• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

https://twitter.com/DidMexicoTie

yyCSX.gif

this was a great game to watch, would have been nice to see DMB score, and some of our half chances go in to really underline the dominance showed. Cameron and Bradley were everywhere all game, was awesome to watch

Weird, I don't remember anyone bagging on Taylor Twellman during the game. what's happening??

Sadly I was streaming some channel with a delightfully competent Brit announcer. I did miss Ian Darke's 5 second pauses after a terrible Twell-quip. But yeah like methodman said the entertainment came from the field so no comments necessary.

Wow that was really well done, great positioning behind the net to capture both goals too.

If Jones can't play, Beckerman is a sensible option off the bench (has some experience, he's already in SLC) as a d-mid. The US is surprisingly light on defensive midfielders in this camp since Williams had to go home. I don't think there's any reason to play Beckerman (nor would I want him to see time), but the decision to bring him in just in case makes sense to me.

If Jones can't play, Beckerman is a sensible option off the bench (has some experience, he's already in SLC) as a d-mid. The US is surprisingly light on defensive midfielders in this camp since Williams had to go home. I don't think there's any reason to play Beckerman (nor would I want him to see time), but the decision to bring him in just in case makes sense to me.

We should agree to end all trade sanctions on Cuba in return for Ozzie Alonso's international status. Not that it would help right now with his injury

Nesotenso

Donovan's position is not the one he is looking to fill. I think Beckerman is being brought in as cover for Jones (who might not start) and Cameron. As long as Beckerman is not in the 23 going to Brazil it is fine with me.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still convinced Beckerman has nude photos of Klinnsman or something so he can blackmail him into calling him up every time. Can we ever have a coach that doesn't love a couple mediocre players?

DominoKid

Damn I wish we were in the confederations cup. It was so close, we had a 2-0 lead Then Mexico scored like 4 unanswered.

I remember that game. There was nothing close about it. Even when we were 2 up I knew we were going to get creamed because Mexico was on fire that day. I couldnt even be mad because they fucking styled on us.

methodman

Banned
I remember that game. There was nothing close about it. Even when we were 2 up I knew we were going to get creamed because Mexico was on fire that day. I couldnt even be mad because they fucking styled on us.
That is true. Dos Santos looked like Messi in that game lol

Some reading material and information on tonight's World Cup Qualifier:

================================
U.S. Men
vs. Honduras
Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
June 18, 2013 @ 7 p.m. MT
ESPN, WatchESPN, UniMas

The USMNT faces off against Honduras tonight from Sandy, Utah. Weather looks very warm at over 90 degrees when the game kicks off, but the crowd is a sellout that will overwhelmingly support the US team.

The lineup is likely to be very similar to the last few, but there will be a few small tweaks. Jermaine Jones has recovered from his concussion and will probably start with Bradley in the center midfield putting Cameron on the bench. Beasley is sitting out a one game suspension for yellow card accumulation, and most likely Castillo will play left back with Fabian Johnson remaining at the left wing position. Look for Graham Zusi to return on the right wing after completing his suspension. Probable lineup: Howard; Evans, Gonzalez, Besler, Castillo; Bradley; Zusi, Dempsey, F. Johnson; Altidore.

Honduras is struggling with numerous suspensions and injuries heading into this match. They'll be missing 3-4 starters plus a few other guys that contribute off the bench. More on that in the last link below: "Honduras hobbling into World Cup qualifier vs. U.S."

This is a good opportunity for the US to assert themselves and possibly stretch out their lead at the top of the Hex table. With a win tonight, the US would be within 3-4 points of clinching a World Cup spot with 4 games remaining.

Links:

The Shin Guardian Preview:
http://theshinguardian.com/2013/06/16/assault-lake-city-tsgs-official-usa-vs-honduras-preview/

Grant Wahl's Preview for SI:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/so...nduras-preview-world-cup-qualifying-concacaf/

American Soccer News' Tactical Preview:
http://americansoccernow.com/articles/asn-tactical-preview-united-states-vs-honduras

Yanks Abroad Preview:
http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=shortcorner&entry=399

Castillo must step up in Beasley's absence vs. Honduras
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/usnationalteam/id/112?cc=5901

Timing could be right as U.S. hosts Honduras
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/soccerusa/id/2756?cc=5901

Honduras hobbling into World Cup qualifier vs. U.S.
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/soccerusa/id/2741?cc=5901

Clydefrog

It's a tough choice to leave Cameron on the bench after his last game. Hopefully things go well and JK doesn't have to mix things up in midfield / left back. Zusi better deliver!

xbhaskarx

Yikes, Castillo starting at LB scares me. I would have moved Fabian Johnson to LB and put someone else (not Brad Davis) in the midfield...

As far as Cameron is concerned, he does deserve another start after his performance last game, but Bradley and Jones are locks when healthy. Meanwhile, Omar Gonzalez is averaging like two major mental lapses per game... so why not try a CB pairing of Besler - Cameron?

Nesotenso

Yikes, Castillo starting at LB scares me. I would have moved Fabian Johnson to LB and put someone else (not Brad Davis) in the midfield...

As far as Cameron is concerned, he does deserve another start after his performance last game, but Bradley and Jones are locks when healthy. Meanwhile, Omar Gonzalez is averaging like two major mental lapses per game... so why not try a CB pairing of Besler - Cameron?

Apparently Castillo was very good for Tijuana and performed well in the Copa Libertadores, so if he impressed in training he will get at the start at LB. Johnson likes to be up field anyway. I hope he impresses, Beasley seems to be a bit too fragile.

The Fabian Johnson to LB move is certainly possible. Presumably Klinsmann would put Eddie Johnson on the left if he goes that way(?) I based the probable lineup on what a few of the journalists were guessing after they attended press conferences and practice this week, but Klinsmann could always go in a different direction. We'll find out in about an hour.

xbhaskarx

Apparently Castillo was very good for Tijuana and performed well in the Copa Libertadores, so if he impressed in training he will get at the start at LB.

I know Castillo has done well with Tijuana and I'm fine with him. As the backup LB. To Fabian Johnson who should be the starting LB.
Beasley is a winger not a fullback, he has no idea what he's doing back there, his defensive positioning is horrible, he gets outmuscled far too easily, and falls down once every two minutes.
I just hope Klinsmann sees Beasley/Evans as band aids and not as permanent solutions....

Nesotenso

#USMNT StartingXI: Howard; Evans, Gonzalez, Besler, F.Johnson; Bradley, Jones; Zusi, Dempsey(c), E.Johnson; Altidore

Guess he doesn't trust Castillo at LB. Hope Fabian goes forward at times because he seems more effective when he does. Evans is definitely temporary. Healthy Chandler/Cherundolo are way ahead of him.

A few more things...

Honduras lineup: Valladares; Peralta, Colón, Montes, Izaguirre; Claros, Palacios; M. Martínez, Espinoza, Najar; Costly.

US bench: Castillo, Beckerman, Boyd, Corona, Holden, Guzan, Davis, Parkhurst, Kljestan, Cameron, Goodson, Rimando

US players carrying yellow cards that will be suspended if they take another tonight: Altidore, Bradley, Besler, Cameron, Davis, Dempsey, Evans, Howard, F. Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom