• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US is back in action tonight in a pre-Gold Cup tuneup friendly against Guatemala.

USA vs. GUATEMALA
Friday, July 5, 2013, 11 pm ET
Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, Calif.
Watch on NBCSN, UniMas

Klinsmann will most likely use something very close to his best 11 to try and generate some chemistry before the Gold Cup starts.

Here's the current roster. Note that the US is allowed to make four roster changes after the group games. Beasley will be serving as captain, and Josh Gatt has been scratched from the roster with a knee injury.
GOALKEEPERS (3): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): Corey Ashe (Houston Dynamo), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Michael Orozco Fiscal (Puebla), Michael Parkhurst (FC Augsburg)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Helsinborg), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jose Torres (Tigres)

FORWARDS (5): Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Club Tijuana), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Previews:

USMNT vs. Guatemala | International Friendly Preview
http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/ne...t-vs-guatemala-international-friendly-preview

Gold Cup importance not lost on Holden, Torres
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/usnationalteam/id/177?cc=5901

Gold Cup: USMNT's Jurgen Klinsmann expects "tricky" test from Guatemala friendly
http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/ne...nsmann-expects-tricky-test-guatemala-friendly

Donovan Must Prove His Worth Once Again
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jul/05/tp-donovan-must-prove-his-worth-once-again/

Gold Cup could be golden opportunity for U.S. soccer players
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...pportunity-us-soccer-20130704,0,3950276.story

Eh, not really feeling that move. He found a better league to play in, but they might be fighting to not get relegated next year, and I don't know how that'll impact his development and playing time.

xbhaskarx

Players I have little to no interest in seeing...
#USMNT Lineup for #USAvGUA: Rimando; Parkhurst, Onyewu, Goodson, Beasley ©; Beckerman, Torres; Corona, Donovan, Castillo; Gomez
(Beasley at LB, Castillo as a winger)

Lots of the more interesting stories are on the bench, but I'm not too surprised to see a veteran lineup out there if this is more or less the same 11 that will start the Gold Cup next week.

xbhaskarx

I'm usually down on Torres but that was a great ball on the goal, probably his best play with the national team since he took a nice free kick against Slovenia in the World Cup.

xbhaskarx

Torres over Castillo on the left and Diskerud in the middle with Holden
I'm still not sold on Torres, that will take more than one nice play every three years. I don't think he's fast enough or physical enough or defensive enough. Beckerman had some decent passes tonight as well but he's not fast / mobile enough for this level either...

Shea over Castillo on the left (Castillo at LB where his bad passing isn't as big an issue) and Diskerud and Holden in the middle. I'm not sure Shea is 100% back yet but he's already a better option than any winger in our pool aside from Fabian Johnson (who I think should be our starting LB).

Nesotenso

I'm still not sold on Torres, that will take more than one nice play every three years. I don't think he's fast enough or physical enough or defensive enough.

Shea over Castillo on the left (Castillo at LB) and Diskerud and Holden in the middle. I'm not sure Shea is 100% back yet but he's already a better option than any winger in our pool aside from Fabian Johnson (who I think should be our starting LB).

I didn't suggest Shea because he is going back to Stoke.

I think there are 4 or 5 roster spots up for grabs for Brazil if every one is healthy.

For this GC, Holden and Mix should get the start. Corona should be on the right and LD should be the second forward.

xbhaskarx

Man Shea is making some mistakes but he is still a beast out there, physically he's like a man among boys, it's like when some kid on a youth team reaches puberty before everyone else.

methodman

Banned
Biggest whupping since... Donovan almost singlehandedly dismantled Scotland 5-1?

nah not cuz the score, just the overall depth we are finally beginning to have. and if holden is actually healthy, him and donovan can actually start for the nat team. that is two difference makers that should be in the lineup imo.

Nesotenso

Clearly Donovan should be as close to goal as possible, as if we needed more proof of that. But so should Dempsey. But we also have Altidore as the 9. How do we fit all three guys up front?

was talking about the GC as a 2nd forward. His versatilty at both postions is great if we need to sub Demps anytime.

Ideally I would have Zusi/ Donovan on the flanks and have FJ at LB. if we need more offense in a game situation, push FJ up front and put Beasley at LB. If he stays healthy DMB should be in the 23.

Jones can be inconsistent and yellow card machine. so it would be great to have cover with guys like Mix and Holden.

That was fun. Tough to draw too many conclusions given how unmotivated Guatemala looked, but the US did great after the first half hour. Lots of interesting choices for Klinsmann moving forward into the Gold Cup. I assume the backline and goalie selections are more or less locked in, and presumably Gomez will start up top. Donovan will be in there, as well, but the two center midfield spots and the wings are up for grabs. At least they'll be able to mix up the selections during the group phase and we'll see who's performing better.

Wonderful to see Holden out on the field again. I missed that guy.
Clearly Donovan should be as close to goal as possible, as if we needed more proof of that. But so should Dempsey. But we also have Altidore as the 9. How do we fit all three guys up front?
I think that Dempsey works better closer to goal, and Donovan's better at tracking back off of the wing. I'd just put them both out there (maybe Donovan left/right and Dempsey central) and then let them interchange when appropriate.
Man Shea is making some mistakes but he is still a beast out there, physically he's like a man among boys, it's like when some kid on a youth team reaches puberty before everyone else.
Seriously. People can't handle him once he gets going on the wing. Great to see him healthy again.

Holden is awesome. Hopefully the emergence of Holden and Diskerud means we don't have to see Beckerman and his disgusting hair starting for the USMNT any time soon.

I don't expect it to be used, because no club other than Milan really uses it anymore, but I think a 4-3-1-2 would be nice for this USA squad. Donovan and Dempsey could rotate between the striker and CAM position, Altidore could remain the main center forward. This would also allow Bradley/Jones/Holden to play at the same time in their natural positions.

Again, won't happen, but that's what I would do with this squad.

Soccer Insider said:
Brek Shea named to USA Gold Cup roster, replacing Josh Gatt (Knee injury) #usmnt

D.C. United's Chris Pontius named to Gold Cup alternate list -- eligible for selection after group stage #dcu #usmnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom