had it.) Jose Torres gave the fucking ball away twice at VERY inopportune times by the US' own goal and somehow managed to FALL DOWN on a very real goal scoring attempt in stoppage time. Jozy Altidore has apparently never been in sync with any other member of the US national team. Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey were SORELY missed tonight. Edu wasn't bad, but he wasn't effective, either.

shocker

Nesotenso

Crisis said:
Here's some quick notes:

Torres sometimes seemed like the only play maker out there. Shea needs more exposure at the top level and better fitness. He was clearly out of gas towards the end. Jozy passed well in the first half and I think he is improving and getting minutes at his club is helping him. Edu is just taking the place of Holden right now and hopefully he won't part of the equation come 2014.

elsk

Banned
So a typical Klinsmann happened today uh? Get use to it.

Quotes from Lahm's book, about Klinsmann as Bayern coach: (don't know if already posted)

"After six or eight weeks, all the players already knew that it wasn't going to work with Klinsmann," said the 27-year-old Lahm in his new book, "The Subtle Difference".

"The rest of the season was just about damage control."

"We almost only worked on fitness in training. Tactical issues were only dealt with briefly," said Lahm.

"We players had to meet independently before games to sort out how we wanted to play."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...in/08/26/Jurgen.Klinsmann.crticism/index.html

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
A typical Klinsmann? Our tactics weren't the problem. Our formation was working really well in the first half. We just lacked in the finishing department.

Crisis

Banned
sazabirules said:
A typical Klinsmann? Our tactics weren't the problem. Our formation was working really well in the first half. We just lacked in the finishing department.

This right here.

Nesotenso

sazabirules said:

Yeah what he said. Wasn't Jurgen's fault. If anything some of the players need to improve their fitness. I will find fault with Jurgen if he ever picks Castillo again.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Player performance was the issue. It seems Bayern fans try to smear Klinsmann over anything.

Nesotenso said:
Yeah what he said. Wasn't Jurgen's fault. If anything some of the players need to improve their fitness. I will find fault with Jurgen if he ever picks Castillo again.

We're not used to possessing the ball so much like in the first half so I think that tired out our squad. Shea shouldn't have played the whole match because he looked tired for Dallas earlier in the week.

methodman

Banned
sazabirules said:
We're not used to possessing the ball so much like in the first half so I think that tired out squad. Shea shouldn't have played the whole match because he looked tired for Dallas earlier in the week.
Agreed here. We are trying to hold possession more, and it's tiring our players.

methodman

Banned
Heretic said:
So disappointed...
I like this style of soccer much better than how we played under Bradley, but we have to take shots on goal FFS. We had no shots on goal in the entire first half irrc, and only two or three in the 2nd. That's why Dempsey is so important to this team, he may hog at times, but he's never been afraid of taking shots, and is one of the only proven finishers we have in the national level.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Disappointed with the outcome, but I had a fun time at the game. Good atmosphere until the end when the ref just kind of shut off his brain.

Heretic

XMonkey said:
Disappointed with the outcome, but I had a fun time at the game. Good atmosphere until the end when the ref just kind of shut off his brain.
Definitely a great atmosphere. I loved it. What section were you in?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Heretic said:
Definitely a great atmosphere. I loved it. What section were you in?
Section 130, about midway up. Pretty good seats I must admit, but I don't think I'll have too many chances to see the national team play, so it was worth spending the extra money. This was actually the first big soccer game I've been to in person so it was really exciting after playing for so many years as a kid.

Heretic

XMonkey said:
Section 130, about midway up. Pretty good seats I must admit, but I don't think I'll have too many chances to see the national team play, so it was worth spending the extra money. This was actually the first big soccer game I've been to in person so it was really exciting after playing for so many years as a kid.
Nice! I was at Section 133. You were near the costa rica fans...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Heretic said:
Nice! I was at Section 133. You were near the costa rica fans...
Haha ya, they were chanting quite a bit just a couple rows above me. Didn't really start until they got that first goal, though :eek:

Seanspeed

Banned
I only watched the first half(fell asleep during halftime), but I'm not surprised we were terrible in the 2nd half. The 'attack attack attack' strategy of the 1st half was almost surely gonna tire them out. They did play good football and made a lot of opportunities when they had the energy, at least.

Nesotenso

platypotamus said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU I forgot to set my DVR yesterday :(

(from this thread I guess I didn't miss much?)

Great passing in the first 20-30 mins with a lack of finishing, downhill from there.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
platypotamus said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU I forgot to set my DVR yesterday :(

(from this thread I guess I didn't miss much?)

Does your ISP let you use ESPN3? If so you can watch the match on it.

xbhaskarx

The Belgium friendly starts in less than an hour, it's on ESPN...

U.S. Men vs. Belgium
King Baudouin Stadium; Brussels
Sep. 6, 2011 @ 2:30 p.m. ET
ESPN, ESPN3.com

xbhaskarx

#USMNT Lineup vs. BEL: Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra (capt.), Chandler; Edu, Torres, Dempsey; Rogers, Altidore, Shea

subs: Hamid, Orozco Fiscal, Beckerman, Larentowicz, Kljestan, Spector, Agudelo

xbhaskarx

Fucking ESPN, first it was Little League, then tennis, now NASCAR....

TV INFO: Due to a delay in the NASCAR race, the #USMNT-Belgium match will begin on ESPN2, not ESPN as listed. Still on ESPN3.com too.

xbhaskarx

Nesotenso said:
man soccer has such a long way to go here if it can't beat out a bunch of guys making left hand turns for hundred odd laps.

Apparently it doesn't matter what the event is, if there is a delay ESPN will move the one that's just starting to another channel.

Nesotenso said:
Castillo better not start.

He's not, Cherundolo at RB, Chandler at LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom