• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

In hindsight, the Stoke City move for Shea hasn't worked out so far. Let's hope he gets loaned out to a championship side soon and gets his match fitness. Not making the 18 for the Capital Cup game gives an indication on where he stands right now.

daoster

In hindsight, the Stoke City move for Shea hasn't worked out so far. Let's hope he gets loaned out to a championship side soon and gets his match fitness. Not making the 18 for the Capital Cup game gives an indication on where he stands right now.

Was Edu in the 18 or no? His Stoke move was pretty bad too...he should have gone over to the Turkish league on a permanent basis..

Lots of news from the USMNT front this morning....

- AZ coach Gertjan Verbeek has been fired. Strange given that they're currently in 4th place. There will be a new coach inbound for Johannsson sometime soon
- Rumor out of Germany is that Jermaine Jones will undergo meniscus surgery and will miss 6 weeks putting him out of the US WCQs
- Altidore starts for Sunderland this morning against Liverpool
- Cameron and Chandler both started at right back for their respective teams this morning
- Kljestan goes 90 minutes for Anderlecht today and picked up an assist
- Bedoya went 66 minutes this morning for Nantes in a 3-1 win over Rennes

Nesotenso

Sunderland played better and still losing 3-1, that tells you all you need to know about the side. Jozy still scoreless and always looking isolated upfront. What good is holding up the ball when it doesn't result in meaningful chances ? Just like with the national team Altidore is nothing without service and help. Having Fletcher might have helped but he got injured at an inopportune time. Wonder if Jozy scores even 5 goals this season.

By December, Sunderland look like to be a lock on to get relegated, if they already aren't now.

That's the thing - Sunderland are just a deadly mix of being a somewhat mediocre team and having some crappy luck. I don't think they're as bad as their record shows, but they just can't buy a win right now. Upcoming schedule is tough, too.

Nesotenso

That's the thing - Sunderland are just a deadly mix of being a somewhat mediocre team and having some crappy luck. I don't think they're as bad as their record shows, but they just can't buy a win right now. Upcoming schedule is tough, too.

schedule is hard sure, but need to get results against the Crystal Palaces and mid table sides like Fulham, Southhampton etc and at the very least home ties against the bigger sides. Their backline is too slow and porous and they need a 2nd striker with Altidore or atleast get someone closer to him.

By the time easier sides roll around they maybe too far adrift.

Nesotenso

Cameron needs to work on his crossing. He has started the season well but as a right back invited to go forward on occasion his crossing needs to get better. Stoke City have started relatively well trying to implement a new system under Hughes. But they need better help at the forward and winger spots. Shea not cracking the 18 there is bad for his development. He needs a loan asap if Hughes is not intent in using him.

Hope Agudelo fares better.

Greg Seltzer put up his depth chart at http://www.noshortcorners.com/ :

Forward: Jozy Altidore, Aron Johannsson, Eddie Johnson
Right Wing: Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Joe Corona
Left Wing: Fabian Johnson, DaMarcus Beasley, Brek Shea
Playmaking midfielder: Clint Dempsey, Mikkel Diskerud, Alejandro Bedoya
Two-way midfielder: Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Sacha Kljestan
D-mid: Geoff Cameron, Kyle Beckerman, Daniel Williams
Left Back: Eric Lichaj, Edgar Castillo, Jonathan Spector
LCB: Matt Besler, John Anthony Brooks, Carlos Bocanegra
RCB: Clarence Goodson, Omar Gonzalez, Michael Orozco Fiscal
Right back: Michael Parkhurst, Timothy Chandler, Brad Evans
GK: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando, Sean Johnson

You can read through his blog for discussion on a position by position basis.

- SI.com: USMNT set to play friendly in Austria; U.S. Soccer financial figures; more news

Of interest:
It hasn’t been announced yet, but I’m told the U.S. men’s national team will most likely play at Austria in a friendly on Nov. 19. The U.S. meets Scotland four days before that. The hold-up on the Austria game is whether the Austrians will be eliminated from World Cup qualifying next month. If they lose at Sweden, they will indeed be available for the U.S. game.

Also, the U.S. will split its January camp between Los Angeles and São Paulo, Brazil. Though there won’t be any friendlies in Brazil, the visit will give the U.S. a chance to test the infrastructure there ahead of the World Cup. The U.S. will be based in São Paulo next summer.

Notes from the Klinsmann presser in tweet form:
Klinsmann on cup memories: "Special memories. Cup competitions are a big thing. Both coaches want to win a trophy."

"I lost the Cup to Everton, didn't like that one."

"I see the MLS schedule, but it makes no difference to us, this is World Cup Qualifiers. We will call up who we need to."

On Dempsey injury: "We expect Dempsey in camp on Sunday."

Klinsmann confirms that both Brooks and Bradley will be out for the next set of qualifiers.

Klinsmann, on impending #usmnt roster in last 2 qualifiers: "We want to end it on a high note" with "very, very strong team"

On motivation being already qualified: "The race is on. This is about showing the coaches that you deserve to go to Brazil."

On Beckerman's chance going to Brazil, "You can't find a better pro. He's 100% committed in training."

on Chris Pontius: "Yes (we are keeping an eye on him). We are in touch always, I talk to Ben Olsen."

Jermaine Jones will report to #usmnt camp in KC on Sunday, Klinsmann says

Klinsmann keeps an eye on Villareal, Yedlin, Gil, says they are "missing an art", but that he is in contact with their coaches.

On the dual nationality players: "We communicate with them, Paul (Arriola) as well. We follow them, and in many cases have won them over."

EDIT:
#usmnt roster announcement tentatively scheduled for this Thursday

daoster

Klinsmann confirms that both Brooks and Bradley will be out for the next set of qualifiers.

So if Brooks happens to find his way to Brazil next year...the only time we can truly cap tie him is at the World Cup?

Cray!

So if Brooks happens to find his way to Brazil next year...the only time we can truly cap tie him is at the World Cup?

Cray!
That seems to be the case, though my impression is that he's committed to playing for the US. Also, Germany doesn't need him right now, and I don't think they're interested in him after his call ups for the US. They don't need to fight over, um, sloppy seconds, where the US is still in a position where we'd accept castoffs from some of the bigger programs.

xbhaskarx

The subject of dual nationals - players who can play for more than one country - is nothing new for the U.S. national team. It goes back in history as far as the 30s, when Haitian-born Joe Gaetjens was scoring the goal that upset England in the 1930 World Cup

That's quite a history lesson from Ives, many will be surprised to learn that England were even at the 1930 World Cup...

A few new ones from Greg Seltzer:

- The Right Now 23
G - Howard, Guzan, Rimando
D - Parkhurst, Lichaj, Goodson, Besler, Chandler, Brooks, Gonzalez
M - Cameron, Bradley, Dempsey, Jones, Diskerud, Kljestan
A - Altidore, Beasley, Donovan, F. Johnson, Jóhannsson, Zusi, E. Johnson

Those closest to making the cut (in order): Bedoya, Spector/Castillo, Beckerman, Corona, Boyd, Gomez, Shea. Cherundolo also deserves mention in this light, as a successful return to form from him would definitely alter the picture at his position.

Also, he makes a case for putting Maurice Edu or Jermaine Jones at left back.

xbhaskarx

Fabian Johnson.

For more than a decade now, I've publicly turned my nose up at all the experiments that have removed a given winger or random left-footed attacker from his optimal position and dropped him, green and inexperienced, into the left-back slot. Such patchwork strategies not only weaken the area clipped from, but they also make it virtually impossible to grow the position's strength with actual, day-job left backs.

So we've seen everyone from Bobby Convey to Eddie Lewis to DaMarcus Beasley to José Francisco Torres tried at left back, usually with negative results.

Convenient how he leaves out... Fabian Johnson.

Jones is a 6, he shouldn't move anywhere, he just needs to be convinced to not go on his crazy attacking runs.

Edu should try moving to defense, whether it's center back or fullback (most likely CB), because he has athleticism and speed but his passing just isn't good enough for our midfield.

If we're going to experiment at LB, try out Brek Shea.

daoster

American Exports: Club Tijuana's Herculez Gomez finding his legs, success in new home

But potential MLS-Liga MX showdowns in the CCL must wait.

Gomez’s more immediate concern is reaching full match fitness, finding rhythm and then cementing a place in the US squad ahead of what would be his second World Cup, although he acknowledges the fierce battle for places.

“I understand that competition is stiff, I understand that we have plenty of good players,” he said. “I also understand that this is the best US pool that there has ever been.

Askani

Pathetic. Grow some balls, FIFA. If you want this shit to stop, you actually have to make the player be afraid of the repercussions if they do it.

Deadspin said:
If FIFA cared about diving, it would have A)rescinded the yellow card and resulting suspension for Matt Besler for this phantom foul, or B) punished Joel Campbell in some way, any way, for this obvious dive.

It did neither, because of course.

"FIFA issues warning to CR's Joel Campbell for lack of sportsmanship but decided against sanction for dive that led to Besler suspension."

Like, this didn't even require an overhaul of officiating or mandatory video replay or any sort of new rule. Just some sort of signal that they actually care about game- and tournament- altering dives. They have visual proof of the most obvious flop on Earth, and the best they can do is say "please don't do it again."

http://deadspin.com/fifa-doesnt-care-about-diving-1440901062

Nesotenso

With as shitty as the field was, and I'm assuming still is, in KC...it's probably for the best.

would be a black eye for SKC if someone hurts themselves like Bradley did. Speaking of reddit, Peter Vermes is doing an ama on the MLS subreddit this month. We can ask him about lineups and tactics Askani.

Dempsey is not traveling to Colorado for Saturday's Sounders-Rapids game because of a hamstring injury. He's doubtful for the US WCQs.

Unleash Kevin Bacon !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom