• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

@MacN_ESPN said:
#USA 2-0 #MEX earned 1.9 rating, best "overnight rtg" for a non-FIFA tournament event. Previous high: 1.6 rtg 03/26 in Azteca

Perhaps not too surprising given the overall upward trend of international soccer ratings in this country, and when you combine that with the traditional US vs. Mexico boost and the amount of hype ESPN gave to this game, a new ratings record was almost a given. Still, love seeing those numbers continue to go up! The World Cup next summer is going to be HUGE.

Clydefrog

Donovan is so clutch at penalties. It must be that weird routine he does before every PK.

617064948_1ab5d3ebf9_o.jpg

edit: my roommate is funny. He gets the words "foul" and "penalty" mixed up. He's a hockey player that's why. When someone falls over in midfield he's like "oh that wasn't a penalty!!!" I have never corrected him.

methodman

Banned
Is that the highest we've ever been?

(after googling my own question, lol) wow. In 2006 we were 4th and didn't even make it out of the group stage, damn. I started following around 2008, so I didn't even know that.

Is that the highest we've ever been?

Oh wow. In 2006 we were 4th and didn't even make it out of the group stage, damn. I started following around 2008, so I didn't even know that.
Yeah, I was about to mention that. It was a fun World Cup to attend, but the games blew aside from scrapping a point against Italy.

xbhaskarx

Does that #13 ranking account for the loss against Costa Rica and the win against Mexico, or does it only go through the end of August?

Askani

Does that #13 ranking account for the loss against Costa Rica and the win against Mexico, or does it only go through the end of August?

I don't think it does? They have a calculation widget that shows the Mexico game and I don't see the Costa Rica game or the Bosnia game listed in the "points from last month" column.

gutshot

Who gets seeded? Did they have that in 2006? I thought we were ranked like 4 then and got GOD.

The host country and seven other top nations get seeds. They had seeding in '06 but it wasn't based solely on the FIFA Rankings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_seeding

In 2010, they switched it so that the top 7 teams in the FIFA world rankings got a seed. FIFA hasn't announced the seeding procedures for 2014 yet, but presumably they will stick with using the rankings.

Who gets seeded? Did they have that in 2006? I thought we were ranked like 4 then and got GOD.

Top 7 in the world rankings in the October rankings and host nation are seeded.

Since Brazil is likely to be in the Top 7, I imagine they'll include the 8th ranked team as well.

EDIT:Actually it looks like Brazil will be 8, so in this case just the top 8 teams(assuming they keep the same scheme from 2010)

daoster

So Roger Bennet interviewed Bob Bradley on the latest episode of Men in Blazers. Roger is a funny bloke, but man Bob is as serious and stoic as ever. Interesting interview though as it focuses on him as the Egyptian national coach. Can't link now cause I'm on my tablet but it should be on Grantland.

Askani

FIFA opens investigation against Costa Rica following United States match

The Costa Rican Football Federation expects a fine after fans drowned out the U.S. national anthem. But the organization's president said FIFA needs to do a better job of enforcing the rule across the board.

FIFA opened an investigation against the Costa Rican Football Federation (Fedefut), due to alleged infractions that occurred before the start of the match against the United States last Friday.

Eduardo Li, president of Fedefut, told the radio show "Encuentro Deportivo" and YashinQuesada.com that the investigation is due to loud jeers and catcalls drowning out the U.S. national anthem.

An international delegate at the match alerted FIFA to the incident. Costa Rica won the qualifier, 3-1.

"We will pay the fine, yes," Li told the radio station. "But they ought to sanction the rest of the countries that have committed the same mistake."

Costa Rican fans remained angry over a World Cup Qualifying match against the U.S. last March in Denver, Colorado. In a blizzard, the United States defeated the Ticos 1-0. Fedefut thought the match should've been postponed, but a formal protest filed to FIFA was denied due to protocol errors.

Fedefut and supporters of "La Sele," as Costa Rica's national team is known, engaged in some gamesmanship before last week's match, such as not providing official soccer balls for U.S. team practices. But those measures all appeared to fall within the bounds of what FIFA considers fair play.

However, it seems the Fedefut still will face a punishment over the U.S. trip after the home crowd violated FIFA operating procedures for respecting national anthems.

Cry more. You should learn to not be douchebags instead of saying "Bu bu bu...look at all the other douchebags!"

Link: http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/...United-States-match_Tuesday-September-10-2013

Also:

Report: FIFA investigating incident between USMNT's Matt Besler, Costa Rica's Joel Campbell

FIFA has reportedly launched an investigation of Costa Rican forward Joel Campbell over the player's feigning of foul and injury against the US national team last Friday, according to Costa Rican newspaper Al Día.

Pinto followed news that Campbell is set to be investigated with this response: "It worries me and makes me angry, because of the illegal gesture from the US of placing cameras behind the coaching staff. They can't refute that, but we shouldn't have allowed that. It's a camera that confuses the rule.

"It is an agressive and resented act from the US," Pinto continued. "I don't think Mexico is interested in anything like that, with all the problems they have on top"

When contacted on Friday by MLSsoccer.com, a U.S. Soccer spokesperson confirmed that the cameras behind the US goal that captured the incident were not illegal cameras as Pinto claimed, but instead those of U.S. Soccer communications videographers, who were given permission to shoot the match from that location by Traffic Sports for a postgame highlight package.

Of course no mention of the actual act. Just try to deflect. You're busted...get over it. Campbell will probably get something handed down from FIFA. Cameras are everywhere dude. Instead of crying foul about "illegal" cameras catching you being a cheat, maybe you shouldn't cheat in the first place.

Link: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ent-between-usmnts-matt-besler-and-costa-rica

andycapps

Who cares about the cameras? That's a side note to the thing that actually happened on the pitch.

And complaining about playing in the snow in Denver? That's peanuts compared to what they did to the US regarding practice fields and not providing official soccer balls. At least in Denver both teams had to play in the snow, and I doubt many people are used to that, no matter who they are.

That game was still one of the most memorable games I've ever seen, because of all the crazy snow.

Clydefrog

Thoughts on the captaincy:

Dempsey keeps it? My depth list for captaincy:

Dempsey (I don't like this)
Howard
Bradley
Beasley
Donovan

We can't give it to a center-back...

CobbFC09

Thoughts on the captaincy:

Dempsey keeps it? My depth list for captaincy:

Dempsey (I don't like this)
Howard
Bradley
Beasley
Donovan

We can't give it to a center-back...
I like Howard personally. Easily the most vocal guy on the field.

Jozy Altidore is starting today for Sunderland in their game against Arsenal. Kickoff is about five minutes away.

The Belize guys seemed pretty nice during the Gold Cup, but they only had like 3 pro players, so they were probably mostly just thrilled to be playing. I know I would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom