• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Carlos Bocanegra, who has left Rangers to go on loan to Racing Santander, has been talking about his move to Spain: "I really enjoy it here at Rangers, but this is mutually beneficial for both parties. I'm excited to get the opportunity to play in Spain, but I'm also excited it's only a loan because I get to come back.

"I enjoy it here, and I was lucky enough to be club captain. But that's football, these things happen. I've got to get on with it."

Umm, they're in the Scottish fourth division and can only move up one division per year at best....

Clydefrog

A1qRj0ACEAA5GxY.jpg

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
getting pretty crowded in that Spurs midfield, especially if this Moutinho deal is really still alive

edit: well, Moutinho is off

xbhaskarx

http://www.guardian.co.uk//football/2012/sep/01/liverpool-fail-clint-dempsey-financial-constraints

• Fulham claim Liverpool offered only £3m for American
• Charlie Adam joins Stoke in a deal worth £4m

The extent of the financial constraints on Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool was laid bare on Friday night as the club's owners, Fenway Sports Group, failed to agree a deal with Fulham for Clint Dempsey. The collapse of the United States international's proposed move to Anfield leaves Liverpool with only two senior forwards – Luis Suárez and Fabio Borini – until the transfer window reopens in January.

In another day of wage reductions at Anfield, Rodgers released three more players – Charlie Adam, Jay Spearing and Nathan Eccleston – but that was not enough for his employers to meet Fulham's demands for a minimum £5m fee for Dempsey. Fulham claim Liverpool offered only £3m for the American, who became the second Rodgers' target this summer to sign instead for Tottenham Hotspur following Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Fenway Sports Group had misgivings over paying a substantial fee for a 29-year-old despite Dempsey, who scored 23 goals last season, doing his utmost to force a move to Merseyside. He had informed Aston Villa, who agreed a £5m plus add-ons transfer with Fulham, that he wished to join only Liverpool.

If Liverpool offering £4 million for Dempsey as reported, was insulting, and I certainly think it was, what does that make a £3 million offer after selling Charlie Adam for £4 million, as Fulham is claiming?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Not this year because of Chelsea. They might finish in top 4 and qualify next year though

im a bit bias, but i feel like their moves this window put Spurs at the top of the 2nd tier EPL clubs. no reason they shouldn't finish 4th. just gotta hope another EPL club doesn't steal CL again this year :)

xbhaskarx

The chances of a Premier League team winning Champions League yet not finishing in the top four within the Premier League is... slim

CobbFC09

ESPN SC Soccer - U.S. women's coach Pia Sundhage announces resignation; guided U.S. to gold medal and had 88-6-10 record

Disappointed, but not that surprised with the news considering it was being discussed during the Olympics.

cruets

ESPN SC Soccer - U.S. women's coach Pia Sundhage announces resignation; guided U.S. to gold medal and had 88-6-10 record

Disappointed, but not that surprised with the news considering it was being discussed during the Olympics.

she did a good job, we thank her. good time to walk away. and time for some new blood

Clydefrog

wow. what a record. she was a great coach

xbhaskarx

wow. what a record. she was a great coach
It's pretty much the type of record you expect from the USWNT coach... most of the rest of the world didn't care about women's soccer until a few years ago and aside from maybe Japan they're still playing catchup. It's sort of the opposite of the USMNT situation...

gutshot

Terrence Boyd has scored another two goals for his club team today. He is on FIRE. Can't wait to get him into a Nat shirt. Hope his recent run of form can continue into WCQ.

Nesotenso

Whoa @ Guzan staring. 1-1 draw at Newcastle isn't bad. How did he do?

seemed good, made some great saves. The goal from Ben Arfa was a scorcher and most people wouldn't save it. I think he gave justification to start over Given for the next one as well.

Boyd played well too.

Did Ream get called up to the qualifiers ?

xbhaskarx

Boyd is on fire...

No Chandler callup according to Nuremberg. Now all that's left to see is whether Klinsmann didn't call him or he declined, of it's the latter it's time to forget about him. At least Lichaj is playing now...

xbhaskarx

Klinsmann announces US roster for World Cup qualifiers
September 2, 2012

GOALKEEPERS (4) : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa/England), Tim Howard (Everton/England), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander/Spain), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/England), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover/Germany), Maurice Edu (Stoke City/England), Clarence Goodson (Brondby/Denmark), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim/Germany), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis/Mexico), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland/Denmark), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City/England)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/Mexico), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04/Germany), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Jose Torres (Pachuca/Mexico), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim/Germany), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4 ): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar/Netherlands), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna/Austria), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur/England), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna/Mexico)

xbhaskarx

"Also included in the released roster was potential senior debutant Josh Gatt, who plays for Molde in Norway. The 21-year-old Michigan native, however, was later ruled out due to an injury picked up in Molde's 4-1 loss to Brann in league play."

Gatt needs to stay healthy so we can see him with the national team. This would have been an ideal time given Jamaica's speed and Donovan's injury...

Is Goodson still playing regularly for you guys? I really am starting to develop a passionate hate for him, if only he spent half the energy he does complaining to the medias and refs on actually playing football he might be a half decent defender.

xbhaskarx

I find Goodson to be rather unimpressive. He's tall and good for the occasional header but that's about it. He gets outmuscled almost as badly as Tim Ream. For a while he was a starting CB for us due to injuries and the next group of CBs not being quite ready yet, but hopefully that's no longer the case... still he's probably third on the depth chart on this current roster.

daegan

Kind of wish Deuce wasn't in these games so he could start working his way in at Spurs but these do count and we need our best...

gutshot

Kind of wish Deuce wasn't in these games so he could start working his way in at Spurs but these do count and we need our best...

Do the club teams even train together over international break? I was under the impression that it's like a bye week in the NFL, everyone just goes home for a week.

gutshot

It's game day. Viewing info for those who may not be following this thread religiously:

The U.S. Men’s National Team’s FIFA World Cup Qualifier on Sept. 7 in Kingston, Jamaica, will be broadcast in the United States by beIN SPORT with coverage beginning at 7 p.m. ET. (Read More on World Cup Qualifying TV Rights)

beIN SPORT is available on the following service providers:

• DIRECTV Channel 620 in HD
  • DISH Channel 408
  • Comcast Xfinity TV providers on a market-by-market basis

The match will also be shown at Official U.S. Soccer Bars throughout the nation. For the Official Bar nearest you, visit here: http://www.ussoccer.com/Community/Official-Bar-Program-2.aspx

I have Comcast, but not beIN SPORT, so I will have to call around to see if I can find a bar in my area that will be playing the game.

NH Apache

Banned
It's game day. Viewing info for those who may not be following this thread religiously:

I have Comcast, but not beIN SPORT, so I will have to call around to see if I can find a bar in my area that will be playing the game.

Not available to Cox and no "official" bars in Louisiana. Awesome.

gutshot

Not available to Cox and no "official" bars in Louisiana. Awesome.

Even if there aren't any official bars in your area, you can still call around to your local sports bars. If they have DirecTV or DISH with the full sports package, and most sports bars do, they should be able to get beIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom