• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Mwanga

Aside from what Mwanga does for an encore with Philadelphia, the biggest question surrounding the Congolese striker is whether he’ll choose to suit up for his native country or the United States. While the Democratic Republic of Congo is currently ranked 128th in the latest FIFA World Rankings, 110 spots behind the US, Mwanga must weigh a more immediate call-up against waiting for his American citizenship.

“I am still thinking about it because I know it is a big decision,” Mwanga said. “Once you make that decision you can’t change your mind after that, but at the same time I still have a year or a year and a half to be eligible to apply for my citizenship. So, I think once the time is going to be right I will think about it, but right now I am just trying to focus on my second year in MLS.”

xbhaskarx

He's 19. He would definitely have made the U20 roster for their upcoming World Cup if he was eligible. In any case it's better to have young guys like Mwanga and Najar choose the US just in case they develop into elite players. Did anyone think Subotic would be this good when he was that age?

daoster

On Andy Najar's Twitter:

what do everyone think....USA or Honduras??

Also, Clint Dempsey never returning to the MLS:

CLINT DEMPSEY will reject offers of an MLS payday at the end of his career.

David Beckham may have deemed the American scene good enough as he winds down – but the ambitious Fulham striker (above) is adamant he won’t play professionally in his homeland again.

Dempsey, 28, told Confidential: “No disrespect to MLS, but I want to finish at the highest level – and that’s in Europe.”

Charlie Davies also apparently had a goal and assist in a scrimmage play. Here's an interview with him for DC United: http://www.dcunited.com/video/2011/02/video-charlie-davies-interview

daoster

D.C. United planning to acquire Charlie Davies, but financial issues remain unresolved

D.C. United is moving forward with plans to acquire forward Charlie Davies on loan but contract issues have not been resolved, the Insider has learned.

In anticipation of a deal possibly being reached, Davies canceled his Friday flight back to France and was planning to accompany the club to Washington on Sunday. If a contract is finalized, he would travel with the team to California next Wednesday for the third stage of preseason camp. In lieu of a formal loan agreement, United asked for -- and received -- permission from Sochaux to extend Davies' time in the United States.

Fuck ESPN for not showing a single FC Dallas game this upcoming season. ESPN trying to turn this into another NBA where they show the same four teams over and over again. And they can't even show a Toronto or Vancouver game? You can say they don't want to show an empty PHP, but they could show them in an away game. They have to have alot of Galaxy games on their schedule because they have to increase the odds that Beckham might be participating.

daoster

Bradley had a decent game...a few ok passes plus a nice block. Tough game to make a debut in...Aston Villa were down to 10 men and weren't really playing really well.

Anyways, hopefully, the start of many more games for Bradley.

daegan

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Fuck ESPN for not showing a single FC Dallas game this upcoming season. ESPN trying to turn this into another NBA where they show the same four teams over and over again. And they can't even show a Toronto or Vancouver game? You can say they don't want to show an empty PHP, but they could show them in an away game. They have to have alot of Galaxy games on their schedule because they have to increase the odds that Beckham might be participating.

Even more surprising given their season last year.

I am posting this now in the hopes that if I accidentally click in this thread before watching the Fulham game that I'm DVRing, I won't scroll past this post and find out what happened/how Dempsey did.

xbhaskarx

U.S. soccer salaries, bonuses

More details to share from the latest U.S. Soccer Federation tax documents, which cover March 31, 2009, through April 1, 2010:

U.S. men's national team coach Bob Bradley earned $818,244 -- about $600,000 in base salary and marketing compensation and the rest in bonuses for Confederations Cup and World Cup qualifying achievements.

Women's coach Pia Sundhage: $219,635.

Men's under-20/youth coach Thomas Rongen: $159,821.

All U.S. men's players who were with the squad for the Confederations Cup or World Cup qualifying cycle received bonuses. The biggest earners in 2009-10: Forward Jozy Altidore and reserve goalkeeper Brad Guzan at $150,639 apiece because they either played or were included on the game-day roster most often. The others were not listed.

USSF chief executive Dan Flynn earned $583,554. Federation President Sunil Gulati is not compensated by the USSF.

Wow these guys don't get paid nearly enough...

daegan

xbhaskarx said:
U.S. soccer salaries, bonuses

Wow these guys don't get paid nearly enough...

the players, i'm not shocked by. playing for their country isn't their job. i guess more than anything i'm surprised Sundhage's pay is so low considering the expectations placed on the women's team...

In a lot of ways, though, Bob is a bargain.

xbhaskarx

Not a huge deal but nice to see, Lichaj doing well again...

Leeds United have a trio of players in this weeks Championship Team of the Week.

Both goalscorers, Max Gradel and Robert Snodgrass made the team as well as new loan signing Eric Lichaj after the team`s impressive 2-0 win at Bristol City.

Full Team
Pereira Ricardo - Leicester
Eric Lichaj - Leeds
Anthony Gerrard - Hull
Ricardo Rocha - Portsmouth
Hermann Hreidarsson - Portsmouth
Robert Snodgrass - Leeds
Seyi Olofinjana - Cardiff
Andy King - Leicester
Max Gradel - Leeds
Grant Holt - Norwich
Ayegbeni Yakubu - Leicester

daoster

Kinda messed up to say, but I'd like to say we're saving the money.

For after 2014 when we hire a more expensive coach.

But yeah, Bob is a big bang for our buck. I remember there being a list of wages for WC coaches, and Bob was near the bottom, yet got us to a decent place in the World Cup.

xbhaskarx said:
Enjoy the elation quickly turning into despair in 90 + 3 minutes.

Yeah, that was a pretty roller coaster ending there at the end. He shouldn't have been allowed to take the penalty, never have the guy who got fouled take the kick, they're always too strung out.

Still, as a Fulham fan, I can't be too upset with a draw against stupid, stupid Chelsea, even if it could have been a win.

I really hope Davies gets his game back at DC United. I'd love to see him at full form again. Originally I was hoping he would be back in time for the Gold Cup, but now I just hope he has regular playing time here in MLS.

daoster

DC United officially announces their 12 month loan of Charlie Davies:

Washington, D.C. – D.C. United announced today that the club has acquired forward Charlie Davies. The Black-and-Red have signed the striker to a loan deal from French side FC Sochaux for the 2011 season. The club used its position in the MLS allocation ranking to acquire the forward. United will hold a press conference in the Volkswagen Lounge at RFK Stadium today at 2:00 p.m. to introduce Davies alongside President and CEO Kevin Payne, General Manager Dave Kasper, and Head Coach Ben Olsen. The press conference will be streamed live on dcunited.com

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to see him play for my club. Hopefully it helps him get back on track with an eventual return to playing abroad and for the USMNT.

daoster

While we're in the break between the cracking Barcelona - Arsenal game...

Here's an SI article on Clint Dempsey:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...16/clint.dempsey/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

In what is becoming a historic season for U.S. soccer star Clint Dempsey, the Fulham midfielder had a chance to shock the English Premier League on Monday. During injury time of a scoreless game with Chelsea, Dempsey did what he does best, creating something out of nothing and drawing a penalty on defender David Luiz. Suddenly Dempsey found himself standing over a spot kick with the chance to steal a victory and, in the process, tie Brian McBride for the most goals scored by an American (10) in an English Premier League season

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
- Playoffs are ingrained into the American sports psyche (unfortunately for soccer).

To continue an argument from over a month ago... link

In 2010, the balanced schedule became reality. There’s no arguing who was the best team from March through October of last year. The LA Galaxy earned their hardware and their Champions League spot.

So, too, did the Colorado Rapids, who weren’t even done taking their MLS Cup victory lap before a vocal minority of fans began questioning their championship bona fides – a silly argument since so many of the most high-profile competitions in the game, including the World Cup, the UEFA Champions League and the Copa Libertadores, are really just playoff-style competitions.

And despite overt snickering in some corners, the North American-style postseason is expanding in the so-called traditional soccer nations.

The English Championship now has a four-team playoff to determine the final promotion spot (there are already talks of expanding it to eight teams and two promotion spots). The 2.Bundesliga has the third-place finisher face the third-from-the-bottom one in the top flight; if the third-placed team loses, it doesn’t get promoted and the third-from-the-bottom doesn’t drop.

In Greece, there’s a playoff to determine European spots. And in Brazil, there were real, actual riots when they discontinued the playoff system a decade ago.

And, of course, the Mexican champion is determined by the liguilla playoffs.

So, yeah, MLS was ahead of the curve when it came to the postseason.

daoster said:
The only reason why MLS is able to have varied winners is thanks to the playoffs system.

While I may enjoy it when a team that doesn't do so well in the regular season being able to enter the playoffs and maybe go on to win the whole thing in other sports like Football and Baseball, I don't care for it all in soccer. If you want varied, then watch Champions League! As far as I can remember, no team (in recent history at least) has won the title back to back.

So the only reason MLS Cup winners are varied is because of the playoff system... which unfortunately for soccer is a bad thing ingrained in the American sports psyche and you don't care for it... and those who want varied winners should watch the UEFA Champions League... which essentially has a playoff system that you just said you don't care for.
So is the reason the UEFA Champions League has had varied winners for a reason other than the playoff system?

daoster

Is somebody really comparing something like the Champions League playoffs, which takes place over the course of the whole European season to the MLS cup, which is just the typical post-season playoffs found in many other American sports?

How exactly do you determine the winner of a tournament anyways? By playoffs, usually. But in most European leagues just because you won the Cup in a tournament with playoffs doesn't mean you're suddenly the winner of the league.

But because of our love of playoffs and that one big final game via NFL post-season and the Superbowl, the winner of the MLS Cup is essentially the winner of the MLS (as opposed to the team that wins the Supporters Shield).

Yes, yes, coaches and players say that they want to win both, and of course, winning the Shield is better than winning nothing, but the fame, the name recognition, and the money goes to the MLS Cup winner, the de-facto winner of the MLS league, not the other way around.

"But hey," you may say, "the winner of the Supporters Shield have been varied too!" Yes, that is true, xbhaskarx, but even though you wrongly accused me of saying that the only reason why MLS has parity is because of the playoffs system, I also listed salary caps, foreign player limits and the MLS Player Draft (also a beast born from the American sport psyche) as reasons why the MLS has more parity than something like say the Spanish league, or the English league.

Daigoro

i actually agree that the MLS Cup is pretty meaningless and kind of a crappy way to end the season. way too much importance is put on what is basically a mini tournament.

more emphasis needs to be placed on the SS and i would love the Open Cup to become a much more fleshed out and important tournament in US soccer.

MLS cup is fun and everything, but it kind of cheapens the rest of the season.

i dont necessarily agree with the idea that its the only reason we have different champs each year though. a lot can happen during a season and parity has been a pretty big factor in determining the SS winners. but yeah it does certainly give teams a chance to "win" who otherwise wouldnt really have had a chance. but things would still be pretty varied compared to some of the bigger leagues around the world.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
There's a CONCACAF Champions League match between the Colombus Crew and Real Salt Lake tomorrow. I'd watch it if I could but I have tests to study for.

daoster

As you've edited to add a particular post to prove your point, you also neglected to quote my post several posts later that mentioned, in additon to play offs, salary caps, foreign player limits, and drafts also make add parity into the MLS season.

ULTIMATELY, this whole thing doesn't address my original point of how I don't care much for MLS, and that I find it boring. You then made the dubious argument that MLS isn't boring...because there are no dominant teams like in La Liga or SPL.

And that's when we got into this whole argument about parity in the MLS started. But again, that doesn't make MLS less boring. Kudos to you if you don't find the MLS boring and if you love MLS, but please don't try to tell me that MLS is somehow less boring than La Liga because it isn't a two horsed race.

As a neutral, I could care less if no team other than Real Madrid or Barcelona have a strong chance of winning the La Liga, as watching that two horsed race is more interesting than watching the 8 horse race that is known as the MLS Cup Playoffs.

xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx said:
# U.S. to Face El Salvador on Tuesday, Feb. 22, in Quarterfinals for a Place in 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup
# Match will be shown live on ESPN Deportes and ESPN3 at 3 p.m. ET

This is going on right now, the US qualifies for the U17 World Cup if they win. US has been to every U17 WC, El Salvador has never been to one.

It's 1-1 in the 10th minute.
MatchTracker

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
You can watch the Colombus vs. RSL game on concacaf.com. Props to the fans who made it out to the match tonight. It doesn't look like that many went out on this freezing night.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
You can watch the Colombus vs. RSL game on concacaf.com. Props to the fans who made it out to the match tonight. It doesn't look like that many went out on this freezing night.

Concacaf.com: what a bullshit site, they make you register to watch videos, and even then you have to wait like 15 minutes for it to process your registration, meaning you get an error message when trying to watch videos even though you're logged in.

Also the crowd has to be in the hundreds, right? Columbus must be in more trouble than almost any other franchise, given their low attendance despite being successful and having a soccer stadium. At least SJ/NE/DC have an excuse...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
xbhaskarx said:
Concacaf.com: what a bullshit site, they make you register to watch videos, and even then you have to wait like 15 minutes for it to process your registration, meaning you get an error message when trying to watch videos even though you're logged in.

Also the crowd has to be in the hundreds, right? Columbus must be in more trouble than almost any other franchise, given their low attendance despite being successful and having a soccer stadium. At least SJ/NE/DC have an excuse...

It took 15 minutes for your registration? I hit submit and was able to watch the match right after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom