• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

San Diego fans go crazy over Tijuana’s first soccer team

Alejandro Guido ‏@aeguido
5 Americanos baby! Liga mx Champions!!!! gmgarza @JoeCorona15 castillo, stevie! http://instagr.am/p/SxYf6BGyJi/

0acee8a43d3711e2b3e122000a1f9a4f_7.jpg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Michael Parkhurst has signed with FC Augsburg who are currently at the bottom of the bundesliga table. Hopefully he can help them stay in the Bundesliga.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
January camp roster:

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION – Detailed Roster
GOALKEEPERS (3): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)
DEFENDERS (9): Steven Beitashour (San Jose Earthquakes), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), A.J. DeLaGarza (LA Galaxy), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Connor Lade (New York Red Bulls), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Justin Morrow (San Jose Earthquakes), Jeff Parke (Philadelphia Union)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (out of contract), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Joshua Gatt (Molde), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Edson Buddle (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Nesotenso

thought Jermaine Jones would be in if he is still suspended. Gold Cup Squad will be made up of these MLS guys.

Zusi and Agudelo are both reportedly training with West Ham for a week. So they will join after a week.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
thought Jermaine Jones would be in if he is still suspended. Gold Cup Squad will be made up of these MLS guys.

Zusi and Agudelo are both reportedly training with West Ham for a week. So they will join after a week.

Per Bigsoccer:

Rob Stone:
Nick Rimando would have been called in but still nursing a shoulder injury.
Jermaine Jones and Maurice Edu may called in later.
No Brek Shea due to a toe injury.
Alan Gordon and Chris Pontius with groin injuries.

January camp roster:

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION – Detailed Roster
GOALKEEPERS (3): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)
DEFENDERS (9): Steven Beitashour (San Jose Earthquakes), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), A.J. DeLaGarza (LA Galaxy), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Connor Lade (New York Red Bulls), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Justin Morrow (San Jose Earthquakes), Jeff Parke (Philadelphia Union)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (out of contract), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Joshua Gatt (Molde), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Edson Buddle (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

pretty underwhelmed by actual roster...i was really excited for it before it was announced. lot of guys on there I am surprised are included instead of others. oh and I'm forza inter on bigsoccer, if any of you are on there too. hoping for mix and a few others to step up into big stage coming out of this camp.

Nesotenso

USMNT update:

The first home WCQ will be played at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Colorado.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/15/usmnt-play-first-wcq-dicks-sporting-goods-park

Playing at altitude will probably help playing against Mexico at Azteca 4 days later.

Also Stuart Holden finally got first team minutes when he came off the bench for Bolton against Sunderland in an FA cup match. It has been a long, tough road for him. I hope he has a good spring to get a shot at the Gold Cup squad

daoster

So exciting to see Stuart back...and just a testament of his quality, as the only playing time before this was for the reserve squad last week!

gutshot

Taylor Twellman and Ives Galarcep reporting that Stoke City has made a $3 million transfer offer to FC Dallas for Brek Shea. Would be great to get that kid playing in the EPL.

Nesotenso

Makes no sense that Stoke would want him, you mean?

yeah. He didn't do much last season. Had surgery in November and I think the recovery is not over so he was not called by Klinsmann. Shea is the last guy I would expect to make the jump right now. But he has promise and if he goes, I hope he matures and gets better as a player.

gutshot

yeah. He didn't do much last season. Had surgery in November and I think the recovery is not over so he was not called by Klinsmann. Shea is the last guy I would expect to make the jump right now. But he has promise and if he goes, I hope he matures and gets better as a player.

I knew he had a down year last year, but didn't realize he as injured too. I guess Stoke is hoping to get him cheap and hope he blossoms under them and they can resell him later? Maybe Cameron or Edu talked him up to Stoke management and they decided to take a flyer on him?

USMNT update:

The first home WCQ will be played at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Colorado.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/15/usmnt-play-first-wcq-dicks-sporting-goods-park

Playing at altitude will probably help playing against Mexico at Azteca 4 days later.

Also Stuart Holden finally got first team minutes when he came off the bench for Bolton against Sunderland in an FA cup match. It has been a long, tough road for him. I hope he has a good spring to get a shot at the Gold Cup squad
True. Here's hoping that helps. I'd love nothing more than to get a WCQ win down there.

Nesotenso

saw the match, Clint was poor for most of the match really. But getting a late equalizer was great. Clint, at his best, is an effective poacher always at the right spot.

Michael Bradley is the one who has looked more consistent and improved to me since he joined Roma.

Clydefrog

Clint rescued a point for Spurs todaY!!!

ifEwmC7CEe1nG.gif

United fans must hate Dempsey and that makes me so happy :)

I still gotta buy a Dempsey spurs jersey...

saw the match, Clint was poor for most of the match really. But getting a late equalizer was great. Clint, at his best, is an effective poacher always at the right spot.

Michael Bradley is the one who has looked more consistent and improved to me since he joined Roma.

I was such a M.Bradley criticizer in the past (and not only because he was the coaches son) but I am really impressed with how he has matured into a smart player. Can't wait to see him this year in our WCQs

daoster

I don't think Clint was poor. Certainly wasn't the best player (had a couple of bad passes), but he was working hard and getting involved. Average is what I'd call him, if he didn't score that goal, obviously.

gutshot

Jurgen Klinsmann talks the "24/7" philosophy and what it takes to be a great footballer...

When you talk about 24/7, it’s that you’re accountable for what you eat, accountable for how you sleep, how you live your live, how serious you take your job. You’re accountable for what you do with your money, choosing your agent, choosing your girlfriend or your wife. All that stuff. Ultimately, it will all affect your performance. That’s why, big teams around the world, they try to kind of overcontrol, maybe. With La Masia at Barcelona, they think about everything. They hire an amazing chef to make sure they eat all gluten-free [laughs]. Or whatever. I don’t know.

The stage where we are with soccer in this country, and also the stage with a lot of American players that are actually in Europe, is a stage where there’s a lot of education still necessary. A lot of them were not introduced — and it’s not their fault — they were not introduced yet to what it means to perform consistently on their own personal highest level. They think: “What I do off the field is no big deal. I know how to perform on the field.” But they can’t read themselves yet, and say: “You know what? That was only an 80-percent performance.” The player thinks it was a good performance. I come as a coach and say, “No that was not good enough.”

They were not benchmarked, really, in the past, and that’s why I came in and said: “Your benchmark should be higher. Clint Dempsey, your benchmark should be a championship team. That’s your benchmark, not Fulham.” All due respect to Fulham, obviously. Wherever you are right now, that’s not really your benchmark. If you really want to become a so-called exceptional player, your goal should be a Champions League team. Your goal should be, within a Champions League team, to become a leader. Your goal should be winning a competition like that. At the end of the day, you want to get to the World Cup and get a couple of rounds further than you ever did before. That’s the level of the Champions League. If you want to go to the World Cup quarter or semifinal one day, you’ve got to perform with the best out there. And the best out there play the Champions League in Europe.

We’re just trying to give them the message, every time they come into camp, don’t look at other people. Don’t look at your coaches. Don’t look at your agent. Don’t look at your family. They don’t make you a better player. I try to give you as much as I can. But I’m not playing for you. You’ve got to make the decision, if you shoot, if you dribble, if you pass. I can tell you, “This is what we would like to do.” But at the end of the day, you’re in charge. You’re in the driver’s seat.

I think, because we do not have the sense of accountability like maybe baseball, basketball or football, where they’re constantly in the light of the media, of society, they don’t sense being accountable for it. So we talk about it every day, consistency and what consistency means. Consistency doesn’t mean to me, give me one good game and take three games off and live off that one good game. Messi’s not living off one good game. Cristiano Ronaldo isn’t doing it. Xavi is not doing it. The big players around the world, they’re not living off one good game, because they are eager to perform at exactly the same level the next game. They’re never content.

The soccer environment within our American system is too easily content. People give them too early the feeling of being content. So if it’s: “I make it into M.L.S. I made it.” I always say, “You haven’t made [expletive].” So, go to Europe. Great. We’re all happy for you. But, still, playing in Europe, so what? You play in the Premier League, you play in Holland, you play in Italy? Yeah, I’m happy for you. But, so? There, become a leader, become a better player, move up to a bigger club, become their leader, and so on. We’re trying to tell them, “Never ever be content in what you’re doing.” Then you lose that complete inner hunger. Maybe it’s too much money. Maybe it’s too many shoulder clappers around you. Maybe it’s an agent that tells you you’re the best player ever. The only one I would kind of agree with is Messi’s agent [laughs]. There is no such thing as ever being content.

So this whole 24/7 thing comes from, think about this 24/7. I’m not there to say when they come into camp, these are the rules. You’re an adult. If you think you need to have five beers every night, then you think that. But I’m going to see it. And if you’re not good enough, [claps his hands] then you go. Think about it and have a beer if you want to. Maybe even a second one, if you really have a good time. Maybe you should think before having a third one. If that is then the kind of moment where you don’t want to deal with that anymore, because life is too good, and you go for the third one, then I will see all the time that you’re not made for that.

It’s a professional sport for the athlete. I call it a “positive grind.” It is something absolutely fascinating and worth doing. It gives you something every day to look forward to. It gives you something to hold onto. It gives you a high quality of life. It gives you so many upsides. Are there downsides, too? Yeah. Absolutely. A lot of traveling. Stress. I think there are many elements.

But I think if you understand your job and have a will to give everything you have for your job in that way, you will look back to it one day and say, “I think I maximized it pretty much.” It can also be that you look back and say, “I had a good career, maybe won a couple of titles. But, shoot, I could have been a real good player if I understood what it takes to be a real good player.” Some of them will look back at it like that. They will look back at their careers and say, “I did this, did this, did that, you know? But at the end of the day, I maybe I did 60 to 70 percent of my potential.” They are quite a few there that will ask themselves that question in a couple of years from now.

That’s kind of the whole 24/7 topic.

I know Klinsmann isn't the best tactician but if he can improve the quality of play through motivation and changing the mindset of the American soccer player, then he was a worthwhile hire. We're already seeing the results in Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley. Hopefully more players follow suit.

Nesotenso

Altidore had a goal again in Dutch league play.

video at link:
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/altidore-scores-again-in-another-az-victory.html

He is now second in the league in scoring. Got to see the match and he was good at tracking back, having good movement and he finished the one opportunity that came his way. He is in the right form ahead of the Honduras clash. Let's hope he continues on this run for both the USMNT and AZ Alkamar. If he continues like this, he could be target for the bigger leagues in the summer.

daoster

America's Next Top Messi

With the U.S. national team poised to slog through the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualification, the state of the country's youth development program is once more in the spotlight. The squad remains overly reliant on the creative contributions of a veteran duo who served during the past two campaigns – the often absent Donovan and Dempsey. The pipeline designed to replenish their talent has been bruised by a series of high-profile embarrassments: the under-23 squad's dramatic collapse against El Salvador eliminated it from Olympic contention; the under-20s failed to qualify for the 2011 World Cup; and a vaunted under-17 squad was eliminated at the round of 16 stage of the U-17 World Cup.

Jurgen Klinsmann raised expectations on the day he became national team coach in August 2011. When asked to define his most critical priorities, the new coach said, "There are a lot of different challenges ahead of us ... the foundation is youth -- how they should be trained, how often they should train, how much time they should spend with the ball, how they should develop their talent."

In truth, efforts to build that strategic foundation began in 2007, when a United States Soccer Federation task force triggered the creation of a Development Academy system of 63 clubs nationwide (since expanded to 80) with the 19 MLS teams playing a key role. The men charged with injecting order into chaos are Tony Lepore, U.S. Soccer's development academy director of scouting, and Alfonso Mondelo and Jeff Agoos, technical directors at MLS. Despite the modest resources they have at their disposal -- the national program has an annual budget of just $2.65 million -- a conversation with the trio reveals they remain strategically focused and ambition rich.

Another great article from Roger Bennett!

NH Apache

Banned
I know y'all probably know about the game but tonight, 8pm CST, ESPN2.

USMNT vs. Maple Syrup Men

Johnson————Wondolowski————–Gatt

————————–Zusi————————–

———–Feilhaber————Beckerman———-

Morrow——Besler———-Gonzalez——Morales

————————–Hall—————————-

As projected by Ives.

Nice write up as well with the angle that this game is more important than it may seem: http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/usmnt-vs-canada-a-look-ahead.html

Clydefrog

I know y'all probably know about the game but tonight, 8pm CST, ESPN2.

USMNT vs. Maple Syrup Men

Johnson————Wondolowski————–Gatt

————————–Zusi————————–

———–Feilhaber————Beckerman———-

Morrow——Besler———-Gonzalez——Morales

————————–Hall—————————-

As projected by Ives.

Nice write up as well with the angle that this game is more important than it may seem: http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/usmnt-vs-canada-a-look-ahead.html

I'll be watching! Interesting lineup. Really unpredictable how we do :lol

Yet another goal today for Altidore (albeit in the Dutch Cup this time, not the league). Also, it apppears he was racially targeted by some classy supporters.

Nesotenso

Why is Altidore not called up yet. He deserves a second chance.

This friendly is mostly for the MLS guys as a tune up for those that will be selected from this group for the Honduras game. Jozy, like the rest of the European guys, will make up the bulk of the squad and he will be called up.

daoster

Roster:
#USMNT lineup for #USAvCAN: S. Johnson; Beltran, Gonzalez, Besler, Morrow; Beckerman ©, Zusi, Davis, Evans; Wondolowski, E. Johnson

shoplifter

Yeah, this is basically the fringe guys that might sniff the 18 with maybe a few exceptions like Beckerman and maaaaybe Zusi or EJ.

Nesotenso

(Doesn't follow much soccer, but watching this match) Is this more of the B list players to see who they want to add to the roster for real matches? Or is it a mixed bag?

b squad guys. some of these guys can be up for selection against Honduras for the WCQ. I feel there are more talented guys on the bench on this squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom