• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Both of you need to drop it. Like right now. We get it, nobody can read or write and America sux. Talk about something else or you can talk about nothing at all. This argument has nothing to do with US soccer anymore.

BTW Sunil would be awesome. He's was my econ advisor :)

Onemic

Crisis said:
Hey guy. Two things. First, I purposely left it out, if you didn't figure that out by now. Because it's cool to do things like that, according to you. You seemed able to figure out that I left something out quickly enough, so I don't understand exactly what the hell your issue is with your own posts.

Second, YOU brought it up. Here it is AGAIN.

Jesus Christ. Where are the fucking mods at?

Brah, Brah, what are you on about now? I brought what up exactly? I don't know how that quote has to do with anything, other than that it calls you out for trying to allege that my first post was made up of two sentences.

Anyway, I'm honestly done with this and I hope you are too. If you still want to go into some stupid debate about nothing, then go pm me or something. Otherwise let it go.

EDIT: just saw your post Y. I agree 100%.

Quincey

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Both of you need to drop it. Like right now. We get it, nobody can read or write and America sux. Talk about something else or you can talk about nothing at all. This argument has nothing to do with US soccer anymore.

BTW Sunil would be awesome. He's was my econ advisor :)

You go to Columbia?

East Lake

Now that we're past that I think us Americans need some more inventive chants. Preferably something offensive or smug that would piss off the other countries fans who probably hate us already.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Quincey said:
You go to Columbia?
I did, yeah. I graduated this year. Sunil's awesome. I don't know if he could coach (I don't know if he actually played soccer, but I guess he did given his role in the US program), but as a speaker, organizer, strategizer, and a motivator I doubt they could find better.

Antimatter said:
Now that we're past that I think us Americans need some more inventive chants. Preferably something offensive or smug that would piss off the other countries fans who probably hate us already.

Couldn't agree more, just yelling "USA" isn't cutting it.

Mission accomplished for onemic I guess, good god. Thankfully y2kev came into cut him off. Take the trolling elsewhere, dude.

I've been watching soccer since I was young, but after the shootout that gave Brazil the cup over Italy in the 90's, I stopped being too into it because the thought of deciding a champion via a completely different game than the main game didn't sit well with me at all. I gave the World Cup a passing interest in the years since then, but this year was the first time I had really gotten back into it again and was outright passionate. And considering I'm west coast and I normally go to bed pretty late, getting up to watch the games took some dedication :lol

Personally I'm really proud of our team and while I'm disappointed with our loss, I'm not feeling upset about our performance overall. The team represented the US well... they didn't become known as divers, and played above their level. They rose in the face of adversity numerous times and never gave up.

This team played soccer the way Americans want to see it played. A minimum of diving and acting, a never-say-die attitude and overall, a great TEAM effort with guys who really wanted to win and weren't full of themselves. They were passionate and determined, and weren't going to be scared off of the field by anybody.

During the Ghana match, it was heartbreaking to see how exhausted they all were at the end. You could tell they just had nothing left in the tank, and yet they still had a number of good opportunities at the end. And while Ghana was in its right to play keep-away with the ball (as I'm sure the US would if they were ahead), the constant diving and calling for stretchers, taking extra time to throw in the ball, etc. showed the pathetic side of soccer which unfortunately has shown itself a lot in this World Cup. I'm proud of our team in that they haven't been accused of such. I hope that never changes.

Also, I'm proud of the number of fans that went to South Africa to cheer on the team, and the millions of fans across the country rooting on the US.

Hopefully next time around, we have a stronger, smarter defensive group and some maturity in our offense to go along with our speed and passion.

Thanks for the memories, USMNT! These are games that I'll never forget.

Splinter

mikeybwright said:
Couldn't agree more, just yelling "USA" isn't cutting it.

I gotta admit the USA chants in those recent youtube vids gave me chills..

It's just what we say, songs/chants really cant be fabricated, they just happen.

Mindlog

Antimatter said:

First we'll steal the Mexican tradition and call the opposing keeper an asshole on every goal kick.

*tune 10 little indians*
We'll bomb your, bomb your, shitty little country X3
Send it back to hell

but really, 'Home on the Range' should be a more frequently used tune

Whenever an opponent scores we should yell, "Goddamnit Clark."
If we had a coach that was a passionate SoB this would be much easier. I'm increasingly convinced this is what the USMNT desperately needs more than anything.

Splinter said:
I gotta admit the USA chants in those recent youtube vids gave me chills..

It's just what we say, songs/chants really cant be fabricated, they just happen.

In the videos yes...it was powerful, but I don't like it when our only recognizable chant is yelling our countries name over and over.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
mikeybwright said:
In the videos yes...it was powerful, but I don't like it when our only recognizable chant is yelling our countries name over and over.

Seems about the same as "¡Viva México!" to me. How do you feel about that one?

NH Apache

Banned
mikeybwright said:

Actually, the most powerful thing for me is the amazingly loud singing of our national anthem before the game. Blew me away. THAT is how you rep your country.

Edit: Wow, retribution strikes everywhere.

East Lake

Mindlog said:
First we'll steal the Mexican tradition and call the opposing keeper an asshole on every goal kick.

*tune 10 little indians*
We'll bomb your, bomb your, shitty little country X3
Send it back to hell

but really, 'Home on the Range' should be a more frequently used tune

Whenever an opponent scores we should yell, "Goddamnit Clark."
If we had a coach that was a passionate SoB this would be much easier. I'm increasingly convinced this is what the USMNT desperately needs more than anything.
A passionate coach and I think you'd need a large group of fans to just go in there through multiple games and get it done, pass out sheets, organize and shit. Like what what if all the sudden on your TV you heard "america.......... AMERICAAAA, AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!!" you know maybe at the kickoff or something like they do at Jets games. Of course it's not particularly long or original but I think it'd be hilarious to start hearing shit like that, I don't mind the USA chants every once and a while but we definitely need some variety. We could use chants like that defensive college basketball cheer to drown out the opposing fans when we're not on the ball. I don't know, we need something though.

Antimatter said:
A passionate coach and I think you'd need a large group of fans to just go in there through multiple games and get it done, pass out sheets, organize and shit. Like what what if all the sudden on your TV you heard "america.......... AMERICAAAA, AMERICA FUCK YEAH!!!" you know maybe at the kickoff or something like they do at Jets games. Of course it's not particularly long or original but I think it'd be hilarious to start hearing shit like that, I don't mind the USA chants every once and a while but we definitely need some variety. We could use chants like that defensive college basketball cheer to drown out the opposing fans when we're not on the ball. I don't know, we need something though.

During one of the friendlies before the World Cup, I heard "USA aint nothin to fuck with" but haven't heard it since.

rar

pay this man millions to coach us please
Leonardo_Milan_01062009_1.jpg

or even more unlikely
david_moyes.jpg

daegan

Antimatter said:

Trust me when I say these things happen already, thanks to groups like American Outlaws and Sam's Army. When the USMNT plays close enough to you where you can go, get tickets for the supporters' section through one of these groups and come on out; you'll learn 100 songs by the time the game's over.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So looking at the roster for 2014, from my untrained eye we look pretty solid in midfield and maybe forward, but questions at defense.

At forward we should have Altidore (who I still think can be a very good player with more seasoning) and hopefully Davies.

Midfield- Bradley is only 22, Edu is 24, then Torres and Holden should be hitting their prime. One question- will Donovan at 32 and Dempsey at 31 still be in top form? Seems like that's the outer edge of being in their prime. If they are still in good form midfield looks like a clear strength.

Defense..hmm..Gooch should still be available. Maybe Spector will be ready by then. Maybe Bornstein? Seems like the weakest position.

Goalie..Howard should still be in good form right?

Thoughts?

schuelma said:
So looking at the roster for 2014, from my untrained eye we look pretty solid in midfield and maybe forward, but questions at defense.

At forward we should have Altidore (who I still think can be a very good player with more seasoning) and hopefully Davies.

Midfield- Bradley is only 22, Edu is 24, then Torres and Holden should be hitting their prime. One question- will Donovan at 32 and Dempsey at 31 still be in top form? Seems like that's the outer edge of being in their prime. If they are still in good form midfield looks like a clear strength.

Defense..hmm..Gooch should still be available. Maybe Spector will be ready by then. Maybe Bornstein? Seems like the weakest position.

Goalie..Howard should still be in good form right?

Thoughts?

How is Feilhaber? He did really well when coming in for us, gave us a bit of a spark.

I don't think we'll see Dempsey at 31, but I do think we'll see Donovan because of his star status now. I'd like to make sure we have great subs for them though because conditioning is going to be a factor.

Howard fortunately plays the one position where he could still play, but he's also getting up there in years. I would be sad, but not surprised, to see some fresh blood in the net.

NoRéN

talisayNon said:
Our strikers need to be killed and get some training with king kai, then we'll resurrect them with the dragon balls when time comes.
:lol
...I can't help but feel as if this was our "golden generation". Feel like the opportunity slipped away.

Mindlog

NoRéN said:
...I can't help but feel as if this was our "golden generation". Feel like the opportunity slipped away.

It was quite possibly the weakest group leading into the softest path to the semi-finals the US will ever see.

Sounders playing in 1/2 hour.

rar

NH Apache said:
Who are these people?

leonardo araujo, former brazilian player and ac milan coach

david moyes, coach of everton fc

neither are realistic

NoRéN said:

who makes this the 'golden generation'? donovan and dempsey? both are replaceable

East Lake

daegan said:
Trust me when I say these things happen already, thanks to groups like American Outlaws and Sam's Army. When the USMNT plays close enough to you where you can go, get tickets for the supporters' section through one of these groups and come on out; you'll learn 100 songs by the time the game's over.
That's good to hear, not that we would have heard anything this time around with the vuvuzelas...

Watch them catch on at the next world cup.
:/

Subitai

Antimatter said:
That's good to hear, not that we would have heard anything this time around with the vuvuzelas...

Watch them catch on at the next world cup.
:/
Oh no, please no, no, no.

Mindlog said:
It was quite possibly the weakest group leading into the softest path to the semi-finals the US will ever see.
This is what burns me, such a relatively open path, you rarely get that opportunity, I wish they had taken advantage....

Mindlog

Sounders crushed 3-1 today. In front of a Phili crowd. gah

I have to stop cheering for teams.

The Outlaws are doing a good job filling a role that isn't quite served by Sam's Army. Young though so there's a lot of room for growth.

MLS crowds are starting to get proper rowdy. I don't know who is feeding who, but I hope that enthusiasm can also help feed US FFS crowds.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I watched my first DC United game. It was a bad day watching both the US and my home team lose. Didn't DC used to be really good?

Fox318

Why isn't there a stickie thread for soccer/football? You'd figure with the world cup and mls/ international leagues that gaf would have enough of a follow[/LIST]ing to make those threads interesting. It would certaintly help educate GAF members on where to watch/follow good football.

NH Apache

Banned
Fox318 said:
Why isn't there a stickie thread for soccer/football? You'd figure with the world cup and mls/ international leagues that gaf would have enough of a follow[/LIST]ing to make those threads interesting. It would certaintly help educate GAF members on where to watch/follow good football.

It was never stickied, but there was a Blaburn megathread. Not sure why it was closed...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Apologies if I posted this here (I don't think I did), but I have started a blog for new/casual US soccer fans that want to get more into the game and follow the team/sport more closely:

http://soccernewbies.posterous.com/

1) I'm looking for contributors. I'll burn out if I try to do it all myself. If anyone wants to blog a little, ping me!

2) Any promotion anyone is willing to give it would be very appreciated. A tweet, FB post, or any other heads up to your social circle that this blog is designed to help new fans pay more attention to soccer... would be very helpful.

Subitai

Fox318 said:
I'm not sure why the official thread is not stickied other than there isn't quite enough interest in gaf in general.

As far as MLS, someone might want to start a thread, but I'm sure it wouldn't merit a sticky unless it got unexpectedly high traffic.

The college football threads get regular traffic, probably more than the NHL threads, especially in season and they don't get a sticky either.

NH Apache

Banned
Subitai said:
I'm not sure why the official thread is not stickied other than there isn't quite enough interest in gaf in general.

As far as MLS, someone might want to start a thread, but I'm sure it wouldn't merit a sticky unless it got unexpectedly high traffic.

The college football threads get regular traffic, probably more than the NHL threads, especially in season and they don't get a sticky either.

Whoops. I would have sworn that it had been closed and locked at some point....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom