• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

Rumor is that DC United might get Charlie Davies on loan.

That would be good, as CD9 would probably get some playing time in.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:

I hope the loan is true for me as a USMNT and a DCU fan.

xbhaskarx

More soccer headed to US televisions...

ESPN has rights for 2012, 2016 Euros

ESPN has acquired U.S. broadcast rights to soccer's European Championship in 2012 and 2016 and will televise every game of both tournaments.

The Union of European Football Associations planned to make the announcement Tuesday.

"Euro is a perfect counterbalance to World Cup, so strategically it makes sense for us," Scott Guglielmino, ESPN's senior vice president for programming, said during a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "The passion involved in national team play at the highest level is something that's incredibly powerful, unlike anything else."

ESPN purchased U.S. broadcast and Internet rights in all languages. The network televised the 2008 Euros and has U.S. English-language rights to its sixth consecutive World Cup in 2014.

Plans include broadcasting Euro matches on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3.com, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Radio and ESPN Mobile.

"With interest in football growing significantly in America, ESPN will no doubt provide great visibility for UEFA's national team competitions through their promotional and programming capacity," Guy-Laurent Epstein, marketing director of UEFA Events, said in a statement.

The 2012 tournament in Poland and Ukraine will have 31 games and runs from June 8 to July 1. The field expands from 16 to 24 teams for the 2016 tournament in France, which will have 51 matches.

ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 -- all owned by The Walt Disney Co. -- averaged a 2.1 rating and 3.26 million viewers for last year's World Cup. The rating was up 31 percent from a 1.6 four years ago.

In 2008, seven Euro matches on ESPN averaged 1.1 million viewers and 17 on ESPN2 averaged 673,000. The 2008 final was the first televised by a U.S. network and received a 2.3 rating and 3.76 million viewers on ABC. The Spanish-language broadcast was seen by 647,000 viewers on ESPN Deportes.

England, a popular team in the U.S., failed to qualify for the 2008 Euros and likely would help increase 2012 ratings if it makes the 16-nation field.

"It's an enormous brand and it would clearly drive some more usage," Guglielmino said.

Last year's World Cup taught ESPN the value of Internet and mobile distribution for soccer, primarily because of games that are during weekday afternoons U.S. time.

"The notion of TV everywhere, really utilizing digital media extensively," Guglielmino said.

ESPN also said it had obtained U.S. rights to numerous Euro qualifiers, including home games of Spain, Germany, France and the Netherlands, as well as games involving England, Italy, Ireland, Scotland and Portugal.

"That's going to help us tell the story earlier on," Guglielmino said.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I bet they put those qualifiers on ESPN3.com. Nice to be able to see those. I wonder if they'll all have English language commentary.

daoster said:

He is going to have a week long training and medical starting tomorrow at DCU training camp to see if they will finalize the deal. Contract and loan details have already neogiated.

Weaselred said:
Bought some tickets for the Cascadia summit this morning.

Build a bonfire Build a bonfire...

Lucky! Both matches or just one? I missed em. If you have extras and want to bring along a member of SoundersGAF...

Weaselred

platypotamus said:
Lucky! Both matches or just one? I missed em. If you have extras and want to bring along a member of SoundersGAF...

Just one for the Portscum match.You aren't alone in missing out. Ticketmaster was a clusterfuck so I'm glad that I froze my ass off and picked it up at Qwest.

Alot of ECS missed out on them and they are PISSED. Sounds like Timbers Army might out number us at the game which is going to bad news bears if this was supposed to be a test run to see if the Supporters Groups could play nice with each other.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
ESPN had Villa playing a 4-4-1-1 yesterday against Manchester United with Ashley Young just behind Bent up top. But the Times match report said they played a 4-2-3-1 with Petrov and Makoun holding behind Albrighton, Young, and Downing. Then Heskey came on for Albrighton and they switched to 4-4-2 with Young moving back to take Albrighton's place.

Either way though Bradley will have his work cut out for him holding down a place in that midfield. Makoun looked really good and Petrov is well established. They had good spells of possession but some bad defensive lapses doomed them.

I just checked the Gold Cup venues, and I'm super excited. Looks like I'm within driving distance of the semis and a group stage match. Here's to seeing two US victories!

Amibguous Cad said:
I just checked the Gold Cup venues, and I'm super excited. Looks like I'm within driving distance of the semis and a group stage match. Here's to seeing two US victories!

Where are the venues?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Gamecocks625 said:
Where are the venues?

Cowboys Stadium - Arlington, TX
The Home Depot Center - Carson, CA
Ford Field - Detroit, MI
Bank of America Stadium - Charlotte, NC
FIU Stadium - Miami, FL
Raymond James Stadium - Tampa, FL
Soldier Field - Chicago, IL
Red Bulls Arena - Harrison, NJ
KC Soccer Stadium, Kansas City, KS
New Meadowlands Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ
RFK Stadium - Washington DC
Reliant Stadium - Houston, TX
Rose Bowl - Pasadena, California

daoster

Guileless said:
ESPN had Villa playing a 4-4-1-1 yesterday against Manchester United with Ashley Young just behind Bent up top. But the Times match report said they played a 4-2-3-1 with Petrov and Makoun holding behind Albrighton, Young, and Downing. Then Heskey came on for Albrighton and they switched to 4-4-2 with Young moving back to take Albrighton's place.

Either way though Bradley will have his work cut out for him holding down a place in that midfield. Makoun looked really good and Petrov is well established. They had good spells of possession but some bad defensive lapses doomed them.

Bradley will be all right. He's worked his way into every team he's played for, and I have no doubt he'll do the same for Aston Villa.

Besides, they've gone through the trouble of getting him on loan for the rest of season, they're not going to waste their time doing that just to have sit on the bench. Petrov practically threw a hissyfit when he was subbed out.

What I'm more worried about is Lichaj...despite showing some glimpse of promises, he's in the doghouse again :(

sazabirules said:
Cowboys Stadium - Arlington, TX
The Home Depot Center - Carson, CA
Ford Field - Detroit, MI
Bank of America Stadium - Charlotte, NC
FIU Stadium - Miami, FL
Raymond James Stadium - Tampa, FL
Soldier Field - Chicago, IL
Red Bulls Arena - Harrison, NJ
KC Soccer Stadium, Kansas City, KS
New Meadowlands Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ
RFK Stadium - Washington DC
Reliant Stadium - Houston, TX
Rose Bowl - Pasadena, California

Wooooooooahhhhh seriously? Man I might have to see my first USMNT game live in person. They rarely come down to the southeast. Ah yeeeaah.

Well assuming they play in that venue.

When will the schedule be released?

Clydefrog

xbhaskarx said:
I can't believe Aston Villa vs Fulham won't be on ESPN or FSC, that is one I wanted to watch on the tv not some crappy stream.

Pretty shitty, I agree. But if you can wait, FSC is going to replay the game later that day.

Still, the ESPN2 game is Stoke vs Sunderland. How EXCITING!

Chelsea vs Liverpool on FSC on Sunday. Sigh. I wanted to watch that in HD.

xbhaskarx

Bunbury files one-time FIFA switch

After previously representing Canada at the youth national team levels, forward Teal Bunbury has formally filed his one-time switch with FIFA that will now permanently bind him to the United States national team.

Bunbury is a dual citizen with the US and Canada and previously represented Canada's U-20 national team in 2009 during the U20 CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers.

Last November, Bunbury announced he was going to play for the US and made his debut against South Africa in a 1-0 win.

Fox318

xbhaskarx

NFL Soccer Jerseys

kd8tj.png

GhBfm.png

he says he's making more

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Gamecocks625 said:
Wooooooooahhhhh seriously? Man I might have to see my first USMNT game live in person. They rarely come down to the southeast. Ah yeeeaah.

Well assuming they play in that venue.

When will the schedule be released?

The schedule exists but the draw for the groups hasn't happened yet.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I can't believe Aston Villa vs Fulham won't be on ESPN or FSC, that is one I wanted to watch on the tv not some crappy stream.

What stream sites are you guys using now? ATDHE.net and .me have been shut down by Homeland Security and that fucking sucks (thank you very much UFC!)

xbhaskarx said:

I was kinda half awake when I saw this post, and I thought I read that Bunbury had a change of heart and decided to go back to Canada...nearly gave me a heart attack!

It kind of makes sense, with both Rossi and Bunbury however. If you love soccer, you want to play in the team that gives you the best chance to A.) Play and B.) Be somewhat successful.

In Rossi's case, he's more likely to win the World Cup with Italy than he is with the U.S., and with Bunbury's case he's more likely to play in a World Cup with the U.S. than he is playing for Canada.

Davies hoping for a fresh start with D.C. United

"There's some times when I feel step-for-step the same, and there's other times where I don't feel just as right," said Davies, who has not played in an official match since a World Cup qualifying 3-2 win over Honduras on Oct. 10, 2009. "Maybe because my confidence isn't up right now, so I think once I get that back up and at full confidence then I think I'll feel exactly the same."

"It's not the city that did this to me, it was myself," said Davies. "It was a bad decision I made, but then you can't forget about the support that I had at RFK that game against Costa Rica. So to play in front of those fans that are so passionate, it's definitely a wonderful feeling to get a chance or opportunity to play in front of them."

When asked on Friday, Davies also admitted a goal of his is to play in front of U.S. national team fans at this summer's Gold Cup. But Davies stated he has to take things one step at a time, starting with doing well enough in the upcoming week to convince D.C. United he is worth keeping.

Piece of humble pie does Davies a body good. Hope DC United helps him get his confidence back. This is something that Adu should be doing, not playing the fucking second division league in Turkey, but taking a fat pay cut and coming back to the states to rebuild his career. He's young, he can still rebuild his tattered career.

Video of Charlie Davies (and DC United) training in Florida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReIJ4N1ktT4&feature=player_embedded

daoster said:
What stream sites are you guys using now? ATDHE.net and .me have been shut down by Homeland Security and that fucking sucks (thank you very much UFC!)

I was kinda half awake when I saw this post, and I thought I read that Bunbury had a change of heart and decided to go back to Canada...nearly gave me a heart attack!

It kind of makes sense, with both Rossi and Bunbury however. If you love soccer, you want to play in the team that gives you the best chance to A.) Play and B.) Be somewhat successful.

In Rossi's case, he's more likely to win the World Cup with Italy than he is with the U.S., and with Bunbury's case he's more likely to play in a World Cup with the U.S. than he is playing for Canada.

Davies hoping for a fresh start with D.C. United

Piece of humble pie does Davies a body good. Hope DC United helps him get his confidence back. This is something that Adu should be doing, not playing the fucking second division league in Turkey, but taking a fat pay cut and coming back to the states to rebuild his career. He's young, he can still rebuild his tattered career.

Video of Charlie Davies (and DC United) training in Florida: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReIJ4N1ktT4&feature=player_embedded
They shut down the other backup as well today. Anybody know if there is a place to watch nPower Championship division, legal or otherwise.

xbhaskarx

I haven't used it yet but I believe the new one is ATDHEnet.tv? If that doesn't work I will be frantically searching for a stream tomorrow morning...

NoRéN

Clydefrog said:
You can still go to ATDHE through its IP: http://88.80.11.29/

uhh.. don't tell anyone
Thanks for the link.

So, just got off the phone with a friend over in England. Looks like he's going to the Villa game v. Fulham. I swear, if Bradley makes a debut I'm going to be pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom