• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Yedlin just did the same damn thing. Our attackers are making great runs to get into the box.. fire off a shot!

My stream is pretty bad - looks like an 8-bit video game.

If I ever go to a different tab then it turns to shit (video quality goes to 1 out of 5), but if I go back and reload then it gets clear again. Have this issue every time with WatchESPN. It never gets better w/o a refresh.

Goal! US is playing better now. Nice to finally see a sense of urgency from them.
If I ever go to a different tab then it turns to shit (video quality goes to 1 out of 5), but if I go back and reload then it gets clear again. Have this issue every time with WatchESPN. It never gets better w/o a refresh.
Yeah, I have that problem, too, though it's just been bad even in the front tab this morning. Not sure what the issue is with our network here.

Meier

Woohoo! Really clever set piece.

Great result, was quite nervous coming in due to France's clear physical advantage. Nice job by the team to hang tough. Digne is a nightmare on the left.. those poison balls into the box remind me of Aleks Kolarov. Sign him up, Manuel!

Good result for the US. Sounds like a few of the 3rd place teams advance to the knockouts, so they should be able to get in with a win against Ghana. (Why is it always Ghana?)
Yedlin is still raw but with more seasoning at Seattle he should improve his game.
He's been playing well at Seattle and for the U20 team. Exciting prospect; bad haircut.

gutshot

Good result for the US. Sounds like a few of the 3rd place teams advance to the knockouts, so they should be able to get in with a win against Ghana. (Why is it always Ghana?)
He's been playing well at Seattle and for the U20 team. Exciting prospect; bad haircut.

This whole group has been like the 2006 WC. Get crushed in the first game, hard fought draw with a European power in the second, play Ghana for a chance to advance in the third. Hopefully the baby Yanks fair better than that senior team did.

His old bad haircut was way better than his new bad haircut is. I think this kid is awesome. He definitely makes some mistakes out there, rookie mistakes, because he's a rookie. He gets some more games under his belt, and he'll be one of the best right backs in MLS, at least

Meier

Watched about 70 minutes of the Ghana-Spain game and I'm afraid we should be worried. Spain sat back in the second half and just killed the clock but Ghana looked very dangerous on attack. Frank Acheampong is definitely one to watch out for as is Richmond Boakye. Acheampong is built quite sturdily despite being fairly short. Boakye is a big, tall dude who looks a lot like Sanogo does in terms of stature.

I could definitely see us losing.

daoster

American and DAMN proud of it!

So supposedly, tomorrow, the final roster for US Gold Cup comes out. Anxious to see who's on that final roster.

4 years and 1 day ago, the USA shocked the world by beating the European Champions, Spain at the Confederations Cup in South Africa. I know ultimately, the Confederations Cup is a meaningless tournament, but gottdamn...that was an awesome moment for a USA fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S58rstMhKK8

CobbFC09

American and DAMN proud of it!

So supposedly, tomorrow, the final roster for US Gold Cup comes out. Anxious to see who's on that final roster.

4 years and 1 day ago, the USA shocked the world by beating the European Champions, Spain at the Confederations Cup in South Africa. I know ultimately, the Confederations Cup is a meaningless tournament, but gottdamn...that was an awesome moment for a USA fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S58rstMhKK8
Doug McIntyre, an ESPN USMNT Insider tweeted that Jurgen Klinsmann is expected to the Gold Cup group stage roster on Thursday.

EDIT: SI.com is reporting that Landon Donovan will be on it.

methodman

Banned
Man, that 2009 team was probably our best recent squad. charlie davis :(... this 2013 one could be even better if donovan gets back on the squad IMO.

bradley and altidore have gone through a huge improvement.

US faces off against Ghana in the U20 World Cup in around 3 hours. If they win, they're pretty much guaranteed a spot in the knockout rounds.

The condensed Gold Cup lineup for the group games will be out in about an hour.

- Klinsmann Names 23-Player Roster to Compete in 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8) : Corey Ashe (Houston Dynamo), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Oguchi Onyewu (Malaga), Michael Orozco Fiscal (Puebla), Michael Parkhurst (FC Augsburg)

MIDFIELDERS (7) : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Helsinborg), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Joshua Gatt (Molde FK), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jose Torres (Tigres)

FORWARDS (5) : Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Club Tijuana), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

EDIT:
- Klinsmann quotes on the roster

Hmm...looks like Bocanegra's tenure with the USMNT is truly done?
Might be. Supposedly he was injured recently, so that might also be the reason. Grant Wahl mentioned something about Gomez, Wondo, and Boca being questionable due to injuries. I guess the former two came through their tests ok.

Meier

Rodriguez shit the bed. No way he shouldn't have buried that. At a minimum get a shot off that actually has a modicum of power behind it....

Meier

Watched about 70 minutes of the Ghana-Spain game and I'm afraid we should be worried. Spain sat back in the second half and just killed the clock but Ghana looked very dangerous on attack. Frank Acheampong is definitely one to watch out for as is Richmond Boakye. Acheampong is built quite sturdily despite being fairly short. Boakye is a big, tall dude who looks a lot like Sanogo does in terms of stature.

I could definitely see us losing.

Afraid I was right on target with this one. :( If Rodriguez had been able to score that 1st one when he was all alone after beating his defender, we might have had a chance.. but he just shinned it completely and wasted the chance.

Meier

Fuck me you have to score off that. The US have no one who can score outside of Gil. Terrible up front.

Edit: Yeah! O'Neill makes up for missing the sitter before with a nice header. I am not a fan of short corners 90% of the time but that was well done.

Meier

It's strange because Villarreal has been good for LAG, but he looks really passive for the US.

I liked it when he dropped the hammer on that long range shot in the 1st half but other than that, there has been a severe lack of killer instinct. Acheampong just beasted Gil off the ball. He's a special player.

Wow, that looked like a near penalty and it's somehow against the US? Crazy call by the ref.

Welp, this has been ugly for a while, but now it's getting really ugly.

Hope these guys can learn something from the tournament. It'd be nice if a couple of them eventually panned out for the full team.

Meier

Tab Ramos should be out of a job

Not to say I disagree necessarily, but honestly, the team is not very talented (or at least didn't show it in the tournament). They showed some decent quality technically in the first half of the Spanish game but I think that was more due to the fact that Spain was playing pretty wide open. The defenders were frequently burned and there is a clear lack of ability to finish from the forwards -- in each game we saw possessions just utterly die when they got to the final third.

France is big and muscular but lacked a bit of pace and played with the lone striker which seemed to help us. I'm amazed at how poor the midfield was for the US in the game today though -- that is ultimately where almost all of the goals started. Really poor.

Clydefrog

Onyewu played a match!!!

cAKUeGv.jpg

in Steve Nash's charity match... oh well he is still a beast

itlw2Sa.png

daoster

Lots of rumblings this morning that Sunderland are in transfer negotiations with AZ over Altidore. Greg Seltzer over at noshortcorners.com probably has the best info, and he posts short blog blurbs when anything happens.

Gah. Dunno if I want him there. Maybe another year in Holland (with a bigger club) and then he goes elsewhere! (Italy? Germany?)

Gah. Dunno if I want him there. Maybe another year in Holland (with a bigger club) and then he goes elsewhere! (Italy? Germany?)
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about it, too. They might be relegation threatened again, and I don't know how well he's going to do with their style of play.
Seltzer is the best when it comes to transfer news for Yanks.
He gets the best info from Europe. Would be nice if he used Twitter, but his blog is so good that it doesn't matter much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom