• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
It took 15 minutes for your registration? I hit submit and was able to watch the match right after.

I got an error message the first three times I tried to watch, saying it might take 15 minutes to process my registration.

xbhaskarx

New MLS playoff format

2011playoffs.png

daoster

Essentially 10 teams...out of 18...in the playoffs. Nuff said about that.

Grant Wahl wrote a short article about Michael Bradley in Sports Illustrated :

When U.S. midfielder Michael Bradley made his first trip to watch English Premier League games, he felt an admiration bordering on reverence. Bradley was 16, and he recalls his fascination with the players' speed, power and commitment, to say nothing of the fans' unwavering support for those who gave the maximum effort for 90 minutes. "I think that's something special," says Bradley, who moved to the Premier League's Aston Villa on loan from Germany's Borussia Mönchengladbach at the end of January. "It was eye-opening for me. It's always been something I wanted, to come and play here."

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Essentially 10 teams...out of 18...in the playoffs. Nuff said about that.

Actually, that's NOT enough said about that.
Although not perfect, it's a much better playoff format for numerous reasons, the only real downside is 10 of 18 teams. So as long as they're keeping the 10 team format even as the league continues to expand to 20 and then 22 by the end of this decade (according to Garber), it's fine. Yes, if they expand it further that would suck, but we don't know that's the case.
The new playoff format places much more emphasis both on finishing with the most points (they get to play the lower ranked wild card team) and finishing in the top three in the division (as opposed to finishing in the top eight overall).

Clydefrog

daoster said:
Maurice Edu scored today in the final minutes of a nervy game for Rangers...his goal puts Rangers through to the Round of 16 in the Europa League!

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/djalo-edu-goals-sportingrangers-8592346/

Maurice EDU!

EDIT: If that video doesn't work, use this: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2011/02/video_maurice_edu_scores_equal.html

Way to go, Edu! But WOW at that Sporting defense :lol

There were 3 other Rangers players capable of scoring that goal.

xbhaskarx

USSoccer has an interview with Michael Bradley about his move to Aston Villa

Charlie Davies on MLS Extra Time Radio

Bobby Wood:
US U20 forward Bobby Wood on in the 73rd minute for 1860 Munich in their game against FC Union Berlin
Bobby Wood part of the build up for the game-winning goal for 1860 Munich in the 88th minute. 1860 defeat FC Union Berlin 1-0

CONCACAF semifinals: U17 MNT is facing Jamaica on ESPN3.com in a few minutes

U-17 MNT vs. Jamaica | 02/25/2011 | 7 p.m. ET | Catherine Hall Stadium; Montego Bay, Jamaica

U-17 #USMNT Starters tonight: McIntosh, Smith, Fehr, Koroma, E Rodriguez, Guido, Pelosi (capt), Amon, Salkicic, Carroll, McBean

xbhaskarx

69ef9d69-9dd3-4612-a558-fc7b901199f3.Large.jpg

Feb. 25, 2011: U-17 MNT vs. JAM Highlights
The U-17 Men's National team defeated Jamaica 2-0 to book their spot in the CONCACAF U-17 Championship final. Goals from Marc Pelosi and Andrew Oliver helped the young U.S. team grab a win in front of a boisterous home crowd.

The final begins in an hour:
U.S. Under-17 Men vs. Canada
Catherine Hall Stadium; Montego Bay, Jamaica
Feb. 27, 2011 @ 7 p.m. ET
ESPN Deportes, ESPN3.com and CONCACAF.com

US starters:
McIntosh; Smith, Sounders, Carroll, Amon; E Rodriguez, Dunn, Pelosi, Serna; Oliver, M Rodriguez

U.S. Set to Play Canada for CONCACAF Under-17 Championship

# The United States has a record of 46-9-10 all time at this event with 171 goal scored and 57 against.
# Canada has yet to allow a goal in this tournament and has outscored its opponents 11-0 through four games.
# These two teams have met seven times at this event, with the U.S. winning six of those games and losing once back in 1988.
# Andrew Oliver’s goal against Jamaica was his team-high third of the tournament. He improved his career total to seven.
# Marc Pelosi’s goal against Jamaica was his second in as many games. He leads the team with eight goals in 24 international appearances, which is also a team high.
# Six different players have scored the nine U.S. goals: Oliver (3), Pelosi (2), Esteban Rodriguez, Mario Rodriguez, Alfred Koroma and Guido.
# Mobi Fehr and Esteban Rodriguez are the only two U.S. players to have played all 390 minutes through the first four games.
# U.S. head coach Wilmer Cabrera has used four different lineups in those four games, making five changes between the quarterfinal and semifinal starting lineup.
# Canada comes into the championship match having never won a title at this level, and also has never finished in second place.
# Canada has two players who have scored four goals apiece in this tournament in Michael Petrasso and Keven Aleman.

xbhaskarx

10 Year Anniversary of USA vs. Mexico in Columbus, Ohio

“It was the beginning of a shifting of the guards as far as our region and for qualifying. It’s something we’ve maintained and take great pride in as a country, as U.S. Soccer. Even though I’m not currently with the national team, those are the games that we look forward to watching, and as a player those are the games you look forward to being part of. It’s a good benchmark. It set the stage and helped us grow as a country and enhanced the rivalry to a new level.”

-- U.S. goalscorer and Man of the Match Josh Wolff

“I think it was a big turning point in our history, the moment you when decide you are not going to be second best anymore. You go punch for punch and refuse to lose. I think that day we no longer feared Mexico.”

-- U.S. defender Tony Sanneh

USA 2 Mexico 0 highlights from Feb. 28, 2001

Josh Wolff interview

That game, the one in Korea, aired at like 3 AM the day after my 21st birthday. Everyone wanted to go out to bars or some shit, but I had a party at my house and forced everyone to watch the world cup matches whether they wanted to or not.

Needless to say, we enjoyed the shit out of that game.

lush

Wish the game wasn't on a Tuesday night. Still contemplating making the trip from Knoxville for the game, I'd have to make the return trip immediately afterwords though. We'll see....

diddles

Banned
i followed concacaf champions league all the way last season, but haven't been this season. what are they on now? quarter finals? that awkward 3 month break that mls teams go through kinda kills interest. it's like the quarterfinals and beyond are mls spring training games.

edit: also annoying i see that the two US teams are playing each other for elimination already. i'd just like a US team to win it.

xbhaskarx

diddles said:
what are they on now? quarter finals?

This is the quarterfinals so the winner (RSL) will be in the semifinals.

diddles said:
edit: also annoying i see that the two US teams are playing each other for elimination already. i'd just like a US team to win it.

Okay but this matchup guarantees a US team will be in the final four.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It is the quarterfinals now. CONCACAF is heavily biased against the US. Just look at the brackets and how shitty the refs are. RSL is up by 2 goals now.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
sazabirules said:
It is the quarterfinals now. CONCACAF is heavily biased against the US. Just look at the brackets and how shitty the refs are. RSL is up by 2 goals now.

See the other bracket with mexican teams. It's because of Concacaf that we're letting the MLS teams live a little longer.

xbhaskarx

FIFA keep World Cup qualifying slots the same

That's fine, CONCACAF doesn't deserve the extra .5 they wanted and probably should even be .5 lower than they are.
They did get one concession, the .5 may not have to face a South American team.

CONCACAF was thwarted in its attempt to get an extra place at the World Cup when FIFA decided to avoid meddling with the number of qualifying places allocated to each continent for the 2014 tournament in Brazil.

The confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football, had hoped for four places up for grabs but will have to make do with 3.5 after FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said on Thursday the slots would be distributed in exactly the same way as in 2006 and 2010.

One tweak to the qualification process will be a draw to decide who plays who in the playoffs rather than the pairings being decided beforehand.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said the change was made to appease CONCACAF after Costa Rica had to face a tough tie against eventual semi-finalists Uruguay in the playoffs for the 2010 tournament in South Africa.

Clydefrog

Can't wait for the Gold Cup draw.

After missing out on US vs Chile this past January, I will NOT miss out on an A-team USMNT during the Gold Cup at the Home Depot Center or Rose Bowl.

Clydefrog

Hah, I finally get to announce something in this thread.

2011 Gold Cup Groups announced! Here they are:

Mexico, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador
Jamaica, Honduras, Grenada, Guatemala
USA, Canada, Panama, Guadeloupe

USA plays:
Canada in Detroit on June 7th,
Panama in Tampa on June 11th
Guadeloupe in Kansas City on June 14th

Pretty sad that I won’t get to see the USMNT in southern CA unless they make it to the final, which is being played at the Rose Bowl (and I have no idea how expensive those tickets would be)
As far as our group goes, it’s not going to be easy but we should definitely advance out of it. USA – Canada is going to be fun :)

xbhaskarx

21 year old Isaac Acuna, having just scored for the third time in five games, was called up by Mexico.

YA interview from earlier this month
Like so many players now in the US system, Acuna is a dual citizen who was born in the US but also has the option to play internationally for Mexico through his parents.

In light of the spectacular goal against Cruz Azul, many US soccer fans are asking the question whether national team head coach Bob Bradley should consider Acuna for one his future camps.

It is a question that Acuna says he has not really thought about and he believes he still has a long ways to go before receiving any national team call-up.

"The truth is that I haven't thought about it," Acuna said about his international future. "Time will tell but I do know that I first need to improve before joining a national team, but thankfully I am on a good path to do that."

In regards to where his international loyalties currently are, Acuna quips that he will likely suit up for the national team that decides to pick up the phone first to request his services.

"I guess I would choose the one that first calls me," he concluded.

Acuna accepts Mexican U-23 call-up

video

Slizz

It's pretty crazy that Holden IIRC didn't even make an appearance on the pitch during the World Cup, but starts balling immediately after....

EDIT: In one of the top leagues...

xbhaskarx

Slizz said:
It's pretty crazy that Holden IIRC didn't even make an appearance on the pitch during the World Cup, but starts balling immediately after....

EDIT: In one of the top leagues...

He was a substitute at the end of the England game (<10 minutes).
He was still coming back from injury, blame Nigel De Jong for breaking his leg a few months earlier.

Slizz

xbhaskarx said:
He was a substitute at the end of the England game (<10 minutes).
He was still coming back from injury, blame Nigel De Jong for breaking his leg a few months earlier.

Totally forgot he was recovering from that injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom