• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

methodman

Banned
That was a solid qualifying win man. Damn. Now time to get back Landon, I'll definitely be watching as much of the gold cup as possible . There's definitely a spot on the starting 11 where he can play imo.

xbhaskarx

Basically one win out of the next four games and we're through, that's all we need to get to 16 points. And we still have Jamaica at home. In other words, it's all over. Request time off work. Call your travel agent.

ZZMitch

Just realized I am going to miss most of the Gold Cup. Going to be on a two week long canoe expedition in the Canadian Artctic from the July 3rd to the 20th. Will be back in time for the last few games, hope to see the US there! I expect we will get through to the semifinals easy enough.

Clydefrog

Basically one win out of the next four games and we're through, that's all we need to get to 16 points. And we still have Jamaica at home. In other words, it's all over. Request time off work. Call your travel agent.

I'm going to start a thread soon about going to Brazil next year (because I don't see any other GAF threads labeled "going to the World Cup?"). I can't wait!

Clydefrog

I would love to hear about your plans and live vicariously through you!

I'm planning to be there for the first round. But it's so hard to plan because a) will USA be there, and b) where will they play? I missed out on the American Outlaws support group (wow, it sold out fast) so I'm basically on my own.

I feel like I'll be a vagabond in Brazil, which is not a good thing. I have two college friends who want to join me but only for a week. The other week I might be flying solo. Hence the need for a GAF thread!

daoster

I'm going to start a thread soon about going to Brazil next year (because I don't see any other GAF threads labeled "going to the World Cup?"). I can't wait!

how much money are you expecting to spend...after watching a couple of the confederations cup games.. seriously consider doing a trip like this

Heretic

I'm planning to be there for the first round. But it's so hard to plan because a) will USA be there, and b) where will they play? I missed out on the American Outlaws support group (wow, it sold out fast) so I'm basically on my own.

I feel like I'll be a vagabond in Brazil, which is not a good thing. I have two college friends who want to join me but only for a week. The other week I might be flying solo. Hence the need for a GAF thread!

i might be going too for at least game 2 of the first round.

gutshot

This is the kind of win that good teams have to secure from time to time. When you're not at your best, when luck isn't on your side, can you still get the 3 points? I feel like earlier in this cycle, this would have been a game where Honduras scored a cheap goal and the US would have been lucky to escape with a point. But the team responded to Klinnsman's pleas to continue to push the tempo and were rewarded with a goal and a win. Good to see.

Now, on to the Gold Cup!

daoster

So watching the Italy-Japan game yesterday @ the Confederations Cup, I wonder why we don't play the stronger Asian countries in friendlies more.

The game was exhilarating, and it's hard to imagine us putting 3 goals past Italy the way Japan did yesterday. (Of course, 4 years ago, it was hard to see US beating the European Champions, so...*shrugs*)

But yeah, teams like S. Korea or Japan, I think, would be a good measure of our skill, in addition to the strong European and S. American teams.

Or is it because the federation doesn't think they can make money off of these games?

Clydefrog

how much money are you expecting to spend...after watching a couple of the confederations cup games.. seriously consider doing a trip like this

This is tempting for me and a buddy. Especially after 2022 went to Qatar.

The cost would be insane, though

yep the costs are ... well, costly. But I'm willing to spend as much as necessary; I see this as a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I've been saving up for the past 2 years so I'm not too worried about the finances.

Chris R

I'd consider going, but man if Brazil doesn't seem a touch unstable these past few weeks. Odds are it will all be quite by the time the WC rolls around but who really knows?

That and I'm piss poor and don't even have a passport means I'd never make the trip anyways :p

CobbFC09

USWNT playing South Korea right now on NBC Sports Network. Wambach just scored her 157th goal, now just 1 away from Mia Hamm's all-time international record of 158.

daoster

Congrats to Abby!! USWNT does what USMNT can't...be a world power :(

Damn, I'm loving this summer as far as international soccer goes.....USMNT qualifiers, seeing Mexico struggle @ Confederations Cup, USWNT friendlies, and Gold Cup soon.

Also, the U20 USMNT takes on Spain today at the U20 World Cup. 2PM ET on ESPN2 and Univision Deportes.

Taking place in Turkey. FIFA has a knack for holding these events at places experiencing social unrest huh.

Nesotenso

Congrats to Abby!! USWNT does what USMNT can't...be a world power :(

Damn, I'm loving this summer as far as international soccer goes.....USMNT qualifiers, seeing Mexico struggle @ Confederations Cup, USWNT friendlies, and Gold Cup soon.

Also, the U20 USMNT takes on Spain today at the U20 World Cup. 2PM ET on ESPN2 and Univision Deportes.

Taking place in Turkey. FIFA has a knack for holding these events at places experiencing social unrest huh.

there is no way anyone can compare both

Pressuring with a high defensive line was always going to be a gamble for the US U-20 team against Spain, but their options are limited with how many guys they're missing in the back line.

Nice goal for Gil there.

Nesotenso

Pressuring with a high defensive line was always going to be a gamble for the US U-20 team against Spain, but their options are limited with how many guys they're missing in the back line.

Nice goal for Gil there.

shows the value of starting for an MLS team all this time. Gil, Yedlin and Villareal will play for the senior team one day. Yedlin and Gil should be called up for the Gold Cup. Yedlin is a RB with actual speed.

Meier

Nice goal for Gil there.

Yeah, coming in I knew we'd be like lambs to slaughter with Jese and Deulofeu leading their attack. Jese was the 2nd best scorer in the Segunda Division in Spain last year and Deulofeu was in the tied for 4th. Oliver played quite a few games for Atletico's senior side despite only being 18 and is a target of Manchester City's.

I was impressed by the US over the first 40 minutes.. honestly, the level of creativity was something we don't even see from the senior team. We were able to retain possession well which limited their chances to counter, but then they started killing our high line and that was that. The third goal was the most disappointing because it seemed like the team had just given up on that play and were content to coast into HT or something. The LB was nowhere to be found.

Yedlin impressed despite being beat by Deulofeu a few times -- anyone would be including plenty of players at a Senior level. He is Messi's heir apparent. Gil looked quite good and that goal was quite impressive.

shows the value of starting for an MLS team all this time. Gil, Yedlin and Villareal will play for the senior team one day. Yedlin and Gil should be called up for the Gold Cup. Yedlin is a RB with actual speed.

I agree in that I want Yedlin on the senior team, but disagree in that I want him playing for the Sounders.

Meier

Well, I can't imagine we'll beat France but hopefully it'll be a closer match. They're absolutely stacked and have two of the best young, physical central midfielders in the world in Pogba and Kondogbia. On top of that, they have Areola who is an absurdly promising young keeper and Umtiti scored maybe the best goal in the world in this past season (vs Spurs in the Europa League). Digne and Sanogo are also great young talents.

Yeah, it just started a few minutes ago. ESPN3 is carrying it.

U.S. starters: 1-Cropper; 2-Yedlin, 5-O’Neill, 14-Torre, 3-Ocegueda; 8-Joya, 6-Trapp (c); 11-Villarreal, 10-Gil, 9-Rodriguez; 19-Hernandez

I'm hoping for a better showing today than last week vs Spain. Even if they get worked, it's a good experience for the US kids. As Grant Wahl pointed out on Twitter last week:
Would rather US U20s play in tough group like this. Good for growth & to prevent self-satisfied attitude often seen in US youth players.

Meier

Same exact problem as last game. The US get up to the attacking third and then just absolutely shit the bed. Not sure what the deal is.. they're like a deer in headlights. Put it into the box, do something. They just give away possession without even attempting to create. Just dither about and then end up passing backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom