• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Egypt: fuuuuuck
PK: Should be Donovan, after that Altidore
Captain: Should be Bradley

Captain should always be a CB or GK in my opinion. They're the best at organizing a team.
I don't see the point of making a goalkeeper the captain, I think that's the WORST choice. They are organizing the team defensively regardless of whether they're captain or not. It's not like Howard remains silent unless he's wearing an armband. And if someone needs to talk to the referee at the other end of the field, it's not like they can just run over and do that.

TtRrF3k.jpg

Well yea. Did anyone expect any different? It should be Donovan and if he can't do it then Altidore.
The question they asked on Twitter was what's actually going to happen at this point given that pretty much everyone agrees that Donovan should take them. Will Dempsey step aside? Will Klinsmann ask him to? Will he just keep on taking them?

daoster

So USA to play Scotland...again...WHY?

What are teams you want to see the USA play against for friendlies, leading up to World Cup?
(In no order)
- Nigeria
- Ivory Coast
- Ghana
- Japan
- South Korea
- Chile
- Columbia
- Sweden

Clydefrog

So USA to play Scotland...again...WHY?

What are teams you want to see the USA play against for friendlies, leading up to World Cup?
(In no order)
- Nigeria
- Ivory Coast
- Ghana
- Japan
- South Korea
- Chile
- Columbia
- Sweden

is it cheating if we play Brazil in Brazil?

- Galarcep with a few thoughts on Bradley v Ghana and who the US might call up in October

This doesn’t mean Klinsmann can’t field a strong team for October’s qualifiers. He could absolutely have a team that would be significantly stronger than the teams we have seen play out the string after already qualifying in the past. Here is what one such team could look like:

GOALKEEPERS- Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando, Sean Johnson

DEFENDERS- Brad Evans, Eric Lichaj, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Clarence Goodson, John Brooks, DaMarcus Beasley, Edgar Castillo

MIDFIELDERS- Michael Bradley, Mix Diskerud, Kyle Beckerman, Sacha Kljestan, Graham Zusi, Landon Donovan, Alejandro Bedoya, Joe Corona

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Eddie Johnson, Aron Johannsson, Terrence Boyd
Klinsmann said that he wants to bring in the strongest roster possible, but it's not a bad idea to give some of the veterans a rest if they need one. That also opens up the opportunity for a few of the second string players to get some experience.

I think in October he's going to face a fair share of resistance from MLS coaches about calling players up, since we already qualified, and the MLS won't take a break, and that's right in the run up to the playoffs/shield. I know as a Sounders fan I'd really like Brad/Eddie/Dempsey to skip those qualifiers.

Also, MLS should fucking have international breaks.

xbhaskarx

I think you play your best team in KC, so the A-team gets more time together and as sort of a victory lap in front of the fans. But there's no point subjecting a lot of those guys to an away game after we've already qualified.
Panama should be to give minutes to newer guys (Brooks, Johannsson), call up those who have been out of the team recently (Agudelo, Chandler, Lichaj, Boyd), a few newcomers (Paul Arriola, Rowe?) who probably won't play, plus Diskerud starting in the midfield, Guzan starting at goalkeeper, etc.

Nooooooope:
Andrew Wiebe said:
Source close to the situation tells me Mexico has been "seriously inquiring" about international services of RSL's Luis Gil. #USMNT

Gil eligible via father, who was born in Mexico. Showed well at U-20 World Cup for US. Turnabout clearly fair play for #ElTri.

No different that an Omar Gonzalez, Gil should keep his options open. Just because #ElTri inquire doesn't mean he'll accept. Two to tango.

daoster

So not really exactly USMNT, but the Qatar 2022 decision is surely going looking to be a bigger and a bigger mess. I swear.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...ote-for-2022-winter-world-cup-in-qatar-091913

I hope the English FA and the Premiere League stand steadfast in their opposition to a winter World Cup. I hope Australia (and maybe the USA should jump along) sue FIFA if they move the event to the World Cup. I hope Fox pull out and demand their billion dollars back, and maybe that will strike fear into FIFA's heart (but I doubt it with that oil money flowing).

FUCK, I hate FIFA. I swear.

haha what's the story here

So not really exactly USMNT, but the Qatar 2022 decision is surely going looking to be a bigger and a bigger mess. I swear.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...ote-for-2022-winter-world-cup-in-qatar-091913

I hope the English FA and the Premiere League stand steadfast in their opposition to a winter World Cup. I hope Australia (and maybe the USA should jump along) sue FIFA if they move the event to the World Cup. I hope Fox pull out and demand their billion dollars back, and maybe that will strike fear into FIFA's heart (but I doubt it with that oil money flowing).

FUCK, I hate FIFA. I swear.

Qatar was bought. There's no other way that happened. It objectively should have gone to the US.

daoster

Sunderland, what a shit team.

On the bright side, Guzan was BEASTING it for Aston Villa this morning. Blocked a PK and made some crazy ass saves.

daoster

It's looking like Jozy made a mistake in going to Sunderland.

Yeap. It's funny because after being fearful for Shea and Cameron (and soon, Agudelo) at Stoke, they've been doing much, much better.

Games are only get harder from here on out for Jozy...

hom3land

Hate to ask this so early in the season but does he have an out clause if Sunderland get relegated?

Would be bittersweet if my rangers were able to bounce back up (currently top of the table!) And see jozy go down.

xbhaskarx

daoster

Two goals scored, none of them Jozy's, but apparently he was pretty active throughout the game, and was very threatening...

Still though, the ultimate measurement for a striker is the amt of goals, so...get to it, Jozy.

daoster

Bacon scored twice today against SPARTA!!!! (Rotterdam)

Apparently, it was a HAT TRICK, not two goals, according to his Facebook page.

I want to see him in the October qualifiers. We know what EJ can do. We know what Jozy can do (and Jozy should be focused on getting on the scoring sheet for Sunderland), I want to see AJ in action.

Actually, I want to see Boyd too, even though we've seen him a little already on the USMNT uniform. He's pretty much on fire in Austria lately, and there are some rumors about Italian teams and English teams being interested in him, so let's see how does now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's nice and all but what evidence is there that he could do it against mighty Jamaica?

It would be a good time to test him out. We don't have to worry about not qualifying anymore and I'm sure everyone is eager to see what he can do given some real playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom