• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

The_Reckoning said:
Sadly, we will. Until 2014 at least :( go USA!

Yeah, they've got to win a couple games for people to really give a shit outside of this week, IMHO. The bandwagon can't crash right after it gets started.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I apologize if I missed it when reading the first post or if a link has been posted a million times in this thread, but is there anywhere online that will be streaming the game? The one TV in my house that has cable hooked up to it is occupied.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bradley is a fucking idiot, i don't care what happens in this game. might as well start with 10 men instead of that piece of shit clark trying to do the world's worst leo messi impression

Slappy967

Neo Member
WOW what a heartbreaker :( Between the Ghanains laying down and taking their jolly sweet f**king time to our squad running out of miracles that was a painful end to an otherwise tremendous game. God bless boys get'em next time!

Toski

As I said in the other thread, how could Bradley go 3 games (now 4) with letting the other team score within the first 10 minutes? I think after the second game the USMNT would be practicing how to defend goals in the first 20 minutes of a game. Combine that with poor personel decisions and the US didn't deserve to go on.

I really don't think Bradley will be back in 2014 unless we crush Brazil in a friendly.

Robot 492

Banned
Wow.

What an emotional game that was. I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire match. Hats off to Ghana for outplaying us. We were completely dominated in the first half, and we're honestly lucky that we went into halftime down only one goal. And I can't believe we conceded yet another early goal. Why is it that we can't play proper defense in the first 15 minutes?

What kills me isn't the fact that we lost; it's the fact that we had so many great opportunities to score, but just couldn't capitalize. We need to start finishing those great goal-scoring chances. Again, hats off to the Ghanaian team for the way they played in the first 90 minutes.

Having said all that, fuck Ghana and their fake injuries late in the game. Also, fuck the referee for allowing that to go on.

Still, I'm extremely proud of the way this team played in the 2010 World Cup. We got an impressive draw against England, we had a fantastic comeback against Slovenia, and we had one of the most dramatic goals in U.S. soccer history against Algeria. This loss is very disappointing, but at the end of the day, this team can walk away with their heads held high. We made the round of 16, which is more than most people expected.

Congrats, team U.S. We're proud of you.

mYm|17|

Sir Fragula said:
US Mutant Ninja Turtles?
United States Men's National Team

Anyhow, Bradley seriously shouldn't of picked Ricardo Clark or Findley to start.

Congrats on the US for getting this far.

daoster

Brutal game.

My only consolation is that Mexico will go down to Argentina tomorrow too.

What pisses me off is that second goal. My god. Did Bocanegra just give up on that one?

But the USA gave it their all, and Ghana really showed up today. Proud of our boys.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
daoster said:
Brutal game.

What pisses me off is that second goal. My god. Did Bocanegra just give up on that one?

But the USA gave it their all, and Ghana really showed up today. Proud of our boys.
Bocanegra looked like he was staring up at the sky well after the ball had come down. Clark and Howard were stoned on the first goal and he was stoned on the second. Talk about giving away a game. I don't even know who to cheer for anymore. Don't like diving so that eliminates all the Euro teams, hated Ghana well before this game and they certainly didn't change my mind with some of their shit today. I do have a Messi jersey and some shirts from back in 2006 so go Argentina I guess even though Maradona is a clown.

Crisis

Banned
daoster said:
Brutal game.

Bocanegra already had a yellow card. Any funny business in there would have sent him out of the game. DeMerit should have been in a better position to start with.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yup both goals were comedies of errors from multiple players. Meanwhile the U.S. let 2-3 great chances go by. *shrug*

daoster

Crisis said:
Bocanegra already had a yellow card. Any funny business in there would have sent him out of the game. DeMerit should have been in a better position to start with.

I'd rather get Bocanegra sent off and miss the next game, then well...lose. That's what I think at least.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It was was an entertaining game. I'm proud of the team even with today's performance. The faking and delaying disgusted me during the overtime though. I hope Ghana gets crushed.

Crisis

Banned
Always-honest said:
take one for the team?

Take one for the team and play a man down and miss the next match? That's not taking one for the team. That's harming the team. You guys are totally missing DeMerit on that one.

Dresden

sazabirules said:
It was was an entertaining game. I'm proud of the team even with today's performance. The faking and delaying disgusted me during the overtime though. I hope Ghana gets crushed.
Yeah, it was ridiculous. It was so blatant too--they can't even dive well, and whenever they got up all the Ghana players had this dumb fucking grin on their faces.

The worst was when that douchebag flopped to the ground on his own and they had to bring out the stretcher.

Crisis said:
Take one for the team and play a man down and miss the next match? That's not taking one for the team. That's harming the team. You guys are totally missing DeMerit on that one.
no, getting to the next game is the priority here.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Dresden said:
Yeah, it was ridiculous. It was so blatant too--they can't even dive well, and whenever they got up all the Ghana players had this dumb fucking grin on their faces.

The worst was when that douchebag flopped to the ground on his own and they had to bring out the stretcher.

I was so pissed off when that happened. Also the dude taking the corner kick and then switching with another guy walking as slow as possible. What kind of bullshit is that? I thought soccer players would have some integrity.

Onemic

Hatersgonnahate.gif

I'm 10000% sure you guys would say nothing if it was the other way round.

This is also obligatory

5x1ldi.gif

the dives in this game were nothing compared to the dives in other games.
it was quite tame IMO. and the ref was the 2nd best ref so far of the tourney .

and you had worst shit going on yesterday
1277496422531i1sy.gif

Crisis

Banned
Always-honest said:
no, getting to the next game is the priority here.

Playing a man down on defense in the current game when your team has bad defense is counter-productive to moving to the next game.

onemic said:
Hatersgonnahate.gif.

I'm 10000% sure you guys would say nothing it was the other way round.

This is also obligatory

[/QUOTE]

Two things - Are you really going to spam that picture in every single soccer/football thread? Secondly, I'm over 9000% sure that it DIDN'T happen the other way around. I have yet to see the US team dive at the extent that Ghana did today so quite frankly I can assure you there would have been a bunch of comments on it. That doesn't make what Ghana did okay. And that referee should have red-carded at least two of those fucks for it, and you know it.

Toski

Crisis said:
Playing a man down on defense in the current game when your team has bad defense is counter-productive to moving to the next game.
The goal is to save the goal. Bocanegra should've taken a yellow if it kept Ghana from scoring.

East Lake

Even though Ghana's antics were frustrating to watch at the end I can't say I'm angry with them, it happens on every team because it's a unfortunate staple of the game itself when nobody attempts to stamp it out. It'd be nice to be able to say the US played as fairly as they could but they certainly did some diving and injury faking of their own. Somehow I don't think it'll ever go away.

Crisis

Banned
Toski said:
The goal is to save the goal. Bocanegra should've taken a yellow if it kept Ghana from scoring.

I cannot believe I have to bring this up again. If you have resigned to a fate that means that somebody had to take a yellow, then why would you not want DeMerit to do it? As far as I remember, DeMerit did not have any cards. I would rather have Bocanegra than DeMerit ANY day.

dabig2

onemic said:
Hatersgonnahate.gif

I'm 10000% sure you guys would say nothing it was the other way round.

This is also obligatory

http://i45.tinypic.com/5x1ldi.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

fuck that shit. It's one of the primary reasons why Americans deride the sport and I and most of the other americans watching would've been just as embarrassed if we pulled that crap, listening to the announcers destroy us. We had people calling out Altidore for diving as well, though I think that's more because Altidore is a giant piece of shit and he tripped up on his own incompetence.

daoster

The U.S. wastes times all the time when we're winning, so that's not something I really hate. It's just frustrating as hell when somebody else does it though.

While I'm gutted we didn't put away our chances against Ghana to make it to the Quarterfinals, I'm still pumped for our guys. To finish 1st in the group above England is something to hang your hat on.

However, it's obvious we are a flawed team with flashes of brilliance but unable to put away key chances while suffering from defensive lapses early.

All in all, I still gotta give some love to the team. Here's hoping we can take the 2011 Gold Cup, make a run at the 2013 Confed Cup, and get ready to win our WQ qualifying group over Mexico ;)

0000-So-1066068038-tnl.jpg

Crisis

Banned
daoster said:
The U.S. wastes times all the time when we're winning, so that's not something I really hate. It's just frustrating as hell when somebody else does it though.

I will state unequivocally right now that I have NEVER witnessed the US waste time the way Ghana did.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
On the positive side, this World Cup has made me want to purchase my first Fifa game since 2008. What version should I get, 2010 or the World Cup edition. Does the World Cup edition have the career and manager modes that are present in 2010? WHICH IS BETTER? HALP

Ghana definitely wanted the win more than the US. We got that far by playing above our talent level and it was just a matter of time until we met someone with more will than us

Onemic

Crisis said:

Two things - Are you really going to spam that picture in every single soccer/football thread? Secondly, I'm over 9000% sure that it DIDN'T happen the other way around. I have yet to see the US team dive at the extent that Ghana did today so quite frankly I can assure you there would have been a bunch of comments on it. That doesn't make what Ghana did okay. And that referee should have red-carded at least two of those fucks for it, and you know it.

How can you be sure it wouldn't happen the other way round when they didn't win.:lol Ghana played very well and only started wasting time during the end of OT. If the US was in the same position Ghana was they'd do the exact same thing. They may have even been worse. And you're delusional if you truly think otherwise.

And the way Ghana wasted time is absolutely nothing compared to most soccer teams. Watch an Italy or a Portugal game and see the way they play when they are winning. Don't start hating a team because you're butthurt your team lost. Because at the end of the day that's what it ultimately boils down to.

Toski

Crisis said:
I cannot believe I have to bring this up again. If you have resigned to a fate that means that somebody had to take a yellow, then why would you not want DeMerit to do it? As far as I remember, DeMerit did not have any cards. I would rather have Bocanegra than DeMerit ANY day.
The guy who was in better position to not give up a penalty kick should have fouled. Bocanegra had the bump, but should've pushed harder. If DeMerit was in a better position then he should've fouled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom