• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

Actually pretty pumped for the Sounders Galaxy game tonight. 2 good teams with title hopes and it's in Seattle right? Should make for awesome atmosphere.

Side note: I really dislike the commentary for MLS games on ESPN, it seems so lifeless compared to its Euro couterparts

Slizz said:
Actually pretty pumped for the Sounders Galaxy game tonight. 2 good teams with title hopes and it's in Seattle right? Should make for awesome atmosphere.

Side note: I really dislike the commentary for MLS games on ESPN, it seems so lifeless compared to its Euro couterparts

Same here. I'm really excited about the MLS season. Not really sure who I'm pulling for right now, but just want some great soccer.

As for the commentary, all you need to do is get someone with an English accent and pretty much most casual fans will think that guy knows everything about the game.

NoRéN

Gamecocks625 said:
Same here. I'm really excited about the MLS season. Not really sure who I'm pulling for right now, but just want some great soccer.

As for the commentary, all you need to do is get someone with an English accent and pretty much most casual fans will think that guy knows everything about the game.
First part, hell yes! I'm really hoping the NY v. LA rivalry reaches some awesome heights this season.
Second part, lol.

xbhaskarx

Bradley Names 24 Player Roster to Prepare for Friendlies against Argentina and Paraguay

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (3): Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Tim Howard (Everton), David Yelldell (MSV Duisburg)

DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Jonathan Bornstein (UANL Tigres), Timothy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jay DeMerit (Vancouver Whitecaps), Oguchi Onyewu (FC Twente), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United), Zak Whitbread (Norwich City)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Michael Bradley (Aston Villa), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Mikkel Diskeruud (Stabaek), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton Wanderers), Jermaine Jones (Blackburn Rovers), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht)

FORWARDS (3): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (Bursaspor), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt)

xbhaskarx

Rongen Finalizes Roster for CONCACAF Under-20 Championship
U.S. Under-20 MNT Roster By Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Zac MacMath (Philadelphia Union; St. Petersburg, Fla.), Cody Cropper (Ipswich Town; Athens, Ga.)

DEFENDERS (8): Gale Agbossoumonde (Djurgårdens IF; Syracuse, N.Y.), Greg Garza (G.D. Estoril Praia; Grapevine, Texas), Moises Hernandez (FC Dallas; Dallas, Texas), Sacir Hot (New York Red Bulls; Fair Lawn, N.J.), Sebastien Ibeagha (Duke; Missouri City, Texas), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United; Indianapolis, Ind.), Zarek Valentin (Chivas USA; Lancaster, Pa.), Korey Veeder (Columbus Crew; St. Petersburg, Fla.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Sebastian Lletget (West Ham United; San Francisco, Calif.), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union; Sacramento, Calif.), Moises Orozco (UANL Tigres; Oxnard, Calif.), Dillon Powers (Notre Dame; Plano, Texas), Kelyn Rowe (UCLA; Newport Beach, Calif.)

FORWARDS (5): Eder Arreola (UCLA; Chino Hills, Calif.), Conor Doyle (Derby County FC; McKinney, Texas), Joe Gyau (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim; Silver Spring, Md.), Omar Salgado (Vancouver Whitecaps FC; El Paso, Texas),
Bobby Wood (TSV 1860 München; Irvine, Calif.)

xbhaskarx

Create the New USMNT Motto

It's up to you. It's your motto. Get thinking, get writing and submit your motto on Twitter using #redallover.

You have until 12 p.m. PT on March 23 to submit your motto and can enter as many times as you would like.

The most inspirational motto will be announced on or about 3.23 and will be included on the Men's National Team players' jerseys for the USA v Argentina match on March 26 at New Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Good job by my Philadelphia Union who won their opener on the road at Houston grinding out a 1-0 victory after Danny Califf got a rebound goal in the 5th minute after Sebastien Le Toux hit the woodwork all off of a long throw-in. Took us like 25 games last year to get our first shutout, and our new appointed captain Faryd Mondragon pitched one in his first game.

heres the highlights if you want to call them that
http://phitv.neulion.com/mlsvp/console.jsp?catid=1880&id=12720

daegan

I can't fucking wait for June 7. Having the US back here for the first time since 94 is going to be amazing. The best part is I already bought my tickets (supporters' section!) so I can't miss out like I did as a kid back then :D

Anyone coming here from out of town? Shoplifter?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Steve Cherundolo and Zak Whitbread are both out of the roster for the US games along with Holden. Eric Lichaj was called up due to the injuries.

daoster

I haven't been posting a lot since I've recently moved and started a new job and haven't had time to post much....

BUT FUCK EVANS for that fucking tackle on Stuart Holden.

And congrats to Clint Dempsey for being the first American to score 10 goals in the PL.

xbhaskarx

Dartastic said:
I'm waiting in line now for Timbers tickets. Line is maaaaasssivvvvvve. :)

That's great to hear, hopefully there is so much demand that they have to expand the seating capacity.

I know this is all getting a bit confusing but we have a separate MLS thread.

Daigoro

a lot of supporters actually want red as our primary shirt.

USSF is clueless though.

i cant tell from the pics but does the crest look smaller? it appears so, but im not seeing a good image on my phone. that would be great if it was. those giant crests are shitty.

Judderman said:
sogood.gif

I can't wait for Saturday. Red Bulls game then USMNT back-to-back. YES.

Lucky you! except for being a Red Bull fan. im sorry about that. :(

have fun. :)

Slizz

Red Jersey is awesome. Red should be our primary, white secondary and dark blue alternate.

EDIT: and by white I mean the white jersey we had with the thin red stripes going around:

5-259186_white_pd.jpg

xbhaskarx said:
The new red US jersey

photos

store

I want it so badly...but even if I order it now, it won't get to me in time for Saturday, unless I pay out the ass for it, not including adding 'Dempsey' and '8' to it.

I'll probably wait until April 1st so that I can pick it up at the NikeTown in SF. But it won't be personalized.

xbhaskarx

Slizz said:
EDIT: and by white I mean the white jersey we had with the thin red stripes going around:

5-259186_white_pd.jpg

That's the jersey from the 09 Confederations Cup, I really like both that one and the jersey from the 06 World Cup

ld_display_image.jpg

Slizz

xbhaskarx said:
That's the jersey from the 09 Confederations Cup, I really like both that one and the jersey from the 06 World Cup

ld_display_image.jpg

Both are better than white with a grey diagonal stripe that we got going now. I can't understand why Nike just can't get our shit right.... American company, National team....why is it so hard? Why are we asking for slogans when everyone already knows "Don't tread on me"?

xbhaskarx

ESPN has a really good article on Charlie Davies:

The long road to Washington

Davies took missing the World Cup very hard. Especially because of the mind trick he'd played on himself to get through his grueling rehabilitation.

For some time, the conviction was widely held that Davies would make it back in time for South Africa. That appearance was bred by Davies himself, who had told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap on Dec. 4 and reiterated to ESPN.com on Feb. 2 that he expected to be fully fit for the World Cup, which would kick off on June 11. "The World Cup is easy for me to be back for," he said at the time. He had set a timetable for himself, which was never corroborated publicly by any surgeon, physician, physiotherapist or club or federation official. Davies' self-imposed schedule also went unchallenged by an eager fan base, blinded by empathy and all too conscious of the shallow pool of able-bodied U.S. forwards. On Twitter, Davies' account serves as a very intimate record of his mending. In frequent and, as it turns out, wildly optimistic messages, he kept people abreast of his progress throughout the spring of 2010.

"Along every step of the way, I had people tell me it's not normal to be as far along in my rehab as I was," Davies said in the sandwich shop. "I really believed in my heart that I would be back for the World Cup."

Which made it all the more shocking when, on May 11, Davies wasn't on head coach Bob Bradley's preliminary roster for the pre-World Cup training camp in Princeton, N.J. Officially, Davies' club, Sochaux, hadn't cleared him to rejoin the U.S., but it became clear that Davies was still many months away from full fitness.

"I had to fool myself," Davies said about the illusion he created for himself and fans that he had a chance to play in the tournament of tournaments. "Deep down -- deep, deep down -- I knew I was in a whole lot of trouble to get back [in time]. But normally you doubt yourself a lot. So I had to really trick myself into thinking that I was so much further than I was, that I was going to make the World Cup. And I'm glad that I was too optimistic, because that helped me get through so many tough periods. I think that if I wasn't that optimistic I wouldn't have gotten this far and might have not made it."

Bradley had warned him about inflating expectations through Twitter. "You don't want to put yourself in a position where you're making all this progress and yet somehow it seems like a failure because the timing [of your recovery] just doesn't coincide with the World Cup," Bradley had told him.

And so his falling short of his self-anointed goal felt like a defeat.

"It was really the lowest point of the whole process of coming back," Davies said. "When Coach Bradley called me, I cried. That was the first time I really let everything out. That's when I think it all hit me, what had happened, the consequences of my actions. Everything set in at that moment. The absolute hardest thing I've ever had to do was to go to training that day with Sochaux."

But the disappointment was ludicrous, after all, considering where he'd come from. "In these types of situations, where there are multiple traumas to bones and elbows and bladders, the first goal is to get people back to life and to get them to walk and have a meaningful life," said Dr. Mandelbaum, who oversaw Davies' recovery. "To even put on the table to get back for the World Cup was so incredibly out there; it was such an unfathomable challenge." Mandelbaum says that if he'd been asked to give Davies his odds for making a return to professional soccer right after the accident, he would have put them at "close to 0 percent."

"That's not being dramatic, that's just being pragmatic, knowing what the injuries were like," Mandelbaum said. "In the history of sport there are very few athletes to have ever come back from this type of magnitude of injuries. This is a very rare phenomenon to see."

methodman

Banned
Those red jerseys are nice as hell. If I head to San Francisco will definitely cop one from the Nike store out there asap. Really, really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom