• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atlagev said:
As long as it is Manchester United, you're making the right choice. ;-) Tim Howard plays for Everton, and Landon may be going back there, so it's a great choice. Dempsey plays for Fulham. Arsenal is another fun team to watch.

As far as extra channels, well, there are "other ways" to see the games, but I don't think I can talk about that on here?

Fixed

jjasper said:
I am glad they recognize this. Yeah we got through the group but that was only because we had one of the easiest in the finals. Yeah the team played hard but this team should have never fallen behind 2 goals to Slovenia and the inability for our Defenders to do any sort of defending is unacceptable as is giving up so many goals within the first 10 mins of a match.

fixed.

Our shitty ass defense was a much bigger issue imo

I've been pretty diligent watching the last 2 world cups, and Olympic soccer when that comes around, just can't seem to get into any of the pro-leagues though. For one thing, they are never on tv.

To be completely honest, I can't see myself following MLS. It has a stigma right now and I just couldn't see myself getting into it. Doesn't help that Pittsburgh doesn't have a club. I've always supported Pittsburgh, not going to jump on any other city, especially not Philadelphia!

Still trying to get my head around how the European leagues/cups work.

I've got it that every country has it's own league (US has MLS, England has EPL). The Champions league is a European only tournament taking only the best clubs from each eligible country, right? The winner of this tournament qualifies for the Fifa Club World Cup (Which is basically taking the "Champions club" from each continent, correct?) Can someone tell me the difference between Champions League and Europa League?

Seems like there is a lot to keep up with. Doesn't even include the under 21 stuff.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Liara T'Soni said:
Still trying to get my head around how the European leagues/cups work.

I've got it that every country has it's own league (US has MLS, England has EPL). The Champions league is a European only tournament taking only the best clubs from each eligible country, right? The winner of this tournament qualifies for the Fifa Club World Cup (Which is basically taking the "Champions club" from each continent, correct?) Can someone tell me the difference between Champions League and Europa League?

Seems like there is a lot to keep up with. Doesn't even include the under 21 stuff.

Europa cup is like the consolation prize. Like the NIT tourney, if you follow NCAA Basketball, at all. The best club teams play in Champion's League. The next-best play in Europa cup. The ones below that... play nowhere, after the regular season.

There is a Fifa club world cup, but at least for now no one really seems to give a shit about it.

Re: MLS - I myself am trying to follow it more, this season. It helps that I live near a team (San Jose), though. One easy place to start with MLS is just to watch the weekly primetime game? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Primetime_Thursday

It's a pretty easy way to at least show the MLS a little attention and learn the clubs/players a bit.

GDJustin

Clydefrog said:
Going straight from World Cup football to MLS is going to be tough for you newcomers..

I've made the determination that it makes more sense for me than arbitrarily picking an EPL team to follow. That's what everyone suggested I do to get more into soccer (just start watching EPL or La Liga).

But my stance is unless you're actively following a team, you won't truly get into the drama of a sport. And any EPL squad I follow would just be picked at random, which seems... stupid.

It's not like I don't understand the quality of play in MLS is lower. I just think watching MLS and supporting San Jose is the best way to support US Soccer...

Edit: And just because we're new to soccer doesn't mean we're morons. I think everyone would expect a big drop off in quality of play...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I agree it's hard as hell to root for a team from someplace you've never even lived. That's why Simmons's picking an EPL team felt so halfhearted and he never really followed through. Cheers to those who can do it; but I find it tough. It is much easier to cheer for/against certain styles though. Just like people will become Suns fans for example, so that's not a terrible route to go.

Atlagev

AstroLad said:
I agree it's hard as hell to root for a team from someplace you've never even lived. That's why Simmons's picking an EPL team felt so halfhearted and he never really followed through. Cheers to those who can do it; but I find it tough. It is much easier to cheer for/against certain styles though. Just like people will become Suns fans for example, so that's not a terrible route to go.

He sort of followed through this year... I mean, he watched a lot of games, but he's not the hardest of hardcore Spurs supporters. In truth, it's hard to be a real "fan" of a team (at least for me) unless you have a real connection to the place.

Just do what I do: Pick one team in every league you hate (and I have reasons for all of these, believe you me ;-) ) Man U in the Premiership, Real Madrid in La Liga, Juventus in Serie A, and Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga. It's easier to hate than it is to love. :)

Cerebral Assassin said:
How often have Bundesliga teams made it to the Semi-Final/Final of the Champions League in the last 5 years?

Germany is just slightly behind england in winners/runners up....which is behind spain and italy.

But Bayern has more semifinal appearances than any english team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Cup_and_UEFA_Champions_League_records_and_statistics#By_nation

-------------

Also:

USA-Ghana World Cup Match Draws Largest US Soccer Audience In History Of 19.4 Million

A combined US audience of 19.4 million average viewers for the USA-Ghana World Cup match on Saturday make it the largest US audience for a soccer match in history, topping the 1994 World Cup final match between Brazil and Italy.
Most Watched Soccer Games in the U.S.

Rank Date Game Network(s) Viewers
1 6/26/2010 USA-Ghana ABC/Univision 19.4 million
2 7/17/1994 Brazil-Italy ABC/Univision 18.1 million
3 7/10/1999 USA-China (women) ABC 18.0 million
4 6/12/2010 USA-England ABC/Univision 17.1 million
5 7/09/2006 Italy-France ABC/Univision 17.0 million

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/2...nce-in-history-of-19-4-million/55532#comments

NOTE: Like all TV ratings, these are home numbers only, bars, stadiums, park events etc are never counted.

Clydefrog

jamesinclair said:
Germany is just slightly behind england in winners/runners up....which is behind spain and italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Cup_and_UEFA_Champions_League_records_and_statistics#By_nation

-------------

Also:

USA-Ghana World Cup Match Draws Largest US Soccer Audience In History Of 19.4 Million

A combined US audience of 19.4 million average viewers for the USA-Ghana World Cup match on Saturday make it the largest US audience for a soccer match in history, topping the 1994 World Cup final match between Brazil and Italy.
Most Watched Soccer Games in the U.S.

Rank Date Game Network(s) Viewers
1 6/26/2010 USA-Ghana ABC/Univision 19.4 million
2 7/17/1994 Brazil-Italy ABC/Univision 18.1 million
3 7/10/1999 USA-China (women) ABC 18.0 million
4 6/12/2010 USA-England ABC/Univision 17.1 million
5 7/09/2006 Italy-France ABC/Univision 17.0 million

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/2...nce-in-history-of-19-4-million/55532#comments

NOTE: Like all TV ratings, these are home numbers only, bars, stadiums, park events etc are never counted.

Wow, it only took SIXTEEN YEARS.

I am still watching the games but FIFA has really turned me off to supporting Soccer in the US
I hope that shit never really takes off around here, not without some technology to fix some of the issues we seen. I rather watch Golf without Tiger Woods for 3 hours than to watch Refs fuck up on goals.

Keeping a good sport in the dark ages is just stupid, can't support FIFA

faridmon

Cerebral Assassin said:
English teams were banned for a period of time, which is why I said in the last 5 years. A German side hasn't won the Champions League since 2001.
I wouldn'gt be surprised if Bundesliga becomes bigger and more viable in the next 3 or 4 years considering the finacial stability. At least they don't overrate players like Lescot who isn't worth what Man City paid for him, but hey we got the money.

The price flactuation is becominga real threat in devoloping the PL now which might bite us later real hard...
Atlagev said:
Just do what I do: Pick one team in every league you hate (and I have reasons for all of these, believe you me ;-) ) Man U in the Premiership, Real Madrid in La Liga, Lazio in Serie A, and Shalke in the Bundesliga. It's easier to hate than it is to love. :)
fixed ;)

GDJustin

Re: ratings -

DEF. great news. There's no way to spin largest soccer audience ever as a negative.

BUT... it is a little bittersweet. Can you imagine how crazy the country would have gone if the US would have won? And how much hype there would be about USA - URU?

Even crazier is that the US would have had a halfway decent shot at winning THAT match, too. I mean, much better than being matched against Holland or Brazil or Germany, at least.

Such an opportunity squandered! The team would have been national heros and soccer interest would have skyrocketed.

The US is unlikely to have a path this favorable in... lord knows how long.

Atlagev

Smiles and Cries said:
I am still watching the games but FIFA has really turned me off to supporting Soccer in the US
I hope that shit never really takes off around here, not without some technology to fix some of the issues we seen. I rather watch Golf without Tiger Woods for 3 hours than to watch Refs fuck up on goals.

Believe me, no one likes FIFA. *NO ONE*. But, to me, it seems a waste to not support U.S. soccer (especially when they're some of the most down-to-earth, likable athletes in all of sports.)

To be honest, this World Cup has had some of the most shocking calls I've ever seen. *Shocking*. And I watch a lot of soccer. It's just a shame they've been on the biggest stage.

You're right in that there's a lot to love about the game, but there's stuff that drives me (and most other soccer fans) mad as well. I guess my hope is that they'll eventually change things, but FIFA is slow as molasses to react. Hopefully, *hopefully* this World Cup will make them open their eyes on a few things, but I'm not holding my breath.

Atlagev

faridmon said:

Glad to see we agree on Man U and Real (I don't like SS Lazio, either), but how could you hate Schalke?! They haven't won the title in like 300 years! I feel for Schalke fans, I really do.

rar

AstroLad said:
yep it's rough. i still say if we start edu and buddle we win that fucking game. :/

if we have jermaine jones, charlie davies, and onyewu all fit we wouldve had a good shot at making the quarters

then again, if ghana had essien.. the world cup is all about depth

All this talk of who should have started in the Ghana game and the lack of Davies makes me bummed out knowing we could have really gone far in this tournament. I think we really could have made it to the Semifinals.

Argh!

daoster

AstroLad said:
yep it's rough. i still say if we start edu and buddle we win that fucking game. :/

Meh. These "ifs" If Capello had started Joe Cole from the beginning, England might have dominated all their games, brimming with confidence and would be facing Argentina up next. If only the officials saw that Tevez was offside, Mexico wouldn't have lost confidence and could have upset Argentina. If only Charlie Davies wasn't injured, we could have gotten farther in the tournament.

Clark was responsible for the first goal, but that second goal would have happened anyways, whether it was Clark, or Edu, or Torres playing that goal would have happend. That's what I think anyways.

AstroLad said:

For fans of the US National team, its not hard to choose EPL teams, at least I don't think so. Go with the teams with the American connections! Fulham is the obvious one. My favorite player, Brian McBride, will be forever immortalized there (the official sports bar for Fulham is called the Brian McBride bar!) and Clint Dempsey on his debut, became an instant hero, single handedly keeping the team afloat by scoring against Liverpool (a very beautiful goal).

Other wise, you can follow Everton with Tim Howard or Aston Villa for Brad Friedel and Guzan. From there on out, you begin to love the other players, and you get sucked into the drama that goes along with it.

jamesinclair said:
Cerebral Assassin said:
How often have Bundesliga teams made it to the Semi-Final/Final of the Champions League in the last 5 years?

The answer to the question you're avoiding is 1. Compared to 10 times for Premier League teams.

Another way to think about it is that over the last 5 years, EPL teams have accounted for 50% of the slots in the semifinals. Or double the amount of the next league.

Damn that ESPN brainwashing.

Daigoro

well FUCK. havent been back to gaf in a few days. just wanted to chime in and commiserate.

i certainly dont think we failed to meet expectations. im not sure who expected us to get out of the round of 16 before the tournament started. of course when we saw that we had Ghana things looked promising, but we failed to deliver.

that made the knockout that much more disappointing. before hand i never expected that we'd get any farther. i certainly hoped that we would though.

certainly time for Bob to go. we had a good run Bob, but its time to move on. he made some really fucking confusing decisions...

it was a heartbreaking loss, but ill never stop supporting US Soccer. better luck next time around boys.

Daigoro

GDJustin said:
It's a little sad that in my topic about getting more into soccer, everyone suggested watching the Premier League. I get that it's the highest level of competition, but it seems like it becomes self-defeating for US soccer.

If the US is coming down from soccer fever, what SHOULD happen is that it should translate into higher cable ratings for MLS games, higher attendance for MLS games. Not even more EPL attention.

These two things = more money for the league = higher salary caps = better international players.

US soccer is on the tipping point, but it seems fans are content to never have the sport take off domestically.

Edit: To put it another way, it boils down to MONEY. With money, the MLS can pay players more, less homegrown players will go overseas, etc. And more interest in US soccer SHOULD translate into more money.

yeah dude this shit is unfortunate. i posted about this in another thread some US gaffer posted about following/figuring out international competitions, but it probably got buried under all of the eurosnobbery.

if you support the US soccer program, you should at least attempt to follow/support MLS. it is our local homegrown league. most if not all of the current guys from our national team play or have played in MLS.

its not an elite league, but there are only a few of those and people all over the world follow their local non elite league.

its entertaining (depending on how shitty your team is doing that season. dont ask me about the Revs this year! :lol), its cheap, and its US soccer and deserves some attention.

its just as easy to follow as the EPL. if you have Espn and FSC you get 2 games of the week. you can also watch online.

bottom line: if you support MLS you are supporting US soccer.

GDJustin said:
I've made the determination that it makes more sense for me than arbitrarily picking an EPL team to follow. That's what everyone suggested I do to get more into soccer (just start watching EPL or La Liga).

But my stance is unless you're actively following a team, you won't truly get into the drama of a sport. And any EPL squad I follow would just be picked at random, which seems... stupid.

It's not like I don't understand the quality of play in MLS is lower. I just think watching MLS and supporting San Jose is the best way to support US Soccer...

Edit: And just because we're new to soccer doesn't mean we're morons. I think everyone would expect a big drop off in quality of play...

+1000.

Props to you man! If only more Americans had that mindset MLS would be much farther along than it is right now. They sit around and complain about the quality while doing nothing to help increase it. They want the world's best to come here before dropping a single dime into MLS and they are fucking idiots to think it works that way.

I myself fell in love with the game during the 2006 WC. Once the tournament ended I immediately wanted more. I soon discovered club competitions and came to find there was an MLS team right in my very city. Nothing beats heading out to the stadium and seeing the team that represents me and my city week in and week out.

So let these guys bad mouth the domestic league and let them watch shitty streams of Euro teams while dreaming of one day being able to walk into the Nou Camp or Old Trafford. I'll be downing beers sitting 15 feet away from the pitch supporting my town and my team.

Clydefrog said:
Wow, it only took SIXTEEN YEARS.

Not a fair comparison.

It's all about the timezone.

1994 - Perfect
1998 - Meh
2002 - Terrible
2006 - Meh
2010 - Meh

So the fact that 2010 has grown so much from 2006 and 1998 is a very good sign.

Brazil will be even better. The times wont be perfect (match times will be set to benefit europe) but theyll be better than this time (no more 4:30am!)

On top of that, I expect the final to be the highest rated game, as usual, unless the final is Japan-Ghana.

Squirrel Killer said:
The answer to the question you're avoiding is 1. Compared to 10 times for Premier League teams.

Another way to think about it is that over the last 5 years, EPL teams have accounted for 50% of the slots in the semifinals. Or double the amount of the next league.

Damn that ESPN brainwashing.

I avoided the question because 5 years is a random number. Why ignore history?

And as someone else mentioned, the free-spending ways of the PL will soon come bite them in the ass.

On top of that, Libertadores > UEFA champions league in every single way.

ATF487

Daigoro said:
yeah dude this shit is unfortunate. i posted about this in another thread some US gaffer posted about following/figuring out international competitions, but it probably got buried under all of the eurosnobbery.

if you support the US soccer program, you should at least attempt to follow/support MLS. it is our local homegrown league. most if not all of the current guys from our national team play or have played in MLS.

its not an elite league, but there are only a few of those and people all over the world follow their local non elite league.

its entertaining (depending on how shitty your team is doing that season. dont ask me about the Revs this year! :lol), its cheap, and its US soccer and deserves some attention.

its just as easy to follow as the EPL. if you have Espn and FSC you get 2 games of the week. you can also watch online.

bottom line: if you support MLS you are supporting US soccer.

hey, a revs fan!

I live 20 minutes from Gillette but I never go to the games because the atmosphere is so terrible...I really wish Kraft would pony up for a soccer specific stadium. I'd go to a lot more games, even if they are playing really terribly this year.

shoplifter

^^^^ good luck with that. I'm pretty sure I remember reading him saying something like "having them both in one stadium is working out quite nicely for us." it's pretty sad that you guys and United still don't have your own places in spite of being original clubs. Even KC are getting their own digs.

Smiles and Cries said:
The game thrives in spite of FIFA, not because of it.

While I enjoy watching Spurs, I'll probably be putting more energy into supporting St. Pauli this year as I may actually be able to see them on TV due to their promotion.

The Crew are always first in my heart, though.

cashman

Banned
If Landon Donovan signs with Everton, then it should be easy for Americans to get behind, both him and Howard. I'd switch allegiances from my current team easily.

ATF487 said:
hey, a revs fan!

I live 20 minutes from Gillette but I never go to the games because the atmosphere is so terrible...I really wish Kraft would pony up for a soccer specific stadium. I'd go to a lot more games, even if they are playing really terribly this year.

Atmosphere isnt that bad, depending on the rival. Obviously, this season sucks....

Mindlog

kpop100 said:
WTF that was the 1st most watched US soccer game ever until the US vs Ghana match.

The Chastain game. The final ended in PKs. I hate PKs, but I admit they create dramatic television.

I'm like FIFA and their stupid 'controversy is good' policy

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
When do some other leagues start up? I know PL starts in August. I just want to watch as much soccer as possible and get into it. I have MLS to watch right now.

ATF487

jamesinclair said:
Atmosphere isnt that bad, depending on the rival. Obviously, this season sucks....

I just think having only half the seats available for purchase makes the stadium feel really empty, and it never feels like the home of the Revolution. I've had good times at minor league baseball games (woo pawsox) so I'd much prefer a smaller, more intimate stadium for MLS

^^^^ good luck with that. I'm pretty sure I remember reading him saying something like "having them both in one stadium is working out quite nicely for us." it's pretty sad that you guys and United still don't have your own places in spite of being original clubs. Even KC are getting their own digs.

Man, I can't believe we're second to KC in anything. There was an update on the revs site saying that they were looking into a nearby suburb (Somerville) of Boston for a stadium but who knows how long it'll take them to decide on it, and then to build it.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
AstroLad said:

In my case, if I had to pick an english team, it would be something in like the 10th Division or something.

I think the best thing that could happen to FIFA is for the Champions league clubs to try to break from FIFA and start their own league- I've heard rumblings about that.

rar

sazabirules said:
When do some other leagues start up? I know PL starts in August. I just want to watch as much soccer as possible and get into it. I have MLS to watch right now.

almost all of the european leagues (serie a, la liga, bundesliga, ligue 1) start in late august too

sazabirules said:

You're in luck.

The best tournament in the world (after the world cup), the Libertadores, usually ends in June, but they stopped for the world cup.

Only the semifinals and finals left, starting up a couple weeks after the world cup ends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Copa_Libertadores#Knockout_stages

cashman said:
If Landon Donovan signs with Everton, then it should be easy for Americans to get behind, both him and Howard. I'd switch allegiances from my current team easily.

I don't know that Donovan really wants to go to Europe now. He's already 28, he may have the 2014 World Cup in him but really beyond that his international career is in it's twilight. He will certainly help us qualify for 2014, not as if that's a challenge or anything, the current CONCACAF arrangement will have USA and Mexico and some 3rd team qualifying in perpetuity.

RBH

Manchester City may be looking at Landon Donovan:

BLOEMFONTEIN, South Africa – Landon Donovan’s pain over the United States’ World Cup exit could be eased by a lucrative transfer to the world’s richest soccer club.

Yahoo! Sports has learned that English Premier League team Manchester City has identified Donovan as one of its top targets in the gigantic summer spending spree by owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a member of the ruling family of Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.

Man City sent a scout to watch Donovan “in all four games” that the American played during the World Cup, according to a source who is familiar with the team’s player acquisition dealings. Another source close to the club confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that there is “significant interest” in Donovan.

Donovan will earn $2,127,777.78 with his current employer, the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, in 2010. However, the English club would be able to offer a far greater salary, one in the region of $4 million a year.
Another factor that could entice City would be the prospect of additional reach and exposure in the North American market, with Donovan’s profile and popularity at an all-time high.

While Donovan’s form during the World Cup was not always at its best, he proved himself as a clutch performer under pressure. His game-winning goal against Algeria, which saved the USA from elimination in the group stage, came with just two minutes of injury-time remaining.

Even in the disappointing round-of-16 defeat to Ghana on Saturday night, Donovan held his nerve with a coolly taken penalty kick to level the score at 1-1 in the 62nd minute.

Man City has historically operated in the shadow of its cross-town rival Manchester United, one of the most successful teams in English and European club soccer history. But since being purchased by Sheikh Mansour and his consortium of uber-rich oil magnates in 2008, the team’s fortunes have been transformed.

More than $250 million has been invested in the squad, including high-profile signings such as Togo striker Emmanuel Adebayor (formerly of EPL side Arsenal), Argentina forward Carlos Tevez (Man United) and Brazil forward Robinho (Real Madrid). Man City’s next goal is a top-four finish in the Premier League and a place in the UEFA Champions League.

Donovan would represent solid value for the ambitious club. He would likely cost around $12 million in transfer fees, which would be paid by Man City and split between the Galaxy and Major League Soccer.

Everton of the EPL has been keen on acquiring Donovan full-time after he spent a highly successful loan spell there at the start of this year. If there is a bidding war, however, there will only be one winner – City.

According to numerous reports in the British press, City is poised to sign Spanish midfielder David Silva, who can operate as either an attacking central midfielder or a winger. Donovan would most likely be used on the right wing, the position he occupies for the U.S.
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wo...-eyeing-donovan--fbintl_ro-donovan062710.html

2nd reminder:

American fans in secondary cities. Your team may be competing in the US Open Cup. Every team in america is allowed to participate, the winner gets a slot in the CONCACAF Champions league (and the winner of that goes to the club world cup).

More info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup

Upcoming games (round of 16)

(MLS teams in bold)
Tuesday, June 29
New York Red Bulls at Harrisburg City Islanders, 7 p.m.
Richmond Kickers vs. D.C. United at Fairfax, Va., 7:30 p.m.
Rochester Rhinos at Columbus Crew, 7:30 p.m.
Charleston Battery at Chicago Fire, 8:30 p.m.
Miami FC at Houston Dynamo, 8:30 p.m.
AC St. Louis at Los Angeles Galaxy, 10:30 p.m.
Austin Aztex vs. Chivas USA at Fullerton, Calif., 10:30 p.m.
Wednesday, June 30
Seattle Sounders at Portland Timbers, 10:30 p.m.

Dartastic said:
I'm just super stoked because next year, Portland is going to have a MLS team. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :D

I'm already looking forward to the beatings you'll receive from the Sounders. The Vancouver Whitecaps will be padding our win totals too next year. It's a good time to be the Sounders, I must say. THE SEATTLE XBOX360S UBERALLES! :lol

Dartastic

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm already looking forward to the beatings you'll receive from the Sounders. The Vancouver Whitecaps will be padding our win totals too next year. It's a good time to be the Sounders, I must say. THE SEATTLE XBOX360S UBERALLES! :lol

I'm looking forward to the bitter, bitter rivalry. :lol

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Unknown Soldier said:

Maybe you'll be in 6th place then? :D Don't worry my team is in 8th.

Anybody posted that EPL flowchart yet?

I was born in the US, but started supporting Arsenal when I was 11 or 12 once we got cable and I could watch the matches on Fox Sports World (now FSC). I'm not sure what attracted me. I don't think it was a bandwagon-type thing; I just really liked their style of playing, and they had Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp, two of my favorite players. So I've been following them for years now. I never got into La Liga or any of the other leagues (although I do support Nice since I spent my summers near there). And, I'm sad to say, even though I live in LA, I've never once seen a Galaxy game. I know, shame on me.

So my advice to people here in the US who want to get into the Premier League or something similar is to watch a few matches and see which team you're drawn to. Maybe you like some of the players from the World Cup, maybe you just like the team's jersey or sponsor, maybe you spent a couple weeks in that city once, whatever. Who knows, you might eventually form a pretty strong attachment. If not, just enjoy the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom