• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
GoldenEye 007 said:
Isn't the all time record for World Cup total and average attendance held by the 1994 World Cup? It apparently did well for the sport last time. Couple that with the amount of stadium buildings/renovations since that time, and you have a recipe for something to even eclipse that.

Even more impressive: The 94 world cup had 24 teams, not 32, so there were fewer games!

US hosting again would shatter the record. 90,000 at NYC, 115,000 at Dallas....

Im hoping the US gets 2026. Honestly, 1994 was quite recent, so it would be unair to host again.

Id say:

2018: Australia
2022: England
2026: USA
2030: Argentina/Uruguay joint hosts (100 year celebration)
2034: China

Meus Renaissance said:
Maybe it was because the average stadium back then had a higher capacity than what many European football stadiums are built for? Regardless, you're right a lot of people did attend the 94 games and yet it's barely had an affect on the national perception of football/soccer. It's still dominated by NFL, NBA etc. When it's not even a national sport much less one loved by a significant amount, why choose the USA over other nations such as England who want to host the games? You need to earn it by showing the passion on a national level. What's to say soccer wouldn't still be a minority sport in the US in 2030? Hosting the tournie won't change much IMO - you can't roll the dice on this because there are countries more passionate and that want it more.
Soccer probably won't ever eclipse the top 4 sports overall - well, maybe it'll unseat hockey, it's leadership is pretty incompetent sometimes. Doesn't mean there can't be interest, however, and we can follow multiple sports just fine. And so what if the stadiums are larger? It clearly shows a desire to go games regardless. And if the WC of this year is anything to go by, TV and physical attendance is not going to be an issue. I believe the USA sold the most tickets for the South African tournament this year, by the way.

Further, it is unfair to paint the entire country with a broad brush. It is massive and diverse. Yes, there will be people that are not interested in soccer at all. However, there can definitely be enough to be passionate about it and even today warrant hosting the World Cup. MLS would probably improve too. It already is doing a lot better and hosting the WC would do nothing but energize it greatly. There are dedicated MLS parks being build and teams in certain markets are beginning to sell out or at least have high attendance regularly. It could also help MLS not be a dumping ground for former European talent and instead become a league in which high schoolers and college kids can look up to for good competition and a career.

2018 would be kind of soon, I guess, because of 1994.

Antimatter said:
Yeah I realize that, just read the sentence wrong. Thought he was using the World Cup as a counter to Brazil's FIBA coverage. My bad.

Yeah, Im talking about the FIBA 2010 championship in Turkey THIS August. Every big name NBA star will be there....and yet americans cant be bothered to support team USA. Actually, let me rephrase that: American media can't be bothered, I' m sure with the proper exposure, the whole country would watch.

woodchuck

striKeVillain! said:
busquetst.gif

"Peek-a-Boo!"

:lol

Fuck Barca Cesc. Come to the MLS!

Splinter

Does anyone here have the Nike team track jacket for any country? The one the Nike sponsored teams wear before the game?

Hows the quality and fit? any pics of you wearing it?

Nike%20USA%20N98%20370300.jpg

Splinter said:
Does anyone here have the Nike team track jacket for any country? The one the Nike sponsored teams wear before the game?

I like that jacket alot, Ill order one when its on sale after the world cup

Subitai

http://www.gousabid.com/city

Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Dallas
Denver
Houston
Indianapolis
Kansas City/Missouri/Kansas
Los Angeles
Miami
Nashville
New York City/NJ
Philadelphia
Phoenix-Glendale
San Diego
Seattle
Tampa Bay
Washington DC

WTH!? Almost all those cities just built an NFL stadium in the last decade. :lol

Surprised to not see Chicago, San Francisco, or an Ohio city. Guess their bids didn't stack up. Anyway, probably not coming here until '22 or '26. I'm guessing half of those cities will have replaced their facilities by that time if the past is any indication of the future.

Oozer3993

Subitai said:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Dallas
Denver
Houston
Indianapolis
Los Angeles
Miami
Nashville
New York City/NJ
Philadelphia
Phoenix-Glendale
San Diego
Seattle
Tampa Bay
Washington DC

WTH!? Almost all those cities just built an NFL stadium in the last decade. :lol

Surprised to not see Chicago, San Francisco, or an Ohio city. Guess their bids didn't stack up. Anyway, probably not coming here until '22 or '26. I'm guessing half of those cities will have replaced their facilities by that time if the past is any indication of the future.

I'm heartbroken to not see an Ohio city. A WC warm up game in '06 against Venezuela on a rainy, overcast day drew 30,000 people to Cleveland Browns Stadium and I saw a qualifier against Costa Rica in Columbus in '01 and the stadium was packed and I know there'd be enough people to fill the Horseshoe. Heck, I remember seeing Michigan Stadium on a list submitted to FIFA about a year ago. Seeing a WC game at the Big House would be amazing.

Oozer3993 said:
I'm heartbroken to not see an Ohio city. A WC warm up game in '06 against Venezuela on a rainy, overcast day drew 30,000 people to Cleveland Browns Stadium and I saw a qualifier against Costa Rica in Columbus in '01 and the stadium was packed and I know there'd be enough people to fill the Horseshoe. Heck, I remember seeing Michigan Stadium on a list submitted to FIFA about a year ago. Seeing a WC game at the Big House would be amazing.

I agree, I live in Columbus and we have some of the best soccer fans in the country, filling the Shoe would be easy

dabig2 said:
No chicago just doesn't make any sense. It's the 3rd largest market in the country first of all. And the city is good enough to stake an entire potential Olympics in, but not good enough to host a game in the world cup - even though it was good enough just 16 years ago to host the opening ceremonies and game of the world cup. Not to mention it's the headquarters of the entire soccer structure in the United States.

The only thing that would make sense out of it is that they want the game in the new Indianapolis stadium and they figured it's close enough to Chicago anyways.

Cities had to submit bids.

Chicagos bid wasnt good enough. Blame the mayor/government, they werent good enough for the olympics and they didnt bother making an effort for the world cup.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Clydefrog said:
Around the country. The venues in '94 were:

Los Angeles
Detroit
San Francisco
NYC
Orlando
Chicago
Dallas
Boston
D.C.

Charlotte has hosted a number of Mexican soccer games in the last decade. I imagine the Richardsons have a good relationship with US Soccer and might be able to secure some games. I hope so anyway.

edit: Guess not :(

I'd still go to the ATL for some games. Go ATL!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Subitai said:

chicago?? Meh. Too cold. I do like Los Angeles even though I reside here cuz there's a shitload of of people from different countries and it'll be a big boon for L.A. economy and FIFA moneywise. Also the weather almost perfect to host in June. It's not too hot or too cold. Always on the Mid-70's.

DominoKid

Splinter said:

dont have one yet but i've tried it on in store. pictures dont do it justice tbqh. you have to see it in person to appreciate the detail and the vibrancy of the colors.

jamesinclair said:
Im hoping the US gets 2026. Honestly, 1994 was quite recent, so it would be unair to host again.

Id say:

2018: Australia
2022: England
2026: USA
2030: Argentina/Uruguay joint hosts (100 year celebration)
2034: China
You want to talk about unfair, if your scenario were to come true, Europe would've had it three times between North American hostings, Asia twice.

Verano said:
chicago?? Meh. Too cold.
Not when it would be held.

daoster

Meus Renaissance said:
Regardless, you're right a lot of people did attend the 94 games and yet it's barely had an affect on the national perception of football/soccer. It's still dominated by NFL, NBA etc. When it's not even a national sport much less one loved by a significant amount, why choose the USA over other nations such as England who want to host the games? You need to earn it by showing the passion on a national level. What's to say soccer wouldn't still be a minority sport in the US in 2030? Hosting the tournie won't change much IMO - you can't roll the dice on this because there are countries more passionate and that want it more.

This is bullshit. Seriously. It should go to countries who can hold a successful World Cup, not because fans of a certain country are more passionate than another. Seriously, the most ridiculous statement. We need to earn it? Says who? Did South Africa earn it, or did Sepp Blatter just want to be able to say, "I was able to put a World Cup in Africa"?

Regardless, FIFA won't care if the fans are "passionate enough" or not, as the seats will all sell out, and not have visibly empty seats as a good number of some of the current games have had.

Besides, 1994 helped push the U.S. to finally qualify again in 1990, the first since 1950, forced the U.S. to make a professional league again, and has created a backbone for our national team that has consistently improved on, and has now qualified for the World Cup 6 times in a row.

Besides, why does it need to push out the NBA, MLB, or NFL? Were people expecting the US to suddenly have a huge interest in soccer after 94, when the MLS wasn;t even established until 1996? And Baseball and Football didn't become dominant overnight, why should soccer be any different?

NoRéN

DTLIONS1013 said:
I agree, I live in Columbus and we have some of the best soccer fans in the country, filling the Shoe would be easy
That you do!

To those saying that the world cup in '94 had little effect here and that the world cup should go to "passionate soccer nations":

-The '94 world cup had enough interest here to help launch our domestic league, MLS.
-Before '94, international matches were not aired. Now we have Soccer specific channels and ESPN airs all the world cup matches, including some on ABC. That's fucken Primetime,baby! Obviously, someone here wnats to wacth.

-the interest of fairness will mean nothing in the long run. It's a business in the end. Would FIFA prefer to have the world cup in a passionate nation with 40,000 seater stadiums over the US with big, top of the line facilities topping 65,000+ seats? Maybe, but it just makes sense financially to have it here.
Basically, Daoster, I'm with ya, buddy!

edit: one last lttle thing, South Africa is a damn passionate nation! great to see their fans still enjoying that matches even after their country was knocked out in the group stages. Plenty of fans still blowingtheir vuvuzelas, enjoying this great event...and yet, there are empty seats. 30,000-40,000 seater stadiums with empty seats.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Mindlog said:
Stands Fan Cam

One of my favorite videos because it doesn't cut away and miss Howard's laser rocket arm hurling the ball at Donovan to start the counter.
Compilation

That's the best shot I've seen of the buildup to the goal. Incredible focus and commitment for Dempsey, Donovan, and Altidore to go on that run after 90 minutes of all-out effort. Just beautiful.

Subitai said:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Dallas
Denver
Houston
Indianapolis
Los Angeles
Miami
Nashville
New York City/NJ
Philadelphia
Phoenix-Glendale
San Diego
Seattle
Tampa Bay
Washington DC

Nashville and Tampa Bay rather than Chicago? Fucking really? Also, if there were a match in either Ann Arbor or Columbus it would be a sell out no question. Soccer is huge in the midwest.

jjasper

Meus Renaissance said:
Maybe it was because the average stadium back then had a higher capacity than what many European football stadiums are built for? Regardless, you're right a lot of people did attend the 94 games and yet it's barely had an affect on the national perception of football/soccer. It's still dominated by NFL, NBA etc. When it's not even a national sport much less one loved by a significant amount, why choose the USA over other nations such as England who want to host the games? You need to earn it by showing the passion on a national level. What's to say soccer wouldn't still be a minority sport in the US in 2030? Hosting the tournie won't change much IMO - you can't roll the dice on this because there are countries more passionate and that want it more.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The national perception pre and post 94 is like night and day.

mikeybwright said:
Nashville and Tampa Bay rather than Chicago? Fucking really? Also, if there were a match in either Ann Arbor or Columbus it would be a sell out no question. Soccer is huge in the midwest.

Again cities submitted the bids so blame the local government. Also not all of these cities will be selected for the games I think there is one last cut if the US wins the bid.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
If I had to pick a US city to host the world cup, from that list, I'd take either Seattle or Indianapolis. Indy gets a bad rap but it's a beautiful city and I think letting the world see a part of America that isn't New York or Los Angeles would be cool.

woodchuck

i hope if they do the world cup in america again, they have some night games this time. Playing games in 100 degree weather doesn't seem fun and makes for boring games to watch where everyone's tired.

Fuck Europe. We have to wake up at shitty hours to watch games. Make them have to do the same.

NoRéN

AstroLad said:
it would be in multiple cities thankfully

only downside of la is you are giving a big advantage to the mexis.
Dude...had to stop myself from an "insensitive" joke but, doesn't matter where in the US the game is, they're there already.

In 94 the Group games that took place in LA were the US group games. Very smart move, imo.

I'm glad to see Nashville in the list. Surprising turnout back in the qualifying game against T&T. Very beautiful city as well. Glad I drove up for that game! :D

Seattle would definitely have some great crowds.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
i hope if they do the world cup in america again, they have some night games this time. Playing games in 100 degree weather doesn't seem fun and makes for boring games to watch where everyone's tired.
No shit, especially in about 80% of the cities listed. I'm guessing if Phoenix gets it for example they'll do it in the Cards stadium and close the roof though.

Crisis

Banned
woodchuck said:
Howard; Cherundolo, DeMerit, Bocanegra, Bornstein; Donovan, Bradley, Clark, Dempsey; Altidore, Findley

WTF BOB WTF

I'm confused by Bornstein as well. Hopefully substitutions will be in short order should they become necessary.

woodchuck

i don't mind seeing Findley on the pitch, but i don't think he should start. i think he'd be more effective as a sub when everyone else is tired

NoRéN

woodchuck said:
Howard; Cherundolo, DeMerit, Bocanegra, Bornstein; Donovan, Bradley, Clark, Dempsey; Altidore, Findley

WTF BOB WTF
Seems like more of a long term plan. Opens up the likely possibilities of the subs looking like this:
Beasley for bornstein
Torred for Clark
Buddle for Findley.

Speed to come on in the 2nd half once the ghana defenders are a bit worn down.

Crisis

Banned
NoRéN said:
Seems like more of a long term plan. Opens up the likely possibilities of the subs looking like this:
Beasley for bornstein
Torred for Clark
Buddle for Findley.

Speed to come on in the 2nd half once the ghana defenders are a bit worn down.

That last part I think is the obvious part to everyone. Ghana will get tired out. Bradley intends to try to strike while it's hot, so to speak. I just hope that they can hold any goals off.

please don't tell me that's the starting lineup...

Finley obviously must be doing something in practice that we don't see in games; like...activate rocket boosts or something at opportune times.
AstroLad said:
bradley hates buddle confirmed for the 10th time

..or Gomez. US/Mexico rivalry hate in-house confirmed.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
AstroLad said:
bradley hates buddle confirmed for the 10th time

that sux. I guess Bradley is just as hard headed as Aguirre choosing players that could change the game. Im surprised he called up Redcardo Clark and Bornstein???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom