• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

jozy is playin really well. but these freaking midfielder don't make the simple pass to jozy. could have had two goals already

all this playing well means nothing if a forward can't score goals. at this rate he is gonna get
relegated to the bench and the cries that he is mediocre at the highest levels are going to get louder. Sunderland should have taken the chances they got.

Steven Goff said:
Klinsmann will announce roster for final two World Cup qualifiers on Sunday, time TBD #usmnt

- Fabian Johnson wasn't on the bench today, so he's probably out.
- Bedoya is sick and didn't suit up for Nantes
- Cameron started at right back this morning

A question for you USMNT-gaf. If you are in a position where losing the game against Panama means that Mexico misses the World Cup, would you want that to happen?

Nesotenso

A question for you USMNT-gaf. If you are in a position where losing the game against Panama means that Mexico misses the World Cup, would you want that to happen?

no, don't care enough about the Mexican team and their fans to lose purposely to a third team. Mexico can miss the WC on their own if they want it so bad.

Is such a situation even possible?

Actually it is.

The two teams are sitting on the same point total with the same goal differential, but Panama has more goals scored (third tiebreaker). They play each other next (at the Azteca).

Here are few of the scenarios

Assuming Mexico and Panama draw, then Mexico would need for:

1) Panama to lose to the US and Mexico wins by any scoreline against CR regardless of Honduras' last two results
2) Panama wins by 1 goal, Mexico wins by at least 2 goals regardless of Hondura's last two results
3) Panama and Mexico win by the same margin AND Honduras doesn't secure a point in their last two matches.

Assuming Mexico wins against Panama, they simply need to secure a point against CR, regardless of the Panama-US result and Honduras' last two results.

Assuming Mexico loses to Panama:

1)Mexico must beat CR, Honduras must lose both of their last two matches and Mexico must have +3 goal differential compared to Honduras over those last two matches, regardless of the Panama-US result
2)Panama loses to the US, Mexico beats CR. Mexico has a superior goal differential over the last two games compared to Panama.

TL;DR: Mexico's road to the World Cup is hairy at best, but Panama-US could potentially decide their fate.

USSoccer said:
#USMNT Roster: GK - Guzan, Howard, Rimando; D - Beasley, Besler, Cameron, Castillo, Evans, Gonzalez;

#USMNT Roster, Contd.: MF - Beckerman, Bedoya, Diskerud, Jones, Kljestan, Zusi; F - Altidore, Boyd, Donovan, Johannsson, E. Johnson

Nesotenso

only called up 20 guys. would have liked to see Chandler or someone else get a shot at RB.
please not Evans as first choice in Brazil.

Nesotenso

Would have liked to see some new faces but I understand wanting to win out. Hope Kevin Bacon gets some serious minutes.

does he seriously plan to take Evans to Brazil ? Why not give others a chance when you have already qualified ? It is not like finishing the group on top is going to get you magically seeded. By all accounts Chandler and Lichaj have been decent at RB back this month.

xbhaskarx

Not taking a full 23-man roster, EVER, makes no freaking sense. This is like the third time Klinsmann has done that... I can't even think of the last time that happened before Klinsmann took over.

daoster

Will our squad even been a full strength squad in Brazil? It's kinda ridiculous how throughout this whole cycle, how many of our top players have been injured.

- Greg Seltzer with a couple notes from Europe:
I can tell you that Arsenal - current EPL leaders and perpetual worriers about who's in goal - have been scouting Brad Guzan. That's it so far. No contact, no offer, just a-watchin' for now. Be aware, though; they've also been out to see other keepers in recent weeks, including Stoke's Asmir Begovic.

Speaking of Stoke, UK word came out recently they were looking to loan out both Maurice Edu and Brek Shea, each of whom got a very late start to the campaign due to injury recoveries.

I'm told Edu has interest, but also that no move is imminent. The same likely goes for Shea, who seems closer to breaking into the selection at this time. It seems he has or recently had a couple of short-term loan suitors among the gaggle of clubs in the middle of the country. I cannot say for sure who those teams are just yet. From the "for what it's worth" file: Derby Country reportedly wanted him not too long ago, while both Blackburn and Bolton scouted him when he was still an FC Dallas player.

Will our squad even been a full strength squad in Brazil? It's kinda ridiculous how throughout this whole cycle, how many of our top players have been injured.
I don't know if the US has been harder hit than an average national team. Injuries always crop up, and that's why depth is so important. I think we've been lucky in past years since Donovan, Bradley, and a couple of the other guys have been mostly injury-free for their careers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Well we can always hope that everyone will play a bit more carefully in the actual build up to the Cup. It would be a real shame if we couldn't field the best of the best for the Cup.

Meier

For those who missed it, the USWNT will play a friendly with Brazil in November and it'll take place at the Citrus Bowl (Orlando).

- A couple tidbits on Brooks from Yanks Abroad
"He has resumed lightweight training," a source close to the player told YA.

According the Hertha Berlin website, he has resumed jogging and running but is not fully sprinting or engaged in contact. When reporters today asked Brooks following today's practice about the U.S national team he regretted that he was unfit for the present World Cup qualifiers against Jamaica and Panama but added "I hope that next time I'm there!"

Meier

US team out bowling the other night (video):

- A Trip Down Memory Lanes

I can't figure what's more out of control - Howard's beard or Beckerman's hat.

Made a few gifs of Geoff Cameron's strike.. one longer with Howard and Bedoya and Geoff's little jig plus one that ends right after his initial celebration.

cameron.gif

cameron_short.gif

Brilliant. Quality actually turned out pretty good too (surprisingly) -- no green dots.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Howard does not need to shave! His beard is scary awesome.

Yeah, I thought it was a nice article as well. Grant Wahl is Great Wahl.

also: omg guys. what happens if Mexico doesn't win today?

I think it'll depend on how Panama does since they are tied. If they both lose and Mexico can't overcome the goal differential, then nothing happens. If Panama wins then Mexico's fucked. If Mexico wins and Panama loses then Mexico gets the 4th slot against New Zealand for now.

Also Howard's beard is awesome, I wish I could grow one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom