• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Great strike for Jozy. Hope his game improves a lot and he replicates his success for the USMNT. The dutch Eredivisie seems like a small league for a soccer power like Holland.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Simon Evans
@sgevans

Klinsmann says he understands there was no contact between German FA and Chandler this week and no change.

More on this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/raphael_honigstein/09/16/chandler.germany/index.html

The German FA, however, were completely surprised to hear about this supposed meeting. "I spoke to Löw yesterday," the national team's spokesman told SI.com on Thursday. "He categorically denied seeing Chandler. There is nothing to this story, it's just a silly rumor."

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Buddle scored twice in his match today. I know he's unlikely to get called up again due to his age but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up for a few matches in the future.

I'm glad Klinsmann has been visiting our players. He talked to all four of our young prospects. Hopefully he convinces William to also choose the US like Fabian Johnson has done.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
I'm glad Klinsmann has been visiting our players. He talked to all four of our young prospects. Hopefully he convinces William to also choose the US like Fabian Johnson has done.

I don't think Daniel Williams needs any convincing, he has been saying for a long time that he would play for the US, he just needs to get his US passport. Also, from what little I have seen and based on what I have read, he is not on the same level as a Chandler or Johnson and would have no shot to play for Germany. We on the other hand could certainly use him.

Related:
sgevans said:
Klinsmann big on dual citizen recruits. Cited France '98 and Germany 2010 as teams that gained greatly from dual-eligibility players

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
We're pretty stacked at Dmid but it'd be nice if we could change Daniel Williams into a defender. I hope we see Gyau at the Olympics. I don't know much about Renken.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Who is Mini-Hulk?

You can catch Bradley starting for Chievo against Napoli if you have ESPN3. 2:45 start time.

The last time an American started in Serie A was Alexi Lalas in 1994 for Padova.

daoster

sazabirules said:
Who is Mini-Hulk?

You can catch Bradley starting for Chievo against Napoli if you have ESPN3. 2:45 start time.
I would guess Chandler who confirmed directly to espn that he's sticking with us

xbhaskarx

Looks like FOX putting soccer up during NFL time worked out...

Sunday’s Chelsea-ManUtd match is most-watched BPL match ever in US, w/ combined audience of 2.5 mm on FOX Sports, @FOXSoccer & @FOXDeportes

Edit: also it's time to hold more friendlies in the northwest.
18,570 is official #USWNT attendance. Think Portland earned some more national team games.

daoster

Bocanegra and Mo Edu both opened up the scoring for Rangers today! Bedoya came in on the 73rd minute as well!

Don't have a video yet, but have a GIF I stole from BigSoccer!

219vzug.gif

xbhaskarx

Former U.S. coach arrives in Cairo to take over Egypt’s national football team

Former U.S. national soccer coach Bob Bradley arrived in Cairo to take over as the head coach of Egypt’s national soccer team, the Egyptian Football Association announced on its website on Saturday.

Egypt’s FA is scheduled to announce the details of the signing in a conference to be held later on Saturday.

“Bradley signed a two-year contract with the EFA to be in charge of the Egyptian National team until the 2014 World Cup in Brazil for 30,000 euros per month,” Egyptian FA spokesman Azmy Megahed told Ahram Online.

“The EFA chairman is still negotiating with Bradley about the assistant coaches,” he added.

Bradley, fired by the U.S. in July, was on an Egyptian FA shortlist that included the experienced Francisco Maturana, who has managed Peru, Ecuador and his native Colombia, and Zoran Filipovic, the former Yugoslav striker and Montenegro coach.

The American will be given the task of getting Egypt to the World Cup finals for the first time since 1990.

Bradley arriving in Egypt
sphinx2-blog480.jpg

Bradley smiling for the cameras
so5v1e.jpg

xbhaskarx

Looks like Michael Bradley went the full 90 again and was quite involved in Chievo's win

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/09/25/seriea.sunday.ap/index.html

Chievo Verona beat 10-man Genoa 2-1 with an injury-time winner from Davide Moscardelli on Sunday, leaving both clubs level with the Serie A leaders.
Pellissier equalized with a header following a corner kick from recently acquired United States midfielder Michael Bradley.

Bradley also began the action that led to the winner, sending a long pass up the right flank to Gennaro Sardo, who crossed to Moscardelli.

daoster

CAF is a much different beast than CONCACAF....I wish Bob nothing but the best, and am eternally grateful for what he did for us in the states.

If Bob can bring Egypt to the World Cup, and have them do HALFWAY decent, then that is only good for US Soccer. Trail blazing the way for American coaches.

As for Michael Bradley...hell yeah! Too bad I hate Serie A games, but good for Mike, getting two starts in a row.

daoster

Roster for upcoming friendlies:

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Bill Hamid, Nick Rimando

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra, Timmy Chandler, Steve Cherundolo, Clarence Goodson, Oguchi Onyewu, Michael Orozco Fiscal, Tim Ream, Jonathan Spector

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman, Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Maurice Edu, Jeff Larentowicz, Brek Shea, Danny Williams

Forwards: Juan Agudelo, Jozy Altidore, DaMarcus Beasley, Teal Bunbury, Landon Donovan

xbhaskarx

WTF where are Omar Gonzalez, Mix Diskerud, etc.

“One important thing is to see continuity in the build-up of our national team and also in the way we work as coaches. We'd like to see new faces as well, but we also don't want to shake up the core structure of the team too much."

smh... at least no Castillo and Rogers this time.

xbhaskarx

Fantastic day for Yanks' teams in Europa League: 6-0-1 (W-L-D), 4-0-1 on road.

Yanks in EL: Onyewu- 90m; Jozy- 82m, goal, yellow; Spector- 90m; Cherundolo- 90m, yellow; Kljestan- 90m; Jones- 14m; Dempsey- 90m, assist.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also wondering about Mix and Omar. Cameron would be a better MLS call up than Ream.

We all have to thank the American servicemen stationed in Germany for fathering lots of potential USMNT players. It'll be interesting to see Williams and I hope Johnson's paperwork gets done soon. I'm guessing Williams won't have to file paperwork since he never played in an official competition with the U-15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom