• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US: Gamestop giving $50 extra trade credit for PS4, Xbox One, Wii U

How? Unless you are waiting in line during a busy time of the day, I don't understand how it could.

I walk in, hand them my console and say I'd like to trade towards X with promo Y. They scan the old console, check the contents of the box, scan my card, take down my ID info and I pay the difference. Unless there was something suspicious about the console (or you?), then I don't see how that could take longer than 15 minutes.

I put the original 500GB hdd back in my PS4 before I traded it in, and then swapped my 1TB SSHD in the Pro when I got it.

Because they are suppose clear the systems from scratch and test. I guess you have lazy employees where you are at.

If the PS4 is brand new in the box take it to Walmart for giftcards adding up to the amount in exchange. Don't trade a brand new PS4 into Gamestop for 175 credit when you can get more from Walmart.

Yeah because thats legal.

Because they are suppose clear the systems from scratch and test. I guess you have lazy employees where you are at.

Yeah because thats legal.
He can simply tell Wal-Mart the truth which is that he already owns a PS4 and won a brand new sku that he does not need and they will gladly take it off his hands after making sure the seal is not broke. I worked at Wal-Mart for 4 years they are very lenient on swaping out brand new big time seller skus for giftcards. There is no way in hell I would give Gamestop a brand new console for 175 store credit when they will sell it for full retail price.

wtd2009

It's quite decent actually. PS4 was $400, 3 years ago and you're getting close to half of it back. I'd say it's not bad.

I should take advantage of the deal myself once I scrub the data.

not to mention it's hassle-free. i'd go for this if i was a current ps4 owner with a 4k set or game that i was really looking forward to playing a specific game in pro mode.

inner-G

Banned
He can simply tell Wal-Mart the truth which is that he already owns a PS4 and won a brand new sku that he does not need and they will gladly take it off his hands after making sure the seal is not broke. I worked at Wal-Mart for 4 years they are very lenient on swaping out brand new big time seller skus for giftcards.
As long as they carry that SKU/bundle

jjonez18

So the price of the Slim goes down to $249 on the 11th. Can I trade in my PS4 on the 10th for the 175$ then buy the slim on the 11th? Is that how this works?

As long as they carry that SKU/bundle
Yes indeed especially around the holidays because allot of times people will end up getting the same gift twice and when you receive gifts you don't typically receive them with receipts so allot of times people will bring in brand new skus to exchange for gift cards. Wal-Mart will not give you cash in hand without a receipt but they will exchange for gift cards barring the skus match with what they have.

ElNino

I already cleared the system before taking it in, and I guess it's possible they didn't test my machine because I shop there regularly enough? However, they weren't checking other people's machines either that day, so maybe it's not a policy here. You need to have valid ID in order to do a trade in, so if anything comes up with the system you trade in, they would be able to link it to you.

He can simply tell Wal-Mart the truth which is that he already owns a PS4 and won a brand new sku that he does not need and they will gladly take it off his hands after making sure the seal is not broke. I worked at Wal-Mart for 4 years they are very lenient on swaping out brand new big time seller skus for giftcards. There is no way in hell I would give Gamestop a brand new console for 175 store credit when they will sell it for full retail price.

Which is what I intend to do. Not looking to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. I'm going to call my local store when I get home from work and tell them I won one that I don't need and see what they'll give me for it. If they won't take it or offer under $175 I'll swing by Gamestop instead.

So if I have PT but I don't really care about it and all my access are backed up to the cloud I can just wipe my system and take it in and when I sign in on a pro it'll just let me redownload everything except PT?

dmann

What if you have a white PS4 (from the Destiny bundle) and swapped out the original HDD to 2TB? Would Gamestop give you additional trade-in credit? Or do I need to swap the original HDD back in before trading it.

I love my WiiU but.....I feel I can use this to get my PS4 Pro next week when I get paid. I can always go back and re-buy a wiiU anytime.

I'm amazed the Wii U has that much trade-in value without the promo. I'm tempted, but I have a feeling I'd live to regret that choice if certain games like Bayonetta 2 don't port over to Switch. Even with the announced ports, there are some worthwhile games that I expect to be tethered to the Wii U( W101, Tropical Freeze, Lego City). Anyone think they port over the Zelda HD titles?

xerzewatt

I do want an xbox one s but it is painful to let go of my elite and get nothing for the sshd. I might as well get rid of my old ps4 (overwatch machine in the study room) but I am not really planning to buy anything from gamestop.

I'm amazed the Wii U has that much trade-in value without the promo. I'm tempted, but I have a feeling I'd live to regret that choice if certain games like Bayonetta 2 don't port over to Switch. Even with the announced ports, there are some worthwhile games that I expect to be tethered to the Wii U( W101, Tropical Freeze, Lego City). Anyone think they port over the Zelda HD titles?

It seems like a given that Nintendo will bring over the Zelda titles in some form. It would be a shame to lose Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD, but I doubt Nintendo wants those to die on Wii-U.

Caja 117

I changed my PS4 hdd to 1 TB and Gaamestop will not accept this as a trade in, so Im not sure if I should just get myself a cheap 500gb HDD or what to do (like doing the trade in without telling them is 1tb and they dont notice this.), I really want to upgrade to the PRO, but Im no going to have 2 PS4.

http://www.gamestop.com/trade

So you'd get $175 for a PS4 or wii u, could put that towards a ps4 slim, ps4 pro, or xbox one S. They are running a special on Xbox One S, get a free controller when you buy a new xbox one - $299 for the gears of war 4 Xbox One S blue, so it would "cost" you $174 to upgrade and you'd get a free controller. Only PS4 special seems to be a free year of PS+ if you buy a slim, no deals on PS4 Pro.

You guys see that? Gamestop lowered the original trade-in value before this deal started.

I traded in my launch PS4 for a PS4 Pro 3 weeks ago and got $150, so it should be $200 they give folks.

MastAndo

Called Gamestop to be sure, and the employee on the phone made it a point to stress that if there are any scratches on the console or "damage" to the controller, they'll charge refurb fees, lol. I feel like this is an easy racket for them to run, knowing the customer is in there with a wiped system and likely not just going to walk out with it.

Caja 117

You guys see that? Gamestop lowered the original trade-in value before this deal started.

I traded in my launch PS4 (expanded to 1TB) for a PS4 Pro 3 weeks ago and got $150, so it should be $200 they give folks.
How? they told me they cant accept this.

and Yes they did lower the trade in value, by black friday was still 150 trade in value.

I traded in my launch PS4 for a PS4 Pro 3 weeks ago and got $150, so it should be $200 they give folks.

because they were running a extra 50% trade value then but dropped the the base value to $100 during the sale.

sensui-tomo

best deal was thanksgiving week with that tuesday/wednesday with the 50% added, tiv for a ps4 was i believe 185 or something(and worked on accessories as well)

its frankly surprising they are still giving $125 base trade values considering the PS4s are now 3 years old, the PS4 Slims are selling for $249 MSRP and $199 on sale. I 100% bet PS4 trade values will be $75 in january.

One other thing to keep in mind is that Gamestop runs B2G1F sales every few weeks, and sometimes it includes consoles. Their used console prices are crazy ($225 for a PS4 I think?) but it can work out pretty decent with a B2G1F. That said, I'd never buy a used console from gamestop considering how crappy I know some people treat their systems, pet hair, smoking, etc especially when if you are patient you can get fantastic deals on new systems.

Ran rp

They won't accept it if the rubber on the DS4 sticks have rubbed off, right?

edit:

welp

Called Gamestop to be sure, and the employee on the phone made it a point to stress that if there are any scratches on the console or "damage" to the controller, they'll charge refurb fees, lol. I feel like this is an easy racket for them to run, knowing the customer is in there with a wiped system and likely not just going to walk out with it.

its frankly surprising they are still giving $125 base trade values considering the PS4s are now 3 years old, the PS4 Slims are selling for $249 MSRP and $199 on sale. I 100% bet PS4 trade values will be $75 in january.

One other thing to keep in mind is that Gamestop runs B2G1F sales every few weeks, and sometimes it includes consoles. Their used console prices are crazy ($225 for a PS4 I think?) but it can work out pretty decent with a B2G1F. That said, I'd never buy a used console from gamestop considering how crappy I know some people treat their systems, pet hair, smoking, etc especially when if you are patient you can get fantastic deals on new systems.

Gamestop makes a fortune from used stuff. They'll take your 1 month old $59.99 game and give you $25. Then they will resell it for $54.99. If Gamestop was forced only to sell new they would be out of business. Their stores are already turning into a new version of Spencer's.

I'd trade in my Wii U (haven't turned the thing on in months) to prepare for the Switch, but I still remember the dumb-ass backwards procedure of getting digital content/licenses from the Wii onto the Wii U.

Knowing Nintendo, the same thing will probably happen and you'll only be able to transfer stuff if you have the old console alongside the Switch. I know it won't be backwards-compatible with the Wii U, but I can imagine the VC licenses still being transferred this way.

We know so little about the Switch still; it would be foolish of me to trade in my Wii U now on assumptions, rumors, and leaked info alone

Is it stupid to do this for a stable TLG framerate? I have no real interest in 4K at the moment or a PS4 Pro, but for $225 it's semi-tempting. I've made it a point to avoid shopping at GS but it seems like a way bigger hassle to sell my PS4 myself and buy a Pro. Still, I don't really care about anything other than TLG, but I want to experience it the best way I can.

If I go through with this I have to backup my existing PS4 to an external drive then restore it to the Pro? And I should deactivate and wipe before I bring it to GS? Feels dirty but the call of Ueda...

I'd trade in my Wii U (haven't turned the thing on in months) to prepare for the Switch, but I still remember the dumb-ass backwards procedure of getting digital content/licenses from the Wii onto the Wii U.

Knowing Nintendo, the same thing will probably happen and you'll only be able to transfer stuff if you have the old console alongside the Switch. I know it won't be backwards-compatible with the Wii U, but I can imagine the VC licenses still being transferred this way.

We know so little about the Switch still; it would be foolish of me to trade in my Wii U now on assumptions, rumors, and leaked info alone

That's my reservation as well, but fuck it. It's time for the NNID to do it's job. I bought the VC games, they should be able to know that

Top Bottom